Start by marking “Retained by the People: The ""Silent"" Ninth Amendment and the Constitutional Rights Americans Don't Know They Have” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The Ninth Amendment lurks like an unexploded mine within the Bill of Rights. Its wording is direct: “The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.” However, there is not a single Supreme Court decision based on it. Even the famously ambitious Warren Court preferred to rely on the weaker supp ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Basic Books (first published April 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Retained by the People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retained by the People

Neil Delaney
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good to be familiar with the history and significance of the 9th.
Smiley McGrouchpants
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As per Gödel, and his (much later) finding of the inherent incompleteness of any list (after deducing the number of mathematical truths are too numerous to ever discover them all as theorems), the Framers of the Constitution provided — in their oft-cited and rarely-disputed but not-often-emulated Wisdom — to make a provision (let's call it an "Amendment," shall we?) for Rights to be Enumerated, Later.

Scalia hates it.

Not surprisingly, it (as the author, here, adroitly points out) has none-too-few
Virginia
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: theory
never try to beat originalists at their own game...it's a losing battle. frankly, i don't care about what madison thought my rights were. he lived more than 200 years ago, and i don't consider 1789 the peak point in human history, from which all subsequent developments have been a falling away. i would hope that we have evolved somewhat since then and, dare i say it, i think that if we wrote a new constitution today, it could be better than the one we have now (as long as i get to decide who wri ...more
Paige
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Paige by: myself
Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a stoner, because all I can vividly remember about this book is learning that George Washington's Supreme-Court-serving nephew's name was Bushrod.

Seriously, though. It wasn't a GREAT book, but it was pretty informative regarding our Ninth Amendment.

I remember feeling frustrated because he kept repeating the simple stuff, I guess in an effort to hammer it home (and it worked), but every so often he'd mention something more complex, and I'd be wanting greater detail,
Dave
Dec 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Actually NOT read... (lasted a mere 11 pages) Farber is a statist idiot. Presupposing that the noble purpose of the 9th Amendment is to enable the Federal Judiciary to protect "the people" from the depredations of state legislatures. His love of the Social Contract Theory and the hideous 14th Amendment cast a pall upon whatever value I might have originally had for this book.

File Thirteen anyone?
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: political
The author, a lawyer, writes about the Ninth Amendment and how it has been shaped by political and social forces in order to strenthen some agendas and weaken others. He gives the impression that this Amendment is flexible and can and should be twisted from what the original Bill of Rights called for. Fairly well written.
Ashley
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: us-history
A very well written book about the Ninth and, in all fairness, 14th Amendments to the US Constitution. It offers apt historical reference, examines Supreme Court cases which relied--if not explicitly so--on the Ninth, and offers solutions for the problems plaguing our current use of the P and I Clause of the 14th.
Mark Flowers
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Anyone with an interest in civil rights should go out and read this book immediately. Including the entirety of the Supreme Court.
Douglas
Aug 06, 2014
Joel
Feb 04, 2014
Garland
rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2008