Start by marking “The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4)

The Mane Squeeze (Pride #4)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  11,823 Ratings  ·  522 Reviews
In Shelly Laurenston’s laugh-out-loud funny, deliciously sexy novel, a shape-shifting Grizzly and a single dangerous feline collide—and discover untamed, unstoppable attraction…

Growing up on the tough Philly streets, Gwen O’Neill has learned how to fend for herself. But what is she supposed to do with a nice, suburban Jersey boy in the form of a massive Grizzly shifter? Es

Kindle Edition, Original edition, 401 pages
Published October 30th 2009 by Kensington Books

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Project: Code Name Bear-Cat Stars

*Spoilers*

“I am not seven feet tall,” he snapped at her as if she’d really insulted him. “I’m six-eleven.” When she smirked in disbelief, he added, “And three-quarters.”

photo 9923454_zpso6ie9mj2.gif

The Mane Squeeze is the 4th book in the Pride series and has now taking the spot of my favorite book in this series. I loved everything about this book. Everything!! Lock is my new favorite hero of the series, bumping Eggie to second place and Gwen is my favorite heroine of this series by a lo
Catherine
I've been in the mood for funny lately and have been on a marathon of Laurenston's books. This is definitely one of my favorites in the Pride series. Lock and Gwen are so cute together and they are one of the most sane couples we have seen to date. They're sweet and happy together and most of the hilarious situations come from their dealings with their friends and family.

I absolutely loved Mitch through this book because I practically died laughing every time he was in a scene! He was constantly
Ally
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm totes in to playing with my toes too

bear toes

I mean, who wouldn't want to play with their toes whenever possible. Other than yoga. That's not playing. That's when you HAVE to touch your toes. Anyway....

Setting / Time / Genre: Current. NY.

Series: Oh yea and I am consuming them like nobody's biznass. I am going to have withdrawals when this series is over. You know that, right?

Sexy times:Uh huh. It's a Shelley Laurensexytimeton. Duh. So if the more descriptive of words puts you off...move on, nothing
Ridley
This book was like my neighbors: lots of crazy bitches fighting each other and arguing loudly and endlessly without saying a single thing of substance.

Hero made me want to buy a teddy bear, though. God, he was lovable.
Carisa
This was so good and funny, what a mismatched H/h and yet so perfect for each other. The author always gives the characters some of their animal traits and I just adored the bear hero. Everything worked for me, love story and subplots.
HERO is a Performer, a burnt-out former warrior who’s working towards his long-term goals, patiently but without pause. He’s very attracted to a she-lion with an overprotective family, and although he doesn’t know what a Bear like him can offer to a woman so differ
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
Bazillion re-read at this point.

I really love Loc and Gwen together!!! They were super amazing together and this book was truly entertaining. I loved Loc as a H, he was steadfast, calm, and realistic. But most of all, I love how he treated Gwen. Gwen is my type of girl. That girl that has only 1 ride or die friend, who will do anything for each other. Gwen just wants to escape from the confines of her family. Going not very far to NYC and flourishing there, it seems like fate from the amount of
Jasmine
Some days you want a story full of dramatics and violence, family-loyalty and Happily Ever Afters. This fit the bill ADMIRABLY.

"That's who we are! We sleep with other people's husbands and beat people up and set fire to things for money. I'm never going to get away from that!"
"Wait what?"
MrsJoseph
I quite liked this one! Much better than the last two, for sure. Lock is adorable and Gwen's brothers are idiots.

What I didn't care for was any of the sex - skimmed right over - and the dangling plot strings. Also, no real interest in Gwen, so... LOVED LOCK. :-D
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read: April 2014
Buddy read with Jo. Jo don't beat me up, it wasn't my fault! I just said I'll read a little at school and then... I finished te thing :|

Favorite quotes:
***don't read them while eating or drinking, accidents may happen***
Rubbing his chest where she’d hit him, Mitch glowered blindly across the street. “She’s up to something. She’s trying to keep Gwen here for some reason.”
“Maybe because they’re best friends and she’d rather Gwen be here than in Philly?”
“Oh, please. Blayne Thorp
Zeek
At his good friend’s wedding to Smith pack Alpha Bobby Ray “Smitty” Smith, Grizzly shifter Lachlan Macryrie decides the sexy little tigon (half tiger/ half lion) he happens upon is as irresistible as honey covered salmon. But a misunderstanding leads to a brawl causing her to slip thru his paws like his slippery favorite food.

Gwen O’Neill, mix breed shifter and sister to two severely protective lions, is a beauty. But does she follow in her Mom’s lioness pawprints and labor in the beauty industr
Katie(babs)
There are not many funny and loopy paranormal books that will have you laughing out loud and rolling your eyes at the same time. The Main Squeeze is definitely one of them.

Lachlan “Lock” MacRyrie is not really that interested in social events. But, since this seven foot tall grizzly bear shape-shifter from Long Island, New York has no choice and must to attend his good friend’s wedding, he’ll suck it up and pretend to enjoy himself. Lock enjoys the simple things in life, such as catching salmon
Smokinhotbooks K.C.
As my college English professor once told me, it’s harder to make people laugh than cry. This was after he gave me a C, but that is another post. This book made me laugh-out- loud. I had happy tears coming down my face. This also could have been due to my antibiotics, as I more than once wanted to swing in circles and shout, “weeee”. This book picks-up after Mane Attraction, (Sissy Mae and Mitch Shaw’s story), where we were introduced to Gwen, who is Mitch’s younger sister and she also happens t ...more
Larissa
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Previously Published on my blog: Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life

SPOILER FREE

I was a bit worried about these next few books in this series. I mean, they are all about characters that have had very little to no screen time so far. But, I should have know that I could trust the awesome Shelly Laurenston to deliver, because she ALWAYS will!

The Mane Squeeze is the story of Mitch’s {from The Mane Attraction} little sister, Gwen’s story. My first impression of Gwen when she first showed up a couple b
Melindeeloo
Forget shape shifters who make you want to howl, this one will make you want to cover yourself in honey!

I really liked the hero of Mane Squeeze, who can deny the charm of a seven foot drop dead gorgeous shifter in a kilt and as a grizzly shifter Lock MacRyrie has an understated danger about him that I found truly appealing and which allows this thoughtful sweetheart of a hunk the ability to make even the fiercest breed of shifters run for cover - or play dead.

For a Laurentson leading lady, the
Cindy
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
Good read. The hero's a 7 foot shifter [who we discover looks EXCELLENT in a kilt:] and just happens to turn into a grizzly bear. The heroine's a mere 5' 8" [practically a munchkin in the shifter world:] mixed-breed who just happens to be Mitch O'Neill/Shaw's little sister.

The author delivers her customary hot scenes intermixed with laugh-out-loud humor. Mix together plots [both nefarious and well intended:], shifter prejudices and politics, over-protective brothers [and their mates:], and girl
Bo
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REREAD DECEMBER 2017

I had to rerate this to a 5 star read because it's freaking awesome. I feel like any book I can reread more than a few times deserves it. Gwen and her 180 head turns, and Lock with his toe grabs still crack me up. If you're wondering what that means then read the book. 😊 It was just as wonderful, if not better than the first time I read it. Love this series!!!
*The Angry Reader*
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pr-uf
Loved Mr Mittens and the bear. The series is moving in a new direction here, and I dig it.

Penny Watson
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think it's pretty apparent why shapeshifters and romance became a successful genre. There is something inherently sexy and domineering and elemental about a wild beast. Strip away the humanity, and what you have left is a being who thinks about eating and survival and sex and protecting his pack and loved ones. There is nothing sexier than an intense, mysterious werewolf claiming its mate (oh, how I love you Vane Kattalakis).

I love serious, intense shapeshifters (Sherrilyn Kenyon). I love funn
Katie Michaels
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I feared every single shifter in the world of the Pride series was an over-the-top, bizarre, or arrogant joke, Shelly Laurenston proves me wrong. Only HALF of this couple fits the bill. Yes, tigon shifter Gwen is violent, bawdy and a bit, er, low class. But the hero, Lock, is actually kind of normal. At least, as normal as a guy who shifts into a grizzly bear can be. This is progress.

You may remember Gwen from the earlier books in the series. She is Mitch's half-sister from Philly. I m
Wicked Nyx
Ok, I am usually a fan of bad-boys, you know the ones - totally alpha, controlling, socially unacceptable, etc. I now have a new favorite type of hero - the Lochlan McRyrie type.

Lock is a grizzly shifter, nearly seven feet tall, over 300 pounds of muscle. He is sweet, funny, caring, considerate...and totally terrifying. Oh, and he looks *amazing* in a kilt! Obsessed with honey (naturally) and fixated on working his way into our girl Gwen's life.

Gwen is a hybrid, her mom is a notorious lioness a
Megan
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
re-read and the book is still fabulous.

Oh my God, I LOVED this book! Shelly Laurenston is my new favorite author. I love everything she writes. It all makes me laugh.

Lock is the greatest shifter ever on the face of the Earth. Gwen was hilariously crazy. Like she was kind of a nut job. She was terrified of doctors, thought they were going to harvest her organs. Im not quite sure why that was so funny to me but it was. Lock was extremely laid back. He is one of the best written bear shifters I ha
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

I don't know if I'm in a funk with this series but I'm not enjoying them as much as I did when I first started reading them. It seems like the same jokes are repeated over and over - her head turning, he's so big, she's scared of her sister-in-law. These were amusing the first time but by the 5th time I wasn't even smiling. The romance was cute. Now the hybrid will have a part bear, part tiger, part lion baby - what in the hell will that look like.

I'm going to take a long break from th
Emily
Gwen O'Neill is not sure what draws her to the handsome Grizzly Lachlan "Lock" MacRyie, but she seems to always find herself in his arms. When they "accidentally" bump into each other again, he finally asks her out, after all bears are deep thinkers. Lock has never met anyone quite like Gwen, sexy, unpredictable, and addictive and he can't think of his life without her in it.

Not sure why I kept putting this one to the side, thought it was fantastic. A lot of sub stories that could lead to more s
Georgie
Absolutely gorgeous beta-type hero is the best the thing about this. Shape-shifting is not a genre I'm familiar with, which may be why the rest of the book left me cold: it didn't seem to me that there was enough plot / development to sustain the book outside the frequent dog/tiger/wolf fights.
N.J. Walters
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you love shifters, you have to read Shelly Laurenston!
Sarah (A Weebish Book Blog)
This review was updated on A Weebish Book Blog as part of my TBT Review feature. Review publishes on 11/30/2017.

Hey y’all! PNR is one of my favorite genres, and Shelly Laurenston is one of the reasons why. She’s so talented at writing goofy, lovable, memorable romances that never grow old. THE MANE SQUEEZE is one such book. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve reread Gwen and Lock’s story and I still believe them to be one of the hottest couples of the Pride series.

I love Gwen and Lock so much I
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Bears! My first bear shifter book and what an impression it made! He may not be an alpha male but Lock's very size (6ft 11 3/4inch human and 10ft bear) and demeanour means he can pretty much do whatever he wants as evidenced by his treatment of the "kittens" Mitch and Brendon, sometimes forgetting he was still dragging them like battered ragdolls in his hands. He was very entertained by these two playthings, much to their chagrin...and need for a hospital afterwards. -LMAO!

Lock's bear nature was
Love 9 48 Jan 22, 2014 12:26PM
  • What a Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3)
  • Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1)
  • Sun, Sand, Sex (includes: The Long Island Coven, #1)
  • Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling #10)
  • Revelation (de La Vega Cats, #2)
  • Swan and the Bear (Furry United Coalition, #2)
  • Eternal Hunter (Night Watch, #1)
  • Primal Bonds (Shifters Unbound, #2)
  • Mary and the Bear (True Mates, #2)
Originally from Long Island, New York, Shelly Laurenston has resigned herself to West Coast living which involves healthy food, mostly sunny days, and lots of guys not wearing shirts when they really should be. Shelly Laurenston is also The New York Times Bestselling author G.A. Aiken, creator of the Dragon Kin series. For more info on G.A. Aiken's dangerously and arrogantly sexy dragons, check ou ...more
More about Shelly Laurenston

Pride (9 books)
  • The Mane Event (Pride, #1)
  • The Beast in Him (Pride, #2)
  • The Mane Attraction (Pride, #3)
  • Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5)
  • Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6)
  • Bear Meets Girl (Pride, #7)
  • Wolf with Benefits (Pride, #8)
  • Bite Me (Pride, #9)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • At Wave's End
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
“Sissy Mae Smith...stumbled into the room loaded down with even more bags. "You pack like a woman," she snarled when she finally dropped the luggage to the floor. "How can one man have so much conditioner?"

His mouth filled with French toast, Mitch pointed at his hair and snarled, "Tawny mane! Do you think this shit stays this beautiful on its own? It needs care and love! Which is more than I'm getting from you!”
266 likes
“Blayne turned her head to look at Gwen, but caught sight of Dee-Ann standing behind them.

"Ahh! Where the hell did you come from?"

"Momma says from the love she shares with my daddy," Dee calmly replied.”
87 likes