Start by marking “Beyond the Great Snow Mountains” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Great Snow Mountains

Beyond the Great Snow Mountains

From the American West to the Siberian coast, from Hollywood to the boxing ring, here are timeless tales of war, mystery, romance, crime, and punishment as only Louis L'Amour can tell them.

These stories are vintage L'Amour: A hard-bitten cattle driver is pitted against a man trying to steal his woman, the disappearance of a thousand head of cattle, and a plot t
Published April 4th 2000 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Great Snow Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Great Snow Mountains

Rhonda
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I picked this up at the library because I was in the mood for a western novel and like Louis L'Amour. The title does not mention that this is a collection of short stories written outside the genre for which he is best known. So I read 3 stories, which looked like 3 chapters and kept wondering when the author was going to tie the storylines together.
With that being said, the short stories all contained adventure but in about half of them I kept asking "How much longer till the end?"
A
Trevor Potratz
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book because it kept me wanting to read more. I recommend this book to anyone who likes action, fighting, suspense, and outdoor types of books. In this book a man is being framed for murder and has to search out all over the country side for the man who has committed the crime to clear himself. There are many obstacles along the way and he is tested in every way, on his way to find the murderer.
Nathaniel Winters
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Louis made writing look so easy and we know its not, Highly entertaining
his books were a link from pop literature to more serious books.

He always delivered good to great tails

Christine (KizzieReads)
Most of the stories were really good. I really enjoyed reading this and will probably pick up more from him.
Allen Perry
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of L'Amour stories set outside his normal western genre. I admit I was not a fan of the boxing piece but you can see the writers knowledge of the sport in the writing. The Grave Pit shows his flare for a good mystery. These fall well outside his normal style but they are well worth the time to read.
Jennifer Hughes
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fun, light summer read. I haven't read too many of Louis L'Amour's books, but I think they're enjoyable for a kind of literary snack. I liked seeing how he took on the short story genre. Some of the stories were better than others for me, but I'm still glad I read them all.
Matt Pitts
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling collection of (at least mostly) non-western short stories
Rod Innis
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book.
Betsy
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I much prefer his basic westerns
Milt
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
tread read. Much fisticuffs. Short story jabs. Last one had depth.
Nancy
Sep 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-with-randy
Started reading this with Randy, but after a few days he decided hr didn't like the short stories in this one. so we stopped reading it after 4 or 4 days.
Jennifer Uhlich
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: research
So I needed to read some good fight scenes, and someone suggested Louis L'Amour.

When I was a wee thing, and would go to various older relatives' houses, there were inevitably three books on the shelves: Gone with the freakin' Wind, Shogun, and something by Louis L'Amour. Maybe that's just a cultural thing, a late '70s/early '80s suburban East Coast kind of thing. Maybe they came with your Long Island cape-style postwar house (okay, maybe not, but you know what I mean.)

The
Paul
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime, historical
PLOT OR PREMISE:
A collection of ten short stories.
WHAT I LIKED:
"Crash Landing -- A great twist story, about a crashed plane and the man who takes charge to get everyone off before the plane slips off the edge of the snow-covered cliff.
Sideshow Champion -- A brawling boxer gets the championship fight of his life, but he knows the ones backing the champion are all crooked and will stop at nothing to bring him down. And he knows he has to get out of the limelig
Dylan
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1/12/11......... in the begging of the book i was confused and didnt really know what i was reading about. then it got interesting, about murder, cattle being stole and boxing. theres times through out the book its becomes a death spruts.id say i like the other books hes made more, so when im done reading this book it will be EXSPONGED from my memory.
1/19/11........... still havent finished it and this is the last summary i will do. there hasnt been much at all that changed in the book. its slo
Villager
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize that this was a collection of short stories when I first picked up the book. However, once I got over that issue ... I enjoyed each of the stories quite a bit. This is the first time that I realized that Louis L'Amour had interests belong simply 'westerns'. There are excellent short stories about boxing and also some great period pieces set in exotic locations around the world.
Ed
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Collection of 10 short stories from the pulp era - Western, adventure, boxing, crime drama, etc. The first of a series of four collections. This collection includes: By the Waters of San Tadeo • Meeting at Falmouth • Roundup in Texas • Sideshow Champion • Crash Landing • Under the Hanging Wall • Coast Patrol • The Gravel Pit • The Money Punch • Beyond the Great Snow Mountains
Veronica
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of 10 short stories -- from different eras, different locations, and not limited to the familiar westerns (althought there is a western tucked in there). Surprised by the historical fiction whose character is not named until the very end of the story (won't tell you who -- you'll have to read it yourself!)
Andrew
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another really great collection of Louis stories. My opinion has changed and I think he was in his native element with the short story since he seems to like abbreviated endings. Some collections I read earlier were mediocre compared with this very nice mix of detective, boxing, and western tales.
Bill Barker
I picked up this book expecting old west novel, but found contemporary short stories. They were not disappointing, even had Women as the heros in a couple-of course women were always a part of the plot. Simple, basic story telling-believeable plots, good adventures for a rainy afternoon in Kabul.
Jeff Anderson
Aug 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Collection of short stories, mostly about boxing, but there were a few in there about completely different topics (like being stranded in Mongolia, or Southern Chile). Good stories that made me feel like I had gone interesting places and known interesting people.
Tom Stevenson
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this collection of short stories. Kind of a departure from the Louis L'Amour westerns I've read - a sprinkling of various times, places and story lines. But all with Louis' ability to paint great word pictures. I bought it at a library hard cover book sale and really glad I did!
Ron
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
If there is anything better than a novel by Louis... it is his short stories.
The boxing is a little tedious, but overall - fun to read.
Peter Charleston
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice collection of short stories.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
A collection of Louis L'Amour short stories set in places ranging from Siberia to the plains and mountains of the American West. As usual, L'Amour does an excellent job.
Michael Garreffa`
One of my Favorite Authors
Clint Flatt
Jul 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A great collection of L'Amour's short stories. If your a fan you will not be supprised. If you have always wondered what makes him so great read these ther are several collections out there.
Keith Bell
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love anything by Louis. I've read these stories in the past in other books. Nice collection to past the time.
Thomas
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Always good to read another Louis L'Amour book.
Ross Dickinson
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of short stories by L'Amour. I read many of his novels a couple of decades ago. I love his style!
Rick
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great storyteller. Very enjoyable.

• The Tonto Woman and Other Western Stories
  • Talons of Eagles (Eagles, #3)
  • Last Of The Duanes
  • Autumn of the Gun (Trail of the Gunfighter #3)
  • Sermon on the Mount