Start by marking “Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)

Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  22,485 Ratings  ·  1,595 Reviews
Though a small town at heart, Lawrenceton, Georgia, has its dark side-and crime buffs. One of whom is librarian Aurora "Roe" Teagarden, a member of the Real Murders Club, which meets once a month to analyze famous cases. It's a harmless pastime—until the night she finds a member killed in a manner that eerily resembles the crime the club was about to discuss. And as other ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Berkley Books (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Real Murders, please sign up.

Rikki I think it just that the name is kind of silly and fanciful. Aurora isn't an uncommon name but it isn't something like Jennifer or Ashley. And…moreI think it just that the name is kind of silly and fanciful. Aurora isn't an uncommon name but it isn't something like Jennifer or Ashley. And Teagarden just comes across as a slightly silly last name. It conjures images of tea parties in meadows (for me at least). The combination of the two makes for a whimsical image that is counter to how Aurora the character is generally perceived.(less)

Jilly
Boring main character. Ugly love interests. (When someone is described as having a face with "character", you know he's not bringing the sexy). But, still a fun enough book because of the murders. The murders are all copycats of famous murders of the past.

I don't know if my murder radar was out or something, but I actually never suspected the killer in this story. I like when I'm surprised by murderers. It's makes it more exciting.

I never suspected this guy at all. I've been getting cozy with h
Shannon
I decided to read this on a plane trip because it seemed easy to read and get into without having to think too hard, which is good because I get sleepy on planes. I don't often read mysteries but I'm determined to read everything Harris writes. I like her other two mystery protagonists, Lily Bard and Harper Connelly, but I have to say I like Aurora Teagarden the least.

Aurora is pretty plain and boring, even without her being a librarian. She lives alone and doesn't even have a pet. She's 28 and
Angela
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading all the Sookie books, and then starting this series out of curiosity, I've realized that Charlaine Harris needs to quit preaching through her characters.

Both female characters, Sookie and Aurora (not sure about the other two), have mentioned more than once about not having a boyfriend and being lonely and envying people who do date, both want babies, neither one feels comfortable sleeping around, both feel they should be more religious than they are, and it gets old really fast. (B
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
DNF-
Disappointed. Within the first two chapters there were sexual innuendos and mentions of an unmarried couple having sex often and such along those lines. God's name was also misused.
There's a really good reason I don't read secular fiction and even books that were turned into Hallmark movies with a Christian actress aren't even safe to read.
Never thought I'd say I enjoyed the movie of a book better than the actual book.
Amy
I like reading Harris' Southern Vampire series and I am a librarian so I thought I would give her Aurora Teagarden series a mystery (Aurora is a librarian). At first I was a little overwhelmed with the cast of characters introduced off the bat (12+ characters, some significant, some not so much...). I did like that the murder was discovered within the first chapter or two. It is a drag when the murder happens 1/3 of the way through the book...
Overall I enjoyed this book. I was hoping that Aurora
Wanda
***2017 Summer Lovin’ Reading List***

A typical Charlaine Harris setting for this mystery series, a small community in the South. As per usual, Harris nails the small town details, the over-entwined lives, the importance of reputation, and the somewhat rigid social roles that people get pigeon-holed into.

Not an overwhelmingly wonderful mystery, but enough to keep me reading quickly right to the end and enough to encourage me to put a hold on the second volume at the library. It also h
Dagny
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harris-charlaine
The action started immediately, but it took me a while to get into the story. This happens to me frequently with the first book of a series. I read mystery series more for the characters than the actual plot, so I seem to spend the first book getting to know the characters. Once that was out of the way, I became more and more interested in the plot. When it took a turn I didn't see coming, it was a breathless read to the end.
Monica **can't read fast enough**
Good start to the series. Review to come.
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Boring
Rating: R
Overall: An entertaining read
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Try to stop a killer while dating
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Arthur

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This is another Audible Daily Deal that I picked up. I liked this story well enough to move on to book two to be sorely disappointed.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my blog post at:
COMING SOON 7/31/15

Audio Review
Thérèse Plummer did a good job at narratio
Kate
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this after hearing the Aurora Teagarden books were being made into a series of Hallmark made for TV movies. I figured the series must be fun if Hallmark was basing a whole set of movies on them, and I was right! This book was cozy, funny and well written. I liked the main character, who is a 28 year old librarian who belongs to a "real murder" club. When members of the club start dying in ways that are reminiscent of famous murders, she is thrust into the middle of the mystery. ...more
Stephanie
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
*4.5 stars*

I don't often read mysteries nowadays, but I loved the narrator's voice so much, it sucked me right in. I love librarian Aurora Teagarden, her intelligence, her sense of humor, and her deeply grounded, common sense attitude combined with her barely-hidden desire for adventure. I love her mom and her community, and for once, I'm actually really enjoying the love triangle Aurora is in.

(Normally, I really dislike love triangles and just have to shrug and cope with them when they appear
Jonathan
Sometimes you just need to read a book that gives you goosebumps. This was one of those books, filled with intrigue, mayhem, and copycat killers this book had me up half of the night last night reading and it was amazing.

The MC, Aurora was wonderfully written. When Aurora laughed you wanted to laugh, when she screamed you wanted to scream, when she fainted you wanted to faint. Ms. Harris did a simply wonderful job of writing Aurora as more than a fictional character, as an individual being, with
Katie Bock
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: murder-mystery loving Grandmas
Shelves: fun-meaty-reads
Like many readers, I love reading every book by Charlaine Harris. If I thought it would make her writing more prolific, I would donate $10 out of each paycheck to Ms. Harris..

That said, the Aurora Teagarden series is not the one I'd recommend to first-time readers. In it, I miss the darkness of the Lily Bard novels and the manic fun (and sex scenes!) of the ridiculously famous Sookie Stackhouse novels. However, it is nice to find a Harris novel I could recommend to Grandma - if Grandma liked mur
Jim
May 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Similar to Harris' other books, but without any paranormal elements. The heroine, Aurora, is pretty upbeat & interesting. She's 28, unmarried & has an odd hobby - she's a member of a club that discusses old murders. When club members start dying, she recognizes they're reenactments of old crimes & tells the police so. They don't believe her, so she is forced into figuring out who the killer is herself, but she doesn't jump into it with both feet. Very believable the way she stumbles ...more
Angela Miller
This is my second book series by Charlaine Harris and first book series that wasn't a YA series or paranormal but a first regular mystery series. I did enjoyed it though along with the twist and turns of the story. I picked this book up when I found out that there was a Hallmark movie about it and thought I would read the book series.
Tracy
Entertaining. Not brilliant but a good way to spend a few hours on a summer evening. I was surprised by the murderer and that is a good thing in a mystery novel.
Nikinnia Smith
I expected this book to be so much better than it was. I think I should've given it 2.5 stars. It was just ok. Aurora is no Lily Bard. She is a member of a club that reviews real murders(hence the title). Someone in their town is going around and committing murders that they have reviewed. The killer kills a member of the club, while implicating other members of the club by using something that belonged to the member as a murder weapon.
I had my suspicions about one of the members, but turns out
Jensownzoo
I started this earlier this week but just finished it today. Already a bad sign. I thought when I picked this up that it was a mystery novel with a librarian protagonist which was written by someone who's other work I rather enjoyed. Apparently, that was not enough to avoid a bad egg.

This book was sparely written, in descriptions of the setting as well as development of the characters. One or the other I could have forgiven if blown away by the remainder, but not both. It seemed like a book tha
Sophia
A small town Real Murders club in Georgia gets a shake-up when suddenly their murder club is seeing someone is staging contemporary murders to mimic the more grisly and infamous murders of the past. Aurora Teagarden leads a quiet, though slightly lonely life as a librarian in her town. She is comfortable in the knowledge that she has a routine and knows her fellow townspeople well until the night she discovers a fellow murder club member's body killed in a horrific manner and the scene and situa ...more
Pamela
Cheryl Landmark
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I'm an avid "Murder, She Wrote" and Agatha Christie fan and love those types of cozy mysteries involving amateur sleuths in small towns. The cast of characters and the mysteries are usually pretty diverse and interesting. This series by Ms. Harris does fall into that category, but wasn't quite as appealing to me as I would have liked.

Aurora "Roe" Teagarden was okay as a main character, albeit a little bit boring and staid for a 28-year old, but she never really did a lot
Laura Bang
Apr 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically made up entirely of tropes that I just don't like. The worst were the two love interests who are very territory males (ugh) and the fact that the main female character has complaints and/or dislike of every other female character.

Besides that, all of the characters lacked ... character. They felt like cardboard-cutouts of boring people. Very few details about the town either. The mystery was okay, but I just wasn't really invested since the characters were all so flat.

(I c
Piyali
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this book so much more than the Sookie Stackhouse series, primarily because I like reading stories about humans solving mysteries. Aurora Teagarden is a librarian in Lawrenceton, Georgia. She is a member of a club real murders where members get together and discuss true murders that happened in the past. But suspicions fall upon the members when a string of murders starts happening emulating some of the old murders that took place in the past. And our librarian protagonist is under sus ...more
a_tiffyfit
I'm commenting on the entire Aurora Teagarden mysteries series in this one review...

It is an OK series. The plotlines are entertaining, but the editing, in a word, SUCKS.

The names of the characters (last names) get screwed up, the spelling errors are abundant, the prose doesn't flow, and it makes you stutter as you read it.

That being said, I did enjoy the series. I read five of the books in one night. Easy read. Good brain dump.

Harris' Harper Connolly series is much better and with a lot fewe
Linda
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Linda by: other fans of Charlaine Harris
The first time I read this book was in 2010 and I finished it on May 2, 2010. This is my 2nd time reading it and I am really looking forward to it. Don't mind re-reading a book that is light, interesting but I love that main female character is a "librarian". Yay!!
Tari Hann
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this because I had seen the TV movie and knew it would be quite a bit different. So I didn't go into it expecting much of anything to be the same except of course for the characters I already knew something about. It moved along pretty fast and was interesting to read details that would have just been too much or not keeping with the mood of the TV station. The twists and turns were good and it definitely held my interest. Since I sort of knew who did it, I wanted to see how they ...more
Kelly-Marie
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Fantastic looooved everything about it. Charlaine Harris NEVER disappoints me. Worth so much more than 5 stars ✨
Suzanne
This was fun. Usually I have read a book and then watched the Hallmark version TV. This time I watched then read.
For me everytime I read an Aurora Teagarden book I will hear Candace Cameron Bure and Marilu Henner's voices. While picturing the written version of their characters.

I found the story to be basically the same as the tv version. Roe Teagarden belongs to a group called Real Murders which pulls apart and tries to solve unsolved murders from the past. Or those that have been solved and th
Dianne
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
4.5 Stars - Interesting Cozy, February 24, 2014

This review is from: Real Murders: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery (Kindle Edition)
I am one of the readers that did not expect Aurora Teagarden to take on the same characteristics as Sookie Stackhouse. And I thank heavens that this series is the complete opposite.
This is more of a cozy mystery with a little (very little) titillation thrown in. More on this later! ;-)

The gist of it is that Aurora belongs to a group of avid readers that love to read abou
Rhia
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd give this a try because I'm a fan of murder mysteries and loved the Sookie Stackhouse novels.

It was terribly disappointing.

Aurora is incredibly dull. No, not because she's a small town librarian. There's just no personality there. She doesn't seem to have any habits or hopes & dreams or anything.
I think in the hands of another author, there is a lot of potential for a cute librarian with a quirky name! Sadly, Charlaine did not do this character justice.

Same goes for the two
  • Bookmarked For Death (Booktown Mystery, #2)
  • A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, #1)
  • The Missing Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #1)
  • This Pen for Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (A Magical Cats Mystery, #1)
  • The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery, #1)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Haunting Jordan (Port Chatham Mystery #1)
  • Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1)
  • Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Mystery #1)
  • Defending Angels (Beaufort & Company, #1)
  • Crime Seen (Psychic Eye Mystery, #5)
  • The Remains of the Dead (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #1)
  • The Witch's Grave (Ophelia & Abby, #6)
  • One Bad Apple (Orchard, #1)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)
“I gripped the stapler even harder and felt like a fool planning to battle a crazy man with a stapler that even, I suddenly remembered, contained no staples. Well, strike that line of defense.” 13 likes
“I settled opposite him in my favorite chair, low enough that my feet can touch the floor, wide enough to curl up inside, with a little table beside it just big enough to hold a book and a coffee cup.” 4 likes