Start by marking “K-ON!, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
K-ON!, Vol. 1

K-ON!, Vol. 1

(K-On! #1)

When their high school's pop-music club is about to be disbanded due to lack of interest, four girls step up to fill the membership quota. Unfortunately, lead guitarist Yui Hirasawa has never played an instrument in her life. Ever. And although she likes the idea of being in a band, standing in front of the mirror posing with her guitar is a lot easier than actually ...more
Published November 30th 2010 by Yen Press (first published April 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about K-ON!, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about K-ON!, Vol. 1

Start your review of K-ON!, Vol. 1
Pooja
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I'm so glad to add this book from my childhood days.

Those were the time, I used to wait a lot for the show to come on tv, watching the opening song, writing its lyrics both it English and Romanji in my diary and singing its songs all day long!

When I got my eyes on this manga series, I couldn't get hold of myself. I am such a fan of anime+music+school manga-drama!

The series is about 4 girls who are trying to make a Light Music Club in their school and going through auditions for it.
It's hard
Danielle
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
So this is the first time I read manga in this format. I was sometimes tempted to go from the upper right corner to the left (but it goes right down then to the left). Once I got the chapter down I got used to reading in this format.

It's a cute simplistic series about girls wanting to keep the pop music club alive. I will have to see if the library has the second volume.

Also at the very end, they have a nice easy to read pages for how to read music and how to play some basic chords for the
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
This was a cute manga about 4 young girls who start a band.
There are funny moments throughout
I liked the story but did lose interest a couple of times.
I also wasn't too keen on how it was structured with comic boxes. Would have preferred if it was a little like other manga without the boxes.
Other than that was a good read.
Charmaine (CharmySketches)
I really enjoy the anime but the K-on! Manga isn't as funny or sweet. Many of the character's personalities are very different than the anime, Mugi was the most egregious example of this. Lastly, the art was a bit lacking in my opinion. The anime has a distinctive style, yet the art style in the manga looks very generic. Not sure if I'll be collecting or reading the rest of this.
Jj
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-books-list
I found my self interested in the beginning but as the book go on. It got dumb and very silly. It started to loose it's interest. But I hung in there till the very end. But in some aspects it could have and should have been better. Because the story it self. Had a good thing going. But just did t last long.
Martyna
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This manga was fun and the characters were cute; that's all it really had to offer. Just a very "meh" manga I may check out the anime but again, it's not necessary something I'm entirely compelled to do. I'll be reading the second volume just because I already own it but I probably won't be reading/looking for the third volume.
Emily
Jun 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't care for the layout, there is no variety. Also, most manga goes from right to left for the first panels on the page, then go down, top to bottom. This one reads right side all the way down, then left side all the way down.
MC
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
K-On is a funny and endearing manga by manga artist Kakifly (his pen name). It is part of the cutesy genre of slice-of-life school girl stories. Such stories are not necessarily geared towards girls. In fact, they often are not. Instead, they are usually geared towards adult men. This is partially due to wish fulfillment. Japan has one of the lowest birth rates in the Western world, so this type of story is popular among people who want kids but don't have them.

The story begins when two best
Chibineko
I initially resisted the impulse to get this series because I just didn't understand its appeal. It's similar in tone and format to Lucky Star, so I was pretty surprised when I just sort of flipped through it and shrugged. Maybe it was just that it was too similar in tone that I just couldn't appreciate it initially?

In any case, I ended up giving this another try later on and I'm glad I did. It'll never be one of my absolute favorite series, but it's very cute and light- something I really need
Holly Letson
I was really excited, when my father brought this home for me, almost 2 weeks ago. Since I had loved the *K-On!* and *K-On!!* anime(s) so much, I knew that loving the manga was a sure bet for me. And, sure enough, this recaptured all the fun of the series for me as I read it.

But, I did find that it took me a little time getting used to reading the story up-and-down, instead of from side-to-side. And, it also really bugged me that they called the club "The Pop Music Club" instead of "The Light
Selena
There are some things that just work better as an anime.

K-ON is one of them.

K-ON is a 4Koma comic (4 panels). It's a bunch of semi-related shorts about the adventures of the "pop music club." It's a goofy little moe manga, but the anime definitely worked better for me. As is usually the case for me, music-related stories and manga don't mix very well.
Lisa
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
I don't think I will read the following volumes. It was kind of cute though.
Devin (Mostly Manga)
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
It's nothing ground-breaking, despite its popularity, but it's funny, heart-warming, and incredibly cute. A perfect read when you need something to lift your spirits!
Mikayla Young
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the music aspect. A really funny manga to read.
Katrina Hammock
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute manga!!! Love it, and I relate so much.
Kaleigh Robbins
Very cutesy and brainless. Guitars are the only original thing about this school girl romantic lesbian-tease manga.
Sierra Guy
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Can't wait to read the next one!
Michael
May 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Immaculate tone/linework, but totally vapid and predictable. Not to mention creepy. Very, very creepy.
Jai
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm super fond of K-On!, having watched the anime like 5011 times already.

The art in this is a bit awkward to me and I cannot pinpoint why. Overall, a fun read. I'll be getting the rest in this series.
Steven
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute little comedy manga. My first attempt at reading a yonkoma and it was a challenge getting my panel order right. I'm gonna be picking up more of this series because I wanna see more misadventures of these adorable girls.
Donniesands
Very disappointing. Lots of nothing but gorgeous character design is a plus.
James
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Cute and sarcastic. I enjoyed this book. I learned a bit about guitars as well.
Adriana
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Not my thing, but it had interesting moments.
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute, but not really a lot of depth. Full review to come.
Hayley
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute and fluffy. Not a great deal of plot, but that's not really why I picked it up. Will definitely be picking up the next volumes in the future.
Adam
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little slice of life story. Nothing much happens, but it's drawn well and it's entertaining.
Melanie
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
K-ON has a similar atmosphere to Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star, but with far more fanservice. Kinda cool and cute, but not the kind of story for me.
Booknerder42
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kara
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: need-to-log-it
This was one of the first manga's I ever read, it defiantly got me hooked!
Miz Moffatt
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Full review posted on Across the Litoverse

Note: Series Review

K-ON! follows the lives of four high school students who band together to save their school's pop music club from the chopping block. At Sakuragaoka Girl's High School, the once-popular music club's membership has dropped to absolute zero when the girls enter their first year. Ritsu Tainaka, the official drummer and the self-proclaimed president of the club, recruits her best friend Mio Akiyama as the band's bass player. The duo catch
« previous 1 3 next »
Shoujo Manga Book...: K-ON! Discussion 3 18 Jan 23, 2015 12:00PM

• DRRR!! Durarara!! 1 (Durarara!! Manga, #1)
  • 暗殺教室 3 [Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 3] (Assassination Classroom, #3)
  • Black Lagoon, Vol. 1
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition Volume 1
  • 文豪ストレイドッグス 1 [Bungō Stray Dogs 1]
  • Toradora! Vol. 1
  • Little Witch Academia, Vol. 1 (Little Witch Academia, #1)
  • Highschool of the Dead, Band 1
  • Poemas de Álvaro de Campos (Obra Poética IV)
  • Fruits Basket Collector's Edition, Vol. 1
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #1)
  • 暗殺教室 2 [Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 2] (Assassination Classroom, #2)
  • Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku, Vol 1 (Otakoi: Otaku Can't Fall in Love?!)
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1
  • Arki 1 (Nichijou, #1)
  • PSYREN-サイレン-7
  • The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 11
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 22 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #22)

K-On! (6 books)