Start by marking “RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel” as Want to Read:
RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel

RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel

Most serious runners dont realize their potential. They simply stop getting faster and dont understand why. The reason is simple: most runners are unable to run by feel. The best elite runners have learned that the key to faster running is to hear what their bodies are telling them.

Drawing on new research on endurance sports, best-selling author Matt Fitzgerald explores
Published May 24th 2010 by Velo Press (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about RUN, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about RUN

Start your review of RUN: The Mind-Body Method of Running by Feel
David
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
It's rare that a running guide does not contain any training schedules for the 5k, 10k, marathon, etc. Rarer still is a running guide that makes reference along the way to Kierkegaard, Sartre, and Spinoza. But both of these are characteristics of this book by Matt Fitzgerald, who also wrote BRAIN TRAINING FOR RUNNERS among other books.

RUN is in some ways a continuation of BRAIN TRAINING, though to some extent it's a repudiation of the earlier book. BRAIN TRAINING, whose premise is "running
Sebastian
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on running I have ever read.

First of all let me start by getting something out of the way. If you are looking for a book that tells you to just go out and run at whatever pace you feel like without pushing yourself and that you will be a superstar doing that, this is not it. Actually, any book that would claim that to be the recipe for success would be worthless.

What this book does do is give you insights as to how to listen to your body and use that when determining
Tina
Sep 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: running
My favorite tips from Matt Fitzgerald's book Run: The Mind-Body Method of Running By Feel:

Focus on the good, like your great pace and how this is where you want to be, when running is hard.

The capacity to tolerate suffering is trainable.

After each key workout and race, ask yourself whether you held back at any point to spare yourself from suffering. If you did, vow to do better next time.

Consciously try to beat your recent times throughout the training process, and include plenty of
Shira
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am loving this book. Fitzgerald writes about running with so much humility and grace. I read a chapter and feel an urge to run. It's wonderful!

EXCELLENT!

Attention, Crossfit, devotees, there is a section in here for you!
Danielle Bessette
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really practical training advice, whether youre a novice or advanced runner. Ive been running competitively for over a decade and still found so many really helpful pointers for tuning into your body to hone in on your training and get faster. Im a solid proponent that every body and mind is different, so we should approach training differently and through listening to our bodies. This book helps guide a runner through that calibration process while emphasizing maximum enjoyment all the while. ...more
Jennefer
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great book with good information as to how to go about running by feel. The subject is covered in a very thoughtful and persuasive way. The book feels grounded and not to 'touchy feely'. Not only are the authors personal experiences used to illustrate his points but he also uses scientific data to back them up. I would highly recommend this to all runners of all experience levels.

For a more detailed review check out my blog Running and Other Things
Charlie De kay
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has been my companion for weeks. I found it challenging to read large stretches at a time, but always worthwhile. After getting it from the library and unable to finish before my renewals ran out, I purchased my own copy. I am so glad that I did.
Quite simply the most compelling guidebook and thoughtful resource that I have across as a new runner. After reading numerous Runner's World and Men's Health and other introductory books, not to mention biographies of coaches, and memoirs, this
Andy
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Between 3 and 4 (3 I liked, 4 I'd recommend). I just got weighed down by the endless examples and explanations. Overall it was helpful to change some ideas I had (ie beliefs I was glued to) and challenge me to continue to learn about this sport.
Lara
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, athletics
This book is challenging and motivating. Fitzgerald writes in a clear and engaging manner, and the way he thinks about running is far more sensible and nuanced than most fitness "experts" out there. This one's going to be a go-to training reference.
Alexandra Chubachi
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
Very inspiring and motivating. Lots of practical techniques, both mental and physical, to work on!
Chris
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Generally, interesting ideas presented here. Bogged down a bit in a couple sections. But, overall, I'm glad to read it.
Lucy Georges
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting, but the book is clearly aimed at only the fastest among us. All the examples given involve speeds of high-level male runners. Oh well.
Stuart Sellers
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this, definitely inspired me to be more intuitive and less rigid with my training in future!
Elad Zoarets
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book.
If you are tun or do some other sport then this is a book for you.
I learn a lots from this book.
It make me understand the mind and the body process in a training for a marathon and the connection between them.
It is written in a very simple and understanding language.
Debbie Morrison
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The book, "Run: The Mind Body Method of Running by Feel" provides experienced athletes with a thoughtful, unique approach to training for endurance events with a method that combines recent scientific studies on athletic performance, proven training principles and `gut feel'. Though the book focuses on running, the concepts are applicable to endurance events in general. Author Matt Fitzgerald is not new to coaching; he is a professional coach, experienced endurance athlete and author of several ...more
David
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
interesting treatise on his advocacy of more intuitive approach to training, as opposed to following pre-scheduled workout plans. Applies this concept to a number of areas - what workouts to do on what days, trying to perfect your stride by focusing on "running beautifully" rather than doing form drills, working with and learning from your anxiety or anger rather than trying to use techniques to quell them, etc. etc.

He never uses the term "central governor" for some reason, but point of
Geoff P Brierley
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Currently reading through this book, and I've found myself questioning some elements before making my mind up on them. With hindsight this can only be a good thing and in fact the book has so far been a most useful one to read, giving me pages of notes to consider whilst I put my own training plan together for next year.

Run is not a simple book, it covers a large range of material and requires attention to its considerable range of topics. This is only for the best however, given the quantity
Margaret
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
You always have to be cautious of "experts" who tell you that every book they've written prior to the one you're reading now is wrong and that they've changed their minds and believe now that "this"...THIS is the way to go about doing things now. That's how I first felt about Matt Fitzgerald's book, and I approached the material cautiously, keeping an open mind about the information provided.

It's a good book, there's a lot of stuff in there that's pretty inherent (like, if you're tired, don't
Paul Deveaux
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best written books on running that I have read. The author explores the mental and emotional facets of running while still retaining the physiological elements. What Fitzgerald does is define a way to individualize training, for yourself or for an athlete you coach. A lot of other coaches will espouse this idea but not explain the parameters of individualized training. Fitzgerald does exactly that. He draws from both peer reviewed studies and anecdotes from elite runners to ...more
John
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, running-books
I still had a few pages to go actually but the book was so good I had to give it to an athlete I coach because I kept thinking of her the whole way through. This book backs up what most good coaches and runners know: you have to listen to your body, but you also have to work hard. Knowing how to work hard but smart (not hammering on easy days for example) is a big challenge for runners. It is far to easy to fall prey to the numbers. I summarize this in my own little credo, with apologies to ...more
Andreas Michaelides
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book taught me to use my feelings to device my running schedule, also taught me not to be so hard on myself if I didnt do what ever the training program says.
What I got from this book is that its ok to run less one day and run more another day even if it's not schedule to it.
I managed with the help with his book to recognise when I had enough and when I could give more.
A highly new concept that anyone that wants to get involve or is already a runner should read and also practise and
Annabelle Winters
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd recommend this book to anyone who has completed at least two marathon (or half marathon) training cycles and who wants to improve. For me, this book was an extended exercise in validation as it basically supported how I train. As with most of his work Fitzgerald makes a lot of the science (and non-science) behind accepted (and criticized) training practices accessible to the reader. I'm not sure the last chapter which summarizes the book was needed, it's basically cliff's notes of the ...more
Starfire
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Nope, sorry, Mr Fitzgerald, but your book was not what I was looking for at this time. Maybe I'm currently overread on running books; maybe with all the reading I'm having to do at work, I just need something a little less dense and demanding (maybe it's that now that I'm researching an eBook, my non-fiction reading pile is filling up too quickly with other stuff I actually NEED to read)

Whatever the story, I'm afraid this one simply didn't draw me in. C'est la via, and on to the next
Eric
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book for seasoned runners. Matt is a serious and continual student of running. He works hard to keep up with all of the evolving science on the oldest sport. For that reason, I would recommend whatever his latest book is most to my fellow runners. However, this book might be most applicable to a runner whom finds himself stuck in a rut or losing enthusiasm for what they once loved. Based on Matt's belief, there is real hope for both simultaneously.
AlysIndy
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I think this book is more for type A folks who don't know how to chill and listen to their bodies. Do yoga, relax, and turn off the heart monitor! I'm not the target audience, for sure, but I like his writing and I learned a lot about the psychology of runners. And I loved the quote from the African record breaking marathoner who said at the finish line, "I could have run faster!"
Peter Quist
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-it-up
This just didn't do anything for me. Found it very repetitive and in general not interesting. Too much elevated common sense. Gave up on it. Running by feel is elementary to me. Running is a body-moving action and attentiveness is key to development and enjoyment. Forget music, monitors, watches etc and just enjoy the run. "If you run on and with the earth, you can run forever".
Travis
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book on how paying attention to effort can make training not only more enjoyable but more productive.
Jeremy
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
One of the better running books out there. It's more concerned with the nuts and bolts of what makes training effective than it is with spoon-feeding you an approach that's guaranteed to work, and that makes it a lot more interesting than most stuff I've read on the topic.
Sam
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the better running books I've read. It's not about plans and training so much as the mental side and improving performance by listening to your body. Much better than Fitzgerald's earlier book "Mental Training..." which was a bit ca-ca-cuckoo in places.
Ethan
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Fitzgerald knows how to make training books fun to read. While this wasn't as good as Racing Weight, it still offered valuable advice propelled by runners' vignettes about how listening to their bodies makes them faster.

• Lore of Running
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • Once a Runner
  • Again to Carthage
  • Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
  • Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
  • The Athlete's Guide to Recovery: Rest, Relax, and Restore for Peak Performance
  • The Bachman Books
  • Language and Politics
  • Innocent Erendira and Other Stories
  • Women of Sand and Myrrh

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Matt Fitzgerald is the author of numerous books on sports history and endurance sports. He has enjoyed unprecedented access to professional endurance athletes over the course of his career. His best-sellers include Racing Weight and Brain Training for Runners. He has also written extensively for Triathlete, Men's Fitness, Men's Health, Outside, Runner's World, Bicycling, Competitor, and countless ...more

News & Interviews

“Confidence is not some nonphysical quality snatched from the spiritual dimension and installed in the mind. It is the feeling that arises when the body's knowledge of itself is in harmony with a person's dreams.” 1 likes
“Some say there’s no magic formula. I say there is. It’s just that the magic is different for everyone.” 0 likes