Start by marking “Infected (Infected, #1)” as Want to Read:
Infected (Infected, #1)

Infected

(Infected #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  18,994 ratings  ·  1,652 reviews
Across America a mysterious disease is turning ordinary people into raving, paranoid murderers who inflict brutal horrors on strangers, themselves, and even their own families.

Working under the government’s shroud of secrecy, CIA operative Dew Phillips crisscrosses the country trying in vain to capture a live victim. With only decomposing corpses for clues, CDC epidemiolog
Published April 1st 2008 by Broadway (first published 2008)

·  18,994 ratings  ·  1,652 reviews

Start your review of Infected (Infected, #1)
Stephen
Gee...um...well...this was...uh... blue-in-the-face
...severely frustrating.

It had an interesting premise, a solid story, and truly excellent horror elements…BUT it also had shitty characters, and dialogue that grated on my nerve clusters bad enough to leave me irked with the entire effort.
facepalm-baby

Such a hope-dashing, bitter disappointment this was for me. After really enjoying Ancestor some time ago, I was looking to Sigler to become a new staple for me in the realm of science-horror. Now, after this miss, it lo
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This book should cause me to lose a few pounds because now my stomach is queasy.

When I started the book I was all fangirl because I love some contagion books. Yes, I know I have weird tastes in books.

Some kind of contagion is sweeping a town, it causes people to go completely nuts and to kill the people around them. A seventy something year old Grandma kills her son because of it.
Then before the bodies of the assailants can be looked at they rot, completely turn to mush, and an odd fungus lo
mark monday
Sep 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
dude if you can't even read your own novel effectively then hire someone! I for one am not a fan of overly emphatic narration that sounds like the reader has too much saliva in their mouth. and it's right there inside of my ears. spit or swallow, Sigler! it was so gross that I didn't even have a chance to get grossed out by the plot itself. and I doubt! that every sentence! ends! in an exclamation! point! or a breathy whisper. even worse: female characters voiced by the author as high-pitched ni ...more
Mike (the distracted librarian)
Listened to the audio book during my commute. Always love it when authors read their own books as long as the performance is somewhat decent. Ended with a cliffhanger so I look forward to reading contagion! 3.49999999 stars but I'll round up to 4 cause I'm a nice guy.
Michael
May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scott Sigler is one of those new fangled podcast novelists who is revolutionizing the publishing industry. Sigler offered audiences his first couple of novels free to the whoever wanted to download them. Through hard work and shameless self-promotion, Sigler got his name out there, drew in audiences and created a network of 30,000 plus rabid fans who couldn’t wait for the next insallment or novel.

Eventually, the publishing industry took notice and signed Sigler to a contract to put his stories i
Karen’s Library
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, horror, signed
This was truly one of the grossest books at times and I'm surprised I didn't have nightmares. And... I loved it!!!

I have a signed copy and the inscription reads "Save Perry's balls!" I caught on about halfway through!

There is science, and itching, and more science, and alien things, and gore, and more gore, and... You really have to read it!!

Sigler is a master storyteller of this genre!! I have Contagious open and ready to go!!
Michael
Nov 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book did nothing for me. If you're going to give me action, then give me action I can believe and not have to stop every other page and question what I'm reading. If you're going to give me violence and gore (and be warned, there is a lot of violence and gore here) then give me violence and gore I can believe and not something just for the sake of writing something violent.

The concept of alien spores growing in humans was easier for me to swallow than anything else in this story and when it
Cathleen
Well-plotted enough, I suppose, but most definitely NOT my kind of read. Incessant foul language, manic violence, graphic gore, and grating characters. Ending wasn't what I'd expected (not a compliment), and I weary of obvious sequel set-ups.

audiobook note: Authors rarely do a good job reading their own works, and Sigler even acknowledges that he can't do female voices. He's right.

Mauoijenn
AWESOME!!
Totally awesome.
Love this first book.
I was getting the creepy-willies all while reading it.
Mandy Moody
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott Sigler is a podcast author - #1 on every aggregator, icluding Itunes. Infected is his first published novel. I picked it up because the cover looked cool, and the title sounded creepy. The short synopsis inside the front cover convinced me to buy it.
Boy, was I glad I did!
Infected is an original story that's well told, thought provoking, and fun to read. The characters are well written and believable and the story is intriguing.
This book gave me the feeling that all this was happening in r
Jul 21, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book, by an author who formed fan base by writing chapters for podcasts, had a lot of promise. However, that promise was never fulfilled. The premise of the book is either an alien invasion or a bioterrorist attack (we're never really told) on some unsuspecting souls in western Ohio and northern Michigan. We're introduced to characters like Margaret Montoya, a doctor with the CDC who wants to stop this thing and advance her career, and "Scary" Perry Dawsey, a former U of Michigan linebacker ...more
Nicole (( lost in the book's world ))
WHAT. THE. FUCK?!

Um. I was excited to read this book because few many people said it's zombie. I WAS LIKE, HELL YEAH!

Well, nope...

OK...I think this book...well, what I think of this book...

When Perry were trying to get things out of his body...SKIN...

THAT'S DISGUSTED

AT THE END OF BOOK, I was like..

I don't want the damn thing inside of my body...

I REPEAT, WHAT. THE. F.U.C.K.!
Alondra Miller
5 Stars

Not sure where to begin, but one place I can start.... the gore. I have read bloody things before; but the mutilation even made me wince; and that is saying something.

This book is about infection gone astray, awry, ballistic, crazy, on acid, on uppers, on downers, on some real -ish. See there are these minute "seedlings"...and they get in your system; once there...bad things start to happen.

This book is not for the squeamish, so tread lightly. It is, however, perfect for horror/sci-fi r
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Infected is a crazy, impressive concept that's written from every possible viewpoint. An infection like nothing the world has ever seen before begins taking over people's bodies. Through Perry, we see the infection through the eyes of someone who has it. Through Margaret, we see it from the medical standpoint. Through Dew, the government's though process. We even experience the infection from the standpoint of the infection itself. It's fantastic to see everything going on from these different a ...more
Erika
4 gruesome stars.

It's been 4 years since I read this book, and yet I still managed to cringe when I stumbled upon the book's cover while surfing Goodreads. Why is this such a surprise to me? Partly because I don't usually remember the details of many of the books I've read, unless it's super good. Why did I cringe? Because this book is GROSS AS FU...!!!

Let's be clear: I don't gross out easily. I grew up watching scary/gross movies and reading scary/gross books. I also have 3 younger brothers, wh
11811 (Eleven)
4.5 stars. This was an excellent sci-fi/horror that begs to be adapted into a David Cronenberg film (with good old fashioned special effects, none of that CGI crap.) I listened to the audio version narrated by the author as a free podcast download from iTunes. The production quality was top-notch and I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Marc-Antoine
Extremely gory, the main character is one tough a..hole. My stomach actually churned a few times.
Mike (the Paladin)
Well....humm, this review is going to be a little mixed. First I gave it 2 stars, but I think I'm going to at least try the next book in the series.

Now, why the rating and why try the next book?

Well, the idea behind the book is interesting. As movie goers and readers already know. For example (view spoiler) The book was interesting enough that I found I wanted to see how the writer worke
Terry
Fun sci-fi/horror crossover. Honestly, I could image this as a movie pretty easily. The action was intense, kept me entertained and had me thinking all along that this isn’t so far off from being a real possibility. I listened to the audiobook, which was narrated by the author, and felt he did a pretty good job - good enough that I’ve downloaded the sequel already.
Becky
This book has been on my wishlist since 2008, but it just never really made its way into my hands. Until now, when we have a couple things align to make that happen. The first thing that it's October. I love October - it's my favorite reading month, the month when I read all sorts of demented horror-y stuff all month long and don't feel a bit guilty about it. Err... not that I do anyway, but, y'know, I try to vary my reading and stuff. So, right, October, horror required. Check.
The next thing i
Angela
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, sf
I wanted to like this book. I was ready to let it entertain me with its creepy-sounding premise: alien spores infecting hapless human beings and turning them violent and delusional, while directing them to some mysterious purpose. Meanwhile the government has to race to figure out what's going on before word of the violence spreads to the general public--and before the aliens become enough of a genuine threat that military action must be taken.

Okay, cool, I thought. However, the book that that p
OssifrageRage
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Wow, Scott really goes for the gross-out here. Look out Stephen King. I find Scott's books very readable (what does that even mean?) Ending was abrupt. Possibly setting up for a sequel. I want to know more about it! I may even have nightmares.

S P O I L E R S B E L O W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did anyone else get EXTRA creeped out by the association with Morgellons? Look it up if you haven't, I thought I was being April Fool's day spoo
Tressa
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2011, age-adult, sci-fi
The government has been tracking a strange disease with numerous outbreaks in the Michigan area. The infected seem to go insane and kill people before violently killing themselves, and by the time the head CDC researchers get to the bodies, they are in a state of rapid decomposition and they have found barely enough evidence to show that there is some kind of foreign parasite involved. They find the infected through use of the word "triangle."

Perry, a former football star and recovering rage-aho
Shorty
What a weird, violent and bloody novel. It wasn't my kind of horror novel, and I didn't like the characters in it, or the author's narrating voice at all. But for some reason, I continued to listen to the podcast form of the audiobook throughout the entire novel. I kind of wanted to know if these infections were alien in nature (which was my guess from the beginning, not knowing anything about the novel before reading it), or man-made.
Well you find out near the end, which helped. But like I sai
Doug
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi/Horror Fans
My entry into the genius world of Scott Sigler. The guy knows how to write. And this story of an "inner invasion" kept me on the edge of my seat. Sigler's books are not for the squeamish, nor the kiddies. Since that time I have enjoyed numerous novels and short stories by this new media master of the macabre. But Infected will always have a special place in my heart. And my kidneys. And my leg...
Heather
Meh! 2.5 stars
I had high hopes for this one, as I am thoroughly enjoying my journey through the Generations Trilogy. Completing this one was truly a struggle for me. The main idea is brilliant. I am not sure why I could not dig in and enjoy this book.
The Behrg
DNF. Not for me. And the little sci-fi sound effect between chapters on the audiobook was not something I'd consider an enhancement.
Faanga
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Book is hands down awesome.
Henri Moreaux
Oh my this was good. Real good.

A unique thriller involving a mysterious infection that is turning people violent... and more.

Well written, good pace, plenty of atmosphere, a real pleasure to read. It's the sort of book that you'll stay awake to finish rather than taking care of those pesky needs like sleep.

I am looking forward to digging into the latter 2 parts of the trilogy to see where this heads!
The NoSleep Podca...: April 2018 Book of the Month: Infected by Scott Sigler 1 13 Mar 26, 2018 09:16AM
Judging Book Cove...: New Episode Out! 1 4 Apr 16, 2017 08:40AM
[asmb] Book Club: Infected 27 20 Oct 02, 2011 12:14PM

• 7th Son:  Descent (7th Son, #1)
  • Them or Us (Hater, #3)
  • Robot Uprisings
  • Code Zero (Joe Ledger, #6)
  • Hater (Hater, #1)
  • Dog Blood (Hater, #2)
  • Predator One (Joe Ledger, #7)
  • Tales from the Gas Station: Volume One
  • Plague Town (Ashley Parker, #1)
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)
  • MirrorWorld
  • The Infection (The Infection, #1)
  • Assassin's Code (Joe Ledger, #4)
  • Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1)
  • Plague of the Dead (Morningstar Strain #1)
  • Fragment
  • Extinction Machine (Joe Ledger, #5)
  • Crescent

Get Scott's free, unabridged weekly audiobook episodes from iTunes by subscribing to his podcast.

#1 New York Times best-selling author Scott Sigler is the creator of fifteen novels, six novellas and dozens of short stories. He gives away his stories as weekly, serialized, audiobooks, with over 40 million episodes downloaded.

Scott launched his career by releasin

Infected (3 books)
  • Contagious (Infected, #2)
  • Pandemic (Infected, #3)