Start by marking “The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark” as Want to Read:
The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark

The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark (The Pout-Pout Fish)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,683 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews

Mr. Fish wants to help his friend Ms. Clam when she loses's her pearl, but though he's fast as a sailfish, as smart as dolphin, and as strong as a shark, Mr. Fish has a secret: he's scared of the dark!

Very young children will swim along with Mr. Fish as he journeys deep into the ocean to new and mysterious places. They will discover, as Mr. Fish does, the power of friendsh

Published August 17th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark

John
Note to self: Recommend to teachers who ask for books that contain similes.
Stephanie Thode
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of my son's favorite books.
Andrea Thomas
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: educ378fall2017
Andrea Thomas
11/26/2017
Text to teaching connection

Let's go on a adventure and lets be any sea animal in which you want to be. We will discuss what animals live in the ocean and then turn off all the lights in the classroom and go hunting for a pearl. This is an excellant game to teach the children that the dark isnt so bad and they shouldn't be scared of the dark especially when you have an awesome game to play to help you go to sleep.
Barbara
In this board book featuring the popular grumpy fish, Ms. Clam loses her pearl, and Mr. Fish vows to find it for her. He searches high and low, but the rhyming text and colorful illustrations make it clear that it won't be easy to find the missing pearl. Although he draws on himself for courage, it gets darker and scarier the further down he goes. Along with Miss Shimmer, the two head downward, find the pearl, bring it to Ms. Clam and celebrate being "bigger than the dark" (unpaged). Fans of the ...more
Elizabeth Martinez
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic fantasy picture book! This is the first time I read a Pout Pout book and I was completely hooked. The illustrations are quite colorful, detailed and eye catching so that kids can enjoy every aspect of the book. The book's text is mainly simple rhymes that would make this book a great read aloud. The story follows a fish that is afraid of the dark...which is something that many children can relate to! The overall message that I got from this book is the importance of friendship a ...more
Linda
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Written in poetry, this book tells the tale of Mr. Fish, of Pout-Pout fame, who swims off into the deep, despite being scared of the dark, to help a friend. If you know something of ocean habitats and the creatures there, this will be even more interesting. The illustrations fill the pages with diverse creatures, peeking out of holes in sloping sides of sand, underwater, with the pout-pout fish standing out. It’s a book that would be terrific for younger primary-aged children. It’s about making ...more
Dolly
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We loved, loved, loved The Pout-Pout Fish, so when I saw there was a sequel, I just had to put it on hold right away at our local library.

This is a story of determination, perseverence (especially in the face of a fearful situation), and friendship. This tale has the same catchy rhythm as the first book, with a fun, rhyming narrative. I must admit that I liked the first book better, but this is a very entertaining tale. We really enjoyed reading this book.
Chinasa Izeogu
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
Mr. Fish comes to the rescue when Ms. Clam loses her pearl. However, a grim, grim dark threatens to frighten Mr. Fish from completing his task. Luckily, his friend, Miss Shimmer lends a hand and with the help of Mr. Lantern the pearl is found. More smooches are given and friendship is emphasized as a way to conquer the dark. I hope the pout-pout fish continues as a series. I just love the adventures he has and the themes the author tackles.
Gigi
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The pout-pout fish made a promise to find Ms. Clam's missing pearl. When his search leads him to the bottom of the dark ocean, he almost turns back because he is afraid of the dark. Then a friend goes with him and he is not as afraid. It is a cute story young kids will enjoy. It's rhyming pattern makes it fun to read and hear.
Susan
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschool through 2nd grade
Shelves: children
Young children will love the wonderful illustrations and the rhyming verse of this sequel to The Pout-Pout fish. The Pout-pout fish ventures deeper and deeper to get clam's pearl. He has many strengths but one great weakness - he is afraid of the dark! Pout-pout overcomes his weakness through the help of his friends. A wonderful story with a great message, your children will love it.
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book. I loved the Pout-Pout Fish, but did not feel this one had the same magic.

I liked the story and the message that things are easier when friends help us. The illustrations are really fun and add to the story.

Overall, kids will enjoy this book and the story of the Pou-Pout Fish as he ventures into the deep dark parts of the ocean.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
A simple story of one friend helping another friend who is supported by another friend and throughout it all manages to conquer a fear of the dark. Children will like the story, the colorful illustrations and the happy ending.
Jill
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-fic
Not as good as the first one.
Peace_Love_Reading
Pout pout fish is always a fun read . The boys loved the shimmer fish and all the worms helping. This story had my boys asking tons of questions , which is great !!!
gina
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Shit gets real on this episode of the Pout Pout fish. Mr. Fish makes a promise he can barely keep as he sinks further into the deep on the search for a runaway pearl for Ms. Clam. But, true to form his friends come through and help him conquer his concern (really, it doesn't even register as fear) of the big big dark and save the day finding the pearl.

Cute drawings and pretty combos of words make it fun for everyone involved in reading it. But. Just. But hear me out on this one... my son didn't
AMY
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
Britany Hanks
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very cute book about a fish overcoming his fear of the dark by persevering and allowing his friends to help him. The message of the book is great for the age level, that when friends work together, they can accomplish so much, and that your fears are able to be overcome. I personally was dubious at first because some of the words seem too advanced for the age level, so the book might take too much explaining, but the message in the end is told plain and clear!
Lynn  Davidson
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Pout-Pout Fish promised Ms. Clam he would find her lost pearl. He searched and swam deeper and deeper, to where it was darker and darker. Pout-Pout Fish was fast and smart and strong but he was afraid of the dark - and he'd made a promise to a friend. He was determined to keep his promise.
A sweet story with great illustrations.
Anna
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Great illustrations and the story is about a fish trying to get over its fear of the dark with a help of another fish friend because sometimes you don't need to face things alone. A buddy sometimes helps! It also illustrates that a promise made is a promise that should be kept.
Roberta
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The only thing that my son loves more than this book is the original. I couldn't help liking this book either. When the "not afraid of the dark" theme, it made my son a little braver to know that the Pout Pout fish was not afraid of the dark.
Garren
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I still get anxious seeing drawings of the darkness at the bottom of the sea, but the rhythm and the message here worked well for the kids.
Aiden and Jack
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2nd-grade-k-m
GRL: M
DRA: 24
Kelly
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Great fear of the dark story.
Simple rhymes with repeating phrases, great illustrations, and a good message of overcoming your fears and strength in numbers.
Brittany
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was really cute. Every other lined rhymed which means it flowed rather nicely. The story was cute and taught the reader not to give up.
Hannah Paragon
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love these books! As always it is a rhyming tale about a fish with an ever present pout. My class of 2-year-olds loved it too.
Dawn
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't like this big near as much as I liked the original Pout-Pout fish. The moral felt more heavy-handed and the rhymes were not as pleasing to read.
Camille
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My kids loved pout pout.... I’ve read it multiple times
Miss Kelly
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cute picture book. It has repetitive text with a fun rhythm. Cute and positive story lines as well.
There is a whole series of these books.
Terrii
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"pout pout fish in the deep deep dark", is the second book of this series that I have read to my son. Its is simple and quick, well illustrated and is easy enough to read that my son can read along too. Overall, a Very good book. (especially if you love fish!)
  • Pirates Go to School
  • The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
  • Llama Llama Home with Mama
  • Calvin Can't Fly: The Story of a Bookworm Birdie
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • I Spy Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #7)
  • Aliens Love Underpants
  • Ready for Anything!
  • Elsie's Bird
  • Chick 'n' Pug
  • Swim! Swim!
  • In Front of My House
Deborah Diesen is the author of The Pout-Pout Fish, a rhyming children's picture book illustrated by Dan Hanna and published by Farrar Straus Giroux. Her book The Barefooted, Bad-Tempered Baby Brigade was published by Tricycle Press. She lives in Michigan. Visit her web site at www.deborahdiesen.com and her blog at jumpingthecandlestick.blogspot.com

More about Deborah Diesen

The Pout-Pout Fish (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Pout-Pout Fish (Pout-Pout Fish)
  • The Pout-Pout Fish Goes to School