Start by marking “Sea Glass (Glass, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sea Glass (Glass, #2)

Sea Glass

(Glass #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  17,431 ratings  ·  924 reviews
Student glass magician Opal Cowan's newfound ability to steal a magician's powers makes her too powerful. Ordered to house arrest by the Council, Opal dares defy them, traveling to the Moon Clan's lands in search of Ulrick, the man she thinks she loves. Thinks because she is sure another man now her prisoner has switched souls with Ulrick.

In hostile territory, without proo
Published September 1st 2009 by Mira (first published August 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Glass

really liked it 4.00  ·

Can't decide which cover I like best!

This was an okay story, but I didn’t like it as much as Storm Glass.

Opal did try to make the best of her abilities in this book, but she also made some mistakes. I felt quite sorry for her every time she got caught out or ended up walking straight into a trap, but she also seemed quite powerless at points.

The storyline in this was about Opal making glass animals again, trying to get Ulrick and Devlen swapped back to their correct bodies, something going on wi
Anja H.
*3 ANNOYING STARS*

“Lying to yourself is easy, too. I know. It's much harder to stay and deal with consequences.”

I still love Sitia and Ixia, the magic system and all of the characters from the older books.. Just not Opal, who unfortunately happens to be the main character in this trilogy.
She's so very annoying, can't make up her mind and makes the dumbest decisions, ugh.

I can’t wait to finish the third book and have my Yelena back for another trilogy!
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Opal's dumb as a doornail routine annoys me. But the plot surrounding her intrigues me. Thus I will push on. Wondering how this semi- love triangle will end.
Manisha
A bit of a conundrum, this.

I have to think about it a little before I write my review.

RTC.
Now that the Council have found out about Opal's ability to steal other magician's powers they immediately see her as a threat. No matter how much she has done for them in the past it is all worth nothing now and they now want her under house arrest inside the Citadel where they can monitor her activities and decide what to do with her. The worst thing of all is that nobody believes her when she tells them that Devlen and Ulrick have swapped bodies so now Devlen has free reign of the Citadel and ...more
Milly
What can I say, I was a little dismayed by Sea Glass. Perhaps because I expected more out of this second book. Perhaps because I thought Opal's character was going to be more interesting and her adventures more daring and intriguing. However, none of that came into fruition, at least in my opinion.

The book didn't really pick up for me until the last 100 pages. I felt that the first 200 pages dawdled and there were chapters that seem indulgent and unconsequential. I know Maria Snyder was trying
Yoda
I enjoy Opals story/adventures more than I did with Yelena. I like the even pace of the book, it feels effortless. Instead of saving every plot twist for the last 20 pages, action is evenly distributed. It doesnt feel forced.

I just wish we got a bit more of Devlen in this one, I thought he was a bigger part of this book, but its just his name being repeated all of the time.
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)

The good:
*I absolutely love Sitia and the world Snyder created.
*Kade is my sweetheart.
*Reappearance of old characters - Yelena, Leif, Janco..

“Don’t you dare say it.” He poked my arm with a finger. “My choice to help you. My fault for being caught. No regrets. I’d do it again without thought.” He cocked his head to the side and scratched his scarred ear. “Which isn’t that big of a revelation. Ari sa
Maria Kaye
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Stefanie for keeping me motivated for the past two months when I was thinking of dnf this!

As always with Maria V. Snyder books this was good! Not her best in my opinion but still worth the read, especially if you're reading the main series in the chronicle (Study series).

Review to come.
Jilly
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What's worse than a dumbass? A cynical, mopey, feeling-sorry-for-themself dumbass - and that is what Opal is in this book. She's changed from an optimistic dumbass to a pessimistic dumbass. But, don't worry, she still gets kidnapped and caught a lot. And, the thing is, Opal knows she's an idiot, but instead of trying to fix her idiocy, she wallows in self-pity.
I would be a fool to trust him. Too bad being a fool was my best skill.
dumbass photo: dumbass allthisistrue.gif
Oh.... poor you!!! Let's all feel sorry for her.

So, in this sto
Darren Hagan
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 stars**

Loved it but it sometimes felt there was maybe too much going on.
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was soo, soo, soo good! I don't think that MVS can write anything I won't love!
Abbie
Mar 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an okay read, but I didn't like it as much as the first.

I liked Opal in this one, but again, there were times where she annoyed me.

The pacing in book one was the main reason why I started to lose interest near the end. It was the same reason why I started to lose interest in this one. Unfortunately though, I found this one to be a bit slower, so I lost interest quicker.

Overall, Okay read.
Irene Sim
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was deffinitely an improvement from the first book. Opal somehow manages to acquire some balls (even if most of the times it backfires) but in the end her persistence pays.
This series is so much different from "Poison Study", to me it seems that it has no purpose, no solid goal set from the beginning so the reader can have expectations of the plot and make sense of the story. It continues in the same pattern as the first book, Opal doing random things, going random missions for the Council,
Dani Jade
Sea Glass picks up where Storm Glass left off. Exactly where it left off, it actually felt to me like the same book over again for a chunk of it.

I wasn’t into this one and I’m not even sure why, I just had a really hard time caring about Opal and an even harder time getting into the book at all.
Julie
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
If I were to write an action adventure story with magical and fantastical elements, I would write a book exactly like “Sea Glass”. But since I’m not ambitious or imaginative enough to write an actual novel, I’m glad Maria V. Snyder can and did.

“Sea Glass” is the second book in Maria’s latest trilogy. It complements the first book perfectly, even upping the excitement and intrigue level a notch. There is enough magic, mystery, blood magic, humor, cameos, political intrigue and action to keep you
Jessica {Litnoob}
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book still suffered slightly from the tell me over showing me syndrome BUT it was drastically improved from book one. I hope it's all but gone in the last one as I know what a skilled story teller the author is. As for the storyline itself I'm loving it, seeing in the mind of someone with this new power set, when before we have only seen this from the outside... I'm looking forward to seeing how things unfurl.
Swiftsea
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book drove me a little crazy. I found that too many things were occurring at the same time. Just like a whirlwind, Opal was involved in too many things.

Moreover, the deaths of many of the glass-makers frustrated me a little. I found it unnecessary to kill them off. Too many authors use the 'only person capable' routine to accentuate the importance of their protagonists.

However, what irritated me the most was definitely Opal's relationships with men. Her constant desire to rescue Ulrick wh
Aimee
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 2.5
This was okay, I like the study series a lot more than the glass series because I think Opal is just a bit of a whinny meh character. It took me ages to finish this because I just wasn't very interested and Maria V Snyder tends to be a bit repetitive so I found that extremely annoying. Will probably still finish the series since I pushed through this one though.
Tracy Ehlers
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic continuation from book 1.
I'm looking forward to reading the conclusion!
Sara (Freadom Library)
Actual rating 4.5 stars

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 4 out of 5 stars
Just like all her other books, the plot is fast paced and full of constant action. It’s full of adventure and traveling to all the different kinds of clans found in Sitia which was really fun to experience. There’s suspense, danger. betrayal, tension, lies and magic of course. I like that there’s a new form of magic introduced that gave the story and the world an enti
Giuls
Mi aspettavo qualcosa di più? Sì. Ne sono rimasta delusa? No. E' uno di quei casi in cui ti aspetti qualcosina in più, ma non sei comunque delusa dal risultato. Do you know what I mean? XD

L'unica cosa che proprio non sono riuscita a digerire è stata Opal. Diciamo che diventa una testona, forse peggio di una testona in effetti 🤔. Va bene okay, diventa una testa di cavolo! Capisco le sue motivazioni, ma mettere tutti in pericolo solo per provare di avere ragione è un atteggiamento da bambina che n
Andrea
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You Thought Opal was Badass in Storm Glass, Think Again!
Sea Glass
Rating: 4.5/5

Summary: Opal has learned she can steal a magician’s powers without being provoked by siphoning it into a glass orb. The Council is afraid of her new power and orders her back, but Opal must confront Ulrick about blood magic and switching souls with Devlen. After the goes badly, Opal is forced back to the Keep and is held under house arrest. She is isolated, Zitora avoids her and is no longer her mentor, a null shield
Susbogblog
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Årh hvor var den god <3
Kathy
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Enjoyed

Content: mild language, implied sex but no scene or details
Linda
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
It took a long while for me to get into this book, mainly due to the fact that I found the main character, Opal, to be frustratingly naive and just plain annoying. The situation improved at around 40 % (?), when Cute Opal turned into Bitter Opal, because Bitter Opal was a lot more fun and kick-ass! I hope she sticks with her newfound boldness and doesn't go back to being all cuddly in Spy glass...
Ivusha (Tenebien)
I have a bad feeling I know how this trilogy is going to end up romancewise... And I'm not going to like it.
The book dragged and I kinda missed the story. It was more like lots of short stories mixed together to make a book.
The end was good, though. I acutally enjoyed this twist.
But dear Opal, you piss me off quite often. Not good.
Kerran Olson
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I'm still enjoying this series, though less than I did the Poison Studies series. I found the writing quite repetitive after reading the series all together. I find Opal stubborn and impulsive, which gets a bit annoying too.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It's always a bad idea to start off a book review with negatives, which is why I tend to follow the same structure each time: summary, positives, negatives, overall. When it comes to the second book in a Fantasy series, though, I don't know how to give a summary and not give everything away or at least spoil the first book. It just seems like too much work and I'm too lazy. So I'm ditching my usual structure and just spewing thoughts as they come.

I find myself fairly ambivalent towards this seri
Lexie
I'll start off first by saying--omg how much did I want this book? I might be a little biased, since I have adored the series since the very first, but I'm so glad I got a copy a little early. Next, for those of you who haven't yet gotten around to reading Storm Glass (for whatever reason, I don't judge) don't feel that you'll be lost jumping into this second book. The first 100 pages or so of Sea Glass has a pretty intensive overview of what happens in the first book through interactions and co ...more

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • The Night Bird (Lost Continent #5)
  • Darkfall (Healing Wars, #3)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • On Fire's Wings (Final Dance, #1)
  • Heroes at Risk (Hero, #4)
  • A Matter of Magic (Mairelon, #1-2)
  • Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2)
  • The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2)
  • The Mage's Daughter (Nine Kingdoms, #2)
When Maria V. Snyder was younger, she aspired to be a storm chaser in the American Midwest so she attended Pennsylvania State University and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology. Much to her chagrin, forecasting the weather wasn’t in her skill set so she spent a number of years as an environmental meteorologist, which is not exciting...at all. Bored at work and needing a creative out ...more

Glass (3 books)
  • Storm Glass (Glass, #1)
  • Spy Glass (Glass, #3)
“When we reached the beach, Leif fell to his knees with a dramatic cry. "Solid ground! I'll never take you for granted again."
"Are you going to kiss the sand?" I asked.
"Don't be ridiculous."
"Now I'M the one being silly?"
"Yes.”
60 likes
“There are certain people I trust no matter what. Even when it seems like they've turned into monsters, you need to stay true to them. Because, in the end, they'll be the ones backing you up.” 40 likes