Start by marking “Rescuers: Portraits in Moral Courage in the Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Rescuers: Portraits in Moral Courage in the Holocaust

Rescuers: Portraits in Moral Courage in the Holocaust

Presents a series of 49 personal reminiscences of non-Jewish citizens in various European nations who risked their lives to hide resident Jews from the Nazi horror. Most of those interviewed felt their actions were done out of friendship and for people caught in a web of hatred and anti-Semitism.
Published January 1st 1992 by Holmes & Meier Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Rescuers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescuers

Josiphine/Tessa
This book is wonderful. It's the stories of more than forty different people who hid Jews (and some other people groups) during World War Two told in their own words. It's almost unbelievable how many of them say, "I don't think that what I did was special. It was just the right thing to do." My faith in humanity is restored.
Vanessa
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for Holocaust enthusiasts (that sounds wrong). I really enjoy how real the people in this book are. Most of them don't really consider themselves heroes. Some believe that they should have received more recognition than they got, and some are racists against the jews even though they saved them. You got it all! I had tears in my eyes while reading some of the stories. (Read the one about the girl getting hit by the train). This book really gets you thinking about what yo ...more
Valerie
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Debbie
Recommended to Valerie by: Gail Schwartz
Shelves: shoa
The overwhelming theme in this book is not, "I set out to do the right thing." but rather, "A time of choice came, and I chose to do the thing that I knew was right." I believe that this is the core of being a good person. I believe that most of us given a choice at any moment in time, will choose to do the moral thing. Most of these people seem bewildered to be recognized for their actions, since they believe they had no other or easier choice.
Chris
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history-wwii
Worth reading simply for the reflections that the Rescuers have about countries after WW II.

Some of the stories are heart breaking, all up lifting. I don't think I could be as brave as these people.

The narratives are at times honest (in particular the Countess), sometimes quiet.
Leslie
Jul 29, 2015
Judy
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting but it will take me a while to get through it.
Judy Rehfeld