Start by marking “The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy” as Want to Read:
The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy

The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,258 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
For Christmas, Petey, the puppy, wants a boy of his own more than anything. But boys are in short supply this year and his mother tells him he'll have to find his own. Tired and discouraged, Petey's almost ready to give up searching, when his wish comes true in a wonderful way!

First published in 1958, this beloved classic features updated text and new illustration.

Published 1958 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy

Tabi
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite childhood books <3
Becca Garr
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my absolute favorite book as a child. For a young children's book, there is definitely some raw emotion packed into this little gem. Being such a big animal lover my whole life, especially dogs, this one stole my heart!
Winta
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The moral of this book is to never give up, be polite (even if other aren't back), have courage, learn from experiences, and be persistent in seeking until you get what you want. The little puppy wanted a boy. His mother told him that it was too hard to find one and suggested other animals to him. The puppy Knew what he wanted and decided to search on his own. He had courage to ask other dogs politely if they would give their boy to him. Although all the dogs he asked did not answer him politely ...more
Julia
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay I know that I am not a boy but if this puppy wanted to adopt me I would be more than willing. We could go on walks, play ball, cuddle and everything else that you can imagine for such a cute scruffy face like this one.

The story is truly a heart-twister. It will have you up and down the emotional roller coaster while keeping this pup to keep looking for his forever home. And then for the home's director to be nice enough to allow him in that just ends the cake.

Truly a timeless classic and
Eva Leger
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
I read this around Christmas time last year so I can't remember it all that well. I remember the premise of the story which was pretty darn cute. I do remember it being a little too long for a bedtime story though. This may have only been my daughters age though so I'm not sure. I think I'd recommend it for older toddlers based on my memory of the length.
It's definitely a cute story though!
Jamie
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was one of my favorite stories as a child. As an adult, I still deeply enjoyed reading it with my younger brothers. A great story of a dog in search of someone to call his own. It shows how pets need us and choose us much like we need and choose them.
Gwendolyn Harris
Petey the puppy just wanted a boy for Christmas. He saw all the other dogs chasing after balls and going on walks with their boys and Petey wanted the same. So he set out to see if any other puppies wanted to give their boys up to Petey. Of course none of them wanted too and finally Petey came across a little boy sitting on the front porch of his home. The boy loved Petey and took him in. Petey finally had a boy he always wanted. This story is so sweet and tugs at your heartstrings. Children hav ...more
Jessica Dwyer
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Although we aren't supposed to use this word, the story is very cute. The puppy just wants a boy to have him! The pictures are endearing as well.
Betsy
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been my son's favorite book since early childhood. He's 26 and still occasionally brings it up. Worth reading over and over.
Jodee
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book with a warm ending.
Lauren Kiser
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education-323
This would be a good book to read to the students that need help with descriptive details. Also it can show the students not to give up while telling them about different breeds of dogs.
I Heart Corgis
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peyton
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martiah Rall
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Boy Who Wanted A Puppy was written by Jane Thayer in 1958 and illustrated by Lisa McCue in 1985. In the story, all a puppy wants for Christmas is a little boy. His mother says that if he is good she will go find him a little boy. Though, when he went to look no little boys were to be found. The puppy then decided to go on his own search for his little boy.

I thought this story was cute because it had a twist of a puppy wanting a boy instead of a boy wanting a puppy. In the story, the puppy re
Peacegal
The timeless story of a boy and his dog get an unusual twist in The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy.

Petey the puppy seems to have a comfortable life, but he’s missing a boy to take care of him. He travels around the neighborhood, asking other dogs if they’re willing to give up their young owners. Each says no! Petey has just about lost hope when he stumbles upon a Home for Boys—and a group of orphan children who very much would like a friend.

I liked that Petey ended up choosing a child at a charity hom
September Michaud
Publication date: 1958

I reread this book so many times when I was a kid, but it seems a little weird reading it as an adult.

When the puppy tells his mom that he wants a boy for Christmas, she tells him to go see if he can find a dog who is willing to give up his boy. This seems like really bad advice as every dogs he asks this question is offended and some of them growl at him or show their teeth.

Finally, he comes across a home for boy orphans and they agree to keep him if his mother allows it.
Carly
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, this was by far my favorite book. It is a story about a lonely puppy who wants to get a boy for Christmas. THis puppy is so dedicated to finding a boy that he ends up finding himself lost in the snowy night all alone and sad. A very special boy finds him and brings him to his home. It wasn't just any home, it was an orphanage full of boys. The puppy was given so much love, more than he could ever imagine. It was such a special Christmas for both the boys and the puppy. I could not im ...more
Amanda
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy is a heartwarming tale about a small little puppy named Petey, whose only wish for Christmas is to find a boy who will love him. Petey’s mother tells Petey, however, that there are no boys to be found. Disappointed by this news, Petey heads out to find a dog who is willing to give him their boy. After numerous attempts, Petey begins to walk home without a boy, until he comes upon a home for boys and finds a sad, small boy sitting alone on the front stoop. Petey runs up ...more
Chelsea
This book has been one of my favorites since I was a little girl. A personification about a puppy named Petey who wants a boy for Christmas. He asks his mother, and she said she would do her best, but boys are hard to find at that time of year. When his mother comes back boy-less, the pup decides he will go ask a dog if he can have their boy. All the dogs are harsh, mean, and rude towards the puppy’s request, and the Petey ends up alone. Then he hears carols being sung in the distance, leading h ...more
Katee
Summary: A puppy who wanted more than anything was a boy. His mother told him that there was a low supply of boys this year. So the puppy went out searching for a boy. He asked a handful of dogs if they would give their boy away and they all said no, but just when the puppy was losing hope, he found a home for boys.

Age: 1st-3rd grade

Use: Independent reading

Genre: Picture Book

Text/Images: Images go along with the text fairly well, they're simple but well drawn

Topic: hope

Social Issues:
Heather
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All Petey wants for Christmas is a boy. Petey's mother tries to appease him by offering a bunny, a bird, and even some goldfish - but only a boy will do. Petey then approaches other dogs asking them if they are willing to give up their boys. He finds the rest of the canine world none too friendly. Finally, Petey comes upon the Home for Boys - will he be able to find a boy there?

A heartwarming tale showing how with persistence you may not get exactly what you want, but sometimes something even be
Ashley Wampler
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the cutest books I have ever read! A little puppy desperately wants a boy for Christmas. His mother goes out to try and find him one but she is unable to do so. Desperate, the puppy goes out on his own search. However, all of the dogs that he encounters do not want to give up their boys. Just when puppy gets discouraged, he finds a "Home for Boys" and is taken inside. To his surprise, he is about to be adopted by 50 little boys who are ready to love and take care of a little puppy ...more
Karen
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy" is a picture book written by Jane Thayer. It's target audience is primary and intermediate readers.

Petey only wanted a boy for Christmas. When his mother was unsuccessful Petey improvised and what a delightful outcome!

I gave this book four stars. This story shows the benefit of improvising and how not to give up if your first option falls through. Good things definitely came to Petey! The pictures told the story and were full of emotion.
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Petey is a puppy who wants a boy for Christmas. His mother tries to find one but can't. Petey goes out looking to see if he can find a dog who is willing to give up his boy with little luck. Finally he comes to a Home for Boys and finds his heart's desire.
This is a great book for showing perspective. I loved how Petey's desire for a boy and what he did to "earn" one mirrors what a child might do at Christmas time to earn a puppy. Very cleverly written.
Andd Becker
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A puppy says to his mother, "I'd like a boy for Christmas."
His mother says he can have a boy if he is a very good puppy.
The puppy asks different dogs if they want to give their boys away. No luck. Then the puppy spies a sign that reads HOME FOR BOYS.
The puppy sees a lonely boy. The boy gets permission to take the puppy inside. The puppy knows that his mother will say yes. He can't wait to tell his mother that he is getting 50 boys for Christmas!
Becca
This story is a childhood favorite of mine. All the students who read it love it, too. I wrote up a script for a readers' theater using the story text. I have 4 children sit at the top step of our kiva and pretend to be the dogs in the story. They get to bark and growl and carry on, which they delight in doing. This is good for 4th-5th grades. This is not on the official "100 picture boooks everyone should read and know" that I found online, but it should be!
Aleina
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
This has always been one of my childhood favorites!! I begged my mom to buy this book just so i could read it over and over. I loved it so much that I actually DID read it over and over. I guess I can say now that there is book that I've read (and known what it was about) more than once willingly. ^_^
Vannessa Anderson
The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy was a great read! It told the story of perseverance. Petey wanted a boy and he tried different ways of finding one and he didn't give up until he found fifty of them at Home For Boys. Lisa McCue illustrations were on point! This is the kind of story I like to read to my grandson because it can leave to a lasting impression.
Danielle Boccio
Series: -
Author: Jane Thayer & Catherine Wollley
Genre: Children's
Rating: 5 stars

One of my all time favourite books as a child - Even if I read it today, I'm sure I'd love it as much as I did then! It's an adorable, heart-felt and special book that I'd recommend parents introduce to their children if they ever get the chance.
  • Clifford's Happy Easter
  • Over the River and Through the Wood
  • The Little Rabbit
  • Santa's Book of Names
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream
  • Marshmallow
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Animals' Christmas Eve
  • Froggy's Best Christmas
  • No Jumping on the Bed
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • The Nutcracker
  • Happy Birthday, Thomas! (Thomas & Friends)
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Wombat Divine
  • An Orange for Frankie
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • Night Tree
Obituary from: Boston Globe, July 27, 2005

With the 87 children's books she wrote, Catherine Woolley delighted generations of young readers around the world with stories of children, animals, a friendly ghost, and mysterious happenings.

She was so prolific that her publisher told her to use a nom de plume for some books. She chose Jane Thayer, her grandmother'
More about Jane Thayer...
“I'm not alone," said the boy. "I've got a puppy.” 8 likes