Start by marking “The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3” as Want to Read:
The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3 (The Works of Edgar Allan Poe "The Raven Edition" #3)

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  1,385 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The Spectacles
King Pest
Three Sundays in a Week
Kindle Edition, Large Print
Published (first published July 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3

Diana Long
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In volume 3 of the collected works of Poe we find his novel The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym, Ligeia, Morella, A Tale of the Ragged Mountains, The Spectacles, King Pest and Three Sundays in a Week. In the first work the subject matter was for me quite disturbing and the novel ends abruptly. I had to research the book on the internet to find if I was missing the last of it and no, it was meant to be that way, a perfect Alfred Hitchcock ending. I still found the read entertaining and enjoyed it. As ...more
Brian Cooke
I got this book for "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym", having finished the rest I really think that that one was the weakest entry (because it was unfinished as far as I'm concerned). There are however a few real gems in here particularly "The Spectacles" and I have every intention of getting through the other 4 volumes for any more Poe works that I've missed in the haphazard approach I've taken in reading his work to date.
Conni
Sep 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge Poe fan. I have only read some of his more acclaimed stories and poems. I bought this set to help me get an understanding for what the less popular stories were like. I have to say that the stories in this volume didn't impress me. Perhaps the other volumes will have a better offering.
Ray Chanley
Disappointed

I bought this book expecting a book of poetry, so maybe I was destined to be disappointed. I became totally lost about two thirds of the way through. This book just never hooked me.
Gretchen
Oct 23, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OCT 23, 2008 - Alright, so I put Edgar Alen Poe's entire body of work on 1001 books to read before I die, when I only need to read "The Pit and the Pendulem","The Purloined Letter" and "The Fall of the House of Usher." This is just easier for me to handle.
Denise
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a fan of Moby Dick, had to read Pym of Nantucket. The story wonders and ends abruptly, however, a must read for Melville fans. Spectacles is humorous, King Pest is nicely bizarre, and Three Sundays is amusing.
David Donaghe
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third volume of The Works of Edgar Allan Poe that I have read. Everyone seems better than the last. All though Poe is known for his dark tales, I also enjoy his description and his sense of humor.
John Cress
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Overall, the highlight for me was Narrative of A. Gordon Pym which ended up being an adventure story that included a bit of everything from a doomed voyage and an unexplored island, kind of reminded me of the land that time forgot by Burroughs. A nice solid read
jim copley
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a variety of stories

If you like well written fiction this book is for you. You rarely know how things will turn out. Sometimes it gets a little wordy but it is worth it.
Joel
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this volume a lot, mostly for the Narrative of A. Gordon Pym. It is one of my favorite Poe stories I've thus far read.
Jeff Dalton
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's Poe, there is not much you can say that has not already been said.
B. Zedan
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like to read about terrible travels
And here we have the travelogues. The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym is a mindfuck, let's leave it at that.

King Pest is pretty sick, though. I very much want to illustrate it.

Annette McMillan
this one was not a favorite of one of poe's books for me. it was good, but i read it really fast to get thru it. it was not that interesting to me.
Nathan Shumate
19th century literary humor doesn't age well, unfortunately.
larry brashear
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it
So-So!

Not impressed with this book. I know Poe was a genius. Perhaps that is why I had a difficult time concentrating on this work.
Mitch
May 13, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This hardbound book ~ Original print: Duffield & Co. New York, 1908
Doug Bradley
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The main story is convoluted and has no true ending.
Drpsychorat
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful stories with a Bite

This book was made for Poe fans. It contains several delightful macabre short stories and Pos's only novel. Read them and enjoy!!
Roxanne Kroll
  • Charles Dickens' Children Stories
  • Pagan and Christian Creeds: Their Origin and Meaning
  • Intentions
  • The Canterbury Tales, and Other Poems
  • Fairy Circles Tales and Legends of Giants, Dwarfs, Fairies, Water-Sprites and Hobgoblins
More about Edgar Allan Poe...

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe "The Raven Edition" (5 books)
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe: Volume 1 (The Works of Edgar Allan Poe [Raven Edition] #1)
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume II