Start by marking “Zoe's Tale (Old Man's War, #4)” as Want to Read:
Zoe's Tale (Old Man's War, #4)

Zoe's Tale (Old Man's War #4)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  22,612 Ratings  ·  1,473 Reviews
How do you tell your part in the biggest tale in history?

I ask because it's what I have to do. I'm Zoe Boutin Perry: A colonist stranded on a deadly pioneer world. Holy icon to a race of aliens. A player (and a pawn) in a interstellar chess match to save humanity, or to see it fall. Witness to history. Friend. Daughter. Human. Seventeen years old.

Everyone on Earth knows th
Kindle Edition, Reprint Edition, 420 pages
Published April 1st 2010 by Tor Books (first published August 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Zoe's Tale, please sign up.
D You most definitely do not need to read this book to go on in the series, this particular cheap trick to squeeze some cash from us don't add anything…moreYou most definitely do not need to read this book to go on in the series, this particular cheap trick to squeeze some cash from us don't add anything to the overall, and very good, storyline. Maybe the 2 last chapters can be interesting, but not nearly important.(less)

mark monday
John Scalzi: Young Adult Author?

YES! this enjoyable book was not just enjoyable for its story, but also for how it helped me realize that John Scalzi has been writing like a YA author since the beginning of his career. it just took an actual YA novel penned by him for me to realize that.

he has so much in common with the modern YA authors I've read:

- pleasant but generic writing style that has no interest in impressing its reader with challenging prose

- pleasant characters who are sympathetic but
Dan Schwent
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zoe Boutin-Perry, teenage colonist and idol to the Obin race, gets stranded on Roanoke along with her parents, John Perry and Jane Sagan. While the Roanoke Colony survive with the Conclave breathing down its neck?

Zoe's Tale is a retelling of the previous John Scalzi book, The Last Colony, from Zoe's point of view. Instead of being a pointless rehash, Zoe's Tale ends up being an emotional tale and completely worth the effort.

Re-telling The Last Colony from Zoe's point of view served multiple purp
Lyn
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HOORAY FOR ZOE!

And Hooray! for John Scalzi.

Taking a page from Orson Scott Card’s playbook, he tells the same story from a different POV and gets a great result.

Scalzi published The Last Colony in 2007, the third in his wildly popular Old Man's War universe and it was good SF, garnering a nod from the Hugo award committee with a nomination for best novel.

Zoe’s Tale was published the next year and was nominated for the Andre Norton Award for YA fiction.

That’s right, Scalzi channeled his inner chil
Mayim de Vries
Jun 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What is worse than writing a bad book?
Writing it twice under two different titles.

The fourth book in the Old Man’s War series is completely unnecessary. Zoe, an adopted daughter of John and Jane, essentially retells the same story we have already read in “The Last Colony.”

Does it make sense?

None whatsoever. I grant you that some elements, seen from Zoe’e perspective, gain new details, while in the previous books they were either just mentioned or ignored altogether. The question is whether it
Veronique
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5

I must admit that I was a little worried about this novel. To use the same plot as the one in The Last Colony, but told from a different point of view, is a dangerous thing to do. Well, I really should have trusted Scalzi because of course he pulls it off.

Zoe has a great voice, quite similar to John Perry's, with the same humour but tons more sarcasm, and that 'je-ne-sais-quoi' that teenagers have. Well, some. After a few pages, I was sold and completely engrossed in this character's percepti
Alex Ristea
This was a 3-star book until the last hundred or so pages, where it really shined and Scalzi reminded us why he's one of the kings of modern science-fiction.

Zoë's Tale (that's right, dear readers, I looked up that trema for you) is essentially a re-telling of The Last Colony from—you guessed it—Zoe's point of view, much in the same style as Ender's Shadow.

But it's so much more than a simple regurgitation.

Where The Last Colony replaced politics for The Ghost Brigades's action, Zoe's Tale is a sto
Mark
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
What a cynical cash grab this book feels like. Good grief. What else can you say about a book that came out the next year after the previous book where the author proclaimed, in post-text notes, that the story had been concluded?

And yet, before long, there arrived Zoe's Tale, a story told in parallel to The Last Colony, first-person in the perspective of Zoe Boutin-Perry, as you might expect from such a titled book. It's basically like if you take The Last Colony and take out 85% of the good pa
Krbo
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ne, ne čitam ja tako brzo kako bi se moglo reći po počeo/završio ovdje zapisanom

preskakao sam i to velikim koracima - jednostavno ovo je nepotrebna knjiga koja opisuje potpuno istu radnju kao i prethodna no drugi je POV - ovaj put Zoein.
lako se vidi i po ostalim recenzijama da to baš nije dobro sjelo velikom broju čitatelja, a Scalzi se na kraju u "Zahvalama" opravdava na sve moguće načine (uglavnom mi smo ga namolili da to uradi)

obično u takvim Rashomon radovima (napisao je još dvije poslije pa
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Mini Review: Discovering that this cheeky sci-fi series continued book 4 with an even cheekier YA POV was a bag of mixed emotions. I haven’t had the best luck with YA lately, but I loved the character Zoe. If anyone could pull off integrating this unconventional new perspective into an adult series, it would be Scalzi. Happily, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it may have revitalized the series for me. At first I was a bit bored with its shared (or dual) timeline with Last Colony (book 3) because I’ ...more
Lindsey Rey
[3.5 Stars]

Ultimately, I just don't particularly enjoy books that are the same story as a previous book told in a different POV.
Erica Anderson
I think "John Scalzi" is actually a teenage girl who's too smart for her own good. I began this book with the expectation of dropping it after a few chapters. How much could the perspective of a teenage girl interest me, after all, especially when channeled through a male writer?

In Zoe, Scalzi has created a sympathetic, believable and incredibly perceptive character. Though she's more self-aware and clever than any teenager I've ever known, I was willing to go along with it simply for the pleas
Danielle
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who had issues with lack of explantions from Last Colony
Shelves: sci-fi, ya, pans, 2009-read
First impressions: This DEFINITELY reads like a YA book, even though it was shelved in the adult section of my local library. Zoe is an annoying little wench. Everyone just has the perfect retort for every comment. The weird part about it being a YA book is that it's not a stand-alone novel; if I hadn't already read the entire Old Man's War series, I don't think this would make sense. Or at the very least, it would come across as trite.

Many of the initial chapters say things like "My dad gave t
Ivan
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Rating probably would be lower if I read right after previous installment since this is retalling of event of in The Last Colony seen through Zoe's eyes. There are few new bits of information mostly regarding Obin but it's basically same story but since I put some time between two books it didn't bother me. It was actually nice to be reminded what was "previously on" in Old man's war series before continuing on.
Marijan
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jaka četvorka, skoro petica. Bez obzira što prepričava već viđene događaje, daje im sasvim drugi kut gledanja, i opisuje stvari za koje iz ranijih knjiga ne znamo kako su se dogodile. I puna je snappy rečenica, i zanimljivih easter eggova. samo me jedno pitanje i dalje muči...
(view spoiler)
Mpauli
The book is really difficult to rate, so let me explain quickly why it is only a 2 for me. Zoe's Tale on its own might be a 4 star read. It is filled with the usual Scalzi humor, its prose is very accessible and Zoe is a likeable character.

My issue with the book is that it is "only" a companion novel to the last book in the series. It tells exactly the same story and therefore it has zero tension. It clarifies 2-3 plotpoints from the The Last Colony, but I'm not sure if I needed a whole book for
Lata
Nice complement to "The Last Colony". I like seeing some of the events from Zoe's perspective, but also like finding out what the heck Zoe was doing with her friend Gretchen and her boyfriend Enzo, while Jane and John were leading the colony. And it was great hearing Zoe's take on Jane, who Zoe loved but could also see as scary, and her two Obin bodyguards.
Michael
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Scalzi returns to his popular "Old Man's War" universe with a parallel novel to the last entry, told from the perspective of Zoe Boutin Perry. Covering the same time frame as the previous entry, "The Last Colony," "Zoe's Tale" examines the ins and outs of the story from Zoe's perspective as a teenage girl and the lynchpin of peace agreeement between several interstellar races.

Hearing how Zoe thinks and reacts to things is fascinating and even though we may know where things are going, Scal
Michael Cairns
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This was a fun, fast, sci fi yarn, the type unashamed newspaper reviewers would call a 'romp'.
We pick up Zoe as she's turning from naive teenager into someone far more aware of her place in the world. And what an amazing place is it. Zoe forms the treaty between humans and another race of people called the Obin. Her father helped them out before he died, so she has become their link to him and the person they use to model their new found consciousness on. The book explains it much better, you'll
Kat  Hooper
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit:

Zoe’s Tale, the fourth book in John Scalzi’s OLD MAN’S WAR series, is the same story we were told in book three, The Last Colony, except it’s from Zoe’s perspective. Zoe is the 17-year-old daughter of the traitorous scientist Charles Boutin. Jane Sagan and John Perry adopted Zoe when she was a small child and they’ve been farming on one of Earth’s colonies for years. Now, though, the family is off to lead the settlers of a new c
Silvana
3.5 stars. Scalzi's first book that made me cry. Thrice. Well, the first two were more like sniffles, but I did bawl the third time.

This is much, much better than the tepid The Last Colony. Zoe's POV is not a retelling; there were so many events unfolding that you could only see through her eyes, especially the ones with the Obin and other aliens. I think her relationship with Hickory and Dickory is my favorite part of the book, as heartbreaking as it is.

I was rather worried that it would be to
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-books
This inter-galactic science fiction about a teenage girl who is destined to save her planetary colony from certain destruction has a promising start. But I ultimately lost interest due to the fact that every bit of information was conveyed through dialogue, including scenes that would have been better served being experienced first hand by the reader through descriptive action sequences--like battle scenes and explosive attacks. After awhile I grew tired of just hearing about what happened throu ...more
Kaethe
2012 January 2

Scalzi totally nailed it. I really, really, really want Veronica to get to this soon, and tell me what she thinks. Telling the same story from a different point of view allows him to expand on bits that received less attention in The Last Colony, but it also allowed him to tell more about the regular lives of the colonists, and how they manage to amuse themselves. I loved it, snarky teenaged heroine and all.

Librarypersonal copy.

2014, September 2
Andy
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK, read the cover blurb CAREFULLY. This is a redo of the previous book in the "series" (it's not really serial anymore, is it?) The Lost Colony. Redone from Zoe's point of view with more detail and clarification on two topics: the intelligent wolf-things, and what Zoe did while she was off-world in order to come back with the momentum sucking device. Furthermore, it's targeted at young readers, both because it's from Zoe's perspective and because the type face is big.
So I'm pretty disappointed
Jonathan
Jul 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**This reviews will contain spoilers for "Last Colony", and as a result, for this book as well. However, if you already read the Last Colony, this book is spoiled for you anyway.**

I honestly don't know why this book was written.

This is a retelling of the Last Colony from Zoe's point of view. There might be compelling reasons to return to an already told narrative - to add a new perspective, to elucidate events which were unclear in the first telling, to squeeze a successful frnachise's teenage f
David Sven
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Zoe's Tale is a retelling of the previous book in the series The Last Colony from Zoe's perspective (My Review of The Last Colony http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...). Its basically exactly the same story minus most the interesting bits told by a teenage girl. As much as I enjoyed that story the first time around, after 80% into this last book it was really dragging.

The only redeeming feature of the book was the next 15% which deals with Zoe's diplomatic mission to the Conclave. We didn't
Sana
Well, that's left me feeling quite whelmed to say the least. Mainly because Scalzi simply does not know how to write a teenage girl. (I appreciate that he admits in the acknowledgements that Zoe as a character is bound to not work in some places). Or a teenage romance.

Moreover, the way Zoe talks mostly sounds like a young John Perry which isn't exactly a compliment because so much of the witty banter just felt forced and no. I think there was some halfhearted attempt at meta involved here becau
Gaby
Mar 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
“It was one of those moments that you just can’t describe. So I won’t try anymore,” says the narrator during the climax of the book. This sentence should be printed on the cover of “Zoe’s Tale” as a candid warning from the author to potential readers. Where to begin? Telling the same story from two different perspectives could work as long as each perspective is unique and brings something new to the table, but as Scalzi’s characters have the same voice and personality, that’s really not the cas ...more
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ya
I've been a big fan of Scalzi ever since Old Man's War, but I was slightly worried that Zoe's Tale would be a some milking of The Last Colony, which is a POV change of that novel. I'm not entirely certain it was necessary, except for the fact that it develops what might have been a serious dues ex machina event and makes everything hunky-dory. It may sound as if I didn't like the novel, but that's plainly untrue. This was an excellent YA novel, and I have to admit I love the concept of an intell ...more
Nikki
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mmm, brain candy. And I don't mean that in any kind of bad way. This isn't hard SF, it's easy to read, easy to follow, nothing too complicated. It's more about people. I think I liked this more than I liked The Last Colony, though I gave that a similar rating -- it was good to get into Zoe's head, good to see things from a different perspective, and this way you could get to know the Obin a little better, and see what happened behind the scenes, so to speak.

I love Enzo's character, and totally f
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Zoe's Tale [June 10, 2018] 16 21 Jun 27, 2018 02:28PM
Worst of the series so far... 5 67 Oct 14, 2017 07:04PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Zoe's Tale [Sept 2017] 26 19 Oct 04, 2017 02:33PM
Around the Year i...: Zoe's Tale, by John Scalzi 1 18 Jul 24, 2016 12:29PM
Space Opera Fans : [BOTM] - SERIES PICK - Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi 7 27 Sep 08, 2014 11:48AM
  • Sly Mongoose (Xenowealth, #3)
  • CryoBurn (Vorkosigan Saga, #14)
  • Odyssey (The Academy, #5)
  • Relentless (The Lost Fleet, #5)
  • Pirate Sun (Virga, #3)
  • Marsbound (Marsbound, #1)
  • Frameshift
  • Saturn's Children (Freyaverse #1)
  • The Children of the Sky  (Zones of Thought, #3)
  • March to the Stars (Empire of Man, #3)
  • On a Red Station, Drifting
John Scalzi, having declared his absolute boredom with biographies, disappeared in a puff of glitter and lilac scent.

(If you want to contact John, using the mail function here is a really bad way to do it. Go to his site and use the contact information you find there.)

Old Man's War (6 books)
  • Old Man's War (Old Man's War, #1)
  • The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War, #2)
  • The Last Colony (Old Man's War #3)
  • The Human Division (Old Man's War, #5)
  • The End of All Things (Old Man's War, #6)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Bookshop
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“Hickory clicked something to Dickory in their native tongue; Dickory clicked back. Hickory responded, and Dickory replied, it seemed a bit forcefully. And then, God help me, Hickory actually sighed.” 3 likes
“Oh, God,” I said. “Thank you so very much for the mental image of Dad as a teenage sack of hormones. That’s the sort of image that takes therapy to get rid of.” 2 likes