Start by marking “The Cost of Betrayal (The Half-Orcs, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Cost of Betrayal (The Half-Orcs, #2)

The Cost of Betrayal (Half-Orcs #2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,448 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Their prophet dead and their home lost, the half-bloods Harruq and Qurrah Tun form a strained alliance with a band of mercenaries outside the city of Veldaren.

As the brothers and their allies wage a private war against powerful thief guilds, divine forces threaten to tear them apart and ruin any hope for a better life.

Harruq must do everything he can to defend his family,
Published March 25th 2010 by Eschaton Press

To ask other readers questions about The Cost of Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cost of Betrayal

The Shayne-Train
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in the series, and no "sophomore slump" here.

Exciting fantasy action, examination of guilt and responsibility, awesome new supporting characters. Love blossoms in the most unexpected place. And oh man, the terrible things that are done to people. Yikes.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite "grimdark" series. It has the gravitas and dastardly-ness of Martin or Abercrombie, but the taste as it goes down is pure Forgotten Realms. I would have scoffed at the idea until I s
J.M.
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to J.M. by: David Dalglish
I'm not even going to try to write a review after reading Robert J. Duperre's. Suffice to say, David Dalglish's THE COST OF BETRAYAL was one of the most depressing novels I've ever had the pleasure to read.

Duperre's review of A SLIVER OF REDEMPTION also covers THE COST OF BETRAYAL in many ways: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Also: Yes, it took me a while to read this book (if you pay attention to such things), but not for lack of interest. I just have a LOT going on so far this year, so
Kurtis Story
Feb 21, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
What can I say - if you read my review of the first book, you'll have a lot of the second. Bigger magic, bigger battles, bigger violence, but the same quality of writing.

I will say the plot is more intricate in this book, and at some points I almost started enjoying it. Almost being the key word... But again I know Dalglish can do it from another book I read, and I will continue the series.
Derek
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Herein Harruq and Qurrah meet up with a band of mercenaries and go about their lives in the wake of former lives as terrible, terrible people. Harruqs trying to move past it. Qurrah? Not so much.

The problem is, while this books supposed to be the growth of these characters, showing how things are changing since the action of The Weight of blood, theres not really any character development. While some of the news characters have their amusing moments, for the most part they dont really add anyth
Anne
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The second book in the Half-Orc series is another success. Continuing the story of the half-orc brothers Tun, in this installment they find friends and family of sorts. This book is somewhat of a dark fantasy but I found myself actively hoping for redemption for both brothers. While Hurruq seems to embrace salvation, I still hope that Qurrah finds it, as well.

As for the fantasy aspect of the book, it's a fairly generic fantasy world. I don't mean this in a bad way, just that it reminded me heavi
Shag
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book two in the series, it is almost like the author felt bad for having written the dark first book and attempted to make up for it in this one. I was thourouly let down as the focus changed from the brothers to the new hero group trying to save the world, leaving the dark story as a sideline.
H.L. Reasby
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is definitely not for the faint of heart. Things take a much darker and more dangerous turn in this book; evil deeds are committed and some of those doing them feel no regret or conscience about it.
Cypher1014
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Far more emotionally evocative than the first book.

If you read this, prepare yourself to think "He _couldn't_" (the author) just before he does.
David
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Abandoned At 75%
Noah McDermott
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found very little to dislike in this book, I enjoyed it so much more that the first, that was mainly down to the fact that I felt there was more that 5 named characters in this one, as well as the large expansion in characters I also enjoyed the story of this book much more, I feel it moved away from how generic the first book felt and due to the fact the book was both longer and that it covered a longer time period Dalglish was able to showcase more of his work. I was very thankful to see tha ...more
Robert Duperre
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 5 out of 5

Let me preface this by saying that normally I like to sit on a book a few days before I review it. This allows me time to ponder the meaning of the story in greater detail, to mull over the finer aspects of the storytelling and decide whether my initial, guttural reaction was indeed true, or if I was simply caught up in the moment. Sometimes a book I loved will appear lesser after time, sometimes one I loathed will be struck with new meaning. This balance is what I seek and wha
Michelle VanDaley
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review is based on the Audiobook. The beginning was tedious for me and had I been reading I would have skimmed through alot of the day to day details however the pace does get better and I found myself hanging on every word. Tessana is such a tortured soul and the way CJ McAllister narrates her and the others truly brings the story to life. At the core everyone is just trying to do what is right for their loved ones but life is messy and not easy and this story reflects that very well. I am e ...more
Jean
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Gray Area..

This book centers around brothers Qurrah and Harruq after their lives have been turned upside down.

The brothers find unlikely alliances.

The story line has twists, turns and is mostly dark.

Overall, a well written novel that encompasses hate and love but also leaves a bit of hope after all of the gore.

C.J. McAllister did really well with the narration.

Note:
"This audio book was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review."

Lynda
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this novel thought provoking. The main characters are a collection of interesting personalities, that swirl around the lives and choices of two brothers. Their choices are poorly made. When I started this book I didn't realize it was the second in a series. I'm sure some back information would have filled in some of the blanks, but I did not need it to understand and find the book fascinating. I will be getting the first book to listen too, and also finish the series.
Simon
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cost of Betrayal by David Dalglish is the second book in the Half-Orcs series. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book but this one just really sealed the deal for me as I am now 100% positive that I will be seeing this entire series through. Reading The Cost of Betrayal really reminds me of the good old days of fantasy books. It's really hard to describe this feeling if you're not a fan of the genre. The only thing that saddens me is that not many readers know of the author. On many top fantasy ...more
James
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm Torn between giving this two stars and three stars - because there were parts that I liked, and, to an extent, I did enjoy reading it. But, there were many places were it erred and which I felt... lacked something.

On one hand it is two stars, on the other three stars. So, I will give it Two and a half stars, but, because I feel I may have been harsh with this review, I will round up to three - and I did like it, so this is not a guilty choice, but a relatively accurate one.

Carrying on from
Shelley
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Harruq and Qurrah attempt to take control of their own lives; Hurruq wants to change from the monster he became, and Qurrah wants to become better, in his own way...

New characters are introduced, and the relationships lighten the conversation and lends proof that at least Harruq wants to be no more than anyone else, but so much more than he had been. the author protrays Harruq's attempts really well, and it seems the half-orc is on his way to redemption.

However, problems between the brothers er
Colin Rowlands
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Note - This audiobook was given to me for free at my request and I provided this voluntary review of that version.

A strong second book in this series.

Where does The Cost of Betrayal rank among all the audiobooks you’ve listened to so far?

I wouldn't say that this is one of my favourite few audiobooks, but it is well above average with the already interesting progression in the series being most definitely enhanced by the narration/performance.I had previously enjoyed reading this book, but found
Aditya /
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read. In the first book, David barely had me reading. There was world creation, and introduction to the main characters. But in the second book, David has hit his stride: here the characters have depth, they are multifaceted, the turns in the story are more than slight curves, they are weaves in time on a fabric that is not straight. It is his day-to-day dialogue and actions of the characters that makes this book amazing. The writing for Tarlak was brilliant in th ...more
Jamie
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jamie by: hector
The Cost of Betrayal is the second book of the Half-Orc series. I can't believe how quickly I became a fan of these books. My boyfriend introduced them to me and I wasn't really expecting to like them at all. I played along because I didn't want to hurt his feelings by rejecting it. I admit I was judging a book by it's cover again, but then again who doesn't. It wasn't just the covers that threw me off though, it was the entire genre. I'm not one who necessarily goes for the fantasy books that i ...more
Arni Vidar Bjorgvinsson
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I don't particularly like writing reviews for single books in a series of books. Maybe the reason is that if it's bad I'll just not read more than the first one, and if it's good I'll read them all back to back, as one book.

But in a note at the end of the book, the author asked the reader to please review the book by whatever means. I must do as asked, but all I can say is this:

This is the second of five books. I'm loving the story and I very much look forward to reading the other three! My want
Austin
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
4.5. This is the second book in the Half-Orcs and it was a good one. This dark fantasy that is packed full of action will keep you reading. It follows the story of the Tun brothers (Harruq and Qurrah) as the join up with mercenaries. While Hurraq falls even more in love with Aurelia and sticks with the mercenaries, Qurrah falls in love with a mysterious girl named, Tessanna. This combo creates a lot of dark fantasytype of action that this book is filled with. I really liked the mercanaries as ch ...more
R.M. Fraser
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, I really enjoyed the first book, and was a little let down in the beginning of this one. Good thing that was short lived, just a couple of chapters or so. After that, it felt like David got his flow really working and the rest of the book was great! I really enjoy how the story is shaping out to be. By the end of the book the depth of the main characters really opened up to me. You really have something here David, and I'm hooked! Moving on to number three. If the beginning had th ...more
Brendan Carroll
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second of the Half-Orc series was just as impelling as the first. The writing was first rate dark fantasy, the action was non-stop and the characters well developed. David Dalglish makes the reader appropriately hate/love/like/dislike the characters by his indepth descriptions of how they feel about what is happening to them. I feel torn between sympathy and dislike for even the worst of the worst. This is great writing.
Bryce Fischer
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad I didn't give up after the first book. While not bad, I found the first to be a bit cliche. While this book can be classified as the same, it seemed to do a much better job and telling a story. I finally felt some some empathy for the main characters. Neither of the brothers are easy to like, especially not Qurah, but at least in this one, we can at least understand them a bit better. Reading the 3rd book in the series now and glad I didn't give up on it.
Casey
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kb-authors
The second book in this series is more tightly written but the characters remain the same full-fleshed, believable people. Both main half-orc characters are pulled in two directions-- one way, they make their brother happy. The other way, they are true to themselves. Their decisions and choices lead to tremendous consequences.
Joy
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a bridge novel with most of it spent on developing the relationships of the half-orcs and their motivations for future books. This ties it into his newest series 'The Watcher's Blade' but I did have some confusion with time lines. Characters that are alive in the Watcher story who die in this one???
Annelie
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second installment in the Half Orc series and I must say that so far this was my favourite of the two books. I read the Shadowdance trilogy before this and anything that can give me my fix of the watcher is well worth the read.
Kaleb Murphy
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Ok book

This book somehow gets darker than the previous one and I'm not sure where the story is going. But it's weird reading this series last after all his others since it's obvious he's grown and improved quite a bit.
Patti
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Gross, Very Graphic, and Very Very Good... on to the next one! :)
The Cost of Betrayal 9 24 May 03, 2017 12:23PM
  • The Call of the Sword (Chronicles of Hawklan, #1)
  • Ships from the West (The Monarchies of God, #5)
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • Mandibles
  • The Color of Vengeance (The Ties That Bind, #2)
  • The Wayfarer King (The Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • Book of Secrets
  • Return of the Dragon Riders (Dragon Stone Saga #2)
  • City of Rogues (The Kobalos Trilogy, #1)
  • The Dragonprince's Heir (Dragonprince Trilogy #3)
  • Light of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #3)
  • Blood of the Earth (Sovereign of the Seven Isles, #4)
  • Uprising (Vampire Federation, #1)
  • The Lost Scrolls (Rogue Angel #6)

Half-Orcs (7 books)
  • The Weight of Blood (The Half-Orcs, #1)
  • The Death of Promises (The Half-Orcs, #3)
  • The Shadows of Grace (The Half-Orcs, #4)
  • A Sliver of Redemption (The Half-Orcs, #5)
  • The Prison of Angels (The Half-Orcs, #6)
  • The King of the Vile (The Half-Orcs, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Frangipani Hotel: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“It was made out of love, and all things made this way are beautiful, to those who have the eyes to see it.” 1 likes