Start by marking “Nate the Great” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great

Nate the Great (Nate the Great #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  11,470 Ratings  ·  325 Reviews

Shortly after a breakfast generously supplied with pancakes, Natethe Great got an urgent call from Annie.

"I lost a picture," said Annie. "Can you help me find it?"

"Of course," said Nate. "I have found lost balloons, books, slippers, chickens. Even a lost goldfish. Now I, Nate the Great, will find a lost picture."

"Oh, good," Annie said.

Nate, with the cool detachment of a Sa

Published September 5th 1986 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great, please sign up.

Nina Did you ever find out the answer to this question? I have the same question.

Dawn Michelle
I bought this book for my 8 year old niece; I am not as enamored with this one as I am with the Ivy + Bean books, but it was still a cute book and I think she will love it. And it IS a mystery [gotta start them young LOL] so there is a bonus in that. It was a fun, quick read and I think she will enjoy reading it.
Elisa
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nate the Great is about a boy detective who takes his cases and mysteries really serious even though they are funny and goofy.

I think Nate the Great is really funny and very easy for kids to enjoy because it's silly and the art is funny. Older kids will laugh, too.

I really like that Nate is always serious when funny things happen.

My favorite quote:

"It was a good breakfast. Pancake, juice, pancakes, milk, and pancakes. I like pancakes."

I plan to read the rest of the series but I doubt it will be
NiteReader
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-picture
Cool book!
Karen
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Ellie really likes the audio of this book. The audio is actually of several Nate the Great stories.
Camilla
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great teaching opportunities in this book and the series. I love a mystery. Great way to start children on solving life's mysteries!
Molly Fitzsimons
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elm-572
Nate the Great is about a boy detective. He takes his cases as seriously and doesn't let anything get in his way (except for maybe a break to eat pancakes). In this story, he takes on the case of a missing painting for his friend, Annie. The only people to see the painting were her dog, her friend, and her little brother. Annie takes Nate to visit all three and Nate looks for clues. He even solves another mystery in the process. Sometimes the truth can be hidden in plain sight, you just have to ...more
Becky
First sentence: My name is Nate the Great. I am a detective. I work alone. Let me tell you about my last case: I had just eaten breakfast. It was a good breakfast. Pancakes, juice, pancakes, milk, and pancakes. I like pancakes. The telephone rang.

Premise/plot: Nate the Great is on the case. Annie, the girl down the street, has hired him to find a lost picture. The picture is in yellow and it is of her dog, Fang. Can Nate find clues and piece together what happened to the picture?

My thoughts: I
Maria Justice
Scott Rhee
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I loved Nate the Great as a kid, and I had nearly forgotten how wonderful these books are. They are a perfect introduction (along with the Encyclopedia Brown series) to the mystery genre for little kids. I can't recall how many of them there were in this series by Marjorie Sharmat, but I know there are many. Nate was a quiet, serious little kid who helped his friends solve mysteries. He wore a trenchcoat and a Sherlock Holmes hat and he always preferred working alone. I remember devouring these ...more
Veronica
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My children have always raved about Nate the Great so I decided to grab one of their summer reading books to take a look at what they are talking about.
Nate the Great is a private detective who takes on a new case. His friend Annie's picture has gone missing and it is up to Nate to sleuth out what happened to it.
This is a beginning readers book and as such it is very simply written for young children. It is a wonderful introduction to the detective mystery. It is enough to keep a child's attent
scary or potty humor 1 8 Feb 04, 2014 05:08PM
Nate the great 2 13 Jun 26, 2012 02:51PM
  • The Big Balloon Race
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Mouse Tales
  • Wagon Wheels
  • Hill of Fire
  • The Titanic: Lost and Found
  • Daniel's Duck
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • Pompeii...Buried Alive!
  • At the Waterworks (Magic School Bus, #1)
  • The Golly Sisters Go West
  • The Fire Cat
  • Prairie School
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Commander Toad in Space (Commander Toad)
  • Flat Stanley (Flat Stanley, #1)
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize
  • Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
  • Nate the Great and the Halloween Hunt
“Would you like some more pancakes?" Annie asked. I could tell that Annie was a smart girl. I hate to eat on the job. But I must keep up my strength.” 2 likes
“Annie has brown hair and brown eyes. And she smiles a lot. I would like Annie if I liked girls.” 2 likes