Start by marking “De gevangene” as Want to Read:
De gevangene

De gevangene

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  49,619 Ratings  ·  4,034 Reviews
Op 7 december 1982 wordt de 21-jarige serveerster Debbie Carter in haar appartement vermoord.
De politie, die vrijwel geen aanwijzingen heeft, staat onder grote druk om snel de dader of daders te vinden. Ron Williamson, een aan lager wal geraakte lokale sportheld, is een van de laatsten die Debbie levend heeft gezien. Tenminste, dat beweert een getuige. Williamson wordt ge
Published 2006 by A.W. Bruna Uitgevers

To ask other readers questions about De gevangene, please sign up.

Carla The Innocent an follows a different murder than The Dreams of Ada. The Dreams of Ada case is referenced and described in the book, but those men are…moreThe Innocent an follows a different murder than The Dreams of Ada. The Dreams of Ada case is referenced and described in the book, but those men are still in prison. The Innocent Man describes 2 different men that were convicted of a different murder in Ada, and have been exonerated. Therefore, Yes - there is a reason to read this book in addition to The Dreams of Ada.(less)

Daniel
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The World!
I've enjoyed a few Grisham's in my day, and of course seen a few of the films... But this book is stunning, and it's his first non-fiction.

I myself practice criminal law, and of course if you asked me, I'd say there are bad cops out there, and bad prosecutors, and bad defense attorneys and bad judges, but I would not have imagined the devastating travesty that unfolds on these pages.

This is a story of small town justice going way south. It wasn't vigilante but it wasn't far off. They used the "s
Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town - Nevisande : John Grisham - ISBN : 385517238 - ISBN13 : 9780385517232 - Dar 360 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2006
Rebecca
Nov 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I preface this review by saying that John Grisham is one of my favorite authors of all time. Despite that, this was possible the worst book I have ever forced myself to finish. I finished it only because it was a Grisham novel, but it was downright awful. It is my understanding that this was Grisham’s first non-fiction book. It is his research and retelling of a man who is wrongly convicted of murder and put on death row. The book reads like a poorly written legal memo with insane amounts of unn ...more
Barbara

In this non-fiction book John Grisham tells the shocking and disheartening story of two men who were wrongfully convicted of rape and murder in Oklahoma.

Ron Williamson, born in 1953, grew up in a loving Christian family in Ada, Oklahoma. He was a star on his high school baseball team and played for several professional minor league teams, hoping to make it to the majors. Injuries and health problems shattered these dreams however, and a short unsuccessful marriage added to Ron's woes.
babyhippoface
If you're going to read this, don't stop there. Go online and read Bill Petersen's account as well. It's only fair. And after all, "fair" is what this book is all about, right?http://www.billpetersondistrictattorn...

The Innocent Man alternates between a compelling account of a murder investigation and a tedious account of a man's stupidity/petty criminal activity/insanity.

I had great respect for John Grisham until I read both this book and responses to the book by Ada prosecutor Bill Petersen,
Nenette
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pull of this story is the fact that it is not fiction. The book was tagged as something every American should read…..but this is not happening only across the USA. It is a very sad fact that applies globally. After I’ve read this, I am left with a couple of thoughts about law enforcement personnel who would go to extreme measures to solve a case even at the expense of prosecuting the non-guilty – can they really be that bad to the core, or are they just so much in a hurry to resolve a case, ...more
Natalie Vellacott
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I always feel a little guilty when starting a Grisham book as I know I will still be reading ten hours later...but at least this one is a true story so I feel like I learned something.

The author is trying to shine a light on potential miscarriages of justice in America specifically the small town of Ada, Oklahoma--those in prison and on death row who really shouldn't be there. They end up there for all manner of reasons; corrupt cops, ambitious prosecutors, judges who are too focused on retireme
Charlotte Smith
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off slow but once half way through it picked up. Different set up for John grisham.
Karen & Gerard
This is a very disturbing nonfiction book about our judicial system, a heinous crime and a wasted life. It showed how several innocent men were convicted of murder and that in reality, one is really guilty until proven innocent rather than the other way around. It is a very sad documentary about a talented high school athlete who really ruined his life with drinking, drugs and got framed for murder, and developed mental and physical illness. It's unbelievable how these innocent men spent 12 year ...more
Bonnie
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
I preferred this (and Time to Kill) because he deviated from his usual "prescriptive" writing.
Play Book Tag: The Innocent Man by John Grisham 5 21 May 13, 2017 09:54PM
Around the Year i...: The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town, by John Grisham 4 16 May 06, 2016 11:20PM
Cozy Mysteries : innocent people on death row 5 65 May 21, 2014 07:24PM
Ada, Oklahoma 6 110 May 10, 2013 11:03AM
A Real Snooze 22 136 Oct 15, 2012 04:32PM
  • The Dreams of Ada
  • Ultimate Punishment: A Lawyer's Reflections on Dealing with the Death Penalty
  • In the Still of the Night: The Strange Death of Ronda Reynolds and Her Mother's Unceasing Quest for the Truth
  • The Devil's Dozen: How Cutting-Edge Forensics Took Down 12 Notorious Serial Killers
  • Justice: Crimes, Trials, and Punishments
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • Crime Beat
  • The Murder Room: The Heirs of Sherlock Holmes Gather to Solve the World's Most Perplexing Cold Cases
  • Perfect Murder, Perfect Town: The Uncensored Story of the JonBenet Murder and the Grand Jury's Search for the Truth
  • Actual Innocence: When Justice Goes Wrong and How to Make it Right
  • Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away with Murder
  • My Dark Places
  • The Good Rat
  • Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
More about John Grisham...
“God help us, if ever in this great country we turn our heads while people who have not had fair trials are executed…”
-Judge Frank Howell Seay”
5 likes