Start by marking “Silly Sally” as Want to Read:
Silly Sally

Silly Sally

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  8,551 Ratings  ·  401 Reviews
Dance a jig with a silly pig. Play leapfrog with a silly dog. And that's just the beginning of all the fun! Come along and join Silly Sally and her outrageous friends as they parade into town in a most unusual way.
Board Book, 30 pages
Published March 1st 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 31st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Silly Sally, please sign up.

Rossy
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A bit silly but the illustrations are SO cute! Neddy Buttercup and Sally look ADORABLE, and the sheep was my favourite!
Matt
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of toddlers and pre-schoolers
Recommended to Matt by: My daughters
Shelves: childrens, humor
It isn't my favorite children's book, but this one gets extra stars for the look of joy my kids have on their faces when it's read to them. Clearly, this is humor that three year olds can appreciate. Also, as I've discovered time and time again, the best children's art has a depth to it which encourages the young viewer to be drawn into it and find hidden little details. So, even if you don't get anything from the book directly, definately recommended to all parents of 2-3 year olds for what you ...more
J
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun. Kept even some kids with the shortest attention spans I've ever encountered entertained until the end.
Chance Lee
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-it
Gosh I don't know if Ned Buttercup should be tickling Sally while she's sleeping, but she likes it and it becomes a great big ticklefest
Yelissa torres
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ronyell
Jan 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
“Silly Sally” is another new installment from none other than favorite children’s book writer, Audrey Wood. This book details a silly woman’s attempts to get to town while walking backwards and upside down while meeting new and loony friends along the way. Audrey Wood’s rhyming proses and hilarious illustrations are sure to please many children over and over again.

Audrey Wood’s colorful and silly illustrations are the true highlights of this story. Silly Sally is an odd sight to see as her hair
Melissa Long
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This fun book is set up in a portrait/vertical format because the images within the story tend to be long and tall. The illustrations in the book are very bright and colorful which give a happy and upbeat mood to the book. Although the text of the story is more formal, the bolder print gives it a more fun and interesting look as well as enables the reader to give their undivided attention to the images on the page. For the most part, the text is incorporated within the images,without the use of ...more
Heidi-Marie
Silly Sally is a silly book. I enjoyed reading it. Fun pictures. (I had to go back to the beginning to catch one thing that will be completely missed in storytime, but a close look in a lap-read should reveal it.) Great rhyming. The repetition should be good for the toddler age. Colorful illustrations to keep attention.

6/25/10 A good choice for a storytime that can have all ages. Short and repetitive for the younger ones, and silly for the older. A good ending book since it's short and I had ju
Becky Cook
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Silly Sally went to town walking backwards upside down! Along the way she met a...

As a preschool teacher I love this book. Not only because of the rhythm and rhyme but also because the illustrations tell what comes next in the story. Predictable books are very important for young children and this book is exactly what I tell parents to read to their children. After story time expect your child to "read" the story using the illustrations to assist them in storytelling.
Tonia Holloway
Jul 03, 2012 added it
Shelves: rhyme
This is one of the fun books that could be used and read at anytime. I love rhyming books like this because it allows the kids to join in with the repeated phrases and catch onto the simple repetitiveness of the storyline. I would put this book in a area, such as the listening center so they could work on following along with the story.
Gabriella Nahas
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought that Silly Sally was great because I was sad that day. And after reading Silly Sally; it made me have the sillies all day long. After that I was happy all day and the next week. I think you should read it because it is very silly. Like in the title: Silly Sally.
Yejide
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming
This book is very catchy just by looking at the front page. The colorful illustration is a great way to keep the childrens attention. Children would find this book funny because of the animals mimicking everything Silly Sally does.
Sofia
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
love it its so incredible and amazing it is INCREMAZING
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gravity
Silly Sally is about a girl who likes to walk backwards and upside down all the way into town.It is a good rhyming book
Courtney Hoke
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 12-favorites
Simple read with fun colors and a fun story line that will engage readers. Personally, this book made me feel very happy. There was a lot of rhyming and repetition that made it easy to follow. The color scheme was very bright and happy as it was a silly story with animals and Sally doing silly things. To me this book didn't just show that it is okay to be silly, but it is okay to consider animals your friends. That animals should be treated nicely too. Above are all the reasons I gave it 5 stars ...more
Rachel Doran
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My students absolutely love this book. Silly Sally is a book that you can get up and act out the scenes going on. Silly Sally has great rhymes and it is a predictable book because it always starts off with "Silly Sally went to town" so the students are able to read along with you. I find it a great book to demonstrate phonemic awareness, but also just a fun book to read to your children. I highly recommend this book to age groups of three to about six, but if we are being honest, I still adore t ...more
Ten_zillions
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Silly Sally" is a silly book about a silly girl with unusual ways. It introduces a variety of great rhyming words and teaches children that it is perfectly fine to march to the beat of your own drum. This is just another great social/emotional book about instilling confidence in young children. This would be great for pre-school aged children and there are great, colorful illustrations throughout the story making it engaging.

Maddie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Silly Sally is so silly! Sally walks to down by dancing backwards, and upside down. She meets many silly creatures on her adventure to town where they all play so happily all together towards town. When Sally meets a sheep, she and the other animals who have all followed backwards and upside-down all fall asleep until they are saved by Netty Buttercup who tickles all of Sally's friends awake and together they all head into town.
Lana
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alliteration
the story is filled with lots of wonderful rhymes and rhythm. The illustration is so colorful and cheerful. Many repetition phrases make the children memorize the story easily with reading along.
This story can stimulate the imagination of the world and things that stand upside down to the children and give children a new experience of pleasure.
Chelsea
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very catchy just by looking at the front page. The colorful illustration is a great way to keep the children's attention. Children would find this book funny because of the animals mimicking everything Silly Sally does.
Moore, Maureen
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Silly Sally” by Audrey Wood is classified as juvenile fiction; it’s targeted audience is ages 2-kindergarten. It is a good companion for teaching children about individuality and positive thinking. The illustrations are full of energy and wacky; it has rhyming, humor and vocabulary enrichment.
Heather-McC
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A 3.5 review for Silly Sally.

While it's fun for an initial read, and my kids love multiple reads of it, the story wears old after a few reads (at least for me). A great book for studying the letter 'S' or rhyming patterns.
Sterlande Altidor
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fun book with great colorful pictures. It is a simple and very short story. I think that children will love this book. This book has wonderful rhyming words and it’s a great book for reading aloud. This book is a must have to read to all children.
Sinthia Burgos
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: counting-rhyming
Silly Sally is on the move with many moves. Fun book to read on a silly day. Kiddos love this book. It is full of rhymes and different ways to move. The pictures are silly and fun. How will Silly Sally get to town? Each friend adds a new move as she goes.
Amanda
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This was recommended as a level A-B-C book at our library and my 4 year old liked it. It was great ad a read aloud story and I remembered that they read it to our 3 yr old preschoolers in their first day.
Tasia
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would suggest this book for ages 5-7. Silly Sally is about a girl who goes to town in her own creative manner, gathering silly friends on the way. This book had themes of humor, imagination, and joy.
Ethan P.
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My teacher read this book to my class when I was in first grade. Still to this day I can remembering the rhyming words to silly sally who went to town, walking backwards upside down. I don’t I ever will forget those words.
Betul Kilinc
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very entertaining fun book to be read aloud to children! The pictures are very colorful and fun to look at and the story is filled with lots of wonderful rhymes. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a simply fun book to read!
Amita Singh
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peers, rhyming
The book has simple vocabulary that would be suitable for kids 3-year-old. Children will find the illustrations funny and will enjoy the silly humor in the story line. It has good rhyming and repetition.
Anita Marlin
It is a silly, rhyming and a predictable book. The illustration is bright, colorful, and funny. It is a short and easy story, great for all age.
MCC Children's Li...: try this with kids 1 4 Jan 28, 2012 01:33AM
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Wiggle
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • I Went Walking
  • Hey, Little Ant
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • Mouse Mess
  • Clip-Clop
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Where's My Teddy?
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • The Best Pet of All
  • Dear Mr. Blueberry
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • A Boy and His Bunny
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood