Start by marking “The Napping House” as Want to Read:
The Napping House

The Napping House

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  40,825 ratings  ·  1,269 reviews
Everyone knows the cumulative rhyme “This Is the House That Jack Built,” but The Napping House (1984) is close on its heels in the race for posterity: “And on that granny / there is a child / a dreaming child / on a snoring granny / on a cozy bed / in a napping house, / where everyone is sleeping.” Included in the napping house menagerie is a dozing dog, a snoozing cat, a ...more
Board Book, 16 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Napping House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Napping House

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,362 books — 5,701 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,366 books — 1,599 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
I love this children's short story.

I love the little boy. The dog. The granny. The cat. The mouse. And I even like the flea.

I love the words.

And I especially love the awesome pictures.
Ronyell
“The Napping House” is one of Audrey Wood’s and Don Wood’s earlier children’s books and is probably one of their most peaceful books ever written. “The Napping House” was extremely popular back in the 80s for its numerous awards that it won which includes: the 1984 New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Book, the 1984 Golden Kite Award from Society of Children’s Book Writers and the 1984 American Library Association Notable Book for Children.

Audrey Wood’s lyrical writing is at its best as s
Michele
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, art
Well, this book grew on me. Probably because my daughter insists on reading it every damn night. Initially to me it just read like the "There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea" song, listing one thing after the other after the other.

BUT, this book is actually amazing and here are the reasons:

1. All the synonyms for "sleeping". There's a snoring granny, a dreaming child, a dozing dog and snoozing cat in the napping house. Yeah, I listed those from memory. Like I said, Every. Damn. Night.
Maybe s
Rossy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Adorable and funny! The illustrations are superb and there is repetition, cumulative sentences, causes and effect, perfect! :)
Adina Cappell
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an Anglo-Saxon version of sorts of the old Passover song, Chad Gadya. In the Heeb version, God destroys the angel of death, who killed the butcher, who slaughtered the ox, who drank the water, that extinguished the fire, that burned the stick, that beat the dog, that bit the cat, that ate the goat. In "The Napping House," the wakeful flee bites the mouse, who scares the cat, who claws the dog, who thumps the child, who bumps the granny who breaks the bed. The latter is joyously embraced ...more
Kate Hackett
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best 12 bucks

I bought this. For no real actual reason. 12 bucks on kindle. Worth it. Kinda. Why does this need more words.
André Caniato
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-arthur
Minha mãe chegou com A casa sonolenta da biblioteca pro meu irmão. Uma fofura! Depois, lembrei que eu também já li esse quando criança.
Lisa
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childrens' books
Guangmin
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like the book due to the pictures, which make me relaxed and peaceful. This is one of the good book for bed time. There are many descriptive words and repetition sentences that sound like a poetry, which may assist children easily to remember the words, sentences, and the sequence such as the person who is in the cozy bed, the second one, and the last one. Moreover, in the last several pages, which use some different verbs to describe each subject. The rhyme sentences can help children to reca ...more
Nicole Harney
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Summary: The book The Napping House starts on a rainy night with a house, which has a cozy bed in it where a granny is sleeping. Since the bed is a cozy bed, everyone wants to sleep in it. Throughout the beginning of the book, one by one a child, dog, cat, and a mouse all pile on top of the granny while sleeping. They are all cozy in the bed until a flea climbs on top of the mouse. Instead of the flea being sleepy like everyone else the flea is wide-awake and bites the mouse that wakes up, causi ...more
Kris
Young children’s book with lovely illustrations — just the opposite of Goodnight Moon (in that it’s waking up!). Deserves to be on any child’s shelf.
Manik Sukoco
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the Napping House, where everyone is sleeping. It's dark, raining and very subdued. First there's the cozy bed, followed by the snoring granny, the dreaming child, dozing dog, snoozing cat, slumbering mouse and finally, the wakeful flea. And then the wakeful flea bites the mouse... The team of Audrey and Don Woods has put together a wonderful, gentle bedtime story pre-schoolers will want to hear again and again. With easy to read, repetitive text and beautifully detailed, expressive illu ...more
Katie Foster
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This book has a lot of repetition to it, which is perfect for 3-6 year olds. The story is about a house that has a lot of nappers in it! The text repeats itself each page, adding something new that is napping. The artwork is fun to look at, because it shows the progression of the nappers. The end of the book also repeats itself, except how everyone wakes up. It would be a good book to do a class book out of. Each student could be responsible for one napper to draw and write about. It's also a bo ...more
Lisa Vegan
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every young child but not necessarily at bedtime due to too much gleefulness
This is a wonderful book! (I’m so glad I returned the board book the library first gave me and borrowed & instead read this hardcover edition.)

This is a really fun cumulative tale that is very amusing, and the illustrations are superb, really special.

I love the cozy bed, the snoring granny, the dreaming child, the dozing dog, the snoozing cat, the slumbering mouse, and even the wakeful flea, and the daytime nap and what ends the nap.

This is highly enjoyable story to read aloud. Over and ove
Luz Herrera
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought this book was good I understand that its for beginning readers so theres lots of repetition in it. Im sure the younger kids would enjoy reading it because they would comprehend it.I would probably read it to my class and see what message they get out of it,if they even find one. Recommended to younger crowds(kindergarden etc..)
Zac Brodrick
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Next to "The Going to Bed Book", this is my favorite children's book that I read to Noah every chance I get. Even though I read it to him when I am putting him down for a nap, it talks about a house full of napping people waking up... maybe that is why he only takes 40 minutes naps!!! Oh well, still a great book with great pictures!
Chelsea Christophel
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was adorable and great for young readers! The pictures all coincided with the words so it was easy to follow, along with simple text on each page. I would recommend this book for any classroom because it will keep the student's attention and also keep them entertained with the illustrations.
Cathy
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sleepy people, grandmas, grandkids, oets, and pet lovers
One of the books most loved by my children when they were little. I love it too. The artwork tells the story even without the words, but of course the words make a beautiful poem, and it is a great book for predictions! The grandma's (mimaw's) face when she bounces is priceless. I am Mimaw -- that is what my 2 baby grandsons call me. Well one of them. The other doesn't talk yet.
Mel
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My 3 y/o daughter loved this book so much, that not only did I have to read it over and over, but we had to "take turns" doing it. With the repetition of the words and wonderful pictures illustrated throughout, she was able to capture the story by memorization and tell me it in her own words. Too cute...and highly recommended!
Emily
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents
I absolutely LOVE this book. It was the first children's book I knew I had to buy when I found out I was pregnant. The pictures are just as much part of the story as the words and the amount of times I read this as a child are countless. I highly recommend this book to any child, especially those children at heart :)
Megan B
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a major family favorite. My daughter's role is to always say "where everyone is sleeping". The illustration is gorgeous and the repetition is really fun and recitable for even the youngest ones.
Beverley
This book is amazing and funny to read, the pictures were very interesting and the colors will capture the children's attention. It has repletion, and the words flow well and match the illustrations, great for reading at naptime or bedtime.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
I love the snoring granny! And I love the slow build up to the wakeful flea, and the expressions on faces of the cat and the dog upon being landed on. Poor dog, he really gets clawed! A perfect storytime book.
nancy
Jul 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the babies
Shelves: childrens
This book with CD work like a magic trick to put my 3 year old nephew to sleep. I sing the song that tells the story of the book and he is usually asleep before the cat.
Songia Washington
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books.
Cailean
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-read
This is one of those adorable board books that you love to read over and over because of its melodic rhythm. The only complaint is that it's too short!
Liz
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute.
Kathryn
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Cute and humorous! :-) I loved this sort of tale when I was a kid--one thing building upon another. It's so funny!
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 3 stars
Illustrations: 3 stars

Cumulative story, in the style of House That Jack Built. Sometimes you need a flea to shake things up.
Jack
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A snoring granny--- ha ha ha!
review 1 2 Nov 27, 2016 09:14PM
  • The Seven Silly Eaters
  • Freight Train
  • The Very Lonely Firefly
  • When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth
  • Where is the Green Sheep?
  • Move Over, Rover!
  • The Empty Pot
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
  • Bear Snores On
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).