Start by marking “Haunted Highways” as Want to Read:
Haunted Highways

Haunted Highways

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

For most of us, most of the time, the roads we travel are largely forgotten once we get to where we’re going. By day, they usually reveal a familiar, real—living—world. But then darkness comes. Haunted Highways brings together more than twenty of the spookiest stories ever of ghosts, hauntings, and supernatural events on or near America’s highways and byways. There are th

Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted Highways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted Highways

Diane Lynch
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I expected a bunch of scary short stories. That is not what this book is. The reader learns the story. Where it came from or how it started. This book is a collection of legions from all over the world. The common factor is they all somehow relate to transport. I'm so much more informed about stories I never even knew about. Nonfiction explanation of fictional legions is the best way to explain this. The end of the book had all the books used to put this one together. Readers can continue their ...more
Alicia Fox
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm glad I spent fifty cents to acquire this at a thrift store. It was worth every penny.

There's not much new here, just laying out several well-known ghost stories from throughout the United States. This should find a welcome second home with my niece or nephew.
Shyla Colt
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great informative read about different types of hauntings in different places. The perfect spooky read for fall! Odgen blends myths, first accounts and some historical fact in this haunting book that makes you wonder just what's out there in the night.
Tucker
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Large Marge sent me! YouTube: The Terrifying Tale Of Large Marge in Pee-wee's Big Adventure In Haunted Highways, though, I think it's always the driver who picks up a ghost hitchhiker. Pee-wee has it the other way round.

I learned that there's some highway where you can't carry pork in your car, or your car will stall, and then a white dog will show up and you have to throw the pork out the window for the dog to eat, and then your car will start up again. I forget the author's source; maybe it wa
John Orman
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some weird stories here--such as "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," in which electronic voice phenomena come from ghosts. In "Ghost Train", a car driver follows the roads that run along the route of Lincoln's funeral procession train. On New York's Highway 5, a ghostly Lincoln is encountered! A Telly Savalas tale tells of his hitchhiking encounter on Long Island with a driver who has been long dead.
Sandra Strange
Well, it's kind of nonfiction. The book is a collection of urban legends and true historical accounts of ghostly hauntings that have taken place either on highways or near them, accounts which have been dramatized or given a modern frame (fictional). The narratives are easy and fun to read and might appeal to some of the kids who really don't like reading that well, as long as they merely have to sample a story or two.
Melodie
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Recently read HAUNTED CEMETERIES by the same guy and enjoyed it much more. The stories didn't pull me in very much in this one, especially the ones that had to do with supposed history and the one about Hawaiian mythology. Have one more "haunted" book in The Pile, but think I'll sit on it awhile. Maybe I'll like it better.
Traci
A collection of ghost stories and urban legends centered around travellers and highways. More enjoyable than the last compilation of ghost stories I read, and at least this one was able to stick to its topic. They've been reformatted slightly to make them more of a "story" instead of something like you would read in a textbook.
Debbie Heaton
In Ogden’s book, the author brings together more than twenty of the scariest stories of ghosts, hauntings, and supernatural events on or near American highways. Spooky…a must for all lovers of the paranormal.
Kathleen
Very simply written, this book is suitable for all ages, it's also fairly educational as many of the stories are firmly anchored in American history. I feel, however, that my appreciation of the book would be greater had some sort of index, map, geographical grouping and/or photos been included.
Reagan
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book club book...I liked the idea of a compilation of ghost stories, and I really liked the first 50 pages. But after that it got too repetitive and more like a report than a collection of legends. Some of the stories were very interesting!
Lacey
After having read this book, I am ready to travel the haunted highways and experience the paranormal stories based off of them for myself. Anyone ready for a road trip? :-) great read if you love reading about ghosts and the paranormal.
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mostly retellings of urban legends. Not exactly what I was looking for.
Jacek
Dec 25, 2012
Jo Johnson
Jul 25, 2016
Yvonne
was really good had good stories
Alyssa