Start by marking “Highland Sinner (Murray Family, #16)” as Want to Read:
Highland Sinner (Murray Family, #16)

Highland Sinner

(Murray Family #16)

alternate cover edition of ASIN B001FA0QDA

In her captivating new novel, New York Times bestselling author Hannah Howell returns to the stark majesty of medieval Scotland and the realm of the unforgettable Murray clan, as a seductive knight and a mysterious young woman unite to stop a murderous enemy.

Sir Tormand Murray is certainly a rogue, but a callous killer? Never. Yet

Published 2008 by Zebra Books

To ask other readers questions about Highland Sinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Sinner

Start your review of Highland Sinner (Murray Family, #16)
Sissy's Romance Book Review
3.5 Stars
'Highland Sinner by Hannah Howell is book 16 in the "Murray Family" series. This is the story of Sir Tormand Murray and Morainn Ross. I have been jumping in and out of this series so for me this was easily a standalone book. Tormand is pretty much a man whore who has a long list of lovers and former lovers. But one day he awakes to find a former lover is dead beside him and has been killed in a brutal way. Tormand leaves before anyone can find him and he plans to look into her death. Bu
Zoe
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sigh, what do I say to this book?

I have tried and tried with Howell's Murray series. Every time I finished the book, read about all the 4 and 5 stars ratings and wondered: what did I miss??

I actually made it far in this book. Tormand, was what I call a man ho. He slept with women, so many, that he was ashamed of himself when he had to list all the women he slept with to catch a murderer. Morraine was a witch/healer. My typical issue with Howell is that her characters do nothing for me. I felt
Paraphrodite
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, listened
3 stars.

When our man-whore hero Tormand Murray's ex-lovers are mutilated and killed, the village's so-called witch Morainn - who's been having visions about the killings, volunteered to help catch the killer. Again, Simon, the King's man introduced in the previous book, lends his hand to the investigation.

I think I would hate to have visions of things to come with no way to change the outcome. The killers are pretty crazy in this one. I did find that (view spoiler)
Irenejosie
Highland Sinner was a nice read. It was interesting and it kept my attention when I was having a book slump. I haven't read all of the books in this series but those that I did were pretty good. I haven't read all because I only read those that I found in paperback.

Tormand Murray, the hero of this book, was a man-whore. That's what landed him in trouble here, in the first place. Morainn, the heroine, was an orphan, called a witch by jealous women. Since Tormand landed himself into a dangerous si
Felicia
UUUUUU I'm going to make a blog entry on my highland hunk-fantasy books, but this task proved to be quite taxing around this book. Why do men in novels like this always smell so "piney"? ...more
Tina "IRead2Escape"
Hotness Rating 3 out of 5

Review to come....
Blondie
I love this book and the serial killer in this historical romance made this book interesting and unique to me.
Carmella
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this story and have agreed to submit an honest opinion.

Tormand is a rogue, a lady's man. He has no interest in marriage or a committed relationship. His actions will come back to haunt him when women are being murdered, women he has been intimate with. As the townspeople started to question his guilt, his friend Simon and some famoly came to help him.

Kate was banished from town when she was barely a teen because they considered her mother a witch and had killed her mot
Chandra
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
AUTHOR: I'm one of those people partial to author Hannah Howell. Her flair for writing Scottish Historical romance is awesome. I love the use of the words that she throws in there, "I wish I could tend to YE now, LASS,..... "There are a few LASSES left in this town whom he HASNAE bedded." Her series always appear to have (2) main characters that cross paths which leads to l'amore. But, not before they either give each other a headache or someone else a headache.

GENRE: Historical romance

SETTING:
eyes.2c
Death comes calling.

Apart from the opening horrific images I really enjoyed this. The gory descriptions of butchered women threaded throughout are not for the faint of heart.
Tormand appears to being pursued by a maddened killer trying to indite Tormand for the murders being committed. The fact that he wakes next to a horrifically butchered former lover doesn't argue well for him being held responsible.
Morainn Ross is a wonderful heroine. Sir Tormand Murray is the bad boy who has played the caval
Margaret Sholders
Hannah is my author who hooked me on Highlanders! I have all her books. She gives us a deep dark story line. I am used to loping off heads and other body parts but this one really made me walk away a lot! Tormond woke to a woman dead in their bed. Major Spoiler! He books it to get away to find Simon, a King's man. Morainn lives with Walin who she found on her steps when he was 2. She has a Gift and sees Tormand and death. Now she is being sent from town for her Dreams. Spoiler. There is a terror ...more
Bridget
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-normal
Tourmand Murray is an attractive, sexy and single man with no ties and no wishes for them. He enjoys his freedom and only recently finds himself losing interest in the frantic life he has led. Then the unimaginable happens - he wakes up in the bedroom of a former lover, who has been brutally murdered and disfigured. Tourmand hastily leaves, not realizing that his ring was in the woman's hand. Several other women, also lovers or friends of his, are murdered in the same way and the fingers are poi ...more
Wendy
Jan 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
This wasn't one of my favorite books of Hannah Howell's. I had read a little of the story in the back of another book and was interested because I have enjoyed her other highland romances. But this one seemed to lack something in the middle. There was a lot of annalization of their relationship by the characters that I found myself thinking that it really needed to get moving. The characters had the potential to be good, but I feel she missed the mark on this one. Maybe she needs to write about ...more
A Klue

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 2008
Length: 378 pages, 4567 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1478.
Sex: sometimes explicit, not frequent.
Heroine: Orphaned at 13 and declaimed as a witch, Morainn has struggled all her life. She has raised a child left on her doorstep when he was 2. Some violence against her during story.
Hero: "the man whose braies unlaced at the mere sway of a petticoat" p.193, loc.2388. Tormand's a man-slu
Kathy Davie
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense
Sixteenth in the Murray Family historical romance series. This particular story is set in early summer 1478 and the couple focus is on Tormand Murray and Morainn Ross.

My Take
This was…um…I was gonna say fun, but the method by which Howell puts the young lovers together is not so much fun as it involves an insane serial killer. Other than that…

Howell seemed to enjoy writing this story as she addressed the fears the idiot…er, the susceptible fool…um…the uneducated masses had about anything they did
AND 1515
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last thing he expected to see when he opened his eyes was right next to him. He seriously couldn't understand why someone would do something like this.
Apparently someone was out to get him but now he needed to figure out how to save his own hid.
Because someone was definitely setting him up but the question was why?
The towns people were fools who turn her out so Morainn did what she could just to survive.
Then one morning she found Walin on her doorstep.
Tormand and his entourage didn't have an
Krissys
There were parts of Highland Sinner that I really loved. I loved the characters as individuals, (the man whore thing not so much) I loved their family dynamic, but I didn't so much care for the cast as a group and I didn't care for either h/h as a couple.
I didn't particularly care for what brought them together and I didn't like that certain aspects of Tor's personality were completely ignored while being the complete center focus highlighted on every page.
You still get the adventurous who du
Debra
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book of the Murray family series Tormand meets his match in Morainn. It seems that ladies that he bedded in the past are now falling victim to a vicious killer. And all signs are pointed to him. But not all is lost. Morainn tainted as the local witch can help clear his name. But at what cost? His reputation precedes him. The list of his lovers long. And the killer is getting away with killing those ladies. Morainn has visions and can help him and Simon corner the killer/s. But when the k ...more
Angel Hatfield
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sir Tormand Murray has been set up to be branded a murderer. To stop the murderers and clear himself, he’s sought the help of Morainn Ross, a reclusive woman with the gift of second sight. Tormand is the first man that Morainn has met that has accepted her strange gift.
This was a good story. This author does a great job of weaving a tale, usually between two specific families, and also including a bit of mysticism in it to give it that extra twist. I recommend.
**I voluntarily read and reviewed
Tiffany
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only have to see the name Hannah Howell, and I'm sold on a book. In my years of reading her books, I have found very few I can't get lost in.

Highland Sinner is easy to get lost in. It's a hot, steamy page-turner that will set your heart aflutter. Make sure you have a couple hours to read it because it is hard to put down.
TinaMarie
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meranda Semeniuk-Wappel
This book will keep you on the edge of your seats. Its got a lot of mystery within the story and it just is fantastic! With there being so many characters within this story, it was hard to follow at first but it got easier and easier as you keep ready.
CaroMommie
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good, it was a bit slow, reaching it's stride midway. Despite that I enjoyed it. I definitely recommend it. ...more
Lynne
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this Scottish-flavored whodunit romance.
Mum
Too gory for my taste. It took over a week to read because it was so gruesome.
Jenn
Very stressful and sexy. Odd combination, but it works with this book.
Clarice
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can Morainn save Sir Tormand Murray from the charges of murder before the killers come for her?
Janelle
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best one of the series so far
Cynthia Edwards
Very good
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Highlander Takes a Bride (Highland Brides, #3)
  • Highland Captive (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod, #4)
  • Highland Treasure (Highland Brides, #9)
  • Taming the Highland Bride (Devil of the Highlands, #2)
  • Highland Promise (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod, #1)
  • To Marry a Scottish Laird (Highland Brides, #2)
  • Reckless  (Highland Brides, #3)
  • Highland Betrayal (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod, #3)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • Falling for the Highlander (Highland Brides, #4)
  • Entrusted to a Highlander (Highland Promise Trilogy, #2)
  • The Highlander's Sin (Stolen Bride, #6)
  • Highlander Oath of the Beast (Highland Promise Trilogy, #3)
  • The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays #1)
  • Highland Conquest (The Sons of Gregor MacLeod, #2)
  • Hunting for a Highlander (Highland Brides, #8)
  • The Highlander's Promise (Highland Brides #6)
  • Surrender to the Highlander (Highland Brides, #5)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin

Murray Family (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • Highland Honor (Murray Family, #2)
  • Highland Promise (Murray Family, #3)
  • Highland Vow (Murray Family, #4)
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6 & MacEnroys, #1)
  • Highland Angel (Murray Family, #7)
  • Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)
  • Highland Warrior (Murray Family, #9 & MacEnroy, #3)
  • Highland Conqueror (Murray Family, #10)