Start by marking “Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)” as Want to Read:
Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)

Carioca Fletch (Fletch #7)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  787 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Carioca Fletch

Fletch’s trip to Brazil wasn’t exactly planned. But it’s Carnival time in Rio and he has plenty of money, thanks to a little arrangement made stateside. And it took him no time to hook up with the luscious Laura Soares. Fletch is beginning to relax, just a little.

Carioca Fletch

But between the American widow who seems to be following Fletch and the Brazilian w
Published (first published October 8th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Carioca Fletch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carioca Fletch

Hans
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is a bit of an enigma. It's clearly a Fletch novel because Fletch is the main character and because it covers an important event in his character's history--what happens weeks after the closing events in the first Fletch novel (Fletch).

This also isn't a Fletch novel. Fletch novels feature Fletch playing the role of an investigative journalist in some form. This is Fletch in the liminal state. He still is Fletch, but he's running from being Fletch…and he clearly isn't working. (He doe
Dave
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carioca Fletch takes Fletch and deposits him in Rio in the middle of Carnival week. Part travelogue, part mystery, part comedy, the story has Fletch accused of murder and followed halfway around the world by a bereaved widow, sealed in a coffin, possessed by the spirit of a man who died forty years ago, burying bodies at sea, beaten to an inch of his life, confused, dismayed, a stranger in a strange land.

This isn't a plot-driven story as much as it's a series of glimpses of a few days in Rio an
Jon
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of the wisecracking journalist, Irwin Fletcher, portrayed by Chevy Chase in two films from the 1980s, I really went into this book expecting a goofy story. What I found was a much more serious, yet entertaining, mystery novel. Set in Rio during Carnival, the story follows Fletch as he is unwittingly enmeshed in a forty-seven year old (as in, it happened that long ago) murder mystery. Taking him from the wealthy hotels of the elite to the slums of Rio, Fletch's adventure is highly entert ...more
Chris Aldrich
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Following a few months after the original book Fletch, Carioca Fletch begins with a jolt of plot as an old woman from one of the favelas of Rio de Janeiro identifies Fletch as the reincarnation of her long dead husband and wants to know who murdered him 47 years ago. Everyone apparently believes her wholeheartedly and there's nothing Fletch can do but go along with what might be an elaborate joke. Nearly simultaneously Fletch runs across a widow who he says will think he killed her husband! And ...more
Ian Cockerill
Jun 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In theory 'Carioca Fletch' is the seventh published book in the Fletch series, although it follows almost directly on from the first, 'Fletch'. I say 'in theory' because whilst I'm not entirely sure what this is, it sure as heck isn't a Fletch book! Best guess I can make is a free-form, drug fuelled travelogue of Rio and surroundings during carnival, featuring some bloke who goes by the name of IM Fletcher.
Gone is the clever writing and electric dialogue, and in its place resides something some
Jack Heath
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mpl-cd
3 Stars. More of a "Fletch Does Rio" vacation adventure than a murder mystery. It would have been fun to see Chevy Chase turn this into a movie too! Fletch has fled to Brazil and met the beautiful concert pianist Laura. As they sit at a patio across the road from Copacabana Beach, an old woman screams that Fletch is her husband - even though her Janio was murdered more than 40 years ago! Through the booze, the parties and the folklore, Fletch can't get any straight answers. Or any sleep. This is ...more
Ed White
I'm not really sure what story Mcdonald was trying to tell here. This is definitely an interesting look at Carnival in the 80s in Rio. He obviously spent time there and researched his story well. I just don't know if there was something to connect to in the story.

I also have issues because I'm a little OCD when it comes to reading series characters. I've been reading this series in the order that they were written expecting them to be chronological as well. Unfortunately for me, this is really
Revfry
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. Not the best in the series. It's funny that he wrote/released them out of order for the chronology in the book. This falls right after Fletch (The book the movie is based on). But it doesn't hinder the story at all.

It feels like a number of events in the novel don't really have much to do with the "case". Just things that happen on the way to the end of the book. But it won't kill you to stick with it.
Shane Phillips
Reading books older than 2000 on my to-read shelves. It’s interesting to see how they handle race, gender and other social behaviors. Fletch is actually more progressive than others. This was the worst of the series so far. It just seemed less organized and interesting then the previous.
Michael Prelee
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McDonald's writing here follows his pattern of making you think things aren't important until they become important. It was nice to see this pick up the story of Fletch in Brazil after the debut novel. I really enjoyed it.
Mark
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this more than when I first read it. Follows on from Fletch with the hero in Rio for carnival and involved in a 50 year old murder case.
Bryan Jaketic
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This story fills in a gap in the Fletch storyline, but it's not much of a mystery. It's a quick read, though, and it's always fun to catch up with Irwin Fletcher.
Brian O'Leary
Average story in the series, definitely not getting better. Peaked at the first
Barbara Lock
I like the Fletch series; very diverting and good plotting. The female characters are frequently sexual foils for the main character, which can get old, but in general I like the books quite a bit. What is special about the Fletch books is the plotting, which frequently involves at least two mysteries, if not more. In this case, there was the mystery of the missing North American woman in Brazil during carnival, the mystery of Fletch's doppleganger, who was murdered 45 years prior to the time of ...more
Helen
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After watching the Rio Olympics, I thought I'd give this a try even though it's about 30 years old in its picture of Rio. I didn't realize until I got into it that the plot takes place immediately after the Alan Stanwyck affair. That's kind of the periphery, though. The main plot is a bizarre and often confusing romp through Carnival with Fletch and a group of wild and wealthy young men as they (sort of) help him solve a murder from the past that supposedly happened to a Brazilian inhabiting his ...more
Harry Collier IV
This was decent book but it was not a good book. Sequels rarely live up to the original and Carioca Fletch did not disappoint in that regard.
Again. it wasn't a bad book and I enjoyed seeing Fletch in Brazil living it up. It had multiple mysteries happening at the same time and yet I never became confused or forgot what was happening.
My problems come towards the end of the book where we are given two chapters of pure exposition on Carnivale with little to no actions. McDonald rewards us for our p
Alex Teixeira
Sep 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was still in high school when I read the first Fletch book. It was 1982. The first Fletch novel was released in 1974.

I used to read a lot of mysteries back then and one day stumbled upon Fletch, I was hooked, that's all the mystery I wanted to read during that time (peppered in with some fantasy, science fiction and literary books, too).

I read all the Fletch books up to the last one, "Fletch Too", in 1986. This one was particularly fun for me, because I was born in Rio and have been back man
Jeremy
I had never read any of the Fletch books, so I decided to give this one a shot when I saw it lying unloved at the bottom of the "take-one-leave-one" book bin at where I work. If you don't mind thinking about Chevy Chase for a few hours (because, let's face it, it's impossible to superimpose another performer or a Fletch of your own mental design onto your brain-book-movie [someone come up with a better word for that, won't you please?]), there is brisk enough fun to be had here. If maybe not a l ...more
JDK1962
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An extremely long short book.

I had always been curious about what happened to Fletch after he arrived in Rio. Especially since I first read Fletch when I was a teenager growing up in Sao Paulo (yeah, I'm a paulista, not a carioca). Now I'm no longer curious, and this was a letdown.

It reads like something a famous novelist would write after visiting Rio at Carnival. Some of the small details ring true, but my god, does this man over-romanticize Rio and Brazilians. Ultimately, the mysteries and ch
Niki
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not my favorite Fletch book but I still enjoyed it. I recently returned from Brazil where I attended the 2016 Summer Olympic games so I especially liked reading about a place I just visited. Slight spoiler coming................................................................I didn't particularly care for the supernatural aspect of this book. The storyline with Janio Barreto was a bit far fetched for my taste. But as usual, the author does a very good job of writing the story and joinin ...more
Marlowe
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very atmospheric and unusual entry to the Fletch novels, and takes place a few months after the exploits of the original novel; Fletch has moved down to Brazil and is embroiled in mystery after an old woman claims him to the doppelganger of her husband, murdered 47 years previously.

Taking place during the hyperreal Carnivale, Carioca Fletch enters surreal territory, dragging its reader in with it.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
OK - but not great. Fletch is in Brazil and has no job but does have a girlfriend. He gets embroiled in solving a murder 47 years in the past when he is mistaken for the dead man by his widow. Hijinx galore around Carnival with Fletch getting no sleep for 3 days and nearly killed by his former murderer. Enjoyable, but not fantastic.
Andy
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Fletch mystery. Many people complain that there is too much Brazil and not enough Fletch, and compared to other Fletch books, that is true. However, the book is so well written that I really don't mind Fletch taking a back seat to Brazil. If you like Mcdonald's writing style, you'll like Carioca Fletch. Don't believe all of the negative reviews on amazon.
Steve Wald
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the more entertaining and memorable Fletch novels in my opinion, this one takes the lead character to Brazil, where he befriends and parties with locals, adapts to society, and tries to figure out why so many people are mistaking him for a late village hero.
Jamie
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am re-reading this series in chronological order. This is probably my least favorite in the entire series. However, it is pivotal in tying together the early storylines and some of the latter. Still some very good writing by McDonald.
J.
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Fletch books for (a) the effortless writing, and (b) the oddball mysteries. This one is as easy a read as the others, but the mysteries are pretty simplistic. McDonald was way more interested in capturing the spirit of Brazil than writing a mystery. So this is what you get.
Rose
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of boring. Kind of repetitive. Not the best in the series.
Jonathan Lee B.
Carioca Fletch is going to the start of a maze from the middle.
Kevin
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A distraction sometimes interrupted by plot. If the next one isn't better I suspect I will quit on this series.
  • Three for the Chair (Nero Wolfe, #28)
  • Tropical Depression (Key West, #4)
  • Cold Cold Heart
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • Chinaman's Chance (Arthur Case Wu, #1)
  • The Talmud and the Internet: A Journey between Worlds
  • Halloween III: Season of the Witch
  • The Search for Maggie Ward
  • Wild Pitch
  • The Salon.com Reader's Guide to Contemporary Authors
  • The Problem of the Wire Cage (Dr. Gideon Fell, #11)

Fletch (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Fletch (Fletch, #1)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley (Fletch, #4)
  • Fletch's Moxie (Fletch, #5)
  • Fletch and the Man Who (Fletch, #6)
  • Fletch Won (Fletch, #8)
  • Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • Fletch Reflected (Fletch, #11- Son Of Fletch, #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)