Start by marking “To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)” as Want to Read:
To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)

To Green Angel Tower, Part 1

(Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn #3 part 1)

First came Tad Williams' bestseller The Dragonbone Chair and then the chart-busting Stone of Farewell. Now comes the spellbinding conclusion to the New York Times bestselling trilogy. The 1,104-page saga finale is being published in two 816-page special paperbacks, the first released in April and the second in July.
Published April 1st 1994 by DAW (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about To Green Angel Tower, Part 1, please sign up.
Skeptical It's the beard. Beards make everyone look older. ;) In addition, he's got that streak of white in his hair that also ages him up. :)

Start your review of To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
Maja Ingrid
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm quite enjoying this trilogy. Actually read half of it just today. Which was like 400 pages. Didn't mean to, but I was stupid enough to think reading a chapter or two before beginning to work on my thesis was a great idea. It was a great idea, depending on how you look at it. On one hand, I finished the book days earlier than planned.

Now onto part 2 and then write a proper review (hopefully).
Kaitlin
This is the first half of book 3 in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams, and I definitely felt like this one started off stronger than the previous ones becuase it quickly (I say quickly in terms of Classic fantasy - which is often quite slow, so really not that quickly but quicker) gets into the action and focuses on quite a few different elements and exciting moments.

This story follows a fair few people who live in a world which is currently dominated by Winter and
Marina
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review soon on eydis.co.

Not much to say, its most interesting part of the series so far. More on eydis.co.
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
What a fantastic first half of what was originally published as one full book.

I love this series. I always have and now after re-reading it again, I am confident in saying this is one of my all time favorite fantasy stories. Not just this book - but the entire trilogy (or Tetralogy now, I guess, since they have split the 3rd book into two parts).

The world building, the characters and their development, and Tad's wizard like storytelling powers pull me into the pages for h
Scott
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, re-read
Just wrote a really long review that Goodreads didn't save and I'm not in the mood to rewrite it so I'll put the abbreviated form below...

It's a re-read for me (first read it when it came out 25 years ago)

Part 1 of the 3rd book in the series

Love it
Great characters
Well moving plot - but slow enough to let it build
World building is incredible

In my opinion the best epic fantasy ever written - Lord of the Rings is the only thing in it
Ulf Wolf
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The spellbinding epic unfolds.

I can’t help but to continue to compare Tad Williams’ excellent trilogy to George R.R. Martin’s epic (and still in progress) Song of Ice and Fire (dramatized as Game of Thrones), of which I have read all published portions; and to be honest, Martin does not fare well in the comparison.

Both epic tales are long, huge canvasses with multiple threads and fates that move at varying pace across the page and in such a broad telling one can easily fi
Aldi
I know To Green Angel Tower is technically one book, but since 1) our hardcover edition has by now become too rare and valuable to use as a mere reading copy, and 2) I first read it split in two, as I'm doing now, I will treat it as two separate volumes - of which I will always consider Part 1 as The One Where Everything Starts To Come Back Together.

In fact, for being set smack in the middle of a world-wrenching conflict, this one has always struck me as a particularly uplifting book. Not because dr
Kostas
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, fantasy
8/10

(Review for both parts)
In the last book of the trilogy Tad William gets us closer to the conclusion of the war, with the story becoming more epic and with the protagonists getting into even greater adventures than before.

Even though this book might be a little too big (a total of 1600 pages in the UK edition), I felt that the story flowed really well, and though it could definitely have been a little bit smaller it really isn't something that bother me in the end as Williams has/>(Review
Adrian G Hilder
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story shifts into a new gear with To Green Angel Tower: Seige the third of four books in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series. The heroes of the tale begin to do better than just flounder in response to the evil of the Storm King that upsets the balance of nature so greatly winter has come to all the land - Game of Thrones style "Winter is coming" (remember this series inspired George RR Martin to write his series).
Reading the book cover text, you would be forgiven for thinking this is
Nick
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best_fantasy
I will reserve judgment til the end of part 2, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book! there were countless wonderful little details and moments, characterizations and revelations and life lessons (sounds cliché but beautifully handled by Williams). There were a few spots I thought he took some unfortunate shortcuts in narration when he is otherwise a very patient and careful storyteller, both with modernisms as well as the diction choices themselves.
Nadine
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
have to start part two of TGAT immediately tomorrow to know what happens since they decided to split the book at a mean point!
J.M. Brister

Rating: Five Stars

Genre: Fantasy

Date Published: 1993

Series: Memory, Sorrow, Thorn #3

General: To Green Angel Tower Part 1 is the first part of the last book of the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn trilogy. Originally, it was split into two books for printing reasons, but I have seen books where you can get both parts in one book. (Tad Williams has a hard time writing trilogies without making them fo
Joy Pixley
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By the time we get to book three of the trilogy, the page count is really adding up. But actually, the books don't feel long to me. They make regular books feels rushed and shallow. The overall pacing is slower, yes, but that means Williams can pack in more realistic-feeling character development, more feelings, more description, more plot development. You get fast fight scenes but also plenty of time for reflection, worries, confusion, mourning, even boredom. It feels so real. And more descript ...more
Tricia
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slowly the threads of the story begin to come together - I have to say I am glad that the book has been split into two parts or it would have been overwhelming even for me.

The story moves at a swifter pace than the previous two parts and coalesces into fewer, more in depth, threads. Some characters grow, some diminish, all leave their mark. The world continues to develop with a few nice surprises, though I have yet to see the point of the spider-like creatures interlude.

At times keeping track
Toni
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This series is one that just constantly keeps getting better and better. In To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 every single chapter was interesting, even with the characters that seemed slightly stalled in the previous novel. And that's a lot to say when you're talking about a massive fantasy world with multiple viewpoint characters.

Already fairly certain that this series will end up as one of my all-time absolute favourites.
Ben Payne
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit slow in places but nice and moody and epic!
LJ
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default
I have enjoyed nothing more than sinking into the world of Osten Ard as of late.
Roger Tribble
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Fantasy storytelling with wonderful characters

I loved this series over 30 years ago. Revisiting this wonderful universe did not disappoint...at all. Not just terrific male characters, but great female characters and unexpected twists work with this classic well written hero's journey.
Pete Victor
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very strong novel and a fantastic fantasy book. Highly recommended. you won't regret this one. You will be gladly amazed with the writer's quality of prose and storytelling. Absolutely captivating stuff.
James
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Great story with many twists and turns. The gang is back together after a few harrowing adventures. Still many mysteries to solve and information about the past to reveal. The descriptive passages are still great to read.
Matt Crumpton
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This may be the book that I finally begin to think that Tad Williams is a really talented writer.

Let me sum up. The Dragonbone Chair took me 12 years to read. I would read it off and on. I would start then stop. I would pick it up later, start over and stop. Finally in April 2017 I was able to finish. The Stone of Farewell took me 1 year to read. I would read a little then stop for a while. I never restarted the novel, I would just continue where I left off. To Green Angel Tower part
Vera Maslow
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn Series Book 3: Part 1

This one starts out very slow, but once it gets going it holds my interest better then the first two books. If you are someone who has made it this far into reading this epic fantasy, there is something you like about it. The world is grand, the characters all have their own personalities and flaws. i rally like the world, characters and meat of the story. At this point I feel there is a lot that could've been edited down in the series.
Wolf_Maiden
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
These books just seem to get better and better. I'm so glad I stuck with the first book in this series, the Dragonbone Chair, despite the relatively slow start. Tad Williams is a great writer (which is what kept me going with the first book, much to my gratitude) , the characters seem to come alive, and the story is wonderfully complex. So glad I was able to get back to this book after a few years of being distracted by other books (one of the perils of having a library within walking distance). ...more
Erik Oliver
Consider this a partial grading, because this is after all only half a book; while this installment of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn was easily up to par and worth five stars, it's only the first act of a greater work. Aside from a satisfying battle a little ways in, this part of To Green Angel Tower was mostly threading the story lines back together for what will undoubtedly be a gloriously epic finale. But while it doesn't earn five stars by itself, this part of TGAT was, as usual, beautifully wri ...more
Steven
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The realm of Osten Ard is falling under the dark magic of the undead Sithi Storm King. As the darkness spreads, King Elias is succumbing to the evil sorceries that is luring him into an unholy alliance. Prince Josua is struggling to rally the tattered forces of the hopeful in a effort to make a stand against the Storm King. The League of the Scroll’s only hope is to unravel the mysteries of long forgotten magic. Tad Williams continues to captivate readers with this epic tale that rival Tolkien’s ...more
Duchess
Just FINISH it already, Tad, seriously, you're killing me here. Its not bad/boring enough for me to give up on it & is only *just* interesting enough to keep me reading.
Logan
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is getting really interesting now, as everything starts to come together and more of the past is revealed. This is probably my favorite book of the "trilogy" so far.
Stacy
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicola
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fantasy, epic
There's a note in the book about having to split the novel into two for paperback publication - all I can say is that the hardback must be whopping big! Novel's like these make me long for an e-reader but I'm determined to only read physical books as modelling for my daughter.

I enjoyed the book. It seemed to take forever to read and at the same time I was sad when it was finished and to have a take break from Seoman Snowlock. I think a large part of the charm of the series is Simon t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3)
  • Sea without a Shore (Moontide and Magic Rise, #2)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce, #5)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
Tad Williams is a California-based fantasy superstar. His genre-creating (and genre-busting) books have sold tens of millions worldwide, in twenty-five languages. His considerable output of epic fantasy and science fiction book-series, stories of all kinds, urban fantasy novels, comics, scripts, etc., have strongly influenced a generation of writers: the ‘Otherland’ epic relaunches June 2018 as an ...more

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (3 books)
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
“Of all the songs we Zida'ya sing," she (Aditu) murmured, "the closest to our hearts are those which tell of things lost."
"Perhaps that is because none of us can show something's value until it is gone," said Josua.”
1 likes
“But a mouse can be brave. Small as they are, though, they learn it is wiser not to challenge the cat.” 1 likes