Start by marking “Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)” as Want to Read:
Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)

Molly: An American Girl : 1944

(American Girl: Molly #1-6)

Molly is a lively, lovable schemer and dreamer growing up in 1944. Her stories describe her life on the home front during World War Two. Molly doesn't like many of the changes the war has brought, and she especially misses her father, who is away caring for wounded soldiers. But Molly learns the importance of getting along and pulling together -- just as her country has to ...more
Published September 1st 1990 by American Girl (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Molly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molly

Sarah Evans
Dec 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
To my husband's shock, the boys and I listened to this collection on audio. But she's not too girly and the boys love stories set in WWII. Not that the boys will be asking for her doll for Christmas or anything.

The writing and stories actually exceeded my expectations. I guess I was being snobby because of the whole doll tie-in and everything. But this is a solid early chapter book series. Molly's character is realistic and matures nicely over the course of the books. While we don't get to know
Natasha
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Of all the American Girl books, Molly's stories were the ones that bridged the generation gap between me and my mom. She and I cried together at Changes for Molly and laughed ourselves silly at Meet Molly. Changes for Molly still brings a tear to my eye with a re-read as a young adult. It probably always will.
Sara
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I used this title to review a book my great-grandmother wrote and had published titled, "Just Molly." Her name was Marguerite Nye Bell and the book was published in 1980. You can actually search for it on Amazon and it will list some places you can buy it used. So, it is a real book, even if Goodreads says it isn't.
I have had a copy of this book in my possession for most of my life, although I never read it in its entirety until about five or six years ago. I just reread it on the heels of Half-
Libby
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got this series intending to read it out loud to my 4-year old daughter, but my 6-year old son loved listening to it as well! (and I didn't mind reading it, unlike Magic Treehouse books. The dialogue is sooo annoying in those...) I was really surprised that he would enjoy them beforehand, but after reading it, it's not overtly "girly", despite being for "american girls". We are going to read the Felicity series next and he is looking forward to it just as much as she is. I think it's a great i ...more
Christina
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
one of my favorite American Girl stories :)
Annalise
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls 7 to 15
Shelves: american-girls
Molly is just a fun girl trying to do her part to help with world war II.
Kelley
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
We're continuing our road trip tradition of American Girl and Lemony Snicket - a weird but workable combination for our family of listeners.

Molly is a favorite for my 7-year-old daughter. She's listened to this collection so many times that she was constantly telling us when to pay close attention and listen for a favorite or funny part.

I found the stories more endearing than Kit's, but I still didn't love them as much as the Addy stories we listened to first. I'm starting to wonder if that firs
Bianca Nabarrete-Lopez
Molly is a girl living in Illinois with her family during WW2. She has to face many issues such as her dad being off in the war, rations, housing a English refugee, and many complicating morals about fighting.

My favorite part was the ending when Molly's dad finally comes back home. It was more bittersweet than I expected. I really expected that Molly would be participating in the Veterans Thank You Show but it was a better twist in that she had to stay home sick but got to be first one to welc
Goshen PL Childrens
This collection follows the life of Molly McIntyre, who is girl in 1944 America. You follow what it was like to have food & clothing rations, victory gardens, and each person contributing the war effort both in the service and at home. At the end of book there is information about a snipet of history for that time.

Good for 3rd grade and up. Younger readers could enjoy it if read aloud to them.
Debbie Haakenson
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
These books help develop young girls minds to imagine how life was during time periods of the past and what ordeals girls in those times went through. My girls grew up loving these books which also drew out family stories of my mother and grandparents times.
cozy reads
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a little girl. I was opposed with American Girl. I still really enjoy the stories. American Girl really got me into reading. I started American Girl when I was 9. I loved them ever since.
Kathryn Herbert
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Molly: An American Girl Doll is a children’s historical fiction book written by Valerie Tripp. Tripp, who is best known for her work with the American Girl series, wrote many of the books in the Felicity, Josefina, Kit, Molly, and Samantha series. Growing up in 1944, Molly is a 10 year old girl with a scheming but lovable personality. Molly: An American Girl Doll describes the ups and downs of life and lessons learned by Molly, who is living on the home front during World War Two. With Molly’s f ...more
Rachel
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Molly was my favorite, my baby, my American Girl doll who actually brought me closer to my grandmother and her own experiences of growing up during World War II. When I was a young American Girl, Molly's story was the most contemporary, which made her the most accessible to me (though sometimes, I wished I'd chosen something with a little more of that fantastical, historical feeling!) Molly's life was a lot like mine, actually- her mother worked, she went to school to learn English and Math, she ...more
Taylor
Mar 14, 2009 added it
molly M.cintine life is full of change. her dad is at war, and her mom works at the red cross. The whole world is at war, so life is hard for molly. But she makes the best of it. Such as in the first book meet molly, molly and her family doesn't have much money so her halloween costume will have to do with what they already have. in molly learns a lesson, it is mostly about how her and her friends do a secret project for the schools lend a hand project. in molly's surprise, they face a disappoin ...more
Audrey
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Man, the American Girls Collection was the shit when I was growing up. These books and the Little House books got me hooked on history starting from age seven. The nerding started early. I remember my mother getting pissed off at me because I kept re-reading these books over and over again, cycling through them. As soon as I finished the Felicity books, I would start the Kirsten books. After Kirsten, the Samantha books. After Samantha, Molly. (At the time, there were only four American Girls). T ...more
Allison Webster
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This set of books belongs to the genre of junior historical fiction.

This set of books describes the life, trials, and lessons learned by young Molly, who is growing up during the times of the second world war. She lives a life with her father fighting the war abroad and her family and herself fighting the war at home.

The areas for critique is characterization. Molly is a young woman growing up in hard times. However throughout her series, she learns many life lessons and grows up a stronger wo
Kayla Dunbar
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular-series
All of the American Girl Dolls books are very interesting. They create a different type of book for readers. Each girl has her own story and many different things happen to them. They each have their own trials that they go through. The American Girl Collection gives readers someone that they can relate to. They represent girls from all over. The girl I chose to read in particular was Molly. I chose her because she is from Ohio like I am and I felt I could relate to her. I think that this will c ...more
Maggie Wiggins
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I had the Molly doll growing up, but more because of her glasses than because of her era. I enjoyed Tripp's depiction of a large family (or what I thought of as a big family; I'm an only child), as well as how modern the setting was. She was most relatable to me because I thought of her as possibly a potential older relative. She and I both had modern appliances! We both had wire framed glasses and electricity! It's the little things here, people.

Readalikes: Dear America Series, American Sister
Teri
I've heard a lot of great things about the American Girl series--but I am quite disappointed. I REALLY disliked how cliquey and catty the girls in the book were. Isn't this exactly what we'd like our girls NOT to be? I appreciated the historical aspect of it all (this book takes place during WWII) but it doesn't compensate for the lack of good character I was expecting.

Our library has this on audio CD and my girls really loved listening to it--but I'm not going to be too anxious to pick up anot
Kristen
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Molly was my favorite American Girl and she's the only one of the original three who won't be retired by the time Kate turns six (the magic birthday where she gets to pick out an AG doll.) I figured she was the natural girl to start with. At first, Kate and Lexi weren't that interested, it took the whole first book for them to get into it but they got hooked. Kate definitely picked up some residual knowledge of WWII. Happy Birthday, Molly (where Emily comes to stay) was probably their favorite o ...more
Callie Stillion
This was one of the hardest books ever to rate. It had books I loved, and books that I didn`t like as much. But one of the best things was I can say "I`ve read all of the American Girl Doll Molly books!" and then explain it was in 1 book.
I think overall the way that they introduce Molly in the Molly series is creative, but a little rude. "You can`t leave until you finish your turnips!" And Molly`s response is autimatically no.
Overall the books were good, but it depended on the book, and that`s
Taylor Sandahl
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book does a great job of portraying life during the war, in a way that is friendly for kids. This is a fairly easy read, and teaches about positivity and fun during the hard times.

This book would be a great book to have for "free read" in the mid-upper elementary classrooms. This book would be particularly appealing to girls, as the American Girl Doll series does. Guided questions would be a great activity to go along with this book.
Alma Gomez
Molly is a lovely girl and a dreamer living in 1994. Her story is about her life at home during the WWII. She doesn't like the changes the war is being and misses her dad, but she knows he is doing something good for his community by caring the hurt soldiers. Molly is my favorite American Girl. All the American Girl books are good to teach girls about history and how they were different from all the other girls.

Grade: 2-5
Tessa
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love these books! Molly is a 10 year old girl living during world war 2. I like it because there are all sorts of problems in her life, but she always finds a way through. There are shortages of everything, and her dad is a doctor working in England, She has two annoying brothers, and an older sister who barely pays any attention to her. Molly is an example to me, and I think Valerie Tripp is a great writer.
Rebekah
I loved this books as a wee girl. I think Molly's camping adventure was my favorite. I mean come on, she stuffed worms down her shirt to win and got poison ivy for it. I probably read it about once a month in 4th grade, mostly because I had read everything in the library after being in the same school for 4 years and there was nothing else to read. Felicity was also a favorite and, well I guess I really liked all of them. I own Kit.
Rachel
I enjoyed reading this series when I was younger and I still enjoy reading it as an adult. The author does a good job of transporting me back to the period during World War II. The version I was reading was printed in 1988 and I wonder if they rewrote some of the "Looking Back" section after 2001 when we became much more involved in foreign wars.
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I miss these books so much! Molly was my favorite character in the American Girls series as a child. I thought I was so cool because my Grandmother was the same age as Molly in 1944. Wonderful, educational, heartwarming stories. This is what little girls should be reading these days, not some of the trash I see out there now.
Heather McCormick
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Genesis! What better way than get kids interested in books by marketing it along with a popular toy. These books were deeper than just the character and the doll, they were centered on a certain time period. The books had historical facts and told of the lives and troubles of the young women in that period.
Anne
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trish
Just when I thought I had decided which American Girls to get for my young friends for Christmas! I adored these stories--Trish, I'm with you, Molly is the best (so far). Her adventures remind me of some of my own childhood hijinks, and I believe the way Tripp writes about WWII makes war sound as horrible as it really is without being too scary for young readers.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
MCC Children's Li...: Molly: An American Girl 1 1 Feb 26, 2012 08:11PM

• Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (The American Girls Collection)
  • Clues in the Shadows: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • The Strange Case of Baby H (American Girl History Mysteries, #18)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t

American Girl: Molly (6 books)
  • Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1)
  • Molly Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Molly, #2)
  • Molly's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Molly, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Molly: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Molly, #4)
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • Changes for Molly: A Winter Story (American Girls: Molly, #6)