Start by marking “Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #1-2)

Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea

(Anne of Green Gables #1-2)

One Giant Literary Classics volume features the first two installments in the life of spunky heroine Anne Shirley. First, the impetuous, red-haired orphan meetsand must win the love ofher foster parents at the scenic farmhouse known as Green Gables. Her adventures continue as she becomes the new schoolmistress in Avonlea, where she finds new challenges and true love.
Published March 1st 2000 by Running Press Book Publishers (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #1-2)
Nicky
I read this when I was about ten or eleven, and forgot how much I adored it. I've finally got the whole set of the Anne books, so I sat down to reread this one today. It's easy to read, and charming, and more touching than I'd remembered -- I came over all sniffly a couple of times. And I also had a lot of delighted little giggles.
Dee (PlainlyReads)
Rating: 4.4

A good old children's classic. It was nice to read this after being disappointed with my previous read.
While reading this book, I always imagined myself as Marilla, while Anne is my niece and nephew, because like Anne, they talk non-stop. This novel reminds me a lot of Little Prince, where grown-ups, maturity, imagination, friendships and customary practice are the subject matters.
Chloe
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming and heartbreaking
Nicki
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had forgotten how very much I loved Anne Shirley when growing up. Rereading all of her stories has brought back so many memories, and I have fallen in love once again with the girl, Anne. After reading so many not-worth-mentioning, crappy, free, kindle downloaded books, this has been such a refreshing change of pace - well written, poetical, beautiful, and clean; and 'watching' Anne grow-up again is such a pleasure.
Betsy
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BEST BOOK EVER!!! And not just for children!!Seriously, why did I wait so long to read this gem? The writing is simply beautiful and the characters believable and "real".
Alice Motion
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in a fit of nostalgia one afternoon. As lovely as I remember (albeit unsurprisingly extremely dated in some aspects) from reading it as a child.
Ben
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Caroline
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! So wonderful and sweet. Can't wait to read the others!!
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
Check out my reviews on the main versions of each book.
Angelia Katsianos
You know when there's been a book in your childhood that you want everyone in your life to read because this is the book that you internalised so much that once you re-read it when your older you actually realise you don't know how much of your personality is your own and how much is a fictional character's?

There's something about Anne Shirley, her ideas and her personality that makes her a modern character even years after the novel was written.

L.M Montgomery wrote Anne with ample enough imagin
Adran Celf
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some episodes are laugh-out-loud funny, others are philosophical and poignant. The writing is light and lyrical and only seems dated here and there, but this only adds to the charm. Likewise, some of the attitudes are of their time, but the 'negative' ones are often questioned in this context.

Can be read and enjoyed by any age and makes a welcome change to the crash-bang-wallop of most modern books. There is a great sense of magic and poetry brought to the smaller happenings in life and the main
Winnie
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
(mild spoilers but not enough to mark it so) Anne is who I want to be. I love her optimism, her sunny disposition, and the way she makes her life around her a dream. I love the opportunity readers are given to watch her grow. One of my favourite lines is when Marissa asks why she stopped using big words, and Anne says something like she doesn't feel like she needs them anymore. What a big, inconsequential, yet massive character development! (For full context, you'll have to read the book.) I lov ...more
Octavia Cade
I read and reviewed each of the two books collected here separately, so this is basically just for my own records. The rating is an average of the ratings I gave the individual books, rounded up because Goodreads doesn't do half stars. Green Gables earned four stars from me, while Avonlea earned three. While I like Anne a lot, she's rather over-dramatic, with a tendency to purple prose, and needs to be surrounded by more practical types who make her shine by contrast. Marilla is a particularly e ...more
Lily Argeneau
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I surprisingly enjoyed this book after putting it off for so long (years, in fact). Anne is a wonderfully charming and energetic girl, whom we see grow and change throughout these books. It is wonderful optimism and made me smile to read her antics and goings on. It is not without its sorrow however but it emphasizes the realities of life, which is that while there can be a lot of good if we know where to look for it, there can be unexpected sadness as well. IT is how we deal with it that develo ...more
Sj LeHoven
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had so much fun reading this book! I realize that girls of my generation read it eons ago, BUT I was too busy outside playing to sit still for that long.
This really is a timeless classic. Though I imagine some of the vocabulary could be challenging for today's worth, I think the beauty of the writing will out.
The story telling is so masterfully done. Full of surprises. Not overly sentimental. But just touching enough to remind us of how precious life is.
The author most definitely was very awar
Cendaquenta
(Rating + review only for Anne of Green Gables, have not yet read Anne of Avonlea.)

Best word I can think of for this book is "charming". It really is. The writing is gorgeous, and despite going in with a bit of cynicism and being initially turned off Anne by her incessant yattering, I absolutely fell in love with the characters. (view spoiler)
I will have to watch "Anne With An E" (the Netflix adaptation) ASAP.
Adele
BBC Big Read #41
Beat the Backlist Reading Challenge: Middle Grade
Oxfam Reading Challenge: A book that made you cry
How in all my reading years had I never come across the delightful, effervescent red-headed (though I know she'd prefer it described as auburn or titian) Ann"e" of Green Gables before? The textured desciptions of Avonlea are transportive. But it was the stoic Marilla and shy, doting William that provide the little orphan girl a home and the chance to fulfil so many of her dreams and
Suzanne
3.5 stars.
I really liked Anne of Green Gables (it was a re-read; I have read it in Dutch as a kid). The ending felt super rushed though, that last year could have had so many more good chapters.
Anne of Avonlea I liked less. It seemed to me it was too much about the new characters. The last chapters were very enjoyable though.
Bobo
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
finished - anne of green gables

i picked this up after watching the netflix adaption and falling in love with it. the book is a lot different then the series as it progresses but i still enjoyed it. i think i have found a new fave!

have yet to read anne of avonlea.
Viki
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to the first audio book of Anne while Baking Christmas cookies, and thought it was so sweet, I wanted to know more about Anne becoming a teacher. This book too, was very charming. Narrated by 2 different women, but their voices were both similar and wonderful!
Gayatri
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's not to love? I only wish I had read these books when I was younger...
Nhi
Mar 20, 2018 marked it as just-cant
too lazy to finish.
but anne is adorable. "i'm anne - with an e!"
Benitez Bryn2
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book was very fantastic
Syndi Siahaan
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Definitely 5 stars. I laugh and cry with Anne throughout this book. If only I have the continuation of this series, I will jump straight into them.
Veronica
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books get better with each re-read.
Helen
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A childhood classic. Great read for young children.
Anna Bowe
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic... sumptuous in its love of nature and a fiery red spirit.
Naomi
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, read-2020
Anne of Green Gables: 3,5*
Anne of Avonlea: 4*
Flapidouille
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful! Do nowadays children still read (and enjoy) this book ?
NB. Could not find the actual edition, apparently I only read the first volume (Anne of Green Gables.)
Bunyip
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF pp. 426 - I think perhaps this is something easier to listen to than read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A House for Hermit Crab
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Serial Killers
  • What If Everybody Said That?
  • 100+ Knock Knock Jokes for Kids
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • The One and Only (Luke and Eve, #3)
  • Squirm
  • Annie Oakley (Rabbit Ears)
  • Skating Shoes (Shoes, #7)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • Dragonwatch (Dragonwatch, #1)
  • My Secret Admirer
  • My Monster Farts
  • The Lorax
  • Saving Winslow
  • The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)
  • Endal: How One Extraordinary Dog Brought a Family Back from the Brink
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Blythes Are Quoted (Anne of Green Gables, #9)