Start by marking “مثنوی معنوی” as Want to Read:
مثنوی معنوی

مثنوی معنوی

Persian poems by Maulana Jalāl al-Dīn Mohammad Balkhi (appropriated as Rumi by the Ottomans), 1207-1273.
Hardcover
Published 2016 by نغمه (first published 1273)

To ask other readers questions about مثنوی معنوی, please sign up.
معتز عناني Before answering your question ,

I should mention some points

Before answering your question ,

I should mention some points

1. Islamic history was written and recorded according to a Lunar Calendar which is 348 to 360 days. And it changes from one year to another , an average of 354 days.

2. That Islamic calendar is called Hijry ( = Immigration ) , because it began at the time when Prophet Mohamed peace be upon him , immigrated from Mecca to Yethreb ( the old name ) and the city changed its name to El-Medina ( literal translation is The City ) due to the new civilization that began to spread from that small city at that time after writing the new constitution of the new city combining Muslims , Jews and few atheists.

3. Since the immigration of Prophet Mohamed & his companions to the new city , Muslims got more strength , and the torture that was faced by Muslims in Mecca become to decline, although a lot of wars broke out between the old regime ruled by Mecca rulers and the new city , El-Madina.

4. The Solar Calendar is 365.25 days , which makes a difference of around 12 days between the solar and lunar calendar. In other words for every 33 Solar Years = 34 Lunar Years

5. Year 1 Hijry= the Immigration
Year 1437 Hijry = 2015/2016 AD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generally speaking :

The Islamic history began around 1437 Hijry Years ago with the Immigration ( 1394 Solar Years Ago = 621 AD)

or

The Islamic history began around 1449 Hijry Years ago with the beginning of the Revelation on Prophet Mohamed peace be upon him ( 1406 Solar Years ago = 609 AD)

* I hope it is a full answer(less)

Start your review of مثنوی معنوی
Ahmad Sharabiani
Masnavi I Ma'navi: The Spiritual Couplets of Maulana Jalalu-'D'din Muhammad Rumi
Dean Isensee
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This the most wonderful teaching collection of mystical life every created. Rumi has become the most widely read poet of the past century yet not many realize the true depths of his experience as a mystic. There are so many levels of all that exists in the Mathnawi. It is not just a book but a journey.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Masnavi I Ma'navi: The Spiritual Couplets, Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi
The Masnavi, or Masnavi-i Ma'navi, also written Mesnevi, Mathnawi, or Mathnavi, is an extensive poem written in Persian by Jalal al-Din Muhammad Balkhi also known as Rumi, the celebrated Persian Sufi poet. It is one of the best known and most influential works of Sufism. The Masnavi is a series of six books of poetry that together amount to around 25,000 verses or 50,000 lines. It is a spiritual text that teaches Sufis how to rea
Erfaan Kheirandish
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The content of this book is beyond one phase of of life of any reader. It's one of the most doable manual for life, though its fame may tell otherwise. It's a must read for anybody in any age.
Daniel Abdal-Hayy Moore
Again, a refreshing actually translated version of Rumi's magisterial work, the Mathnawi, which is giving me the same frisson I got from reading the Victorian Nicholson translations in the 1970s when I was just a tad. This and Mojaddedi's versified version are what we need now... and it's nourishment supreme.
Matteen
Jun 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The masnavi is one of the greeatest books I have ever read. The translation is abridged and leaves out some of the very interesting stories. Nonetheless it is a good translation.
Joseph
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ISBN 9780140447910 is on the paperback Rumi: Spiritual Verses. The First Book of the Masnavi-ye Ma'navi, translated by Alan Williams by Penguin, 2006. Williams' version is in free verse with extensive notes, including comparisons to Nicholson's. I've just completed a second reading of this translation and value it highly. Now I'm starting Williams' translation of Book II.
Yasser Fikry
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greatest book (after Qur'an and al-hadits) and thousand poeltry inside. Many people think and called this book "koran from Persian". Good to read, so joyful any heart of us
Andrew Weiler
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A look into the spiritual side of Islam, showing the love not what is currently being served up in many places
Nicole G.
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-atw, 2015, poetry
[This is part of my Around the World Reading Challenge which I began in 2014/2015.]

Obviously, Afghanistan has been in the news for a long time. They have a very long and storied history, were conquered by many peoples, and before Islam took hold, the Afghan people were Buddhists and even Zoroastrians, in the main. Literacy is not very high in Afghanistan, but poetry has endured throughout the centuries. There are a few modern poets, but I decided to go classical and read some Rumi. Rumi is claim
Ali Nazari
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ay qaowm-e ba hajj rafta kujaa-aid kujaa-aid
oh community of pilgrims (Hajis)! where are you? where are you ?

ma'shooq hameenjaast beyaa-aid beeyaa-aid
the beloved one is here. come over. come over
(listen-up listen up).

ma'shooq-e tu hamsaaya-e deewaar ba deewaar
like a wall to wall neighbor; your beloved is close by

dar baadeeyya sargashta shumaa dar chee hawaa-aid?
what is it that you're wishing for; by wandering the deserts ?

ay qaowm-e ba hajj rafta kujaa-aid kujaa-aid
oh community of pilgrims (Haj
Ali
The most influential Sufi poem ever written, the six books, Book Two is concerned with the challenges facing the seeker of Sufi enlightenment. In particular it focuses on the struggle against the self, and how to choose the right companions in order to progress along the mystical path. By interweaving amusing stories and profound homilies, Rumi instructs his readers in a style that still speaks directly to them.

در مورد شعر
Tariq Mahmood
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sufi
Simply the best translation of Rumi's first Masnavi in English ever. Must for all poetry lovers. I have both the written book and the narration in audible.co.uk. I have listened to this book for the fourth time. It is book with both aspects of life, good and the bad. Only you cannot take any sides as both seem to swap sides much like the capricious life in itself. Definitely the listening experience tops the reading one, so download and listen away.
Gela Tevzadze
May 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: orclassics
The most comprehensive literary piece on Sufi mysticism, the Whinfield translation is widely acknowledged as the best so far. A great "introductory course" before tackling scholarly articles on Sufism (i.e., "Fundamentals of Rumi's Thought" by Sefik Can, ISBN: 1932099794), and immensely enjoyable to read!

Also available on www.omphaloskepsis.com/ebooks
Alireza
Apr 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-prose
The celebrated Persian Sufi saint and poet, is one of the best known and most influential works of both Sufism and Persian literature;
It is considered by some to be the most important work of Muslim literature other than the Quran.
Najibullah Amir
Nov 13, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i learned - what this world means,, and i knew the Great ALLAH & ALLAH's PROPHET (SAW) but this book has drove me to know compeletly the GREAT ALLAH AND ALLAH"S PROPHET (SAW)
i prefer to every muslim youths to read this great book.
PaҰaM
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A masterpiece,the complete works of Molana which is mostly about Sufi mystisicm.
Erik09
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
I read English Version from NIKLSON, Very Attractive
Gh
Jan 12, 2008 added it
I can not have any rating a bout it...
Ahmad
Mar 19, 2008 marked it as to-read
mawala was one of the famous poetry of country
i love his poem so much
i have more information about this honorable person i will add it next time
Erzan
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A glorious collection of stories and poem by Rumi.
Muhammad
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I learned if we be good god will help us !
Novanka Raja
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This books is awesome! Thanks, Guru!
syed Ahsan Jamal
wow good books but i am new user so i cant understan the books how to read these books.......... hufffffffff
Saman
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molanaey Ruum! I love to read. Masnavi in Urdu language. Delighted to have it in paperback last night..
Ayesha Khan
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Masnavi manavi is a great book of maulana rumi.I have read it almost 3 times.
Fatma Ferah
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is my holly book.
Zee1
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Although I can't find the edition I read.. which was translated into Urdu.
Zeyna333435
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You really should read this awesome book! The stories are so meaningful and when you read it ,you have so many different ideas and perspectives.
MD KHALID
Feb 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too deep to understand. I left this book after reading few pages of volume 1.
booksmasnavi2 1 4 Oct 21, 2017 10:21AM

• گزیده اشعار فریدون مشیری
  • The Bet
  • Suvashun
  • The Blind Owl
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī - also known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī, Mevlânâ/Mawlānā (مولانا, "our master"), Mevlevî/Mawlawī (مولوی, "my master") and more popularly simply as Rumi - was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian and Sufi mystic who lived in Konya, a city of Ottoman Empire (Today's Turkey). His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's lan ...more

News & Interviews

“Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.” 2951 likes
“Two there are who are never satisfied -- the lover of the world and the lover of knowledge.” 1126 likes