Start by marking “Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #2)

Spackled and Spooked

(A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #2)

Home renovation is never easy, especially when the home's inhabitants are dead. Avery’s hunky boyfriend and business partner, Derek Ellis, wants to flip a seriously stigmatized ranch house where murder occurred two decades ago. It’s a good thing Avery has more faith in her boyfriend than in ghosts.

Their renovations are quickly interrupted when a presence is felt--and it’s
Published (first published July 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Spackled and Spooked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spackled and Spooked

Start your review of Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #2)
Mary
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read!

Avery and Derek are finally working together. They have purchased a house that has had three murders done by the man who owned the house.

It has been said that the house is haunted, but Derek does not think that will be a problem, since the murders happened 19 years ago.

But they did not know that there were other things happening on the street. They did find out when they started working on the house.

They heard screams when they opened the front door and footsteps in the hallw
JoAn
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This was a fun afternoon read. I really like the characters and the plot was nicely paced. Although I did guess early on who was behind the murders, it didn't distract from my enjoyment of the story.
Becky
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the series, though characters seemed shallower, and the author seemed to be trying too hard. I really liked the first one just as fluff and an interesting home improvement fun story. This one seemed a bit flighty, too many characters- most non essential- it made for a scattered story. Not sure I will continue with the series. Disappointing.
Julie
It was okay, until the main character fell out of the stupid tree and hit [Pete Puma] a whoooooole lotta branches [/Pete Puma] on the way down.
Knight
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. There were moments when I thought the main characters were a little slow to come to the right conclusions. But overall, interesting and enjoyable. Looking forward to the next one.
Shalor T.
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been a whole slew of themed mysteries coming out- especially those themed around things like house renovating or crafts. Some of them just can't seem to stand out when held next to their competitors & then there are some that are just fantastic to read. The `Do-It-Yourself' mystery series manages to hold it's own in a genre that is becoming increasingly competitive.

This particular entry to the series finds everyone's favorite fabric specialist working with her boyfriend Derek as they
Erin
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans
Recommended to Erin by: Lynette
I'd have given this one 4 stars except that I again figured out who'd done it, why, and how, pretty much from the very beginning. Ditto with the other "big secret" in the story. I'm not usually that great at figuring out mystery novels, and I like it that way, so knowing all along was annoying. However, I still really enjoyed the characters and the story--watching them figure it out, that is.

This time, Avery Baker and her boyfriend Derek Ellis have purchased a vacant house to renovate and sell.
Patty
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avery and Derek just bought their first house together and are busy doing the repairs and renovations needed to get it ready for resale. The house has a few problems, not the least of which is the gruesome murders/suicide that happened there around 20 years ago. Still, that is the least of their problems after a body is found in the crawlspace/basement of the house.

I am enjoying this series, the characters are a lot of fun, there are home repair tips at the back of the books, and the mystery is
Sherri
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first of this series, but in this book, the main character worked my nerves! It's hard to believe that she was born and raised in Manhattan! As naive and just plain dumb as she is, how could she survive NYC? Won't continue this series.
Janis
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love these simple cozy mysteries...fast read
AJ Preiss
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spackled and Spooked takes place shortly after the first book. Avery, a former New York furniture designer has put that job in the past and is now the designer side of a joint renovation business with her now boyfriend, Derek Ellis. In this book Derek purchases their first house to renovate together. The only hitch is that the house was the site of a grisly family murder ten years ago and there is rumors that the house is haunted. Will they be able to renovate or will the ghosts that supposedly ...more
Sue Buck
Spackled and Spooked is the 2nd Do-it-Yourself Mystery by Jennie Bentley and I feel it was a great story. The characters were well written and I love Jennie Betley's writing with all her twists am]nd turns that keep you guessing almost until the end of the book.

Avery and Derek of the Waterfield R & R bought the old Murphy house in which Brian, the husband killed his wife, Peggy, and his in-laws but was unable to kill his son, Patrick who ran when he saw the gun in his father's hand. Lionel Kene
Pam
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have really mixed feelings about this book, while I enjoyed it there were several things that just annoyed me. One was the lack of diversity of characters, except for one older woman who is murdered and a baby who was in a woman's arms, everyone in the story was college or middle aged. There is no diversity in anything including economic status, race, just white middle class, middle aged people. The second is inaccuracies in small details and in time lines. Events often took far less time then ...more
Linda C
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Avery Baker and Derek Ellis, partners in a home renovation and restoration business, get a good price on a home where a murder occurred 20 years ago. Soon after starting demolition they hear footsteps and screams but no physical beings are there. Then when they start digging in the crawl space to shore up the foundation they come across human bones. The regular cast of secondary characters help the local police chief. A solid mystery.
Holly
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series! This is book #2. This has everything I love in a cozy mystery- an awesome intriguing mystery, interesting likeable characters, romance & friendship. Avery & Derek buy a house to renovate but people died in it years ago. There are noises while they are working on it, and then they find bones in the crawl space. Someone is unhappy they found the bones but who? Avery & Derek & friends need to find out who is trying to scare them off. ...more
Dawn
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avery Baker is new to the small town of Waterfield, Maine. She lives comfortably in the house she inherited and restored while beginning a new renovation business with her boyfriend, Derek Ellis. The two begin to renovate a house that has been empty nearly two decades after the previous owners died under unfortunate circumstances. Though the house may be haunted, the pair jump in feet first. They aren’t on the job long before trouble pops up, beginning with unlevel floors.
This is the second boo
Sandra Holladay
Not as interesting as the first book in the series, but still a good read. I did guess the killer and the other major plot development, as well as whose body it was early on, which is unusual for me.
Jeanie Harper
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great new series. Also has DIY PROJECTS in the back of the book.
Amanda
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, quick cozy with a fairly standard and predictable plot.
Karen
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good cozy mystery series to read in the winter when you want to stay in bed all day.
Pianogirl1126
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great 2nd book to the series. I am really enjoying these
Michele
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the first book.....the second one is just as good!! Cannot wait for the next one...
Kathie
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story line. I could not figure out who did it although i had ideas of how I hoped it would work out. This is a great series.
Emily
These are fun reads with a main character that always seems to find herself in the middle of the drama. A solid 3.5⭐️!
Jackie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved it. Love the characters. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Rachel Cohen
Cute enough, besides an easy murderer to predict and the repeated derogatory use of “illegal alien”.
Shannon Burklin
Great niche read

Better than the first novel in the series, I believe. Author is good at developing the plot and storyline. Great job!
Katherine Decker
Very enjoyable. Fun continuation of the series.
Jenny
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is taking forever to read because life keeps getting in the way. Flooded basement, cleaning up that, making list of damaged items. Blech. Then daughter getting her Driver's license.

Dec. 11: Finally finished this one, the story was just ok for me. The first one in the series was a lot better. I'm not sure if I will look for more books in this series or not.
Drebbles
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Avery Baker and her boyfriend/business partner, Derek Ellis, know they are taking a big risk when they buy a house to flip and resell: a horrific murder/suicide happened there years ago, and the place is rumored to be haunted. Avery doesn't think she believes in ghosts, but she starts to wonder when she hears footsteps and there is no one there. However, Avery and Derek soon have even bigger problems when evidence of a more recent murder is uncovered. Avery wonders if they'll ever get the house ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Ghost and Mrs. McClure (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • A High-End Finish (Fixer-Upper Mystery, #1)
  • Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • A Wrench in the Works (Fixer-Upper Mystery, #6)
  • Crowned and Moldering (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #3)
  • Deck the Hallways (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #4)
  • This Old Homicide (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #2)
  • A Dark and Stormy Murder (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • A Story to Kill (Cat Latimer Mystery, #1)
  • Steamed Open (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #7)
  • The Pint of No Return (A Sloan Krause Mystery, #2)
  • Death on Tap (A Sloan Krause Mystery #1)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • This Pen for Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • Eaves of Destruction (Fixer-Upper Mystery #5)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)

A Do-It-Yourself Mystery (7 books)
  • Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1)
  • Plaster and Poison (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #3)
  • Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4)
  • Flipped Out (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #5)
  • Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)
  • Home for the Homicide (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #7)

News & Interviews