Start by marking “The Brightest Star In The Sky” as Want to Read:
The Brightest Star In The Sky

The Brightest Star In The Sky

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  19,755 Ratings  ·  1,280 Reviews
Fate is on its way to the tenants of 66 Star Street, bringing with it love and tragedy, friendship and heartbreak, and the power to change lives ... One of them is falling in love; another is torn between two lovers. For some, secrets they want to stay buried will come to light and for others the unveiling of those secrets will have tragic consequences.
Published December 21st 2010 by Penguin UK (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Brightest Star In The Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brightest Star In The Sky

Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The residents of 66 Star Street in Dublin are all being watched… but by what? Maeve and Matt seem happy enough to anybody looking in, but behind the facade is a truth that neither of them wants to be made public. Katie and Conall have a love/hate relationship, but how will the arrival of TV gardener Fionn affect their relationship?

Lydia lives with Polish men Andrei and Jan, but can’t stand either of them… not to mention the problems Lydia is having with her own mother as well. And Jemima lives w
Nikki
Reviewed at JudgingCovers.co.uk

Before I start, I should say that I adore Marian Keyes. I’ve read all of her books; I’ve laughed, I’ve cried, and I’ve loved almost every word. I could probably go as far to say that I worship the ground she walks on.

So it pains me to say that I struggled with this book.

The story focuses around a small block of flats in Dublin, and a mysterious character that is watching over all of its residents. This supernatural visitor, who acts as a narrator, is able to see in
Kirstine
Why did I read this book? I was waiting in the library and it looked interesting.

Am I regretting it? No, I'm not. Not really.

The thing is, if this book had held on to the atmosphere and narration from the beginning, it would have gotten 4 stars. I would have thoroughly enjoyed it. Instead it suddenly turns from "oh, warm, cozy book about love and loss and finding yourself in a world of turmoil" to "PAIN AND ANGER (view spoiler)
Sophie
Apr 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't recommend this book
Shelves: 2000-onwards
I found the characters well rounded and despite their diverse personalities they were for the most part likeable - with one very large exception.

Although the story jumps about a fair amount, it is still quite easy to follow once you adapt to the style.

From a negative point of view, I did not enjoy the story, and found the book quite a distressing read.

****Contains Spoilers****

(view spoiler)
Sep 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arielle Walker
Jun 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alone
It pains me to give this one star (and I'd prefer to give it 1.5 but I just can't) as I love Marian Keyes, but this book took me by surprise - and not in a good way. I figured out the "big secret" with Maeve early on, but I'm not sure whether that was due to it being obvious, or more a recognition of subtle signs, so maybe not everyone would work it out so quickly.

While I understand that having any warning as to what had happened would essentially take away any suspense in the story, if I had
Ash
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading the book fifteen minutes ago, and am slightly scarred by the ending. Very graphic and dramatic and the just-desserts for David seemed unbelievable. However, the writing was good and it was an enjoyable read, if you're in the mood for something heavy. Let me clarify that this is not in any way a beach read, particularly the final 50 or so pages. Many characters - Rosie in particular - I really wanted to slap. She's like an annoying neighbour that pops over unannounced and st ...more
Anne
I've been a massive Marian Keyes fan since way back in 1995 when I read 'Watermelon', and I've read every one of her book since then, some have been better than others, especially those that feature the Walsh family, but I've enjoyed all of them.

Marian Keyes' books always contain hilarious one-liners, wittily drawn characters that are warm and that the reader cares about whilst usually dealing with quite serious and often serious issues.

To me, this almost feels like s lagging off one of my best
Elaine
May 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beaches-reads
A real disappointment. It is over 600 pages and I got 150 pages in before I threw the towel in. The story centres around a block of flats in Dublin and its various inhabitants and it switches from character to character with lots of flashbacks so that you get to know them all, but it does get a little confusing trying to get each one straight in your mind.

There is some mysterious “ghostly” type of invisible entity hovering over the flats and its inhabitants which keeps saying that “everything i
Daniella Salt
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, humour
Somewhat standard Marian Keyes novel - funny and lighthearted whilst simultaneously poignant, moving and a little sad.
An ensemble cast of very different characters, all of whom you can't help but like (at least eventually).

Not one of her best IMO, but I think I'll always have an automatic bias for the first few I read (Watermelon, Rachel's Holiday, Sushi for Beginners).

Like all Marian Keyes books, it makes me want to start speaking with an Irish influence. That'd be grand, like. 🍀
Rachel
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I've read several of Marian Keyes's novels in recent years. It seems that I continue to pick up better and better novels. I originally thought she was a fluff chick-lit author after reading Angels and Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, but was pleasantly surprised by Anybody Out There? Given the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this novel, I jumped at the chance.

A great asset to this book are the levels of mystery that begin right on the first page. The chapters are labeled as days and ser
Faith
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
The magic of Marian? I didn't particularly like this book but still enjoyed reading it.

To start from the good things: Marian is good at characters. I always love her sympathetic characters. That's why I more or less enjoy reading her books regardless of my other objections. Even if I don't like the story, I want to know what happens to the characters. Other good points are that Marian is always light reading and always humorous and funny.

But. Otherwise Marian's books have deteriorated in standar
Emma Meade
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all of her books, The Brightest Star in the Sky hooked me early on. Mind you I wasn’t very sure what exactly was going on at the start, or who the unusual narrator was but Marian’s typical wit and flair for comedy kept me turning the pages. I even missed Desperate Housewives because I had my head stuck in the book and I should probably thank Ms. Keyes for this also.
There are so many fun and varied characters to get to grips with and as is usual with Keyes, her women have strong personali
Emma
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book, but I'm so glad I finally did. As always, Marian deals with upsetting subjects with good humour and understanding. Whilst many tough issues are explored, the book definitely has a positive and optimistic tone.

The book does take place from multiple points of view, which I think attributed to me taking so long to get into the book. It was a bit annoying when you started to get attached to one characters storyline for it o suddenly change. As the book progr
Britany
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was a quirky fun read involving a third person narrator who comes to "check in" on the residents of 66 Star Street. All of the characters are funny and each is faced with their own sets of probelms.

For me, this carried on a bit too long for my taste, and the majority of the story could've been accomplished and written in half the number of pages that it was. I did enjoy glancing in on people's lives and how they interacted and were attracted to one another.
Kat
I definitely needed to read a novel like this! It's been some time since I read something happy-go-lucky and it provided just that kind of entertainment.

I laughed and smiled all through reading this book, Marian Keyes has such an easy-going language and writes her characters so wonderfully cynical and sarcastic that I can't help but feeling intimately connected to them. We have so much in common! I'm still smiling.
Kelly Hager
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took me a little while to get into but once I did, it was magic.

It centers around four apartments in Dublin and the lives of their inhabitants. Here's what Amazon says:

"Marian Keyes's inimitable blend of rollicking humor, effervescent prose, and stories that deal with real-life issues have captivated readers around the globe. She is one of the bestselling authors of women's fiction in the English-speaking world. Her new novel will delight fans of Candace Bushnell's darkly comic sensibility
Ms Tlaskal
I know, I know, it's trashy, but I challenge you to read one of her books and not be able to stop, like the mars bars that Connell, one of the main men is always chomping down. The plot is predictable and by the end... a join the dots conclusion but what she does well, is getting you hooked on her characters and her turns of phrase lift it out of the ordinary gold embossed cover fare. She describes Connell as wearing the kind of quality dark suits 'you sign peace treaties in'. There is a mystery ...more
Andrea
The Brightest Star in the Sky is hard for me up rate. I'm giving it four stars because I liked all the characters' stories (except Fionn, ugh) and loved that they intertwined. Katie, Conall, Matt, and Maeve were my favorites, even when they broke my heart. Marian Keyes is easy to read and enjoy. She's a go-to, feel good author for me.

If not for these factors, I would rate the book three stars, because of the twist of the narrator. (view spoiler)
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got an advanced reader's copy as a "free gift" at the Bookcellar (hint, when you buy something off their recommended wall, what you get is a random mystery book wrapped in paper). I read it in a sitting.

I don't want to give too much away about the conceit that frames the story (which I found to be, frankly, vomitous) but the characters and day to day story involve your mix of middle class white people living in an apartment building in Dublin (very Tales of the City), they have jobs and romant
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
A bit odd - especially who the narrator(s) turn out to be - but a very funny, sad, engaging novel. Unlike any other Keyes novel, but still chock full of her wit, charm, and immense storytelling ability.
Hannah Rosenthal
בדרך כלל מאוד נהניתי מהספרים של מרואן קיז. הספר הזה הוא רומן רומנטי חביב. לא נשפכתי מהקונספט .
Vicky (A Backpack Full of Adventures)
When people ask me who my favourite authors are and I start gushing over Marian Keyes' amazingness, they tend to think: right, she's a chick-lit girl. She's living in her fairytale world, likes pink, wears high heels 24/7, is addicted to chocolate and most importantly, doesn't like classic literature.Those people who tend to label us for reading chick-lit should be prepared because are in for a surprise. The Brightest Star in the Sky is so much more than just a nice story.

On a bright summer day,
Vaishakhi Bharucha
I read Marian Keyes with great eagerness and have read most of her books.
So to get one more handed to me to read was just a sheer delight.
I started The Brightest Star in the Sky with great gusto. For those eager to lay hands on this book, I must warn you, it’s rather a thick book. Okay… it’s a fat book.
But Marian Keyes keeps you on your toes right from the start with a character you don’t know moving through all the characters that live in a particular building.
If you’ve read Marian Keyes, you
Julie
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like any Marian Keyes book "The Brightest Star in the Sky" is like wrapping up in a warm blanket on a cozy, cool, Fall day by a crackling fire. I laughed, I was sad, I adored the characters, I resented the day-to-day chores that ripped me from the pages and was not fully present anywhere else until I reached "The End." Also, I incorporate Irish slang into my dialogue the following week or so.

LOVE Marian Keyes. She is bloody brilliant. The worlds she weaves are so realistic, so deeply funny, and
Adriana
Marian Keyes is one of my favorite writers. However, like other reader reviews I've read, I have to say that this book did not do it for me.

Marian Keyes is not just your typical chick lit author. She really elevates the genre by pulling in more serious issues. I loved the way she moved from goofy to intense in This Charming Man, but it just didn't grip me the same way in the Brightest Star in the Sky. Maybe it was a little too much too late? Or maybe I just didn't care. I'm not sure what preven
Amanda
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jen Holloway
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find Marian Keyes's books a little hit and miss - some I adore - like this one and others I struggle to engage with. This book was one of the few that have made me blub; proper beefy swollen eyes type of blubbing so much so I was scared to pick it up again! But I'm glad I did finish it, it was well worth it and one of those rare can't-put-down novels.
This one is one to take on a long plane ride or to the beach where you read undisturbed.
Becky R.
Throughout the story, you follow the lives of the different characters . As is familiar today, we watch one character's story, then move on to another, examining how they all intersect. In this story, they do all rub shoulders eventually, but not all for one overriding story. Each story is important. There is the old lady with her dog, the young TV gardening star, the young married couple who seem "old," the 40ish single professional woman (dating her boss, no less), and the 20ish female taxi dr ...more
Caitlin
  • Playing Away
  • Promises to Keep
  • It Had to Be You
  • Artistic License
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes includ ...more
More about Marian Keyes...

“Minsk! How pissed-off that sounded! It was great. You could scare the bejayzus out of someone if you said it right.” 8 likes
“You have a magnificent moustache. You must be very proud of it.” 6 likes