Start by marking “Gung Ho! een overtuigende methode om uw medewerkers te inspireren” as Want to Read:
Gung Ho! een overtuigende methode om uw medewerkers te inspireren

Gung Ho! een overtuigende methode om uw medewerkers te inspireren

Persoonlijke betrokkenheid van medewerkers is in elk bedrijf onbetaalbaar. Maar hoe krijg je je mensen zo gemotiveerd en enthousiast dat zij zich volledig inzetten voor hun organisatie? Het antwoord ligt besloten in de drie eenvoudige principes van Gung Ho, principes die voor elke manager zijn na te volgen. Blanchard en Bowles beschrijven deze revolutionaire techniek aan d ...more
Published November 2006 by Uitgeverij Business Contact (first published October 8th 1996)

Start your review of Gung Ho! een overtuigende methode om uw medewerkers te inspireren
Jamie Matthews
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was super helpful for my team to read, and we use a lot of the language from the book when communicating as a team. It is a fast easy read, and the content has been useful on many occasions :)
Doug Warren
Aug 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly like every feel good "we are going to work together as a team and build a successful team!" books I have ever read. I think the only difference is it didn't have the word synergy. (At least, thinking back, I don't ever remember seeing that word. There's still a good change it was there.) And the margins and the top and the bottom of the page were ridiculously large. I mean, if you don't have enough content to fill 256 pages, then don't make your book 256 pages! (Seriously, 2 inch ...more
Kristen
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My boss had us read this book. I would actually like to buy it; Ken gives good advice on how to motivate people and what motivates them. Even if for your own personal information, it is very enlightening. In the end it is leadership and inspiration, not just management.
Maureen
This book has some good information, but it really dragged the whole time I was reading it.
Judd Pendred
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read!! If you want to influence any way in an organization this would be a great way to do so!
Cathy Allen
One would not expect to find Native American philosophy in a book called Gung Ho! but that is exactly what we have here. Thought-provoking, applicable, much-needed, and timely philosophy, embedded (because it is Blanchard and Bowles) in an easily-read story. This time the tale is less fable and more adapted true story of a real-life newbie CEO who is sent to oversee the closure of a factory owned by a large conglomerate, but instead turns the organization around and saves it.

Key to her success
Cristian  Morales
Some of my notes:

This is a very beautiful theory.

I greatly enjoyed the fable aspect of it.

Gung Ho! is basically a system that turns the behavior found in a highly motivated sub group into an organizational culture. The scenario described is ideal. Everybody drinks the Kool-Aid and the system works, but how could you positively address a pervasive unwillingness of the existing culture to comply? Is it immoral to peer pressure others into motivation? (hah!)

I wish there was a real life case-study
Carl Paukstis
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Real, practical advice about managing and motivatoing people. Wrapped in a somewhat schmaltzy fable or fairy-tale pretending to be a documentary of a real-life manager's success story.

I'm a sucker for chick-flicks and inspirational stories. I found this book inspirational. Anybody who cares about managing people in business - no matter what the business - should read this book.

Very quick read. Less than one day. Probably a LOT less.
Corey
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to get past the silly animal analogies and (made up) narrative. It has concepts that are good on their own merit, but they are presented in a very juvenile way.
Kimberly Devault
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Quick and impacting. Easy theories to implement with teams.
Michael Bell
A short inspirational read. Nuff said. The Way of the Beaver is to Be in Control of Achieving the Goal.
Adler
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: managers, team leads
Great principles, however short on ways to apply them.
The foundation is nicely set with a 2 person story about where the principles come from but the application of these 3 principles would benefit from examples of their application in different set-ups.

- It worked on this fictional story, so what? What does it tell me that they might work on my own business or context? Why should I try it? there is no evidence or variation about different situations where this worked.

- The naming is "cute" whic
Soumya Sreehari
This is the story of two business leaders who transform the performance of a factory plant on the verge of closing. A new general manager is transferred to a small town to turn around the plant that has been under-performing. She learns valuable management lessons from one division head whose division is the exception in the plant. Together, they apply these lessons to the rest of the plant to bring about a transformation, while on a tight deadline. The management lessons are universal and timel ...more
Jason
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
The book has a scene were several beavers work along side each other to rebuild a dam. The book then claims the Way of the Beaver is how each of the beavers do their work with no oversight. None of the beavers correct another beaver, telling him/her there is a better way to do things. Then the book clarifies the Way of the Beaver includes protecting the productive from the rule pushers.

As one of the rule pushers, I wanted to find the error in this philosophy. I believe it lies in competence. As
Jenny Thompson
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was a pleasure to read and short enough to finish in an evening. I left it feeling rather inspired and thinking of ways I could be a more supportive coworker. My only major objection is the ambiguity surrounding whether it is a true story or a parable. If the story is true, that is wonderful, but I would argue Peggy Sinclair's pseudonym should be on the cover alongside the names of Blanchard and Bowles. If Andy Longclaw and Peggy are fictional, there is something pretty off-putting abo ...more
Chris
Gung Ho! my friend is an Outstanding Book. I rate this up there with The Fred Factor, You Don't Need a Title to be a Leader, and Who Moved my Cheese.

This is a great book to help encourage and inspire others and improve productivity and positivity at work.

To summarize the book: 1) The Spirit of the Squirrel
2) The Way of the Beaver
3) The Gift of the Goose

read the book yourself to learn more about each of these and how they can help Gung Ho your organization.

Blanchard and Bowles came up with Star
Charm A
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all those aspiring to be managers or are managers already. This book truly highlights what it means to be a “leader”, to show respect to all your “team members”, to collaborate and give freedom to those you’ve hired to do their job, to do exactly that, but also challenge them to stretch themselves so they can only become better.

If meeting Peggy & Andy may never be, then let it be so that I will one day make the same impact on my next venture.

Gung Ho!
Rikelle
Had to read this for work. I’ve read so many of these types of books and really feel the information in this, while good, is not anything new or revolutionary. Work as a team, have purpose, cheer each other on - are all tropes we’ve been told before and this doesn’t give any new way to apply it in the workforce. I also felt the story told from a manager’s point of view and “Native American wisdom” was a bit trite.
Wes F
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story, based on a "real" business/plant turn-around, that has good insights for businesses and/or organizations. I'm giving this book a 3-1/2 stars in my Reading Log. I was good, peppy, though maybe sometimes just a bit too "perfect" & "peppy." Loved the ideas that highlight why it's good to turn things upside down and to focus more on employees and their buying into a company's vision and reason for existing--which, in turn, often makes for profitability & success. ...more
Jim Welke
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of a series of One Minute Manager books by Ken Blanchard. The "Spirit of the Squirrel" means the work must be worthwhile while The "Way of the Beaver" means the employees must be in control of achieving the goal. The "Gift of the Goose" says employees must cheer on the other employees as they succeed in accomplishing their part of the project. All added together brings a "Gung Ho!" attitude to the job to make employees more effective and improve efficiency to maximize production.
Kristen Spencer
It was a sweet, easy to read story about the importance of defining your values, giving people ownership of their work, and praising others. Some of the interactions between the two main characters would never ever happen in a work setting, and other things seemed somewhat unethical, but the overall premise was a good idea.
Calli
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I hadn't just read Switch, I'd rate this much higher, but that book was life-changing. Gung Ho presents some easy-to-understand concepts for managing organizations. I'll definitely use some of the principles, but the writing style did not work for me. It was a slog to get through, even though it's really short.
Nguyen Thuy
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple but beautiful theory, good book for managing and motivating people. "Anyone who does not respect the common values of the company, they may have to leave the organization. You can not hold back those who do not want to strive for common goals"
Cyndy Walker
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this one on Audible and loved it!!
Short and sweet and well done. A story told to help you understand how and why you should empower your people as a leader so everyone works better together on common goals.
I definitely recommend this for anyone who plans on being a leader in any way.
Kaitlyn Setter
Andrew Slack
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: people-hr
I really enjoyed the fun way Ken and Sheldon told Peggi's story whilst at the same time putting some powerful messages across. It was very well done.

The core messages of:

- Creating meaningful work
- Shared goals and values
- Cheering each other along

enables leaders to think broader than the day-to-day operational aspects and reframe the current work.

Great job, Gung Ho!
Kiran Dellimore
Gung Ho! is a very easy to read book which can be finished in an afternoon. What I liked most about Gung Ho! is the simplicity of its message and the authors' use of easy-to-grasp animal behaviors to illustrate the three core principles that it teaches: Spirit of the Squirrel, The Way of the Beaver, The Gift of the Goose.

I am only able to give Gung Ho! three stars since I found the explanation of the three principles fairly high level and generic. I feel that some of the most challenging aspect
Vinayak Naicker
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-dev
it's a good book with some good framework. However, I doubt if that practically works. I will use this method and see the change.
Brianna
I had to read this for a course on management. It was s simple read thankfully... cute story but would not have read if I didn’t have to.
Connie
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun story to convey some worthwhile lessons.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Principle-Centered Leadership
  • The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness
  • Fish!: A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results
  • First Things First
  • Developing the Leader Within You
  • Who Moved My Cheese For Teens
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World, Part II: The End of the Story
  • The Present: The Secret to Enjoying Your Work and Life, Now!
  • How The Mighty Fall: And Why Some Companies Never Give In
  • In Search Of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • Getting Naked: A Business Fable about Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty
  • Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • The Lost Art of Listening: How Learning to Listen Can Improve Relationships
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

News & Interviews