Start by marking “One False Move (Myron Bolitar, #5)” as Want to Read:
One False Move (Myron Bolitar, #5)

One False Move

(Myron Bolitar #5)

She's smart, beautiful, and she doesn't need a man to look after her. But sports agent Myron Bolitar has come into her life—big time. Now Myron's next move may be his last—

Brenda Slaughter is no damsel in distress. Myron Bolitar is no bodyguard. But Myron has agreed to protect the bright, strong, beautiful basketball star. And he's about to find out if he's man enough to
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about One False Move, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Heather Mooney
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of One False Move (Myron Bolitar, #5)
Matthew
This book is somewhat of dark turn for Coben and Myron Bolitar. For a while I was thinking I might go three stars with this because it felt so different and much rawer than I am used to (rawer sounds weird to me, but according to spell check, “more raw” is not correct!). But, towards the end of the book I started to appreciate the more vulnerable and flawed Bolitar.

I am thinking that some of the changes I saw were because this is book five in the series and maybe Coben felt it was time to
Phrynne
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am steadily working my way through this series and here I am at number 5. Myron remains one of my favourite book characters but Win comes a close second! I loved the banter between them in this book and the way they operate as a team. The ending was very sad and made me want to go straight to number 6 just to find out how our hero copes:)
Julie
One False Move by Harlan Coben is a 1998 publication.

Five books into the Myron Bolitar series, and Coben’s writing really begins to hit a stride!

When Myron is hired to keep an eye on women’s basketball player, Brenda Slaughter, the last thing he ever expected was to find himself dealing with one of the most powerful families in the city, mobsters, and twenty year old secrets.

With Brenda’s freedom, and maybe even her life hanging in the balance, Myron enlists Win to help him find Brenda’s
Suzanne
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Quick thoughts before I write a review after holidays. I love how Myron and Esperanza are best of friends. I love Myron’s honesty. I love Myron’s style of integrity. I love that Win always has his back; and their banter can’t be beaten. I love that Myron is considering all his options regarding Jessica. I love that I am hooked for more.
Brenda
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before Myron Bolitar was introduced to Brenda Slaughter he said he wasn’t a bodyguard, so wouldn’t take on the job of keeping her safe. But once he saw her, he agreed without a lot of hesitation. A very intelligent young woman, Brenda was a basketball star – Myron represented sports stars in his business, MB SportsReps, so it made sense. No one needed to know of his added role with her. As Myron learned about Brenda’s tragic past, he determined there was more to her problems that it seemed – and ...more
Corey
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One False Move is in my opinion, the best Myron Bolitar entry yet!! Myron and Win just get better and funnier! Parts had me laughing out loud with their funny remarks, and other parts just had me deep in surprise and excitement!

I think the Myron Bolitar series just might be my new favorite murder/mystery series. And of course it makes all the difference that it's written by one of my all time favorite mystery writers, Mr. Harlan Coben!
Mark
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2016
I did read this book as a response on several people I do follow and have befriended on the Goodreads site reading installments of this Myron Bolitar character.

So this is the one installment in this series that I found first to read in this series. And to be honest the characters had some great dialogue and some of it was quite funny and intelligent, and other stuff left me somewhat baffled which is the case if you jump into a series somewhere in the middle of that series.

The mystery was
Maureen DeLuca
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another FANTASTIC read by Harlan Coben in the Myron Bolitar series.... If you never read this series- pick up book 1 and keep on reading !
Jim
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than the last. Myron's internal monologue was better. He still cracked wise often, but not as much as last time, so it wasn't annoying. The mystery was quite twisty & mean. I certainly didn't see the reveal coming. There was also a lot going on in Myron's personal life that was interesting. As usual, Win played a great part. He's a bit over the top, but it's part of his charm.

There are a few strings hanging out there that need to be cut at some point. I have 2 more of
Joe Stamber
If you're considering One False Move as your first Harlan Coben novel then don't bother. I would suggest Tell No One as a good choice. If you're considering One False Move as your first Harlan Coben novel featuring Myron Bolitar then don't bother as it's the fifth in the series.

The rest of you must already have read several books in the Myron Bolitar series. What do you want to know? It's Harlan Coben. It's Myron Bolitar. Imagine how you would expect it to be and that's exactly how it is.

Myron
Mahoghani 23
I've yet to finish a book by this author that I didn't enjoy. They're full of satire and witty comebacks, real-life drama, and have a very strong structure. Myron Bolitar spends more time solving mysterious activities than being a sports agent. He's suppose to be wooing clients but he's sleuthing around like he's Sherlock Holmes. This story changes a lot for me; Myron Billion is one easy going guy with a friend that's ruthless and rich and another best friend that used to be a pro-wrestler. ...more
Jeanette
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars- Harlan Coben with Myron has myriads of mirth, quips of humor and far more than usual excelling banter for the genre. He's great at it. And in this one that quality dominants the book, but at the same time with the references to current nuance and tv, media etc. it is also quite dated. Because I read it out of order and this is in an early Myron state of life, I find both he and Win not as layered. They get much more so later in the series. It's a point of insight (that later character ...more
Richard
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
8/10

A solid entry into the Harlan Coben/Myron Bolitar series, without ever truly excelling.

I’ve read quite a lot of Harlan Coben’s work now but the last standalone novel I read, “Hold Tight”, just tipped the scales for me and went into the realms of stupidity and a sense of deja vu to some of his other works. I was less than impressed with that book and decided I needed to leave the author alone for some time.

That was a couple of years ago and I felt it was time to read another of his
LiteraryMarie
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One False Move is the 5th book in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. Sports agent Myron Bolitar is hired to protect Brenda Slaughter, a beautiful basketball star. Her mother disappeared twenty years ago, and now her father is missing too. First the clothes were gone, then the money was gone.

If you're a Bolitar fan, you know that he is more than just a sports agent. And you know he's a sympathetic person who loves to help and save his clients. You should also be familiar with his team:
Kelly ...
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The friendship between Myron and Win is one the best found in any modern mystery series. They are smart, clever, witty, sarcastic, funny. They are very real with one another, and loyal to one another. The banter is hilarious. And I like them together better in each consecutive book. Plus, in the last couple books Coben has deepened the connection between Myron and Espiranza, giving Myron another facet.

This entry in the series showed us more of Myron's flaws and I like that too. It made him more
Paul Lyons
David
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With One False Move, Harlan Coben crafts yet another fine Myron Bolitar with a wonderful mystery full of nifty twists and turns. Okay, along the way, we already know how one small part of the mystery is going to play out-- still-- Coben manages to keep it fresh and moving forward with his cast of characters.

Myron's wit is probably the best part of these novels. He always has something funny to say in the face of danger-- and sometimes even asks himself, as a person would do, "Why did I say
Elena
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of my memorabilia from this session. I liked one of the character's argumentation toward honest animal killing/eating vs. mind-absent non killing (and maybe killing of insects/small animals when plowing... ). Also agreed with the notion that all addicts simply have addictive personalities and the best way to "cure" them is to substitute the harmful habit with the good/less harmful one.
Nancy Ellis
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Coben at his best! He just keeps getting better and better. His clever lines and snide remarks kept me laughing through most of the book, but when it was time to get serious, he practically had me in tears. What a talented author! I love Myron and his buddies!
Rating 3,5

I'm a little torn with this one, because on the one hand, the first half had me laughing every other page or so and the action is non-stop continous. And lots of Win. The capital letter there is important.

But on the other, there was so much family drama coming from both left and right, that it was hard to keep track, along with some inconsistent puzzle piece I couldn't fit into the story. And I never really got which bad guy beloned to which evil mastermind. Myron got a little too
Gary
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the one, the first step that could lead to glory. A Mickey Spillane anger drives the punches through.
Shawn
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy the Bolitar series. Coben has created an interesting set of characters. They are not all original or novel for the genre, but the admixture is unique and works well.

This installment was very good. The set up and mystery were well crafted. And we get some character growth and development with Myron, Win, and Esperanza. The ending was even a bit of surprise.

The only thing that bothered me was how dated it felt. It was only published 1998 but it feels like an alien world. Every time one of
Marjolein
There used to be a time when I gave every Harlan Coben book I read 5 stars. And when I wasn't completely blown away by it, I toned it down to 4 stars. I've become a bit more sceptical and critical over the years (still not sure whether or not that's a good thing, but alas), so I don't give books 5 stars just because I 'liked' them. 5 stars is the best score you can give a book. There's no topping that. So when you give every single book you 'liked' 5 stars, what does that say about your ...more
Margaret
Harlan Coben has developed an array of characters from the women who work for Myron Bolitar to his long-time friend, Windsor Lockwood III that make for quite an interesting team. Myron's family always has a spot in his stories and each time you read about them you feel as though they are old friends. One standard in each of these books is the quick wit of both Myron and Win when facing danger. Myron is a sports agent, Win is an investment bank; together they manage to find wrongdoing, evil men ...more
Amanda McGill
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I found that it was hard to get into the 5th novel of the Myron Bolitar series. There wasn't as much sports talk and not even many sporting events that Myron attends.

In One False Move, Myron basically drops everything, including his work, when he is asked to be a bodyguard to rising women's basketball star, Brenda Slaughter. There is a tangle of lies and secrets that are linked to a murder 20 years ago that Myron needs to solve in order to find Brenda's father and keep Brenda safe.

The ending
Dipanjan
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One False Move is the fifth novel in Mr. Coben's series of the cocky crime solver and sports agent, Myron Bolitar. One False Move features the usual cast of Myron Bolitar, the explosive Windsor Lockwood Home III and the trite Esperanza.

In this instalment, the experience is more tragic than explosive. This story is all about Myron. He takes on a new client primarily to keep her safe as to ensure her security at all times. As mentioned in the story, this arrangement is not a Kevin Costner-Whitney
L8blmr
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I gave this one five stars, folks. It was a top-notch mystery with lots of angst without sacrificing the humor (and disrespect) Bolitar deals out to the bad guys (and the good guys who act like bad guys). However, matters of the heart end up ruling this story and there are some very poignant moments that show Myron's vulnerability more than any of the series' books so far. I am anxious to get to #6 so I can determine if he is recovering well.
Debbie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Harlan Cohen & Myron Bolitar deserve 5 stars!!

Love, love the series with Big Cindy & Esperenza!! Harlan makes you really see them with his descriptive verse. And his wonderful mystery of who done it, I can never guess until the end!! Awesome Myron Bolitar series!!!
Jean
always am pleased with Harlan Coben's books, good read.
Nat
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third reread.
Do you like standalone book OR a series of a character? 7 18 Feb 06, 2015 04:51PM

• Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • One Good Deed
  • Dark Sacred Night (Harry Bosch, #21; Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Holy Ghost (Virgil Flowers, #11)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Indigo Slam (Elvis Cole, #7)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Last Reminder (Charlie Priest, #4)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Stranger: by Harlan Coben | Summary & Analysis
  • Harlan Coben: Series Reading Order
  • A Man Called Trent: And Riders of the Dawn
  • PEN America Best Debut Short Stories 2019
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first

Myron Bolitar (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar, #1)
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2)
  • Fade Away (Myron Bolitar, #3)
  • Back Spin (Myron Bolitar, #4)
  • The Final Detail (Myron Bolitar, #6)
  • Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar, #7)
  • Promise Me (Myron Bolitar, #8)
  • Long Lost  (Myron Bolitar, #9)
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar, #10)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)
“They’re politicians,’ Win said. ‘They’d lie and evade if you asked them what they had for breakfast.” 2 likes
“The house had the stale smell of a grandparent. When you’re a kid, the smell gives you the creeps; when you’re an adult, you want to bottle it and let it out with a cup of cocoa on a bad day.” 2 likes