Start by marking “British Folk Tales” as Want to Read:
British Folk Tales

British Folk Tales

Published October 29th 1987 by Orchard Books (first published 1985)

Mary Catelli
A miscellaneous collection. Tales of fairies, fairy tales, ghost stories, tales of heroes, legends, jocular tales. . . .

If you are looking for one of those types, you may have to read through them all, because they are organized by themes that sometimes cross them. Some are literary -- we have the nasty old woman variant of "Goldilocks" and the "Jack and the Beanstalk" where the giant had robbed Jack's father. Some are in dialect that can be hard to read.

Many interesting ones.
Coreena McBurnie
I thoroughly enjoyed The Magic Lands. I love reading original folk tales and myths and this book puts 55 interesting British and Irish ones together.

Each tale is short, some less than a page, some several pages long, so this is a perfect book for reading to children or to bring with you while you need to wait somewhere.

As much as I enjoyed the stories, I am a historian at heart, so found myself going to the end to read the “Sources and Notes” section for each tale. Crossley-Holland has obviously
David
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this delightful group of stories about the year 2003, and then reread some in 2014.

These many folk tales in 393 pages are grouped into the following sections:- Fairies, Origins and causes, Kings and heroes, Fabulous beasts, Nursery and jocular, Ghosts, Fables and animal tales, Giants and strong men, Historical, Saints and devils, and finally Enchantment.

This book constitutes a grand survey of this genre! Many to be reread from time to time for the sheer enjoyment of the folk tale printe
David
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leftovers
How anyone can suck the life out of good, well known tales I do not know. But here it is. It is hard to pinpoint exactly what it is that makes this collection fall so short: The writing is not technically bad, and the stories are at least told, but I find myself at the end of a tale thinking, "What?" as if it never actually happened. That's probably the most magical thing that happened while reading this.
Caitlin
Jun 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
I quite liked this collection of stories. Some of them were more interesting than others, and I would have liked an indication at the beginning of the story as to where it was from (but that was given in the contents, so not impossible to find out, just more effort). I also found the introduction to the section by the author/editor(?)quite handy.
Dave
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice cross-section of British folktales - some I already knew, others I'd never heard of. Some in dialect, others not. Not just Great Britain but every isle from the Shetlands to Jersey. Nice collection if you can find it.
Sophie
ok myths/legends book
Barbara Doll
Another of those folk tale type books I keep handy to read a few stories when I need a little bit of light reading.
Dean Mörris
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Arab Folktales
  • Yiddish Folktales
  • French Folktales
  • Northern Tales: Stories from the Native Peoples of the Arctic and Sub-Arctic Regions
  • British Folk Tales and Legends: A Sampler
  • The Virago Book of Fairy Tales
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies
  • The Victorian Fairy Tale Book
  • Folktales from India
Kevin Crossley-Holland is a well-known poet and prize-winning author for children. His books include Waterslain Angels, a detective story set in north Norfolk in 1955, and Moored Man: A Cycle of North Norfolk Poems; Gatty's Tale, a medieval pilgrimage novel; and the Arthur trilogy (The Seeing Stone, At the Crossing-Places and King of the Middle March), which combines historical fiction with the re ...more