Start by marking “Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)” as Want to Read:
Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)

Pale Demon

(The Hollows #9)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  45,082 ratings  ·  1,878 reviews
Condemned and shunned for black magic, Rachel Morgan has three days to get to the annual witches’ conference and clear her name, or be trapped in the demonic ever-after . . . forever after.

But a witch, an elf, a living vampire, and a pixy in one car going across the country? Talk about a recipe for certain disaster, even without being the targets for assassination.

For afte
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 439 pages
Published February 22nd 2011 by Harper Voyager (first published January 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pale Demon, please sign up.
Petr Ježek Hell Yes!! Trust me, you would be very confused otherwise.

·  45,082 ratings  ·  1,878 reviews

Start your review of Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So I'm pretty sure that I've said this several times already, but just in case you missed it---Pale Demon is my FAVORITE book in this series.

Things have been building, and Rachel's life has been getting more complicated, but by the end of the last book, it looks like she's finally going to catch a break.

Oliver, the new head of the coven of moral and ethical standards, has verbally agreed to remove Rachel's shunning at the upcoming Witch Convention, as long as she shows up
Lazaros
As only Jenks would say: "Sweet mother of Tink." That book is the epitome of superawesomesaucy. The last book had left me somewhat disappointed but this one totally revived all the trill and excitement most of the other books had managed to instill in me.

This was unlike any other book. The entire vibe it gave off. The rich plot. Ugh, absolutely amazing. In case you didn't know, in this one they go on a road trip, Jenks, Ivy, Rachel and and and and Trent. Man, I love Trent, he's incredible and a
Marissa
Come on Rachel/Trent Lovin'! *fingersXtoesXcrossed*

So now that I have read the book I will say I am super excited about any future books to come. This was one of the best books in the series by far. The beginning car trip was a bit of a snore but quickly progressed in to an action packed, emotionally charged story rife with reveals that were (hopefully) meant to stir up the future of this series!
So many things happened that could change the direction of almost all the characters...its m
is mee... kissa
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
wow. oh wow.
i finished it. And it Blew. My. Mind!
Harrison's been saying that this is her favourite one so far and I so get why.

Pale Demon pretty much starts out with a road trip. At this point, there's not much going on, but it quickly turns into action-packed fun. The trip goes on for about half of the book. Who knew a long drive could be so fun? definitely not me. They get attacked and find a day walking demon. A day walking demon. You don't think it's enough? Fine! There's heaaaaaaaps more.
VampireNovelFan
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hollows and Rachel Morgan Fans
Well, I’ve Got a New Favorite! Harrison’s better than ever!

About two years ago, Ms. Harrison teased her blog followers about an upcoming book involving Rachel, Trent, and Jenks on a road trip out west. Fast forward to now, as Book 9 has finally been released. If you follow Ms. Harrison, you know that she touts this particular book as her favorite of the series. As a fan since 2005, I can say it's without a doubt my new favorite as well. It took six books, but Book 3 has finally been overtake
Belinda Boring
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I let out an almighty squeal of excitement when I got my hands on this book. I have been hopelessly addicted to this series from page one of Dead Witch Walking. There’s always the worry in the back of readers minds that the more books there are in a series, the harder the author has to work for it to still pack a powerful punch. Pale Demon is book nine in the series and BY FAR is THE MOST incredible of them all. Please excuse the GUSHFEST you are about to witness. I’d suggest maybe sitting back ...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I'm going to preface this review by saying that if I hadn't read interviews and blog posts about this and future books then I would've awarded more stars. Perhaps I'll calm down later and see the light but for now, I'm a bull pawing the sand with my head lowered snorting in anger and frustration despite the fact that I quite enjoyed this book. It's where we go from now that troubles me.

The first half was slow with only a couple of blood-pumping action scenes. The road trip itself, although givin
Mrs. Badass
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feb-2011, kindle
Quick review:
Grade: B

Rachel finally grows up. Her and Trent finally have a "moment". I actually like Al. The demon world is pretty darn cool, so was Dali's restaurant and making a new selection for the Juke Box. Newt made me laugh, Ivy finally realizes her and Rachel are a No Go. Jenks gets put out to STUD, BIS is the most awesome little gargoyle EVER {I want a gargoyle!} The coven sucks, I don't really care about Pierce, and where he might be right now at the end of Pale Demon. Speaking of the
ȷαεlα
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
*Spoilers ahead*
description
Wow, what a ride! Exceptional! The best of the series...

I don't remember when I last cried so much over a book. There were so many heart-breaking moments and so many goodbyes...and so many kisses!!

I think the whole Rachel-Ivy drama can be described in Rachel's saying: "That's what I love about her. If she bends, I walk away. If I bend, she gets nothing but a shell."

Ivy was the first person Rachel let go. Just when I had started to like her...but anyway, life goes on.

AND the
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Forrest
Oct 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
SPOILER ALERT: Before I dive into my review, please be advised that this review is going to be almost all spoilers. If you have not read the book, it might be a good idea to stop here.

Alright, then. So, this book. I think it's fair to note that I got Kim Harrison's entire Hollows series in soft-copy on my Nook, so I basically read the entire series (up to the latest book) back to back to back.

I wish I hadn't. Because doing so, really brought how terrible this book was into sharp focus. Most re
Steven
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow. What a book. Up, down, left, right, inside out. I feel pulled in a million different directions, beat up, put back together, and ripped apart again.

Poor Rachel. She goes through more and more hell!!!
Megan
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In defense of Rachel Morgan/The Hollows:

Why write a decent review for Pale Demon? By book nine of Kim Harrison’s The Hollows series critics have left if far behind, while fans will appreciate the solid story which delivers a lot of action, and even a little character development from Rachel. What can I say? Despite her flaws, Rachel is my favorite UF heroine. I also love the supporting characters ~ vampire Ivy, pixie Jenks, demon Al and so many others. Kim Harrison has created an amazing and com
Natasha
Jun 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Best installment yet!

"Pale Demon"
is the ninth installment in the Hollows series by the amazing, Kim Harrison.
If your a fan of The Hollows series already, then this was a must read for you. If your like me, then you were begging for this installment since you finished "BMS" and ofcourse after reading this I can happily say, it's my favorite of the series. Yes, there were more emotionally written intstallments in this series, but this was just too good to be true. Only bad thing is, the next one
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
RTC!
Katyana
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!

This is a complicated book to review. Not because it wasn't well-done - I think it was an extremely well-written book, and will rank way up there as my favorite in the series.

No, this is complicated because my feelings regarding the character arcs are complicated.

Let's start with Rachel.

I was thrilled - THRILLLED - to see her develop a spine in this book. Let me clarify what I mean. Rachel is a good guy. She has helped bad people on more than one occasion, simply because she feels firmly th
Melliane
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Ah there it is, I can not stop myself from reading the whole series and I finally ordered all the remaining volumes which will allow me to read them the ones after the others. By cons it is true that I am very anxious to see the end coming as it means that I’ll have to leave Rachel behind soon. Yes I know I still have a few volumes, but it will arrive anyway.

The conclusion of my reading? I loved this volume! It was just awesome and I had a great time with the
Shelly Strange
When I started these books, I liked them, but I didn't love them. Then, I think it was A Fistful of Charms and For a Few Demons More that I really started to enjoy the series and felt fully committed. Then, for a couple books, I felt they were okay, but just okay. Not a fan of the banshee book, White Witch, Black Curse, but then I read Black Magic Sanction and I LOVED it, LOVED it! But THEN, I just finished Pale Demon and Kim Harrison has now been solidified as genius in my book.

This may be one
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Whew! I'm so excited about this book, there are no words to express it! It is my new favorite in the series!!!!! I did struggle just a bit with the last book, and this one took all the loose ends and made sense of everything!

It was action packed, so much happened, so much changed, and then changed again, and again! We got to see a new side to some of our favorite characters, were able to really understand others.

It also has plenty of romance, considering Rachel's love life is such a complicated
Deea (Andreea)
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, uf, epic-reads
*Re-read July 2015*

Just as spectacular as the first time - and second time, or however many times - I read it! Or maybe even more so, now that I could just sit back and read at a slower pace, enjoying the ride and reading through the lines, looking for the hidden clues and subtle messages. And being closer to the end of the series now, I could see certain things in a different light and what a game changer this book was for the entire story. Like I said in my initial review, I loved how all my f
Jane Stewart
Feb 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I was bored. I wanted it to be over.

This is book 9. I feel like the author has nothing left to write about. It’s lots of conversation about very little. When bad guys appear, Rachel solves the problem by pulling on a ley line and using magic.

My biggest problem is I don’t like Rachel. She doesn’t show humility. She acts like a bratty snotty teenager. Most of the time she argues, gets angry, and threatens. There is a lot of “You did this? Well I’m going to do that to you.”

Trent enthrals two assass
Duchess Nicole
MY FIRST FIVE STAR RATING FOR THE HOLLOWS SERIES...
WHAT AN AWESOME BOOK!!!!!!!!!

Now, I've never really disliked any of this series, or I'd never have continued reading. But I've never been truly gaga over it like some either. Until this book. What a multifaceted, much anticipated story that takes place in Pale Demon!!

Rachel is on her way across the country to attend her brother's wedding. But her fellow road trippers not only include Jenks and Ivy (always trouble with those three) but also.....T
Kira
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best book in the series so far! Rachel has to get to the west coast for the witch counsel to decide her fate. Trent has a mysterious mission he has to head out west for, so road trip time! I’ve gotta admit it got off to a rocky start. Trent was being a complete and utter asshat, and Rachel was whiny and irritating. Then it got wicked good once the demons got involved.

Al was awesome! He was my favorite character in the book. Spending some time with him in the ever after made some of hi
Anita Reads
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
[4.5 stars] I wasn't sure what to rate this, but I loved being back in this series. Some things happened I didn't know I wanted it until it happened.
Kathy Davie
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ninth in the paranormal/urban fantasy series, The Hollows, starring Rachel Morgan, Pale Demon follows along with the general theme of titles twisted along Clint Eastwood movies, although it doesn't have the same kick as the earlier books.

In 2011, Pale Demon was nominated for the Goodreads Choice Award for Best Paranormal Fantasy.

My Take
Harrison's got us twisting in the wind with all the coils and snaking loops interspersed throughout Pale Demon. Rachel does make a huge impression on the witches
carol.
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars, rounding up to 4.

I'd been losing interest in the Rachel Morgan series for a while because she was too static a character. Her emotional reactions in book #8 were virtually identical to book#1 (self-doubt, compensating rush to intimacy, fear and pulling-away, self-berating, failed attempt to regain intimacy), and I just think it's time for her to grow up. Frequently had a bipolar reaction during confrontations, and that's still present here: pretending to be disinterested/
Kathryn
Pale Demon is book 9 in The Hollows series by Kim Harrison and all I can say is, if you have come this far, why stop now. Harrison has said that the series will roughly end with books 12-13, so though this book wrapped up some major storylines, I think a wonderful setup has happened and this is going to upset many readers. Not that I want to discourage anyone form reading this, but Rachel hooking up with a particular character has probably been at the top of many devoted reader lists. But not at ...more
Jen Davis
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I might as well just say it. I loved this book. Loved. Loved. Loved this book. I read somewhere that this has been Kim Harrison's favorite book in the Hollows series so far and I can see why. I left feeling exhilarated --like absolutely anything could happen next. That is no small feat for the 9th book in a series; it would be so easy to let things to get stale.

Where do I begin? Well, begrudgingly, I can say I wasn't in love with the beginning of the book. As advertised, Rachel is taking a road
Susana

A strong instalment to the series: Rachel "only" has a reasonable amount of tstl moments in it. Understandable, due to what she goes through in this..."episode" _ a lot, as usual .

This is the most chaotic series that I've ever read: There's a witch, that may turn out to be an actual demon..but she doesn't want to be a demon.
She wants what she's had her entire life...if only people would leave her alone!

But now in her life there's a living vampire, a family of noisy pixies _ with the occas
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
5++++++++ Stars to the Ever After and Beyond!
Im not going to write a regular review for this book because there are already so many fantastic ones to read. But I will say, this is my third time reading this book and it gets me every time! I completely and absolutely LOVE this series but this book is the best of the bunch in my opinion. Kim Harrison writes her heart out in The Hollows Series but Pale Demon captured her soul and she was gracious enough to share it with the world! If you haven't re
Hollows Read-alon...: Pixie culture shock 8 41 Apr 30, 2020 06:38PM
Hollows Read-alon...: So you want to go on an Elf quest? 1 25 Apr 09, 2020 08:25PM
Vampires, Weres a...: Pale Demon 18 21 May 26, 2018 07:55AM
Urban Fantasy ser...: November SRA: PALE DEMON by Kim Harrison 1 6 Nov 07, 2016 08:57AM
What species from the Hollows series would you want to be and why? 17 81 Dec 16, 2014 03:22PM
Favourite character and why? 21 114 Dec 16, 2014 03:21PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Pale Demon by Kim Harrison 1 1 Feb 03, 2014 06:14PM

• Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)
  • Up from the Grave (Night Huntress, #7)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Sucker Punch (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #27)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
  • Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
Kim Harrison is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, but she has written more than urban fantasy and has published over two-dozen books spanning the gamut from young adult, thriller, several anthologies, and has scripted two original graphic novels. She has also published traditional fantasy under the name Dawn Cook. Kim is currently working on a new Hollo ...more

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Ever After (The Hollows, #11)

News & Interviews

“Growing up is hard, love. Otherwise everyone would do it.” 286 likes
“Face it, you stupid little cookie maker,” Jenks said, almost sounding fond, “in the last couple of days you’ve seen what it’s like to be in a family, with all the touchy tempers and irritation that goes on. Now you get to see the other side, where we do stupid stuff for each other just because we like you. Rache is the little sister. Ivy’s the big sister. I’m the uncle from out of state, and you’re the rich nephew no one likes but we put up with you anyway because we feel sorry for you. Just let me help, huh? It won’t kill you.” 178 likes