Start by marking “Fourteen Days Later (Helen Grey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fourteen Days Later (Helen Grey, #1)

Fourteen Days Later (Helen Grey #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  599 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Fourteen Days Later was short listed for the Harry Bowling Prize 2008 and received a Highly Commended by the Yeovil Literary Prize 2009. It is a romantic comedy with a unique infusion of British and Turkish Cypriot culture. Written in a similar style to Marian Keyes, it is My Big Fat Greek Wedding meets Bridget Jones.

When accident-prone Helen Grey finds a thong stuffed int
Published March 1st 2010 by Sibel Hodge (first published December 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fourteen Days Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourteen Days Later

Tracy T.
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a really funny fantastic book! Loved it. (audible whispersync review)

Oh my, this book was so much fun to listen to. I absolutely loved it. Oh Helen Gray is a riot. Love all her antics and mishaps she gets herself into. The challenges were hysterical. She was an absolute delight to get to know. And I really loved Kalem too. He was so easy going and was always there it seemed.

This is sort of a romance story, but seemed more of her getting out of her funk of getting dumped, albeit by a loser.
Literary  Chanteuse
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I can always rely on this author for a humorous and enjoyable book. I love the British wit and all around fun characters that you can't help but laugh at and with throughout the story. And of course where would we be with out a little love thrown in.
Kristi, A Book Fanatic
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, chick-lit
Sibel Hodge outdid herself with this delightful tale. Helen, the star of our story, is on a fourteen day challenge to take her life back. The antics that she gets into during this challenge had me laughing out loud!! Helen is a mix of Becky from the Shopaholic books, Bridget Jones, and Stephanie Plum. I cannot wait to buy more books from this author!! Any reader that loves comedy and chick-lit needs to read this immediately!!!!
Heather Trim
Feb 23, 2011 rated it liked it
The book’s funny tone pulled me right into the story. The main character telling the story is quite hilarious and down-to-earth. I didn’t realize when I bought this book that it was in modern day Brittan which explains all the different expletives and odd words for everyday things. Their different vernacular made it a little hard to read.
I liked the main character. She was real, heartfelt, genuine, a basket-case, clumsy, and a total mess. This challenge was definitely something she needed. I won
Sally906
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
FOURTEEN DAYS LATER is the debut novel from author Sibel Hodge and is very funny as Helen lurches from one mishap to the next as she carries out her challenges. I had several laugh out loud moments and a whole lot of smiling. The scenes that spring to mind and raise a chuckle even now are the art class and her gay friend’s reaction to the very well-endowed naked male model, the spa when the women all ganged up on the knickers thief, the hens night when the previously mentioned male model turned ...more
Mary Lou Hoffman
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Merhaba Canims (hello, darlings!)

Helen Grey, wedding photographer extraordinaire, is an absolute klutz, and that's only the beginning of the trouble brewing around her. Ayshe and Kalem are her best friends since childhood.

After six months of moping about her two-timing ex, her friend Ayshe encourages her to take up fourteen days of challenges.

The first one seemed tame enough – she was to do a day of volunteering at the local dog shelter, taking a dog for a walk. Helen manages to get a neighbor
Kristin  Aragon
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it

If you ever need a really good laugh...sit down and read this book. Helen reminds me so much of myself, I couldn't help but laugh. I am obscenely uncoordinated...ask anyone who knows me, I fall all the dang time. Ugh. I made the mistake of reading this book late at night and nearly killed myself trying not to laugh and wake everyone up. Helen was just my kind of lady.

The book was fun, light-hearted, and inspiring. We find Helen approximately six months after she has rid her life of the cheating
Jel
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Romantic Comedy flicks, and when I won an eBook copy of this story, I knew I would be hooked to it. And within the day I finished reading all the pages. From the first few pages of Helen's misery until her happily ever after, I had no dull moments. The whole book was filled with laughter and some romantic feelings which of course were just very light.

One of the reasons why I was drawn to this story was because I know how Helen felt when her cheater boyfriend left her. I see a
Ceri
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
My daughter said I must read this book as it’s the funniest thing she’s read in ages. One look at the cover and I thought said daughter had gone doolally as it looks like this book is a deep, dark horror story but it couldn’t be more different. A pure chick lit is what this book is all about.

It’s got the typical, stereotype characters, Helen, the single, ditzy, thirty something girl with curly hair (why do all heroines have curly hair)? Kalem, the dark brooding type. Ayshe, the best friend thats
Christine
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
I have spent all weekend cotemplating how to rate this book. Originally I was going to give it 4/5 stars. But after finishing the book, the characters stayed with me. I kept thinking about them and when this happens then I believe a book is worth 5/5 stars. This is your typical chick lit book. The characters are well developed and the story is totally believeable.

Helen is a girl in her early 30's who has been broken up with her boyfriend of some years. She has been moping around for 6 months or
Linda Sims
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
ROMANTIC COMEDY

Helen Grey has been moping for the past six months since she discovered her long time boyfriend had cheated. But enough is enough her BF Ayshe has decided that Helen needs to move on with her life. So she sets Helen a fourteen day challenge. Each day Helen must complete a task set by Ayshe.
Helen is very accident prone, and where ever she goes there's sure to be a disaster of some sort. The story follows Helen as she takes on a fresh challenge each day, set by her BF Ayshe.

Liked th
Shelly♥
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Helen is mess, or so she thinks. She's still pining over her ex-boyfriend Justin, who was cheating on her. She is uninspired and depressed. Her best friend Ayshe is shortly getting married, but in these weeks before the wedding, she challenges Helen to go outside herself in little ways every day. Helen also seems to have a little bit of a clutzy streak. As she moves along through her challenge hilarious mayhem seems to stalk her at every corner. Several different men come into her life. Who will ...more
Gail
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, comedy
I founds this book highly enjoyable with laugh out loud scenes that had me snickering till the next laugh out loud moment.
This is a sweet romantic (hysterical) comedy.

Helen is a sweet girl with all the best intentions, but mishaps and seemingly bad luck follow her everywhere, including her boyfriends infidelity. Her best friend, Ayshe wants her to move on, and has a perfect way for Helen to make a change. A 14 day challenge. Helen needs to step out of her comfort zone and start a new life. Hele
Kristina
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a hilarious romance! I truly was laughing out loud while reading this one. This author has a really great sense of humor that shows in her writing.

The storyline was entertaining and funny; the characters were unique, colorful, and relatable. I had a hard time putting this one down because I never knew what funny catastrophe or line would come next.

For example: (The main character has just gone to the grocery store for "singles" shopping.)

"It must have had a bit missing somewhere as it m
Tima
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Helen is trying to get over a cheating boyfriend. So her friend, Ayshe comes up with a challenge to get her out of her rut and back into life. She's also hoping her friend can find love again. The challenge is to last for fourteen days and Helen must do whatever Ayshe tells her to do. Add the challenges and Helen's ability to find calamity at every turn and you have a very hilarious book.

This book is a great little chick-lit with romance and lots of comedy. My only complaint would be the main ch
Amanda
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It was a fun, fast read. I adored Kalem and thought the disastrous Helen was hysterical. The banter between the characters was really fun and the relationships were very well defined. I also loved the side stories and characters. You get a lot of information in this book about a lot of different people, but it never felt overwhelming.

There were some grammatical errors and there were a few places where names were given and I didn't recognize them and had to catch up q
kimyunalesca
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book it’s really great and hilarious I love Helen’s character she started to a very low point in her life until she took the fourteen days challenge that she never thought would be possible to makeover her whole situation and indeed a lot had happened that changed her in some ways it’s really funny to read the thoughts that goes inside her head,how she say and write things. I’m really happy that all went well I highly recommend it to everyone especially for couples in t ...more
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
I'm really not sure where to start with this. I thought it was absolutely wonderful! Helen has decided to take up the challenge of trying a new thing every day for two weeks after being let down by her boyfriend. Along the way she learns new things about herself and finds love is sometimes nearer to home than you think.

I found it very very funny. I was laughing out loud in places and my partner was giving me some very odd looks. I so identified with Helen. I loved her clumsy disaster prone natur
Anna
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you really want to laugh out loud and don't care whoever watches and thinks you totally lost it YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK! It is realistic, the heroin is wonderful and a total mess, a VERY real person (I think we all are mostly like her). The narrator gives life to characters with her excellent and unbelievable British accent, you really feel like you live inside the story with all those people around you.
I laughed hysterically, I enjoyed all of it and I loved it.

Rachel Cotterill
This was a super-quick, lighthearted romantic comedy. I haven't read that many books in this genre but I've seen my share of rom-coms, and this was a sweet example with plenty of gentle humour. The main character, accident-prone Helen, takes on a fourteen-day challenge to change her life and (hopefully) get over her ex. Meanwhile, her best friend is getting married and she's the wedding photographer. There's certainly plenty going on, and the pages whizzed by.
Samantha
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Sibel's writing. The story is light and funny. Helen does humorous things throughout the book but the story falls a bit flat. I'm not sure if it is due to the fact that some of the events became outlandish or what? It is pretty obvious who she would end up with but the thing is that I didn't get that romantic vibe from them until the very end...I need to read the next book. I'm interested to know what happens next.
Gina
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was hilarious! Sibel's sarcasm in the book makes for great reading. Helen's antics made me laugh out loud. The ending you can kind of see coming pretty early on but hey that is part of the chick lit genre. The main characters are fully developed and there were so many personalities that mixed in the story that made for some humorouse situations. There really aren't many books that make me laugh out loud but Sibel's books do!
Kathy Heare Watts
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this audiobook on my trip from TN to NC and I enjoyed the story so much. I was laughing out loud and was cackling at the antics of Helen. Can you change your life in 14 days? Well, I think in reality Helen learned so much about herself as a person and other people that are very important in her life. This is the beginning of a series and what a beginning. Thank you Sibel for a humorous story! My trip was so fun listening to this story!
Faith Mortimer
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hello there,

May I recommend a book to you? It's one a read a month or so ago and really enjoyed. Fourteen days later by Sibel Hodge is very, very funny and I can honestly say I haven't read such a fun book for years. The link I've included here will take you to Ms Hodge's page and hopefully my review on Amazon. Judge for yourselves - a splendid hilarious read. http://amzn.to/qhnr7Z
Good reading
Faithx
Jan
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If your in the mood for a light-hearted romantic comedy read, this is it! Sibel does a delightful job of pulling you in and entertaining you to the end of this book with laughs and oops! Nice to see there is a sequel to this story! Helen decides to follow what an article calls the Fourteen Day Challenge to change her life which leads to some delightful antics
Vicki Tyley
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie
A well-meaning friend, a fourteen-day change-your-life-challenge and a dog named Pussy... What could possibly go wrong?

I haven't enjoyed a good rom-com like this for ages. Vivid characterisations with loads of laugh out loud moments made for a fun, witty and most entertaining read.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for some light relief.
Pamela
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
What can I say? I love Sibel Hodge!!! This book is another great, easy, and fun read that got me all wrapped up in the mishaps of the main character, Helen. I have learned one thing - whenever I am feeling the need for a breath of fresh air, a need to smile, and the need for a light-hearted read - I turn to Sibel Hodge.
Jess
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great chick lit book and I loved reading it - my only complaint was that it go on for long enough!

The characters were hilarious, the plot flowed along really well, and it made me laugh-out-loud in several sections! It ended kind of abruptly, although I think there is a sequel so it may just continue on from where it left.
Becca F
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the second book by Sibel I have read and what a lovely little story it was. Meet Helen, an accident prone singleton who is given 14 days of challenges by her best friend with the aim of giving her the confidence to date again. This story is funny and the characters all aimiable. An enjoyable quick chick lit read. I will now read No 2 and hope it's as good. :D
Tamara
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Absolutely loved this book. It had all of the elements I look for in a chick-lit book, characters I love, a story that keeps you wanting more and tons of great humor. It was the best book I have read in a long time and definitely look forward to reading many more books by Sibel Hodge.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Fourteen Days Later - 20th Aug Book 1 1 Sep 03, 2013 05:40AM
  • We Interrupt This Date
  • Between Boyfriends (The Between Boyfriends #1)
  • Alchemy
  • Set the Night on Fire
  • The Meaning of Isolated Objects
  • The Butterfly Key
  • In Need of Therapy
  • Love Hurts
  • For Internal Use Only
  • Secret of the Painted Lady (Danger Cove, #1)
  • Goblin Fruit
  • Now and Forever
  • A Date You Can't Refuse
  • Go Small or Go Home (Toronto Series #2)
  • Parallax
  • Widow's Tale
  • Love Somebody (Consunji Series, #9)
  • Dying to Get Even (Jennifer Marsh Mysteries, #2)

Sibel Hodge is the author of the #1 Bestsellers Look Behind You, Untouchable, and Duplicity. Her books have sold over one million copies and are international bestsellers in the UK, USA, Australia, France, Canada and Germany. She writes in an eclectic mix of genres, and is a passionate human and animal rights advocate.

Her work has been nominated and shortlisted for numerous prizes, including the H
More about Sibel Hodge

Helen Grey (2 books)
  • My Perfect Wedding (Helen Grey, #2)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Unleashed (Ross Siblings #1)
    $3.99 $0.00
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be