Start by marking “The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works (Halcyon Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works (Halcyon Classics)

The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works (Halcyon Classics)

The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Short Stories is a compilation of short stories by Oscar Wilde, along with his only novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray. It was originally published in 1888 under the title Stories: Oscar Wilde. Some of the short stories within include "The Sphinx Without a Secret," "The Model Millionaire," and stories from the previously-published collec ...more
Kindle Edition

To ask other readers questions about The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works

Start your review of The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works (Halcyon Classics)
Sizzleb
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
How have I never read this book until now? Beautifully written, thought-provoking look at the life of a young man who has it all...but pays a great price for it. 4.5 stars because a couple of times Wilde gets bogged down in relaying minute details that add little or nothing to the story itself, but I extremely enjoyed 99% of this book, especially the characters' witty banter. And I appreciate that the author didn't shy away from the only appropriate ending. As Wilde, aka Lord Henry quotes "What ...more
Emily
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This books tells the story of Dorian Grey a handsome and rich young man who at the beginning of the book has his portrait painted by Basil Hallward, a local artist. After meeting Lord Henry and consequently becoming considerably more vain, Dorian pronounces a wish that the portrait would be the one to age while he himself stayed always young and handsome. The rest of the story relates the slow and total corruption of his character through terrible acts. And as he wished it, Dorian Grey finishes ...more
Haarika
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Haarika by: Dinesh Balam
I'm not a great writer. Definitely not worthy of writing a review on Oscar Wilde. His stories are not only entertaining but also flamboyant, intelligent and has underlying theme which makes it memorable.I simply love him.
Feriel Mejri
"Everything's possible for you because you have the only two things worth having: Youth and beauty "
a life lesson for those who thinks that they are superior to other just because they are pretty/handsome....
i loved the book ^^
Luke Burchell
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this one well enough. It seemed kinda pretentious at times. I thought the ending was really nice. The short stories at the end were cute. Decent work
Jen
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A little bit slow in the last 3/4 with all the things Dorian studies, but overall brilliant.
Melissa
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love a book that has reason to give me pause, and this book was exactly that.

Some quotables:

1. There is a fatality about all physical and intellectual distinction...it is better not to be different from one's fellows. The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in the world. They can sit at their ease and gape at the play. If they know nothing of victory, they are at least spared the knowledge of defeat.
2. The commonest thing is delightful if only one hides it.
3. Every portrait that is painte
Karen
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I struggled to get into this at first, but there were some surprising twists and turns which captivated me. This was balanced by the long descriptions and musing which belong to an older world, which I must admit I occasionally skipped over. For example when Dorian develops an interest in art, tapestry etc, I found the detail too much for me.

Throughout the book, the descriptive language is incredible. I loved some of it, more often than not brief examples shouted out to me and I sat back and tho
Debbie
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is not my kind of book. It is the story of the corruption of a young man just to see if it can be done. Definitely a Victorian story it comes off to me as very preachy with the moral redemption of the story coming at the end of a downward spiral. I started it on my own at the beginning of summer break and laid it aside after about half of it. It was required reading for an English class the next semester so I had to finish it. The corruption was complete and the redemption sacrificial.

Dori
Michelle
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm irritated with this book because it strikes too close to home. I despise Lord Henry and particularly his views on women. I also despise his corrupting influence. I can't help seeing his character as a sort of drug dealer with the drug being hedonism. He is no different from any preacher, though, whose adept use of words and their delivery convinces those who listen that he speaks truth. Something that has a hint of truth is a potent weapon for deception.

As for the value of this novel, it obv
Helena Magalhães
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
This was the first book I ever read on my Kindle for Blackberry app. It enabled me to read it during class because it’s super discreet. I think it’s an easy read, with a couple of chapters being a little “heavier” than some others. Still it captivated me and I couldn’t put it down.

It’s the kind of book that discusses life and the many different ways to live it, and gets you thinking about them. And it’s a highly quotable book! I refrained from taking notes from it because I’d probably end up cop
Jenny
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Richard
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Here is the thing about "Picture of Dorian Grey" - Mr. WIlde has written an idea and tried to make it a Novel. There is a bit of suspense in the second half of the book, but the vast majority of the book's 229 pages are two characters - Dorian and Lord Harry - sitting back and discussing the virtues of beauty and art...though I've been there (takes me back to the onsens of Japan), it is tedious listening to others do it. And because one realized that they are, quite definitively wrong, one has n ...more
Paula Mccallum
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
CONTAINS SPOILERS***Such as sad tale of temptation, sin, depravity, hedonism, self-absorption, good vs evil... I absolutely detest the character of Lord Henry, the devil incarnate & puppet master, who thoroughly enjoyed his hypnotic toying with Dorian &, thereby others, throughout the story. So many times I wanted to leap into the pages & shake Dorian while he was going under Harry's spell. But, look what it got poor Basil. Too little, too late. Basil knew of the danger, but he didn't, perhaps c ...more
Wayv
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Wilde's style! His is a unique, yet accessible perspective of a world forgotten, daring and beautiful. I delighted in his plays and essays - years after I read his novel I felt I wanted to hear so much more from him - he felt like a lost friend, almost. Truly remarkable, in person and art, I only wish I knew more people that not only adore him but are also in some small way akin to his persona.
Scott Kirkland
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 19th-century-era
The best attack against this book is that I had not read this when I was younger. Perhaps, if I had a painting, I might have had more time in my youth to reflect upon such works. Now, there is no time, and merely calm reflection upon it. I hope to review this work again, if not actually read it again in my future years to come. A truly appreciable pondering. Do I like it? Was it worth all that? Did it change me? Could it have changed me if I had read it earlier? Am I vain? Am I talked about?
Michelle
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Man, except for the one chapter that was all detailed on different fads Dorian Gray was into, this was a great read! Its different from movies I've seen that have that character in them. And btw, I'm pretty sure Dorian was a blonde. Most pictures show him as a darker creature... but he's to be more boyish.
Concetta Phillipps
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite of Oscar Wilde's, but an excellent story. I recently reread this after listening to the BBC's adaptation on Radio 4.

Scary, passionate, and beautifully descriptive, you go from hating Dorian Gray to just feeling sorry for him as his soul becomes more and more tortured by the acts of murder he feels forced to commit.
Claire Blind Reader
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Oscar Wilde is an amazing writer, his style is just kind of, flamboyant. And by flamboyant, I mean flamingly gay. I don't know if all English guys act male oriented but Mr. Wilde really made it seem that way. Good story about the paranormal but really really weird.
Becky
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
You absolutely must read this book! It is absolutely engrossing; the writing is beautiful, as you might expect. Wilde's exploration of beauty, the soul, morality and society makes you think; isn't that wonderful?
Megan Mcintyre
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book. The ending is outstanding, and a fascinating look and the human nature and how we understand sin, and passion and how a man is destroyed by a book. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that there is that it really drags for a chapter in the middle.
Megara
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, tragedy, fiction
Oscar Wilde... He had a knack for creating real-life novels with fiction artfully weaved into it. The Picture of Dorian Grey was an interesting novel and even though I feel the ending was predictable, the passage to its tragic conclusion was quite satisfactory.
Mayde
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved and hated this book. I always know it's a good book when I can hate one of the characters so powerfully. The teen group I monitor read this. It lead to some great thoughts and conversations about free agency, peer pressure and why we do what we do.
John
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great read. Skipped it's historical relevance, and so was able to enjoy it first hand. After the last chapter found it interesting to find out how it not only led to D. Grey's tragic end, but maybe even to that of O. Wilde, as well...
Vin
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
It has been a while since I read this book. I remember the way it was written was elegant but at some point it was a little too wordy almost like Oscar Wilde just like to hear himself talk
Tina Siegel
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Dorian Grey is a truly creepy, sad story. Nobody commands language like Wilde did - a master.
Yudi
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wayyyyy ahead of its time...Brilliant.
Galaxyparadise
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Best ever. Brilliant. Witty and beautiful. Masterpiece.
Emily L.
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this story. It's so intense, creative, and absolutely imaginitive. A dark, and romantic classic.
Yvonne Eloise
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it
freaky....but worth the read...Oscer Wilde is a genius.

• House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
  • Misery
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Exorcist
  • Kafka on the Shore
  • A Brief History of Time
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
  • The Portrait of Dorian Gray
  • Dracula
  • A Passage to India
  • Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet, and author of numerous short stories, and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being ...more