Start by marking “E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)” as Want to Read:
E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)

E is for Evidence

(Kinsey Millhone #5)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  33,388 ratings  ·  1,027 reviews
Anyone who knows me will tell you that I cherish my unmarried state. I’m female, twice divorced, no kids and no close family ties. I’m perfectly content to do what I do . . .

It was two days after Christmas when Kinsey Millhone received the bank slip showing a credit for five thousand dollars.

The account number was correct but Kinsey hadn’t made the deposit.

Then came the ph
Published (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about E is for Evidence, please sign up.
Jill I accidentally read F before E, but was not too thrown by the mention of things that happened in E. Or the non-mention (What happened with Jonas after…moreI accidentally read F before E, but was not too thrown by the mention of things that happened in E. Or the non-mention (What happened with Jonas after events of D? How did her apartment get... well, spoilers) It can't hurt too much, I suppose. Except I am trying to read them in order, and still early in the series.(less)
Jill Oh, I got confused too. Had to jump back to the beginning and then realized what was going on.

·  33,388 ratings  ·  1,027 reviews

Start your review of E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
E is for Evidence, written in 1988, is the fifth book in the "Kinsey Millhone" mystery series by the hilarious Sue Grafton. It's just before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature is stirring, except for one of Kinsey's two ex-husbands: Daniel Wade. And if that's not enough, she takes on a small investigation involving arson, only to find a mysterious $5K deposit into her bank account that she didn't put there. Something smells a little too much like gas... a
Jilly
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm giving this book a higher score than the last one because Kinsey gets hurt - both physically and emotionally - in this book and I heartily approve. She deserves every bit of the pain and suffering she goes through. Bwuhahaha!!!!

ahem.... yeah, sorry, my darkness is showing... I'm just .. um... joking.. yeah, that's what it is....

*quick subject change*

So, anyway, in this book, Kinsey is all depressey and such because she is alone during the holidays and nobody loves her. The married man that s
Phrynne
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. It was a very easy read - I finished it in one day.

Nothing much happened that does not usually happen in a Kinsey Millhone book. Maybe she does not usually get blown up, not just once but twice. Oh and she doesn't always get visited by her second ex husband. But the rest is the usual Kinsey goodness, lots of falling out with various people, lots of sleuthing ( which is why she falls out with people) and lots of calling in favours from various people including police o
Ed
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every few months, I've been checking out a Sue Grafton alphabet title.
"E" now makes for eleven, according to my Goodreads account, that I've read. This week I saw on Goodreads that Ms.Grafton has V IS FOR...coming out (does anybody know what the "V" stands for? Vengeance? Vendetta?). "E" is a compact, peppy, and scrappy entry in the series. In short, it rocked. Kinsey investigates an insurance fraud and gets sucked into a dysfunctional rich family (as the rich families are often depicted in pri
Brenda
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Private Investigator Kinsey Millhone was working on a routine insurance claim – a fire in a factory a few days before – when she came to the uncomfortable realization that she was being set up. After discovering $5000 had been deposited anonymously into her account, then documents going missing with false, incriminating papers in their place, she knew she needed to find answers quickly.

As her investigation took her into the wealthy but messed up Wood family, owners of the business where the fact
Quenya
For me E is for Evidence is almost forgettable as one of the series but it does provide us with some background on Kinsey. The motive for this book is crazy and exposes some very dark topics as compared to previous books. For the first time, Kinsey is actually working to clear her own name and find a killer.

She is probably more personally involved in this case because of her past relationship with the Wood family and the fact she has been pulled into their family drama. The story takes a toll o
Obsidian
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017, favorites
Wow! Nonstop action in this one and a man from Kinsey's past shows up. Kinsey gets an unexpected $5,000 deposited in her account which leads to her bring fingered as taking kick backs at the insurance company she rents space from as well as does work for at times. Tracking down who is setting her up leads Kinsey involved in a family at each other's throats and her seeing one of her ex husband's.

This was a cool case to follow. Kinsey is working for herself and doing her best to clear her name. S
Christine (KizzieReads)
I love Kinsey! She is so set in her ways, and has a down to earth personality. She is not a flamboyant person, and really does not like to have notice put on her. This one had her facing fraud charges for something she has not clue about what is going on. It happens to deal with a family she used to know when she was a teenager. She really gets into some scrapes in this book, and I had no idea what would eventually happen, although I had some inkling part way through. Still a good read and it ke ...more
Emma
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This one was perfect! I felt sorry for Kinsey in this one and the plot was great. You always hit the ground running with this series of Grafton’s. I am really beginning to like Kinsey. She loves her job and is really good at it. Great read!
Nandakishore Varma
I decided I had enough heavy reading for a time now, so decided to chill-out with a lightweight mystery this weekend.

Sue Grafton writes mysteries in alphabetical order, with her female private investigator Kinsey Millhone as the protagonist. This is the fifth one (obvious from the title!), where Kinsey is framed for collaboration in an insurance fraud. As an investigator for California Fidelity Insurance Company, she is investigating what she thinks is a routine fire claim at the Wood/ Warren Co
Deborah Markus
I learned three things from reading this:

1. You can read these books out of alphabetical order and you'll be fine, other than the crippling guilt and terror you'll sustain if you're as OCD as I am.

2. Kinsey Millhone feels the same way I do about medical "care":

Staying here was out of the question. Hospitals are dangerous. People make mistakes. Wrong blood, wrong medication, wrong surgeries, wrong tests. I was checking out of this place "toot sweet."

3. When it comes to anything outside of an ordi
Mark Baker
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, mystery
A couple of days before Christmas, Kinsey is asked to investigate a fire for the insurance company she sometimes works for. Everything looks routine until she is called in to defend her findings and sees pages that were not part of her original file. Afraid she might find herself accused of insurance fraud, she starts investigating the situation. But is she the target or an innocent bystander?

I truly enjoyed this book since it starts out with a great mystery that doesn’t involved a murder. Of co
Christine PNW
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book in about two hours. I don't think I can quite call it "amazing," as I reserve that rating for books that are a bit less ordinary, and this is, at the end of the day, a pretty ordinary mystery.

But it was a pacey, peppy read with a convoluted plot that sucked me right in and kept me going until the end. The solution relied on a technological world that no longer exists, but it was convincing for its time and entertaining as all get out. My favorite of this series so far!
Una Tiers
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifth book in series drops the plot intensity and contains characters and fallback reveals. A husband from her past is part of a secondary plot.
29/10 - Kinsey is so easy to read. Compared to my last book, which was very well enjoyed and earned the same number of stars, I read it in half the time. E is for Evidence is about insurance fraud, starting with a fire at a commercial building. To begin with there is no murder, not for about half the book, which surprised me as A through D have involved Kinsey investigating a missing person who turns out to be murdered or just a murdered person who needs to be investigated. We do, eventually, ge ...more
Neelam Babul
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book full of mystery and suspense, kept me glued to the book twisting and turning with excitement and anticipation.

I love books where the main character is a tough independent female character who is strong and a problem solver.

Kinsey is accused of insurance fraud and to prove her innocence embarks on a fatal journey to clear her name and eventually hold the person responsible for the crime.
Julie
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E is for Evidence by Sue Grafton is a 2005 publication.

I am obviously very behind in this series, but one of my new year’s resolutions is to catch all the way up with at least one series, and this one gets first choice.

By now, Kinsey is quite well known amongst mystery readers, most of whom agree she paved the way for many more heroines in this genre with her wit, grit, and sassy determination. With the storyline set back in the 1980’s, there is a little nostalgia involved too, plus our favori
Carol Brill
This is my second of Sue Grafton's alphabet series- also read A. I don't usually read popular mysteries.
Recurring POV heroine, PI Kinsey Millhone is a down to earth, likable character.
This is a fun, easy read with enough suspense to keep turning pages. Just the break I needed after binge reading Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, and Sense and Sensibilities in the last couple weeks. Talk about opposite ends of the literary spectrum :)
Wonda
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3...Not loving this series, but not hating it! The main characters personal relationship with a married man...Yeesh! The cases are just so-so! Really just holding out for V is for Vendetta at this point. Hopefully it picks up before then lol!
Elyse
I don't know if it's just me but I feel like there was more swearing in this book than the others! A lot! I was surprised by the amount. This one was also a lot more graphic, violence-wise. Describing a dead body, it was gruesome! But overall, I liked this story. Pretty dark, though. We finally get to meet someone from Kinsey's past whom we've barely heard about. And the subtle foreshadowing about him, spot on, Kinsey! This was a mystery with Kinsey in the middle! ...more
Linda
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice short one that is non stop action. There was one part of this one that has stuck in my head all these years and as I read a few more details came back to me, so I’d have to say this book is more memorable than some of the others in the series.
Debra
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barely squeaking by as a 3 star for me.

Secret identities, ex-husbands, incest, bombs, murder all should make for a good mystery but this seemed flat for me. I read C is for Corpse and enjoyed that one much more than this. In this book, I did learn more about Kinsey's background but had a hard time getting into this book.
Badseedgirl
This book just happened to take place over the Christmas season, so good unintentional planning on my part. I just really like this series of books and the writing style of this author.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Much like J.D. Robb’s In Death books, I’ve come to see this series as a comfort read for me. Whenever I’m reading something rubbish or need a refresher, I always turn to Sue Grafton to get me out of my funk.

E IS FOR EVIDENCE has a little bit of a Christmas theme to it so it was nice to read around this time. I especially liked this one because it’s a little bit different to the other cases that Kinsey has had in the past. This one isn’t as fast-paced but it’s intriguing on a different level
Mmyoung
Sep 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"E: is for Evidence left me feeling "C" is for curious why others so like this series and "I" as in indifferent as to whether Kinsey Millhone ever solves the mystery and clears her name. In fact I felt indifferent as to the fate of any of the characters in the story.
It did leave me wondering whether Grafton wants the reader to realize just how mediocre her detective's skills are. Millhone breaks and enters and she trades information with people who would (and should) lose their jobs for violatin
Darinda
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Kinsey Millhone's has been framed, and must find out who is responsible to clear her name. After Kinsey takes an arson case, a mysterious $5,000 shows up in her bank account. She first believes it to be a simple mistake, but learns someone is trying to set her up.

The 5th book in the Kinsey Millhone alphabet series. I really enjoyed this one. We learn more about Kinsey's past, and get a little more insight into Kinsey. She's still smart and independent, and her skills are put to the test in this
Denise
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great page turner. We meet Kinsey's second ex husband! Suspenseful until the last chapter. ...more
Sheryl Tribble
I like the way she's slowly exploring Kinsey's past. ...more
Susan
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've read every one in the series pretty much in order. I'm usually a fan of stand alone books but I was taken in by the author's writing and unique characters. ...more
Alphabet Murders: E 1 4 May 07, 2017 09:49AM
What books do you re-read 10 34 May 11, 2016 01:37PM
The Women's Myste...: E is for Evidence 1 12 Aug 09, 2013 09:22PM

• Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • One Last Time (Sandy Brown #1)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Fortune and Glory (Stephanie Plum, #27)
  • Paperboy: An Enchanting True Story of a Belfast Paperboy Coming to Terms with the Troubles
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11)
  • Fearless Fourteen (Stephanie Plum, #14)
  • Whisper Her Name (Constance and Charlie, #6)
  • Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, #12)
  • Baron Steele
  • Lean Mean Thirteen (Stephanie Plum, #13)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
Sue Grafton was a #1 New York Times bestselling author. She is best known for her “alphabet series” featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone in the fictional city of Santa Teresa, California. Prior to success with this series, she wrote screenplays for television movies. Her earlier novels include Keziah Dane (1967) and The Lolly-Madonna War (1969), both out of print. In the book Kinsey and ...more

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)