Start by marking “Gewöhnliche Sterbliche (Star Trek: Destiny, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gewöhnliche Sterbliche (Star Trek: Destiny, #2)

Gewöhnliche Sterbliche

(Star Trek: Destiny #2)

Der zweite Teil des Mega-Crossovers DESTINY

Auf der Erde versammelt Föderationspräsidentin Nanietta Bacco Verbündete und Gegenspieler, um eine verzweifelte letzte Verteidigungslinie gegen die drohende Borg-Invasion zu bilden. Im tiefen Raum schließen sich Captain Jean-Luc Picard und Captain Ezri Dax zusammen, um dem Kollektiv den Weg in den Alpha-Quadranten abzuschneiden.

Ei
Published July 2010 by Amigo Grafik (cross cult) (first published November 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Gewöhnliche Sterbliche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gewöhnliche Sterbliche

Start your review of Gewöhnliche Sterbliche (Star Trek: Destiny, #2)
Alejandro
The destiny of the Federation continues!

This is the second novel in a “Star Trek” book trilogy named “Destiny”

TIME TO BE AFRAID

It’s the first time Picard’s called for reinforcements since the Klingon Civil War.

The investigations of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and Captain Ezri Dax come to a common point.

The USS Enterprise-E, under command of Picard, was searching for an explanation of how the Borg were reaching the Federation space without early warnings.

The USS Aventine, under command of
Jerry
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting space opera.
Jamie
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story picks up seamlessly where the previous book leaves off. There's quite a bit of backstory on the Columbia's crew and her captain, Erica Hernandez. Intriguing, but perhaps a bit too much, though details on the organic/synthetic hybrid, highly advanced and reclusive Caeliar alien species are fascinating. Their god like dominance of space, time and matter are jaw dropping, yet their civilization has some very obvious flaws. The story also see Deanna Troi become totally unhinged, emotionall ...more
Dan
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
An OK read 2.5 stars.
C.T. Phipps
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mere Mortals is the second in the Star Trek: Destiny series. It's also my favorite of the three books, nicely ratcheting up the tension while preparing us for the big finale. The Borg have fully invaded the Federation and things are crumbling down our heroes' heads. I admit, part of my joy from this book comes from the glee of seeing Worf fight a Hirogen in a completely unnecessary but quite amusing side-adventure.

Digression: I feel terrible for Worf. Worf is a bit like Wolverine in that he's
Dan
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tng, star-trek
An amazing balance between the huge, apocalyptic big-picture events and the smaller character moments that are at the heart of this novel. As the middle novel in a trilogy, the danger exists that it could feel like it is treading water or acting as "filler," but that is never the case with Mere Mortals. This entire trilogy is tightly plotted, using all of its characters to its advantage to tell a meaningful, heartfelt story. A wonderful middle chapter in this epic Star Trek trilogy by a masterfu ...more
Rosemary
This second volume in the Star Trek: Destiny series was, if anything, more annoying than the first. But I keep reading because I want to see how they're going to survive since the Borg have started channeling their inner Dalek.

And the whole time paradox thing, though done to death, still fascinates. For that I can put up with Deanna Troi and Jean Luc Picard being even more whiny and illogical than usual.
Drew Widney
Nov 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-novels
Done with it. Hated it. Can’t believe I️ spent money on these books. Was sold on the concept that this was about the war with the borg. That is barely a topic as the main plot is this annoying alien race who imprison a handful of crew members and blah blah blah nothing happens. Horrendous. So disappointed
Jeremy Bonnette
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one started out slow, but it definitely did not finish that way! At first, I found the time shifts annoying because they took me out of the story, but they slowly started to blend and paint a clear picture of what was going on. I kept thinking of how fantastic this would be as a movie or, better yet, a high-budget streaming show with multiple episodes. Excellent story. I'm just glad that I can jump right into the next book immediately.

4.6 out of 5 stars
Jonathon Laudinsky
I loved the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy but I gave Mere Mortals 5 stars becasue of the Hirogen boarding party attack on the Enterprise...Worf is awesome.
Lance Schonberg
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
Note: this short review will be attached to all three of the Star Trek: Destiny books, and I’m trying not to think about how long I’ve been putting this off.

Star Trek: Destiny is trilogy set in the expanded universe of post-Nemesis Star Trek. It involves, to varying degrees, the crew of the Enterprise, Titan, Aventine, and the NX-02 Columbia, as well as a few other viewpoints to give you a more wide ranging view of what is essentially a giant conflict.

The conflict? The Borg have decided that the
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is getting better and better.

The Enterprise and the Aventine are in the Azure Nebula trying to find the Borg's staging ground for their recent attacks. They work feverishly to find out which subspace aperture there is the one the Borg use so they can take the fight to the Borg. On Earth, Federation president Nan Bacco organizes a huge armada of ships from many civilizations, including the Klingons, the Romulans, the Ferenghi, the Cardassians, the Talarians, the Gorn and the Breen an
Tanya Turner
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
Review for the whole 'Destiny' trilogy.

I read a lot of Star Trek books and tend to rate them internally, so 5* for what I think is a good Trek novel, doesn’t mean it is necessarily a good novel for anyone who isn't a fan. These three books are 1* Trek novels for a reason entirely related to the story, not the quality of the writing. I like Trek when it deals with a whole range of alien cultures, and does not put humankind at the centre of the universe. These novels are absolutely guilty of putti
Luke Sims-Jenkins
There is a lot to love in the second novel of the Destiny trilogy, but also some padding as well. Just to get this out of the way, the Borg barely appear in this novel. Weird right? The book borders on boring in a couple places as well.

Okay so just about everything involving the Enterprise, Aventine and Titan is great (well except for bloody Deanna Troi and her subplot) and most of the stuff involving Erika Hernandez and whats left of her crew as they're prisoners of the Caliear is good.

There i
Alex
This second book in the series doesn't disappoint. Action-packed to the brim, both with ship to ship battles and hand to hand ones. The final step of the Borg invasion of known space has commenced, with enough Borg cubes to destroy all the inhabited worlds and starbases at the same time. All hope rests on the shoulders of three iconic characters: Picard, Riker and Dax and the Caeliar Hernandez.

As an added bonus we receive glimpses of what Erika Hernandez's life among the Caeliar had been like fo
Jenny T
See my review for Gods of Night. David Mack brings the Star Trek universe to life in amazing ways -- the sheer scope of this book (and its predecessor), effortlessly juggling characters, ships, worlds, and timelines, and the depth of detail (from Klingon insults to Romulan politics, to cameos from old friends who have come a LONG way since I saw them last) is incredible.

Now that the Federation has gathered its allies, Book Three promises a war with the Borg armada and some insight into the origi
Rick
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review - Star Trek Destiny Book 2 by David Mack

This is a fantastic continuation of the series.
This story continues the events from book 1 linking the crew of the Columbia NX-02 with 3 starships from the Next Generation era (Enterprise, Titan and Aventine). I love how these books link all of the eras and series in Star Trek together.
If anyone who is new to Star Trek books wants a recommendation for a good series to read as an introduction, then this is it.
I recommend the Destiny series of
Daniel Kukwa
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Much better than book #1 -- the realpolitik is more devious, the battles are more visceral, and the terrible exile of the Columbia crew on the Caliear ship is brought home with incredible sadness. The middle entry of the Destiny series is a far more emotional, exciting & poignant read than its predecessor...and is a much more satisfying novel as a result.
Liv
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suffers a bit from middle child syndrome, and I’m a bit pissed to see yet another plot that hinges on a mortally dangerous pregnancy, but overall this was an engaging read. Still can’t believe they completely removed B’Elanna from the equation though. It’s like they’re personally out to attack me.
Crystal Bensley
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good continuation of the series- the action scenes were the only bits that dragged a little.
Christopher
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Continuing the events of "Gods of Night," "Mere Mortals" is yet another riveting tale. At once I found myself glued to the book, although I felt like it was a slightly weaker installment than the first.
I'll try not to spoil anything, but Captain Erika Hernandez (who I just learned moments ago was an on-screen character in Star Trek: Enterprise, a show I've watched very little of) is still a captive of the Caeliar. And once again, the feeling of helplessness and despair is very palpable in this
Alicea
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek Destiny #2: Mere Mortals by David Mack continues the trilogy that I began discussing on Monday. We find our crews separated across not only vast distances but also by time itself. Hernandez and 3 members of her crew are stranded with the Caeliar in the 1500s trying to find a suitable planet to inhabit without any hope of returning to their lives back on Earth in their time. Riker and the crew of Titan have reached the homeworld of the Caeliar in the present day and things do not go acc ...more
Mac
Aug 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I said in my review for “Gods of Night,” I’ll write a complete review of the trilogy once I finish the third book.

I am still annoyed that this series is three books instead of a single long book. The stories are not standalone at all, there’s no arc that runs its course in the span of the individual novels. This is like the difference between the way that DS9 handled serialization — with self-contained episodes containing a beginning/middle/end that nevertheless connected to tell a longer sto
Snogged
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mere Mortals is the second book in David Mack's Destiny trilogy and this story definitely hit me right in my fangirl feels.

We get to see the Aventine and the Enterprise join up at Azure Nebula and discover a series of subspace tunnels. Captain Picard and Captain Ezri Dax take turns exploring these tunnels so they can find out where the Borg are coming from. There is also a presidential action to build up a united front against the Borg. Seeing Elim Garak as the Cardassian ambassador brought me
Jonathan Koan
David Mack is just a really good writer. "Mere Mortals" really plays well off of "God's of Night" and, in my opinion, is a much better book. However, it never quite delivered on the huge epicness that I expeted. I'll get to that in my review. But it should be noted that this is a really good book.

The flashbacks with Erica Hernandez of the Columbia and the Caeliar were much more interesting in this book than in the last one, for me. I was really interested in seeing how she progressed 800 years.
Tony Loyer
Sep 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good for a Star Trek book. Legit good for a non-Star Trek book. I had always thought before beginning David Mack's series that books set in this universe were just for nostalgia's sake, for those who were desperate for more adventures with their beloved characters, this series is proving me wrong. I found this story riveting, especially the parts of the book dealing with Hernandez's imprisonment with the Caeliar, really good material. The political machinations of the Federation roping their ...more
Bron
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This carries on directly from the previous novel Gods of Night. It's 'typical' Star Trek in many ways with bouts of action - some quite bloody - interspersed with human interest stories based around the main characters. (There should be a better term than human interest as quite a number of species are involved). Most of the book deals with Erika Hernandez's 600 year exile with the reclusive Caeliar. Trapped in the city of Axion which was thrown back in time in the previous book, they are search ...more
K
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The ideas about imprisonment and what counts as surrender and the value of autonomy are interesting.... but absolutely nothing else is. How many times can 90% of the Federation/Starfleet be atomized? How is it going to be plausible that it recovers like nothing happened in less than a year, for the next crippling, genocidal journey?

I just stopped caring about all the blow-by-blows of the hopeless battles that only TV characters survive. Dialogue only for the last chapter, and if I manage to push
Kai Knetsch
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book got off to an action packed start! What’s nice is that the first book already established all the characters and plots so that this book can get straight to it. I really enjoyed the plot in the past with Erika Hernandez and the Caeliar. I liked the pet analogy for humans to the Caeliar. Some of what the Caeliar do sound like the Borg. Like how they also have a collective voice called the gestalt. And the Change process sounds a lot like assimilation. I thought it would be a cool twist i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Losing the Peace
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #2)
  • Sword of Damocles  (Star Trek: Titan, #4)
  • Before Dishonor
  • Greater Than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #5)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #3)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Star Trek: The Ashes of Tomorrow (Star Trek: Coda #2)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek: Aventine #4)
  • Star Trek: Moments Asunder (Coda Trilogy, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Homecoming (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming #1)
  • The Dark Veil (Star Trek: Picard #2)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #1)
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than 36 novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), games, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or like his Facebook page.

Star Trek: Destiny (3 books)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)