Start by marking “Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)

Ready or Not

(Aggie's Inheritance #1)

Fresh out of college, Aggie Milliken thinks shes prepared for anything life can throw her way. Think again, Aggie!

After the abrupt loss of her sister and brother-in-law, Aggie is stunned to find herself the sole guardian of their eight lively children. If learning basic parenting skills wasnt complicated enough, she must also battle the childrens half-crazed grandmother,
Paperback, First, 348 pages
Published March 27th 2010 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Ready or Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready or Not

Start your review of Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)
Lydia Howe
I started reading this book two years ago. Sadly I didn't really like it. There were way too many characters which made it really confusing for me, plus the storyline wasn't all that interesting. A week or so ago I saw some people commenting about how much they liked the book, so I decided to give it another go. (I had it on my phone kindle, so I just started right where I'd left off.)

The amount of characters was still confusing - in fact since I didn't go back and re-read the beginning of the
Kate Willis
I try to avoid reading very many romance novels in the first place (they either send my head into the clouds with the delighfulness or into the wall with the drama), so its very unusual to find me recommending a series of them. These books by Christian author, Chautona Havig, are the best romance novels Ive ever read; but they are also much more than that.

How in the world do I explain how awesome these books are??!! Well, try this. Take a freshly graduated college student dealing with grief; add
This book was so good! I don't know why it took me so long to read it. This author did an amazing job developing her characters and making them feel so real.

I think my favorite part of the book is how unashamed Aggie was of her beliefs, and how seamlessly they fell into her life. The book wasn't preaching or over the top, but Aggie's high standards were there.

The whole concept of mid-twenties year old, suddenly inheriting her eight nieces and nephews was great. Watching Aggie learning to deal
Angie Thompson
Mmmm-kay. So--my feelings on this book are all over the place! There was some that I liked, some that I loved, and a couple of things that really bugged me. But even with that, I'm finding that I can't say I didn't really enjoy the book. :)

Okay, so the writing style was not my favorite. I don't mind omniscient POVs in general, but this one didn't feel like it was executed all that well, and it really distracted me. Also, the narration was very heavy on telling vs. showing, which added to my
Michelle
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a free book through Book Bub and loved it. I'm going to have to get the rest of the series to find out what happens with Aggie and all the kids. I can't even imagine having 8 kids (2 sets of twins) much less suddenly becoming the guardian of 8 kids at the age of 22. While it is sad in places it is also laugh out loud funny in other places.
Andrea Stoeckel
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have written elsewere that when I look back on the past six months or so, some might think I am overdosing on Chautona's books. The thing is, I'm not. Each series, although tied by area (the fictious Rockland) each character arc is different and each storyline unique. That's what's so great about them :)

20-something Aggie inherits her eight nieces and nephews, a grandmother-in-law, and the wherwithall to be able to care for them. She had just graduated from college and was getting ready to
Esther Filbrun
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the most favorite book Ive been reading lately. Mom finally convinced me to read it after all her ranting, and Ive got to say Ive fallen in love with the story too. Aggie, mother of eight inherited children, is so real in all her struggles of learning to be a motherlet alone learning to deal with her inherited mother-in-law! Even though Ready or Not is a long story, Im enjoying every wordand glad to know there are two more books in the series waiting for me to read them! Oh, and ...more
Kay
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
College grad "inherits" her sister's eight children. She is unprepared and whiny.
Sherry Burney
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I can't wait to start the next one in the series.
Martha
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun, unique story with the culture of homeschooling and large families thrown into the mix. In a unique style, all her own, Ms Havig brings you into what it would be like raising 8 children that were not your own along with dealing with moving and evil grandmothers.
April Spaugh
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
A young woman in her early twenties is left to take care of her 8 nieces and nephews after their parents die.

I felt like the book was a never-ending cycle of the same scenes:

The children misbehave and she deals with it.

Her sister's mother-in-law shows up and makes a scene so she has to call the police.

She chats with her best friend online.

She has an emotional breakdown and other people come to her rescue.

A very heavy Christian theme. She wears skirts all of the time, no pants at all. She
Barbara
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Totally loved this book. It may be due to reading a book when I was in grade school about a family of children who lost their parents and did all they could to stay together and not get pulled apart in foster care. This author just pulls into wishing for the best for this young woman and the responsibility thrust upon her. With the good advice she is given, it seems to me to be a good book for a prospective mother to read. Looking forward to the sequel.
Rea K
Jan 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finishing
Curse you, Amazon, for making this sound a lot better than it really was.
I decided to give this book a whirl because it was available on kindle unlimited and related to enough of the other titles that I'd already read that it came up in the suggestions and it sounded good. I was hoping for a Cheaper by the Dozen rosy glow to things. I was to be heavily disappointed.
It was dreadful.
I should have known things weren't going to get better when I opened to the cast of characters, read it, and
Cindy
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Interview I did with the author of this book:

Welcome to Cindy's Book Reviews (CBR) Chautona, tell us a bit about yourself.

*taps mic*
I am Chautona and I love to write..

Chautona... yeah. The name. Probably should explain that. It is my real name. It is not "Native American" or French and I am not "African American." It is 100%, totally adulterated, Okie. I was named after apartments in Bakersfield California. Yeah. Born in Oklahoma to an Okie father. Doesn't get much more Okie than that. Just
Garth Mailman
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twenty-two-year-old Aggie Milliken has suddenly found herself guardian to her sisters eight children after that sister and husband die as result of a motor vehicle collision. The author provides a cast of characters, the children:

Vannie (Vanora) Stuart: 12 years at the start of the series.
Laird Stuart: 10 years at the start of the series.
Ellie (Elspeth) Stuart: 8 years old at the start series and twin to Tavish.
Tavish Stuart: 8 years old at the start of the series and twin to Ellie.
Kenzie
Kari Trumbo
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book and its ramble-y style. Though I'm not fond of head-hopping and this had a fair amount of it, I still finished and enjoyed the story.

There are quite a few characters in this book and the list at the front was overwhelming, so I skipped it and dove right in. Each character has their own personality and the characterization is good throughout, so I never felt the need to look back at the list.

I didn't love Aggie. While I understand completely how she could be overwhelmed, it took
Angie
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angie
Kindle freebie. Just okay. I like clean books, but this one was so clean it squeaked. It is lovely that these single adults were all very chaste, but there was an unnatural lack of interest, while at the same time a bit of a vague interest triangle (too absent to be called a love triangle) between Aggie and her two male friends/helpers. Lots of things I wanted to like about the book, but so much rubbed me the wrong way, from the weird names to the sudden but deep connections Aggie seemed to make ...more
Peggy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not ready for it to end!!!

Loved Loved Loved this story!!!! Starting with the cover. Loving the simplicity of it, yet it was perfect for what was behind it. All the way to about 100 pages before the end, I started to dread the coming words "The End."

This author has such a way to draw you into the pages, and tells things so well that you can feel it. There are many scenes that make you laugh, some drama, deals with hard topics and tough issues. But it does so, in a Godly manner, and doesn't leave
Alice LaJuett
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

Once again, it becomes so easy to lose yourself in a story. A story of a young woman who inherits her sister's eight children. Her struggles, the children's struggle to find their way in the middle of grief, is at times a heart sending tale! I'm eager for the next in the series to see how it goes.
Pat Christie
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ebook, part of a series

Her sister and brother in law are killed, shes becomes the guardian of eight children at 22. Trying to figure out how to parent, grieve , and fight off a vicious grandmother becomes her life. With Gods help and wonderful friends things start to become better
Julie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

I've enjoyed this book so many times. It's full of humor & human caring. This book doesn't end with an HEA: a match, boyfriend or engagement. It is still a great story with a pleasant ending.
The kids are awesome & full of humor. They also provides lots of prayer by the adults to love the children wisely. A great story.
Rachelle
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Ready or Not... Aggie inherits her sister's 8 children, and is forced to become a mother, caretaker, and maid to care for them all. The writing was distracted and focused just on daily events, nothing exciting ever happened. Funny in places, but overwhelmingly boring. It's a very slow read, and challenging to get into the story.
Jessica Sanderson
Wonderful!

I loved this book so much! It isn't the typical romance that I normally enjoy. It's certainly clean and sweet and evokes emotion. I loved getting to know the characters and I'm anxious to start book 2!
Amy McPherson
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done & different, not cookie cutter

3.5 stars. I would have liked more closure on the relationships, but I guess I have to read the rest of the series. I quite enjoyed this book. My first by this author. Nicely Christian.
Lisa
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My granddaughter and I listened to this audiobook as we were driving to and from teen camp. We were disappointed it ended and the sequel is not on audible :(. Great read, and great book for a preteen. I highly recommend it.
Linda Palmer
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story

A very good story of a 22 year old who inherits her sister and brother in-laws eight children. A big learning curve between caring for just herself and now eight kids. Loved it!
SJ Garrison
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Aggie

What as wonderful story. I had read Past forward and met Aggie, but still a bit of a mystery. Now, I understand so much more of this young inherited Mother. I highly recommend to everyone that loves a clean story full of faith.
Wendy Jones
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a well thought out book with a storyline that tugged at the heartstrings. The characters really pulled me in and I could feel their pain and joy
Jennifer Newell
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and very true to life.

This is a great story about family and the struggles of children. It is only through faith in God that you can face life's trials.
Shannon
Oct 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned-books
abandoned...moved too slowly for me
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #68 - Ready or Not 1 1 Apr 29, 2014 01:45PM

• Belong with Me  (Chapel Cove Romances #7)
  • Small Town Girls Don't Marry Secret Princes  (Beaches of Trumanville #2)
  • Because of Him: A Christian Romance (New Hope Falls, #2)
  • Beside Still Waters (Big Sky #1)
  • The Gentle Patriot (Quinn Family #3)
  • Small Town Girls Don't Marry Their Best Friends (Beaches of Trumanville #3)
  • The Indentured Queen (Crowns & Courtships, #4)
  • The Second Yes: Five Wedding Dress Christian Romances (Crossroads Collection)
  • The Hope We Share (Potter's House 2 #1)
  • Beyond The Deep
  • Loving In His Way (His Tender Mercies #2)
  • In Broken Places
  • Instant Daddy (Noah's Crossing #1)
  • Marry Me (Chapel Cove #6)
  • Reclaiming Hearts (Serenity Landing Second Chances #3)
  • Safe Harbor (Lantern Beach Blackout #2)
  • Glimpsing Hope (Serenity Landing Second Chances #2)
  • Small Town Girls Don't Marry Hollywood Hunks  (The Beaches of Trumanville #1)
**fingers skittle across the keyboard. Stop. Eyelids blink over the top**

Oh, was this bio day? Oops! I forgot. I was lost in my latest manuscript. Umm... bio. Yeah.

Hi! Im Chautona Havig. (for those who care, thats Shuh-TONE-uh HAVE-ig). Yeah. Just work with me here. I should have used a pseudonym, but when you grow up with a name like Chautona, it kind of sticks.

Let us hold fast the confession of

Aggie's Inheritance (4 books)
  • For Keeps (Aggie's Inheritance, #2)
  • Here We Come (Aggie's Inheritance, #3)
  • Ante Up! (Aggie's Inheritance #4)

News & Interviews

“Well, I think her exact words were, ‘Luke, sometimes I don’t wike you vewy much,’ so I just told her that I’d always love her very much.” ~Luke Sullivan” 6 likes