Start by marking “The Mist” as Want to Read:
The Mist

The Mist

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  107,815 ratings  ·  2,438 reviews
It's a hot, lazy day, perfect for a cookout, until you see those strange dark clouds. Suddenly a violent storm sweeps across the lake and ends as abruptly and unexpectedly as it had begun. Then comes the mist...creeping slowly, inexorably into town, where it settles and waits, trapping you in the supermarket with dozens of others, cut off from your families and the world. ...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Signet (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Mist, please sign up.
Joseph Barras I try to use my eyes and brain to read, the opening part is where I use my hands. It's hard work, but I get through it.
Valeria I liked under the dome better. This is King style, the storm of the century, under the dome, the mist all of them have this factor trapping people…moreI liked under the dome better. This is King style, the storm of the century, under the dome, the mist all of them have this factor trapping people from a small town, cutting them down from the world and see what happens. They are extreme survival stories where you read about the best and worst of people. Desperation vs everything else.(less)

·  107,815 ratings  ·  2,438 reviews

Start your review of The Mist
Always Pouting
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David and his son Billy go out to get grocery store to get supplies after a bad storm has hit town. Before leaving David had noticed a thick mist forming, and started to feel an apprehension building. Figuring it was nothing David and Billy went for supplies but end up sequestered inside the grocery store after someone comes in screaming about the things in the mist. The town is near a military base, where rumor has it nuclear testing is being conducted, and everyone in the store becomes unsure ...more
Mario
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, own-read
My 100th read book this year. And also, a damn good one. King surely knows how to write characters you want to strangle, and then feel happy about it.

Even though I really liked the book I need to say one thing. Since I've seen the movie before I read the book, I gotta say that, even though ending of the book was interesting, ending of the movie was done so much better and it literally left me speechless.

But never mind that, I couldn't give this book any less than 5 stars, because I honestly
Paula
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very unusual freak storm hits a small Maine town causing a lot of damage. In its aftermath, many of the townsfolk head to the local grocery store to stock up on supplies and food. While there, a thick enveloping heavy mist like no one has ever seen settles around the store. Soon the people discover that something is out there in the mist. But what exactly could it be?

This was an extremely entertaining horror story. I really enjoyed the vivid cast of characters and the different ways they
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I don't know, I liked the movie more than the book on this one. Although, when I had the book on tape a million years ago it about scared me to death with all of the sound effects! I think I would like to get a narrated version of it again!

It's been a really long time since I saw the movie but I just remember that it freaked me clean out and the book . . . not so much. I'm not sure if it was because the things in the mist were more surreal seeing them than imagining them. I don't know, who
Sandeep
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king, horror
4.5 stars.

Just another example of King's mesmerizing storytelling ability. Got me gripped from page 1 until the final sentence. Although being the size of a novella and originally published as a short story, this book has enough to spooke you with all the creeps and chills.

The way King builds up the atmosphere for this is brilliant. The book wastes no time setting itself up and diving into the story, and also doesnt spend too much time exploring the whys and the whats, it just gets into it all,
Elizabeth Sagan
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I used to fantasize about a zombie apocalypse after watching The Walking Dead. I used to fantasize about winning the Hunger Games after watching the movies/reading the books. I used to fantasize about alien invasions after watching alien movies.
Now Im glad none of that happened because I wouldnt have survived even an hour. Thanks, but no thanks.
Though I cant deny, the novel has a certain appeal. What would I do? So I fantasized again. I imagined myself being there, alone or with certain
Sr3yas
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

One of my friend's Dad used to throw a number of inspirational quotes all around to provide us with insight and direction to life and stuff. One of his favorites was: Don't be afraid to go into the mist, be excited because you don't know where you will end up.

Clearly, he never had a chance to read The Mist.

❝ In the dream I could hear the rending crack and splinter of breaking trees as God stamped the woods into the shape of His footsteps. He was circling the lake, coming toward the
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Mist, Stephen King

The Mist is a horror novel by the American author Stephen King, in which the small town of Bridgton, Maine is suddenly enveloped in an unnatural mist that conceals otherworldly monsters. The morning after a violent thunderstorm, a thick, unnatural mist quickly spreads across the small town of Bridgton, Maine, reducing visibility to near zero and concealing numerous species of bizarre creatures, which viciously attack anyone and anything that dares venture into the open.

Karl
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This slip cased hardcover book is numbered 458 of 500 and is signed by artist Herbert Brandmeier on the title page.

Nebel is the German word for fog. This is the First World Hard cover separate edition of the book, which I purchased at Forbidden Planet book shop, while on a business trip to London, England in 1986.

Shortly after publication, Mr. King had customs officials destroy most copies for copyright infringement. It was first published as the first and longest story of the 1980 horror
Nazanin
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
3.5 Misty Stars

The Mist was my first read by Stephen King. Well I loved the writing. It keeps you read it uninterrupted. Even though the idea of it wasnt new, it was something that I watched on movies, but the writing is in such a a way that I couldnt get enough of it! but I hated its ending! I really didnt expect the author ends it like that! And by that I meant so open!

The story is about a man, named David, that after a hurricane with his son and his neighbor goes to a supermarket and leaves
Trish
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting off this year's October (horror month) with a classic author for when you want to shiver: Stephen King.

I already know the story because I watched the movie adaptation many moons ago so I knew I would like it.
The story is that after a massive storm the titular mist closes in on a community in Maine, but it is no ordinary mist and with it come unspeakable horrors, trapping a number of people in a supermarket.

Stephen King managed to make the supermarket very chilly and claustrophic, giving
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I saw the movie; I hated the movie. Just now getting to the novella, I'm relieved that it's better and isn't cursed with the horrible celluloid ending.

One of the best perks is I didn't have to listen to as much detaield spiel from that religious woman, who goes down as one of the most annoying characters in horror movie history.

The characters are fine - child is cute and convincing, the MC strong enough although he does distract himself with carnal cravings, and there's the fun disbonding groups
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?

The Mist is a novella mainly about survival and it is a terrifying one at that. Because how do one fight off something like the mist and the creatures that came with it?

David and his young son Billy happened to be one of a few survivors holing up in a supermarket with more than 80 other people. For his
Mayke (acozyliving)☕️
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
First October Halloween read of the year! I decided to read this book, because it's shorter than a lot of the other Stephen King books. Having many other reads as well, it seemed like a nice read beside the others.

The movie of this book is one I haven't seen yet, since I don't watch horror movies since I find them too scary. For some reason I do like to read horror books. Stephen King writes so lively, that I feel completely engrossed into his books when I read them. When you can write a book
SR
Sep 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: for-school, sf
Bren
Dreams, after all, are insubstantial things, like mist itself.
Stephen King, The Mist

I read The Mist quite awhile ago and also saw the film. Both of them scared the heck out of me and I cannot say this book is one I enjoyed.

I see alot of love for this book on GR and I can see why. Of all the books by King I have read, this one is up there as one of the most genuinely frightening. (And bizarre).

But the books by King that I have loved the most are eerie without being as in your face as The Mist
Rebecca McNutt
The Mist is so much more than just horror. It's a short story and yet, like its fantastic 2007 feature film, it's probably one of the best studies of how humans act when all the little comforts of everyday life are ripped away from them. To quote Ollie from the book, "as a species we're fundamentally insane. Throw us all into a room together and we start picking sides and dreaming up ways to kill one another." Indeed, the biggest threat to David Drayton and his small group of friends trapped in ...more
Leo .
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book. The film was good too. The ripping of the veil and the monsters flood in. 🐯👍
Bea
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first Stephen King novel I have read so far. And for me, it was a definite 4 stars.

I think his writing and storytelling lives up to what people say and I understand where people are coming from when they say King is the 'King of Horror'. Gripping, emotional and you never know what's about to happen. I bloody loved it! I'm ready to delve more into King's novels as they have now peaked my interest and I hope I discover more great things in his other stories. Away!
Danger
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I feel like reading Stephen King is a rite of passage that I somehow completely missed out on. Which is strange. I operate artistically in bizarro fiction, which itself is on the fringes of horror. There are certainly elements of horror in my books to be sure. And with good reason. I love horror movies, horror shows, haunted houses. I spent a good portion of my childhood reading true story accounts of ghosts and aliens and wendigos and sasquatches. I obsessed over TV shows like In Search Of and ...more
Celeste
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, novella
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

The Mist is another of Kings works that, like Carrie, has become such an integral part of societys collective consciousness regarding fear that its become almost cliche. And, as with Carrie, my visit to the Mist completely altered my perception of a story I thought I knew. In my opinion, it went a long towards explaining why King chooses to end stories the way he does, which Ill get into later. All that being said, The Mist is a quick little
Doreen Petersen
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephen-king
A fascinating and tormenting tale. What caused the mist? What was it made of? Did the 4 people who made it out of the supermarket survive? There are no answers to these questions which might possibly leave an opening for a sequel?
Jenbebookish
I love a good villain. And even more than I love a good villain, I love a good monster. This was deliciously creepy.

Stephen King why did I doubt you for so long?! Why have I lived my whole life denying myself the demented twisted joy of your books?! Thatll teach me to turn my judgmental nose up at authors and books Ive never read. Youd think Id learn my lesson when I ended up loving ACOTAR after spending years scoffing at the prospect of fae YA and Sara J. Maas. Making up for lost time tho, Ive
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
BEWARE.

The creatures....

of....

THE MIST.

Anyway, we all know that this was originally a short story in Skeleton Crew by Stephen King . A story of men fucking with nature/forces beyond their knowledge, and basically causing the world to go to hell in a handbasket. There is blood, gore, death, guts, entrails, and terror. Typical Mr. King fun.

However, the ending of the movie version actually works better for me in this case. If you haven't seen it or read the book do not click on the spoiler link.

(view spoiler)
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Mist is a great monster story. The whole plot mostly takes place inside the supermarket (at least the largest horror one). After a nasty storm a strange mist appears. And the things in it.
People escaped the mist and what is lurking in it and now they either have to wait for it to pass or to do something horrible. It isn't surprising, then, that you get a couple of stereotypical characters (an old crazy doom-sayer, a lawyer who is full of himself, a unassuming good guy and so on). The
Mario
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was fun to listen. If you have already read the book I suggest giving this a try. It's pretty short and pretty fun to listen to on a short ride (like I did).
Julie
My slow and steady quest to read everything Stephen King continues! I finished this in two days & then made the mistake of not writing my review immediately, so this is going to be a little disjointed.

This seems to be one of King's most well-known novellas, and deservedly so: it's tense and claustrophobic, almost Lovecraftian in nature, and plays well into the best sides of horror in that the mist obscures. The most frightening things are the unseen, after all: that childlike fear of the
Obsidian
I read this book as a teenager, as a young adult, and now as a woman in her 30s. This story definitely holds up. I remember the first time I read "The Mist" (in the Skeleton Crew collection) that I was floored by how well King captured how human beings end up turning on each other in a crisis. This whole book is pretty much an adult "Lord of the Flies."

Told in the first person, David Drayton tells how the Mist came to their little corner of the world. After a huge summer thunderstorm leaves them
Veeral

When a writer doesn't explain the origins of his/her story's horror elements, I think of it as a bit of a cop-out.

Here too, things were left unexplained, but it somehow gave a creepier feel to the story. So I will grudgingly admit, when done properly, unexplained horror does work.

But then again, this was written by you-know-who.

(view spoiler)
Tudor Vlad
The reason it gets 3 stars has nothing to do with the story, maybe a bit with the writing which just didnt click for me. Mostly it has to do with the fact that reading this for the first time in 2017 is a bit underwhelming. It just feels too familiar and predictable, mostly because Stephen King has already influenced so much of the horror genre that reading some of his older works today doesnt have the same impact. It is a bit unfair, but I always rate my books by how much I enjoyed reading ...more
Books2Movies Club: * 03/2020 - The Mist 1 8 Mar 16, 2020 01:12PM
Book vs. Movie: The Mist 55 302 Apr 19, 2019 03:30PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Mist by Stephen King - Starting September 11th, 2017 11 24 Sep 13, 2017 11:53AM

• Thinner
  • The Green Mile: The Screenplay
  • Roadwork
  • NOS4A2
  • The Haunting of Hill House
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
Stephen Edwin King was born the second son of Donald and Nellie Ruth Pillsbury King. After his father left them when Stephen was two, he and his older brother, David, were raised by his mother. Parts of his childhood were spent in Fort Wayne, Indiana, where his father's family was at the time, and in Stratford, Connecticut. When Stephen was eleven, his mother brought her children back to Durham, ...more

Articles featuring this book

Hollywood has a long-standing tradition of adapting horror novels into frightening films. From 1930s classics like Dracula and Fr...
“You know what talent is? The curse of expectation. As a kid you have to deal with that, beat it somehow. If you can write, you think God put you on earth to blow Shakespeare away. Or if you can paint, maybe you think--I did--that God put you on earth to blow your father away.” 20 likes
“The horrors of the Inquisition are nothing compared to the fates your mind can imagine for your loved ones.” 14 likes