Start by marking “The Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova, #3)

The Magician's Accomplice (Commander Jana Matinova #3)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
An indigent student has been shot and killed in an upscale hotel in the center of Bratislava. It appears to be a professional assassination, but who would want to kill a starving student? After examining the crime scene, Jana Matinova pays a visit to her lover, a government prosecutor. But when she arrives at his office, she learns that he's been killed by a phone bomb. Ja ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Soho Crime (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Accomplice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magician's Accomplice

Andrew Macrae
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Trust no one” should be Slovakian Police Commander Jana Matinova’s
motto as she finds herself both the hunter and the hunted in a rollercoaster of an adventure that takes her from her home city of Bratislava to The Hague and elsewhere. This is the third novel by Michael Genelin featuring Jana Matinova, and this review coincides with its release in paperback just as a fourth novel, “Requium for a Gypsy” is release in hardcover.

The story begins with the shooting death of a student trying to cadge
Carey Combe
Marva
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Petty good thriller/mystery set in Slovakia and The Hague. Nice to have a different setting to see the sights.

The MC is a good character and the plot reasonably well done. Just didn't blow me away.
Ruth
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Strong woman character as detective, yet vulnerable also. I will look for other books by this same author.
Sara
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myst-thrill
Jana Matinova is the top investigator in Slovakia. She is put on a case of an assassinated student and on the same day, loses her fiance in a horrific murder. She is transferred to The Hague to work in the recently opened Slovak position. The new job soon sends Matinova to several countries trying to find clues to her multiple cases. This is a quick read that is full of action on every page. Even skimming one paragraph will make you miss vital clues and actions.
Susan
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Slovakian police commander Jana Matinova has close to superhero abilities. So in this story, the author gives her a plot that is close to a supercrime. Although she tries to get rid of him, she is accompanied in the investigation by the first victim’s uncle, who happens to be a retired clown magician. Jana is a great heroine and the suspense is nonstop.
Beth
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Beth by: murderblog@yahoo.com

Denis Macek is a student, a student with very little money. With the help of a friend, Denis creates a plan which will allow him one excellent meal in the best hotel in Bratislava.

Friday morning, Denis, dressed in his best clothes, sits in the lobby of the Carleton Savoy hotel. Mr. Fico is a guest at the hotel and Denis knows his room number. Denis also knows that Mr. Fico never eats breakfast in the hotel dining room. On this day, Denis, dressed in his best but somewhat shabby suit, watches unt
Hari Tulsidas
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story set against corruption in Slovakian administration and the Europol weaves through Bratislava, The Hague, Prague and Vienna. Oil field development dealings in Slovakia, dating back to World War II, forms basis of anti-corruption champaign, in which a student and the prosecutor are killed. The case is investigated by Jana Matinova, who is quickly taken off the case and is transfered to Europol in The Hague. She persists with the case to the annoyance of others and escapes elimination att ...more
Diane
I hope Genelin continues writing more novels in the Jana Matinova series. This is the second one I have read and there are only 2 more. His background in Anti-Corruption Investigation and Prosecution is reflected in these stories. Matinova is a police commander in Bratislova. This book takes her to The Hague where she is on temporary assignment to Europol. Later her investigation takes her to Vienna.

Genelin's writing is somewhat uneven. He could do more with character development nad sense of pl
Jim
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
A terrific detective/mystery story! Well conceived and written. It was my first experience with this author and I look forward to reading more of his books.

His heroine is Slovakian police commander Jana Matinova. It starts with a mysterious killing: A professional hit man has gunned down a university student, who sneaked into the dining room of a swanky Bratislava hotel to get free food. Then later the same day, her friend and lover, a prosecutor investigating a corruption case, is killed in an
Scott K
This was the third in the series and sadly for me it was a disappointment. After reading 'Dark Dreams' the 2nd book. I was very eager to read 'The Magician's Accomplice' It started off good at the shooting of the Denis Macek a starving student who schemes a means for a free breakfast at a swank 5 star hotel.

I'm not sure when it actually went in a downward spiral but the whole escapade of Mataivona and the dead student Uncle a retired magician went from a bit corny to total stupid.

There were sue
C.
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Yet another Kindle freebie that apparently gets good reviews because the people who got it for free feel obliged to like it. The writing is stilted and clichéd, and the characters behave stupidly; the main character, supposedly a top police officer where she lives, would most likely be considered incompetent where I come from.

I admit that I did not finish this book because I just couldn't handle the poor prose any longer, plus I found myself not caring even slightly about anybody in the book.
Roseann
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So far, it is keeping my interest...fast bed-time read.

Ok, so I am done. Really enjoyed it. The ending was not expected, but well done. I like the character a lot, reminded me of Stieg Larsson's characters, only less dark and intense.
A good read, for sure.
Would recommend.
Nice to read a book with characters named & from a foreign country for a change, nice to explore other places!
Martina
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Third in Genelin's series featuring Commander Jana Matinova in Bratislava, Slovakia. Sent to The Hague to work with Europol, Jana is drawn into the investigation of the shooting death of a student by the boy's uncle, a retired magician. I love this character, the settings, the tension in the plotting, just everything about this series.
Gretchen
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maybe I liked this book so much because I had absolutely no expectations. It was on my Kindle. I never heard of the protagonist, Jana Matinova, nor of the author. But it was a solid well-written tale of intrigue and corruption. Looking forward to reading more of this series.
Gary Van Cott
This book is very similar to the preceding book in this series. The first book was the most original of the three I have read. The author needs to come up with something more inventive then having the main character chased around Europe by insiders that are trying to kill her.
Mary Kay
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
The protagonist is a female police detective in modern Slovakia, who gets kicked downstairs to what appears to be an ineffectual Interpol division. Lots of intrigue & sleight of hand, not to mention interesting characters
Laurie
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
THIS WAS A SLOW BEGINNING, BUT NOW HAS PICKED UP SPEED AND INTEREST. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT IS KIND OF FLAT BUT THE MYSTERY HAS GOTTEN INTERESTING. IN RETROSPECT, THE PLOT IS A FAIRLY IMPLAUSIBLE. BUT IT KEPT YOUR INTEREST.
CK
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Easy read, interesting locales, etc (Prague, Amsterdam, and Europol)
Alexandrea
May 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
I would like to read others in this series. It was enjoyable.
Deanne
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
Very easy to read crimethriller set in Slovakia and the Hague, fairly fast paced but Jana comes across as a bit cold. Most people would be a wreck but not commander Matinova.
Lucille
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lucille by: book club
difficult to follow, but a good story anyway
John Machata
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Extremely well written. Taut. Believable crime fiction.
Brad T.
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Got about half way through and I just stopped caring.
Cynthia
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
amazon freebie
Barbara Lazar
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
See my review of the first in the series, The Siren in the Waters. Genelin certainly, in my opinion, really improved his craft.
Liz
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I had never read this author. The story was great. The detective is a woman with real world porblems. Well written and a good story!
Nancy
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I seemed to stay continually confused as to the characters and locations. This is not my favorite genre.
Paula
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
International intrigue, choppy writing. Just not my taste.
Rena
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Beach/plane reading for Puerto Rico!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Sullivan's Justice (Carolyn Sullivan, #2)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • Mozart's Blood
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • Primitive
  • The Kiribati Test
  • A Flower Blooms on Charlotte Street
  • The Dangerous Dimension
  • Raising Jake
  • All Tied Up (Pleasure Inn, #1)
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • A Little Death in Dixie (Detective Billy Able, #1)
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Dark Pursuit
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
  • Robin and Ruby
  • A Nail Through the Heart
Michael Genelin, a graduate of UCLA and the UCLA Law School, has served in the LA District Attorney's Office and the US Department of Justice in Central Europe. He has written for film and has been an adviser to television series. He now lives with his wife and daughter in Paris.

Series:
* Commander Jana Matinova
More about Michael Genelin...

Commander Jana Matinova (5 books)
  • Siren of the Waters (Commander Jana Matinova, #1)
  • Dark Dreams (Commander Jana Matinova, #2)
  • Requiem for a Gypsy (Commander Jana Matinova, #4)
  • For the Dignified Dead (Commander Jana Matinova, #5)