Start by marking “Dream Island (Akora, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dream Island (Akora, #1)

Dream Island

(Akora #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  483 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The legendary island nation of Akora has shunned outsiders for centuries, but fate is about to deliver a young Englishwoman into the arms of its prince-and sweep them both into a daring love that knows no boundaries....

DREAM ISLAND

Lady Joanna Hawkforte spent her childhood reading about the wondrous beauty of Akora. But now the country of her dreams has become a symbol of h
Published February 26th 2002 by Bantam (first published February 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dream Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Island

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, series

Even though this is my Random Number Generator month pick, I want to give a shout out to Becca for recommending and being responsible for putting it on my tbr. Thanks!

They stood in the silence that descended, looking at one another. Alex saw a woman of courage and honor who stirred his blood even as she won his admiration. Were he to have no concern beyond his own wishes, he would not hesitate to claim the right to both possess and protect her. For her part, Joanna saw a man who seemed
Lover of Romance
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance My Review Updated
Summary
Lady Joanna Hawkforte, has a family connection to the island of Akora and has always held a fascination with this place of mystery and beauty. But when her brother disappears in search of it and its been almost nine months since he left, she knows that something is dreadfully wrong. So she goes in search of the only man who can help her, Alex Darcourt. Alex is the son of a Akoran princess and a English lord. He is in England for
Christine
Feb 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
It looks like I have the responsibility of being the first person to give this book a real review. I hope I don't let anyone down. :=)

Dream Island is a fun and slightly magical romance, following the adventures of Lady Joanna Hawkforte as she attempts to find her brother, Royce, who went missing while trying to gain access to the island of Akora, an isolated kingdom that discourages foreign visitors. At first, Joanna tries to be diplomatic in her attempts to get help from Alex, a British noblema
Floor Flawless
Ik sta niet te trappelen om de rest van de trilogie te lezen. Waarom niet? Dat lees je binnenkort op www.floorflawless.com
Heather
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Stephanie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love a strong female lead character and this one was exactly that. I liked the story line and all the characters. I like that this author has women in these stories with special gifts. It allows for a neat storyline. I also liked that this book didn’t end with a baby between the main characters who fall in love. Often in romance novels there is a certain formula, while it works it can get boring always having it end the same way. This book definitely had some ingredients that are in a lot of r ...more
Sandy
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine tale

This is a good story,although the writing is a bit stilted. The heroine shows away to the mysterious closed kingdom of Akoros to rescue her brother and becomes the concubine in name of the Prince. This soon turns to concubine in fact and they have various adventures in rescue of her brother. The characters were fine, the adventure was fine, the Romance predictable. It is a fine story but not a great one.
Mary
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good - enjoyed this! Slightly different to the usual historical romance - has a touch of magic thrown in. The characters were likeable, the plot was fun. Silly, but fun. Sex scenes were a bit meh but overall, this was an okay read.
Judith Krain
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too delicious

Josie Litton has done it again, and again, and again. This was a big, sexy, adult fairytale. Josie doesn't disappoint. I can't wait to start another of her books.
Sheridan
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this in college like 10 years ago
Paranormal Romance
Nothing will stop the heroine from finding her brother, certainly not society rules about ladylike decorum and not the mysterious hero. She knows that her brother was last seen on an expedition to the secretive country of Akora before disappearing without a trace. And she knows that her only means of reaching him his the hero. As a half bred, he's been designated an ambassador or sorts for his country and England but in actuality he is a spy. Rumors of English hostility have driven him into the ...more
Tiffany
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in another trilogy by Josie Litton that seems to go by two names. Either “Akora Trilogy” or “Medieval Trilogy”, the last of which is odd because it isn’t medieval, except for maybe they are referring to their time on Akora? If you haven’t first read this author’s Viking & Saxon series, then I would recommend that. They make some mention to the Hawkforte’s, but nothing you would need to have read the books to understand. The main reason that you should read them first i ...more
Isamar
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the first book in the Akora series and my first book from Josie Litton. It's the story of Lady Joanna Hawkforte, in an attempt to find her brother Royce she finds herself in the mysterious Island of Akora. Never has a xenos or outsider as far as she knows has step foot on the island and lived. (I'm not sure I spelled that right.)Lord Alexander Darcourt is an Akoran worrier that has refused Lady Hawkforte to help her find her brother and it is his ship she has stowed away in. Putting both ...more
Lady Raven RAVE!
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
http://www.romancenoveljunkies.com for readers

I don't wanna start off by comparing her other books which I thought were excellent to this one or except every book to be like Dream Of Me...

I first read Dream of Me and I loved it. I have read it over and over. I also read the other two books to that story. Dream of Me was the best by far. I bought this book and thought it was an ok read still very entertaining and I like that she made up a fantasy island that everyone would love to see and visit.
Draven
May 25, 2013 rated it liked it
A surprisingly good read! This was given to me secondhand and I decided to give it a whirl. Despite the extremely bland packaging, this was quite a delightful story, delightful being the operative word. I really enjoyed the story and look forward to reading the rest of the series, however, I can't give it 4 stars because the love scenes were too white-washed, PG 13, for me. After reading romantic masterpiece's by Brenda Joyce and Virginia Henley, Litton's love scenes just weren't up to par.

But t
Tara
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
For its genre, it's well done. I found this book harder and harder to put down! It has just a touch of the super-natural (which really just sort of seemed like a convenience for the author, but it worked ok nonetheless). Sometimes the writing was a little tricky--I had to re-read to understand who was saying what exactly, but mostly it was alright.

The love story between the main characters really swept me away. It's my favourite kind really.
Katie
Jan 30, 2017
Barbara ★
Sep 02, 2009 rated it liked it
I found the beginning of this book boring. Prince Alex was such an arrogant jerk and a male chauvinist pig - women should serve and obey - huh! On the other hand, Joanna was determined to rescue her missing brother. She wouldn't take no for an answer and got herself in some situations which Alex had to get her out of. In my eyes, once Alex fell, he completely redeemed himself.
Tamara
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first of a trilogy. I'm not sure how much I'll love the other two after reading this. However, I do enjoy that while it is set in 19th Century England, it has elements of a Greek setting as well with the Akora storyline. It is an interesting juxtaposition. So I will read the other 2 to see how the entire story concludes. :)
Bonnie
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First time I've read any of Josie Litton books and I really liked this one. I had no idea that it led to another part 2 book though. HA I enjoyed it so much that I had to have Part 2 so I ordered it on Amazon right away (thank you Amazon Prime!!). I love her description of Akora and all it's beauty. What a great place to live.
Amber Plant
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a good book - not great or bad but right in the middle. I enjoyed the island and the characters. Some of the story line was a bit boring and I felt like nothing was really tied up at the end. I realize she wrote a sequel but I would have thought she would have cleaned up some of the items. I haven't decided if I'll continue reading the series or not.
Siyu Lim
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: josie-litton
2nd Generation Story of Josie's books: total of 3 books.
Read back in my Sec Sch days. Loved it a lot! A pity that she did not publish anymore books after the 3rd Generation, where the awaken volcano in Akora erupts.
How I wish to visit Akora, if such place ever exists....
Susan
Aug 06, 2010 marked it as abandoned
At first, I was in the mood for a cheesy romance, full of smoldering stares and chiseled men. It fit the bill, but it just got to be a bit too much partway through. Once a sex scene was described as life changing, I couldn't bother any more. It was just too over-the-top.
Ameen Al-azzawi
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Nice one with a mystery ending...
Shirley J
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm typically not a romance reader so I was surprised to find that I actually wanted to finish this book and plan on reading the next book in the triology.

Danette Steward
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litton-josie
Smile. Good book. HOT. Steamy.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Joy Idoko
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
lovely. just lovely
Deborah
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Entertaining and fast read!
Modesty_b
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked the authors attention to detail and how she subtly linked the hawkfortes to the ones in Vikings series.
  • The Iron Rose (Dante Pirates, #2)
  • The Maiden and the Unicorn
  • Kissed by Shadows (Kiss, #3)
  • Virgin Slave, Barbarian King
  • When We Touch (Graham, #6)
  • Rogues' Reform (Lester Family, #1-3)
  • The Lady Is Tempted
  • Sapphire
  • One Night in Scotland (Hurst Amulet, #1)
  • Silk and Secrets (Silk Trilogy, #2)
  • The Blue Viking (Viking I, #5)
  • Scandalous Again (Switching Places, #1)
  • A Visit From Sir Nicholas (Effingtons, #9)
  • Celtic Fire (Druids of Avalon, #1)
  • No True Gentleman (Rutledge Family, #2)
  • Winterbourne (de Macy, #1)
  • A Little Scandal
Josie Litton is the author of several NY Times and USA Today bestselling romances.

Married and living in Connecticut, she is the parent of two grown children. Becoming an empty nester has left her plenty of time to write, think about writing, plan what to write next, and read. When she isn’t doing that, she’s cooking, gardening, and traveling.

Akora (6 books)
  • Kingdom Of Moonlight (Akora, #2)
  • Castles in the Mist (Akora, #3)
  • Fountain of Dreams (Akora, #4)
  • Fountain of Secrets (Akora, #5)
  • Fountain of Fire (Akora, #6)
“The white muslin, I think,” she said and wondered what to do with her hair.
Thirty minutes later, when she descended the stairs to find Royce waiting for her, she was satisfied her efforts had been worthwhile. Her brother simply stared. They were in the carriage, on the way to the Pavilion, before he said, “Poor Darcourt.”
“What?”
“Darcourt, never stood a chance, flushed like a fox from cover.”
“Alex flushed?
“He’d know what I mean.”
“Well, I most certainly do not. Alex is as far from a flushed fox as it is possible for a man to be.”
“No doubt he thought he was. Knows differently now.”
Royce was grinning, looking rather pleased with himself, when his loving sister said, “You know, brother, a wise man might pause to think about the implications of what you’re suggesting. If an Alex Darcourt can be brought to ground, surely no man may consider himself safe.”
She was rewarded with a look of surprise shading into wariness just as the carriage rolled to a stop before the Pavilion.”
0 likes
“He shrugged off his finely tailored coat and handed it to a footman. Joanna shot a sharp look at several ladies who had the effrontery to sigh while staring at him. They looked like ravenous bitches. As in dogs, of course, never would she even think the impolite meaning of that term. Perhaps there was something to Royce’s fox hunting allusion after all.” 0 likes