Start by marking “On Her Own (Brides of Webster County, #2)” as Want to Read:
On Her Own (Brides of Webster County, #2)

On Her Own (Brides of Webster County #2)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  1,031 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
When Barbara Zook's husband David is killed unexpectedly on their tenth wedding anniversary, she doesn't know how she will be able to go on. Not only has she lost the love of her life, but she is also pregnant with their fourth child. How can Barbara raise four children and run David's beloved harness shop? When Paul Hilty left Webster County, he knew it hurt his father th ...more
Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about On Her Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Her Own

Rachel Brand
This was a fairly average romance, pretty much like Mills & Boon or Harlequin set in an Amish community with a Christian emphasis. I normally really enjoy the Amish genre - especially Amy Clipston and Beverly Lewis - but this is the first of Brunstetter's novels that I've read and I can't say that it's up to the standards I'm used to. This little book was only 170-odd pages long, my first clue that there wasn't much to the story, and had a fairly predictable plot. Due to the shortness of the ...more
Jerry
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More great Amish romance; this series is fun and uplifting.
Katherine Beaver
Another good one...I like reading in the series and how she keeps the same characters. I'd prefer not so much time to pass between the books though.
This one was Barbara (Faith's friend from book 1) 10 years in future, grown up, recently widowed.
Julie
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to learn about Amish love, but not real indepth character development. I might be being generous with my rating.
Lori
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second in brides I’d Webster county series. Nice easy read that lets you visit with some people from first book. Barbara looses her husband on their anniversary and she is left with 3 boys and another child on the way. Journey with Barbara as she raises her boys, runs her husbands buggy shop and faces any new adventure that comes her way, I love how Wanda includes Amish traditions in her stories, she takes time to research facts instead of just making her own up.
Belinda
The second book I have read by Wanda E. Brunstetter, this book was written in a style similar to a romance. Straight forward, simplistic yet likeable characters in an Amish environment. Overall very readable, yet I was hoping for the multi-faceted story line that made the first book I'd read by this author (a different series) so interesting.
Dru
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a while all the Amish books get to be about the same. This is the second in this series and it is very much like the first. This author is OK.
Regina A Fontaine
Heartfelt read

Good fast paced read with all the characters from the first book showing up in this sequel. Get your tissues out, had me crying a few times.
Sammie Mays
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
This is the second book in the Brides of Webster County series. I enjoyed this read as much as book 1 in the series. I was taken with all of the families in this series from the very start. The characters seem so alive and it's easy to place yourself in Webster County with them. Book 2 deals with a widow named Barbara who is raising four sons by herself and with the help of her family after her husband David dies unexpectedly. She loves working in their harness shop but is not physically able to ...more
Janet C
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish-fiction
Barbara Zook lost her husband David. They ran a harness shop together. After giving birth to their son a few months after Davids death, she is too weak and too tired to run the harness shop eventhough she wants to provide for her 4 children.

Paul Hilty, who now lives in Lancaster, PA, returns home for the death of his brother. Paul works in a harness shop in PA. While home, he agrees to help out at Zooks Harness Shop until Barbara is back on her feet.

Will Paul's attraction wake up in him a desir
Gabrielle
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Zook lost her husband David in a buggy accident on their anniversary. She is left with three boys and a new born which she calls David after her husband. A year or so after her husbands death she is still alone and is really not looking for a man in her life. Then one day Paul comes back and he starts falling for the widow. Soon after that Bishop John Frey is looking for a "mother" for his four daughters. Barbara doesn't know what to do or who to choose. I am a sucker for Amish books and ...more
Terri Tinkel
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, family, amish
This is a simply written story about the Amish. It was interesting even though it was easy to figure out what was going to happen. However, there were some pieces of Amish traditions that were interesting. I could picture the characters and enjoyed reading through the story. It's a good book for a few hours of relaxtion. No big traumatic events ~ no heavy sex ~ no swearing.
JeniReadABook
This was a good story, but it didn't grab ahold of me as strongly as the first book in the series did. By the time the main characters finally came around it felt rather anti-climatic. Not a bad book, but I hope the next book in the series will offer characters that draw me in as much as Noah and Faith did in the first book.
Donna
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an autographed copy of this book from Wanda. It is the second in the series, and was a good book. Barbara and Paul had a lot of hurdles to cross when he came to help in her harness shop. Bishop John wasn't any help either a very selfish man to be a bishop. As with all of Wanda's books it was a fast read and very enjoyable, finished it at 2:00am this morning.
Lisa
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara is Amish. Her husband has been killed and she is trying to raise 3 boys and a baby she just had. She is also trying to run her husband's harness shop. Paul comes home for his uncle's funeral and hears about Barbara; he offers to help in the shop until she is back on her feet. Feelings begin even though they are very different from each other. God works to bring these two together.
Smilinhere
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do not read the first page in the book ... unless you want to know the 'story' ... all thought it is pretty predictable kind of romance with a twist. The extra 'love interest' of another man brings an interesting twist.

Helen
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book as are all of Wanda Brunstetters books- Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter first two Amish fiction writers I started reading- have read every book that Wanda Brunstetter has written- and never had one that I didnt absolutely love!!!!! I would defintely give it a 5 star rating!!!
Laurie Mcclure
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Amish books, and the simplicity of their ways.
Susan Cherry
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Lisa Brodsky
A nice quick read, but very predictable.
Shelly Lampereur
I love reading all her books. All I can say is that they are all excellent reads
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love amish stories. Expecially when their not about someone getting pregnant and not married, or always running away form their faith. This was a wholesome and inspiring book.
Rita Mcallister davidson
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Barbara's husband died before she gave birth to their last child. Her Dad was helping in the harness shop. A good read.
Judy Wollenweber
This is a good series
Crosbee
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not quite as good as the first one, but pretty close.
Autumn Golob
Good, short, don't have to think love story with no bad stuff in it!
Michelle
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
A delightfully light read that wound itself quietly around the Amish faith.
Natalie Widener
A very enjoyable read!
Debbie
Mar 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of her books are good clean books about life in an Amish community, and human nature.
  • Wanted (Sisters of the Heart, #2)
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • Rebecca's Choice (Adams County, #3)
  • Anna's Return (Pleasant Valley, #3)
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)
  • The Hope of Refuge
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning author, Wanda E. Brunstetter is one of the founders of the Amish fiction genre. She has written close to 90 books translated in four languages. With over 10 million copies sold, Wanda's stories consistently earn spots on the nations most prestigious bestseller lists and have received numerous awards.

Wanda’s ancestors were part of the Anabaptist faith, a
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter

Brides of Webster County (4 books)
  • Going Home (Brides of Webster County,#1)
  • Dear to Me (Brides of Webster County, #3)
  • Allison's Journey (Brides of Webster County, #4)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
“God gave people tear ducts for a good reason, and folks shouldn't be too stubborn to use them.” 3 likes
“Our faith teaches us that when our time on earth is over, God will call us home no matter what. We just need to accept His will and move on with life.” 0 likes