Start by marking “Works of H. Beam Piper (32 books)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Works of H. Beam Piper

H. Beam Piper

Works of H. Beam Piper (32 books)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  127 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Collected works of classic science fiction author H. Beam Piper with active table of contents.

Works include:
The Mercenaries
Ministry of Disturbance
Murder in the G
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Works of H. Beam Piper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Works of H. Beam Piper

Tagcaver
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved Little Fuzzy. After reading John Scalzi's reboot of the story I wanted to re-read the story, so I purchased this e book edition of a collection of his books. (I used to have the hard copies of the Fuzzy books, but my kids swiped them from me.)

Anyway, I figured that I'd read the rest of the stories in the book. Most were OK, and a few were downright boring.

What made me give this book only 2 stars was the cloud of virtual cigarette smoke that wafted from the e-book every time I opened it.
Peter Venus
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is it dated? Yes! Is it good, definitely, of course there are some areas of uncomfortable reading given the time it was written, but this was a hidden gem for me that I thoroughly enjoyed. It's variety - steam punk to biography - indicates Beam Piper was something really quite special.
Paul Trembling
There's a massive amount of reading in this collection, and it's a tribute to the author's range of imagination and productivity. He covers a lot of ground - The Para-Time police (amongst my favourites) have their adventures in a vast range of alternate Earth's, whist Galactic Emperors decide on the fate of entire planets, and interstellar travellers deal with aliens of all kinds. There is even at least one straightforward, non-SF murder mystery.
Perhaps inevitably, certain common themes start to
Juan CF
Nov 23, 2014
Gmc
Jul 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Henry Beam Piper was an American science fiction author. He wrote many short stories and several novels. He is best known for his extensive Terro-Human Future History series of stories and a shorter series of "Paratime" alternate history tales.
“Every society rests on a barbarian base. The people who don't understand civilization, and wouldn't like it if they did. The hitchhikers. The people who create nothing, and who don't appreciate what others have created for them, and who think civilization is something that just exists and that all they need to do is enjoy what they can understand of it--luxuries, a high living standard, and easy work for high pay. Responsibilities? Phooey! What do they have a government for?” 1 likes
“Force, he believed, was the last resort of incompetence; he had said so frequently enough since this operation had begun. Of course, he was absolutely right, though not in the way he meant. Only the incompetent wait until the last extremity to use force, and by then, it is usually too late to use anything, even prayer.” 1 likes