Start by marking “Love and Friendship” as Want to Read:
Love and Friendship

Love and Friendship

This collection of the early works of Jane Austen uniquely displays the emerging talent of a brilliant and observant young woman. Completed before Austen was fifteen, the works are astonishing in their maturity. Blending the exuberance of youth with the sharp wit and devastating social criticism of her later novels, Love and Friendship is a collection not to be missed.
Published March 17th 2006 by Public Domain Books (first published 1793)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Friendship, please sign up.
Sarah Love and Friendship and other Early Works was first published in the United Kingdom by Chatto & Windus in 1922, and in America by Frederick A.…moreLove and Friendship and other Early Works was first published in the United Kingdom by Chatto & Windus in 1922, and in America by Frederick A. Stokes Company, New York the same year.(less)

midnightfaerie
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Letter The FIRST is from
Mrs. M Faerie to M. Goodreads
Janry 1st -- 2016

My Dearest M. Goodreads,

I write this to you not in praise of a worthy book - though it is indeed worthy - but instead as a dire warning. I cannot in good conscience give you this warning beforehand, instead, for you to fully understand the necessity of said warning, I must start at the beginning.

My day began like most others, awakening in the Fae Manor to a quiet house long befor
Cal Jeannette
In order to enjoy this book, you have to know a few things. First, Jane Austen wrote this compilation of short stories between the age of 11-18 to entertain her family. The main stories were written when Jane was 14-15 years old. Moreover, the "Laura" story was written as a parody of the romantic notions of the time. I say this b/c when I started the book, I found the characters to be silly, foolish, overly-emotional, overly-dramatic nitwits. I couldn't believe this was Jane Austen, so I did som ...more
Kelly
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm sad to say this might be my favorite Austen. I love P&P and S&S, but this bit of juvenalia is a scream. 14 year old Austen parodies the sentimental novels of the time quite deftly. My friend Jean and I loved this book so much in grad school we would sign cards to each other "love and freindship (sic)." Before I walked down the aisle at my wedding Jean stuck her head in the door and said "don't faint." (This is the book with the famous quote "run mad if you chuse, but do not faint.")< ...more
Alex
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romantic
Jane Austen. You may have heard of her. She wrote a book called Pride and Prejudice, later made famous by dashing actor Colin Firth and his wet shirt. Many Americans still want her autograph and others ask questions as to whether she might be enjoyed by male readers, the answer to which may seriously cause me concerns regarding my sexual and gender identity.

Austen refuses to throw any Conan the Barbarian-like bones to her male readership, who are going to have to take it on trust tha
Teresa
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though uneven of course, "Love and Freindship [sic]," an epistolary story, is hilarious with its constant mentions of sensibility, its unnecessarily despised fathers and the young-lady heroines who are also petty thieves. (Oct 3, 2012)

Who changed the spelling of the title? (And I mean the cover of my download, not something done by a GR librarian.) That is not how Jane spells "friend" and it was spelled 'her' way when I opened it last year. Anyway ... while the quality (or the novelty) of the "l(Oct
Alan
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant writing from a girl of 15, though I cannot praise the typeface used in this edition. Prefer NY:Harmony/Crown Publishers, 1981.
1) "Love and Freindship."

“Run mad as often as you chuse; but do not faint…”(28) So Austen parodies the contemporary epistolary novels of sensibility, and their convention of fainting, blushing, impetuous marriage, flights from danger.

“Alas! (exclaimed I) how am I to avoid those evils I shall never be exposed to? What probability is there of my ever
Erin
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beware of swoons Dear Laura... A frenzy fit is not one quarter so pernicious; it is an exercise to the Body and if not too, is I dare say conducive to Health in its consequences---Run mad as often as you chuse; but do not faint-

My edition included the juvenile epistolary works of Jane Austen, including,Love and Freindship, Lesley Castle, The History of England, Collection of Letters, and "Scraps." Although I wouldn't recommend a new reader to Austen starting with this collection, it does giv
classic reverie
I found some Juveniles Kindle editions of Jane Austen & "Love & Friendship" was the one I wanted to try next. This was about 97 pages which included 2 short stories, Jane's history of the kings & Queens of England, collections of letters & scraps. Love and Friendship is more of a rough incomplete thought story but complete enough that you would have liked a book instead of this 30 page story. When I was ready this I saw the mature writer Jane Austen trying to tell a story. Having ...more
Kim
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle

This collection of Jane Austen's juvenilia incudes the titular story, "Lesley Castle" (both of which are experiments in the epistolary novel form), "The History of England", "First Act of a Comedy" and various fictional letters.

All of the works in the collection are worth reading. "Love and Freindship", with its multiple deaths, illegitimacy and fainting fits, is a very silly satire on the sensibility evident in novels of the period. "Lesley Castle" is rather more confusing because of its mult
Vaishali
As a rule, I'm confounded by Austen novels, but decided to pick up one of her shortest and give it a whirl. Mistake! I didn't get this one either: I found it heart-wrenchingly tragic, but per Wikipedia she wrote it at age 14 to mock romance books.

I henceforth return to relishing Austen via British cinema, and blame my sappiness here straight on Bollywood :)

Celeste
“This was too cruel, to unexpected a Blow to our Gentle Sensibility - we could not support it - we could only faint.”

I think I sprained both eyeballs from rolling them so hard and so frequently at this story. Which was most likely the point. Ms. Austen’s objective in writing this story at the tender age of fifteen was to convey that, for the most part, teenagers are kind of terrible. Or at least, that’s what I got from it. She made her point and made it well, but I can’t say that I e
Hayden
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a Jane Austen fan and haven't read Love & Friendship yet, do so. It's an absolute hoot. Teenage Jane was a Sass Queen.

"It was too pathetic for the feelings of Sophia and myself--We fainted alternately on a Sofa."

(This edition isn't the one I had; I read mine in a collection)
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
This hilarious collection of Jane Austen's early attempts at writing show how witty and sharp she could be even at a young age. It's such a pity that all the short stories here are unfinished.
I was laughing and chuckling at every page, because of the sketches of ridiculous characters in awkward situations.

"Love and Friendship" follows the life of Laura through her love-at-first-sight encounter with a handsome stranger, her ill-advised marriage, and how she was thrown upon the k
Olivia
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give this two and a half stars but it's Jane Austen (I know that's cheating a bit). While this novel was not her best ("Emma" "Pride & Prejudice") it was certainly not her worst ("Lady Susan"). There are some humorous parts with extremely clever dialogue which reminds the reader as to why Jane Austen is the literary icon that she is. While I wouldn't highly recommend this one it was a decent read and anyone who is an avid Jane Austen fan such as myself will appreciate it.
Crystal Dawn
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, drama, romance, comedy
I've always seen Jane Austen as an intimidating author, not from her style but by how everyone raves about her. She is the supposed grandmother of romantic drama, better known as chick lit, and most people say she is their favourite author for a number of reasons. I have never read anything of hers before nor have I seen any of the movie adaptions from her works, I did dabble in Emma for my High School course but at the time I found the book so thick that I knew there was no way I was going to b ...more
Martha
Jane Austen's juvenilia. The first of them written at age 14. The sharp eye for what's really happening, the ear for dialog, the unfailing BS meter, the wit that goes to the bone, the rapier-edged turns of phrase, the snobs, the buccaneers, the fortune-hunting jilters, even the names that will reappear attached to some of the most memorable characters in Eng lit--Dashwood, Annesley, Crawford, Willoughby. You can glimpse the incipient Lady Catherine, Lydia Bennett, Mrs. John Dashwood, lots of fun ...more
Fatma

These stories are absolutely ridiculous, which is to say, they are an absolute joy to read. Young Jane Austen just doesn't give a shit about silly things like "sense" and "probability." She just goes for it. And this collection is so much the better for it. The stories of Love and Freindship don't ask you to suspend your disbelief so much as they ask you to believe in an entirely different kind of logic, one that indulges in all things absurd and whimsical.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

"As/>
"As/>These
Adrian Duţă
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I've ever read something so stupid.
Ana
After being a little disappointed with Austen's The Beautifull Cassandra, I was hesitant to try her more of her juvenilia, but this collection alleviated that fear. I can assure you dear, sensible readers that all three stories are delightfully bonkers.

In Love and Friendship , our heroine Laura marries Edward against his father’s wishes, thus forcing the lovers to run away. Laura’s fate is overwrought with the dangers of loving and swooning too much so naturally several sudden and inexplicable deaths e
Kirsty
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, ebook
This is another one of Janu Austen's short stories told in the form of letters. This was written when Austen was much younger and I think this really shows in the quality of the writing.

There seemed to be very little plot to this story and I found it very boring. Despite being really short it is a very slow read as so little happens. You can really tell that this was written by a younger Austen as it feels very immature. The characters seemed to do a lot of giggling and fainting and came off as
Kara
I discovered this little gem a few months ago and couldn't pass it up since it was Jane Austen! A compilation of stories, some finished and some not (or at least they felt unfinished to me), some sent to family members for various reasons, others discovered after her death, and all a good deal of fun to read. Since most are pretty short, it was easy to read bits and pieces as the notion arose. Many of the stories are written in epistolary form as well and I really enjoyed that aspect of them. On ...more
C Valeri
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whew finally....took me almost a year to finish that since I was reading a million other things. Anyway, hilarious and delightful early Austen--she wrote this stuff when she was like 12, 13, 14...makes me feel even worse for thinking Twilight was a good book when I was 12....Would recommend for the big Austen fans who have been through all 6 of the novels and want more! But be aware these stories are quite different in content and tone at times!
Steph
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Jane Austen
There didn't seem to be much of a point to this book, though I don't think Jane ever expected it to be published. I've noticed that all but the 1 or 2 main characters of each of her novels are complete assholes. However, I've only read L&F, P&P and am currently reading S&S, so maybe this is not a true pattern in her writting. I'll know better once I've read them all I suppose.
Jane
The title's spelled wrong! (It's Freindship as fourteen year old Jane spelled it.) Juvenilia, epistolary form, and a satire of Gothic romances, this book is priceless for the Austen fan.

"Run mad as often as you chuse; but do not faint --"
Daiva
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I guess I would give it 3 stars if it was any other author. But for Jane Austen... I just can't force myself to do it. So let's call this very strong 3 and give it 4 :) Cheating I know.
Suzy
Dani
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story with an emphasis on friendship, which I really liked.
Stephanie Biese
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's no P&P, but it made me chuckle. Always funny how Austen's stories stand the test of time to remind us that people are ridiculous.
Sam! at the bookstore
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sarcastic Regency lovers
Rating: 3 stars

Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint!

What a fun little look into young Jane Austen! The sarcasm is certainly stronger and less subtle here than any of her full-fledged novels, and it was such a fun experience. However, that excess of sarcasm - and, perhaps, the fact that it was primarily an epistolary novel - prevented me from really becoming invested in any of the characters. That's why I ended up ranking this 3 stars.

Fay Weldon's foreword was a/>Run
Em*Greedy* (Iniya)
Read this book unexpectedly....Hilarious and dramatic start to the year.....

• 101 Things You Didn't Know About Jane Austen: The Truth about the World's Most Intriguing Romantic Literary Heroine
  • Jane Austen, Her Life and Letters: A Family Record
  • A Memoir of Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • So You Think You Know Jane Austen?
  • Behind a Mask, Or, a Woman's Power
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5)
  • Jane Austen: Her Life
  • Flirting with Pride and Prejudice: Fresh Perspectives on the Original Chick-Lit Masterpiece
  • The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
  • A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Great Writers on Why We Read Jane Austen
  • Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Most Popular Author
  • Cassandra and Jane
  • Just Jane (Ladies of History, #2)
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed
“The Very first moment I beheld him, my heart was irrevocably gone.” 2701 likes