Start by marking “Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)” as Want to Read:
Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)

Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk #2)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  640 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Blending the romantic elegance of the Victorian era with modern scientific advances, the popular Steampunk genre spotlighted in this collection is innovative and stimulates the imagination. This artfully assembled anthology of original fiction, nonfiction, and art can serve as an introduction to the Steampunk culture or provide dedicated fans with more fuel. Stories of out ...more
Published November 15th 2010 by Tachyon Publications (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Steampunk II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk II

Debbie Zapata
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dar
I ordered this book in a fit of indulgence a couple of years ago, along with a lot of other titles from Thriftbooks. I had never intentionally read steampunk before, but had heard about it and decided this would be a painless introduction.

Well, turned out to be not so painless. Of the 26 stories in this volume, only five held my attention to the end. The others would either be too weird for me to start with or else lost my interest after a few pages. I skimmed the first pages of those other 21
Stefan
Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded is the second steampunk anthology edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer, following 2008’s first installment. It contains about twice as many stories as its predecessor, but unlike the first collection the quality is more uneven here, resulting in a less impressive but still fascinating anthology that should please fans of the genre.

While the first anthology only contained one story I was less than happy with, there are at least four or five in Steampunk II: Steampunk
Debra
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Solid steampunk fiction--even better than the first one, in my opinion! My faves are: "Machine Maid" by Margo Lanagan; "The mechanical aviary of Emperor Jalal-ud-din Muhammad Akbar" by Shweta Narayan; "A serpent in the gears" by Margaret Ronald; and "The strange case of Mr. Salad Monday" by G. D. Falksen. But it's all solid! A MUST read for any steampunk fan.
Amanda
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Better by far than the first anthology in the set, in spite of doubling up on a story also featured in the Extraordinary Engines anthology edited by Nick Gevers.
Shel
Some I loved, some I could have done without. A collection worth reading, if steampunk interests you. I quite enjoyed the two nonfiction essays at the end, as well.
Fleece
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
really hit and miss and the essays are infuriating
Suzanne Lazear
I don't give stars or ratings, that's just the way my reviews are, but that doesn't mean the book isn't great.

The award-winning editorial team Ann & Jeff Vandermeer does it again with their sequel to their original Steampunk anthology. “Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded” brings together a triumvirate of Steampunk spectacularness — original fiction, reprinted short stories, and non-fiction.

The twenty-seven stories and articles represent a broad cross-section of Steampunk by some of the best in
Andrea Blythe
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Steampunk Reloaded is a rather good collection of steampunk tales. It has it's ups and downs, but overall the stories are enjoyable. Along with the stories, there are a couple of interesting non-fiction pieces and a round-table interview about the future of steampunk.

Here are a few of the stories that I especially enjoyed:
-- In "The Unblinking Eye" by Stephen Baxter, Europe has advanced steam technology, but has never ventured toward the new world. Rather it is the Incas, who have developed thei
Dan Sihota
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I have never really been a big fan of science fiction or fantasy, and it
wasn't until I began reading ebooks that I first heard of the genre
known as "steampunk". I was curious to read something in this genre,
and quite a few people recommended a good place to start would be by
reading one of the anthologies edited by the husband and wife team, Ann
and Jeff VanderMeer, so when I came across a copy of this book, I
decided to give it a go.

The best thing about anthologies, with so many stories to choose
Grady McCallie
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Somehow, this took me a long time to work my way through. None of the stories were terrible, and some were great. My favorites included: Shweat Narayan, The Mechanical Aviary of Emperor Jalal-ud-din Muhammad Akbar; Stephen Baxter, The Unblinking Eye (which ends inconclusively within the world of the story, but with a great reveal for the reader); and Margaret Ronald, A Serpent in the Gears. At least the first two of these, strictly speaking, reach well beyond steampunk into fantasy, or alternate ...more
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • Ghosts by Gaslight
  • The Steampunk Bible
  • Ganymede (The Clockwork Century, #3)
  • The Immorality Engine (Newbury and Hobbes, #3)
  • The Clockwork Man
  • Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories
  • The Adventures of Langdon St. Ives
  • The Art of Steampunk
  • Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • Blood in the Skies (The Hellfire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, #1)
  • Mainspring (Clockwork Earth #1)
Ann VanderMeer is an American publisher and editor, and the second female editor of the horror magazine Weird Tales. She is the founder of Buzzcity Press.

Her work as Fiction Editor of Weird Tales won a Hugo Award. Work from her press and related periodicals has won the British Fantasy Award, the International Rhysling Award, and appeared in several year's best anthologies. Ann was also the founder
More about Ann VanderMeer...

Steampunk (3 books)
  • Steampunk (Steampunk, #1)
  • Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution