Start by marking “One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)” as Want to Read:
One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)

One Foot in the Grave

(Night Huntress #2)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  85,707 Ratings  ·  3,463 Reviews
You can run from the grave, but you can’t hide…

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She’s still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.

Being around Bones a
Published October 13th 2008 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about One Foot in the Grave, please sign up.
Lectures d'Estelle
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kat Kennedy
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who I want to confuse
You know how sometimes I choose to litter my reviews with innapropriate words or themes? Like Austin Powers taking a giant shit in my Guilty Pleasures review, or my reoccuring use of the word 'balls' in my Shiver Review?

Well, the theme and word for the day is buttsecks.

As in: I was innocently reading One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost when the two main characters suddenly had buttsecks.

Now, I'm a shameless, wanton hussy with super magical slut powers, just like any other girl, but some thin
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Life's a bitch and then one stabs you Stars

First read 2/22/2015
Reread 11/20/2015

*Spoilers*

photo 591603_zpsntifndxn.gif

"I know you left me because you thought you had to protect me, that I couldn't handle the obstacles before us. So you tried to get on with your life because you believed it would never work between us. But you see, I couldn't get on with my life because I knew we could work. I've been looking for you every day since you left me, Kitten, and I'm sick of being without you. You've had your shot at things, n
Kristen
4 1/2–Chapter 32! Need I Say More–Stars
 photo 81682F6A-54FC-4414-B070-05274732EEC2.gif

I love this book. I love Cat and Bones. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite paranormal couples. The only reason this book isn't a 5 star read is because I had a hard time staying engaged in the plot during the first 9 chapters. Frankly, I was bored out of my mind until the author stopped dragging out Bone's reappearance into the storyline. Other than that, One Foot in the Grave is a fantastic, enthralling, and sexy as sin read.
Kim
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
I don't know if Jeaniene Frost planned all along to do what she did in ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE, the second installment of her NIGHT HUNTRESS series, or if she adapted after reader feedback . . . Either way, it was an excellent call.

In HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE, Cat Crawfield was slammed with many, many truths that grossly conflicted with her upbringing. She was distraught and confused, and rightfully so . . .

BUT.

As understandable as it was for Cat to struggle with her new worldview, it was also frust
Amy (Foxy)
BONES DOES IT AGAIN!!

Bones has some of the most humorous lines I’ve ever read in paranormal romance books. But I have to hand it to Cat because she had the best line in the whole book:

“You know that old saying. Once you go dead, no one's better in bed.”

I love Bones & Cat together because I know I'm in for a fun adventure. My only fault I had with this story was the beginning of the book because it lacked Bones. I found myself struggling to stay interested in what was happening with the pl
Shawna
5++ stars – Vampire Romance/Urban Fantasy

WOW...just WOW! I loved, loved, loved this book! Cat and Bones are back with bite in One Foot in the Grave, and as amazing as the first book was, this one’s even better.

Cat’s kick-ass vampire slaying is ramped up much higher this go round, and we also get a nice appetizingly, mouth-wateringly luscious, juicy Bones fix that had me melting like an ice cream cone on a hot summer day...Y-U-M! There’s lots of fast paced, high-octane action, witty laugh-out-lou
Sophia Triad
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, ghouls, ghosts
4 years ago, Bones made a promise (a threat? a friendly reminder?):

“If you run from me, I will chase you, and I'll find you....”

Cat never expected to see him again. She had tried to push him away in order to protect him, but she never liked what she did. They were together for just a few months, but she still loves him. Now she has an important job to do in the Homeland Security Paranormal department. Not very different to the one she used to do when she was working with Bones. She still plays
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
For a second book, I wanted....
- better secondary characters
- Cat and Bones: fight fight fight kiss kiss kiss
-the mom to die
-what happened to Timmie? #the real MVP

Overall this second book did pretty well on delivering but it left a Timmie-shaped hole in my heart.
description

So Cat is working for the government: stabbing people and getting paid for it. A regular white-collar, tax paying job. But without boy-toy Bones, she is lonely and there's some friend who just hangs around and tells her to get some:
"“D
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

Another fantastic reread! While I don't love it as much as the first, it's a solid follow up to an amazing book. I love Cat and Bones, and that one scene. YOU KNOW WHAT SCENE! Omg, if I had virgin eyes they'd be flaming in my skull right now because of THAT scene. Anyways, ignore the horrible covers, this is one of the best PNR series out there.
Emily May
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved Spike half as much as I did
Shelves: pnr, paranormal-uf, 2011
EDIT: I'm adding a honorary star to the first two books in this series, just because Frost has been consistently awesome throughout.

I really really enjoyed this book but I just can't quite bring myself to award it 5 stars when you compare it to, say, Margaret Atwood's genius in The Handmaid's Tale or the deeply entwined mystery/romance/mythology of Darkfever and the rest of the Fever series. This is an easy-to-read addictive series with a heroine who is likeable, brave (without being unrealistic
Helen 2.0
A good read, but nowhere near as gripping and emotionally involving as the first Night Huntress installment.

I had tons of fun readng One Foot in the Grave because of the wit, snarkiness, and generally funny moments all over the book. This one resembled the last book in that way. I've picked out some of my favorite quotes/passages:
"Life's a bitch and then one stabs you."

Just like old times, I thought ironically. I look like a slut, and Bones is my backup while I go after murdering fang-bangers.
Adina
May 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy-pr
I read this terrible follow-up to the dreadful vampire novel, Halfway to the Grave a few weeks ago while I had my brain locked by a sad event. I could only read this kind of books, where any sign of intelligence from my part was not needed.

I do enjoy these kind of books from time to time so no problem there. What is inexcusable is that I considered to be a good idea putting myself again through the pain of reading this series. More cheesy love declarations, stupid jealously, bad action sequence
Debra
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4.5 Stars!

On to the next one!
Auntee
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any paranormal fan, but especially fans of JR Ward and Kresley Cole
The most reading fun I've had all year! Can I give this book more than 5 stars? This book has it all--the totally unique characters, the imaginative story line, the ultra witty dialogue, the set-the-sheets-on-fire bedroom action, the kick a** heroine, and the number one, sexiest bad-boy 'Master' vampire of all time, the swoon-worthy Bones! Oh my, he may have just replaced Rhage as my all-time favorite vamp! God, the things he says and does...words cannot describe his utter hotness...to try to do ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I am having a lot of fun with my audio re-read of this series. It has been a little more than five years since I read this book the first time so it was definitely time to revisit this wonderful story. This was a book that once I really got into the story, I didn't want to put it down. I ended up listening to the whole audiobook in just a couple of days and I think I liked the book even more the second time around.

I do have to admit
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Grumpy Book Grrrl ⚔
First read: May 2014: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Second read: April 2015: ★ ★ ★

Well, I definitely don't think this is a 5 star book anymore. My tastes and standards have changed a lot just in one year!

The first half of this book is basically what has Cat been up to in the 4 years she blew off Bones and joined a secret government group that hunts rogue vampires who kill humans. Cat is their leader and thought she was saving Bones' life by leaving him and disappearing. YAWN.

I never liked the secret military stor
* Meli Mel *

♥♥♥ 4 "HOLY CHAPTER 32" STARS ♥♥♥

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

“This isn’t going to be easy,” I grumbled as we headed toward the exit.

Bones shrugged. “Nothing worthwhile ever is.”

●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●  ●

I couldn't wait to start this one! I had been told that Chapter 32 would blow my mind! And it did! I seriously want Bones so bad!

It's been four years, that right FOUR years (I was surprised myself), since Cat left Bones to become a secret age
Brenna
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
CAUTION! This (audio)book may lead to poor decision making, hazardous driving, and collisions between cars & trashcans.

Yep, this book is that good! I still maintain that the trashcan came out of nowhere... ;)

One Foot in the Grave begins four years after book #1, Halfway to the Grave ends. Cat is working for a secret part of the government being a badass ass, killing vampires everyday, you know, the ushe... Things are pretty rocky with Bones & the story begins with us not knowing ho
Tammy
Cat & Bones, Part II packs a punch and leaves you craving more.

The plot moves smoothly, the writing is sharper and wittier than the first book, there is oodles of action, the love scenes left me shaking. Literally. The author writes a particular love scene that is very original and hotter than Hades. I've never read anything like it before!

Kudos to Jeaniene Frost for taking a chance and starting this book four years later. Most books in a sequel take place one right on top of the other, but
I was looking for something non-boring to read, and decided that since I loved this the first time I read it, I’d read it again. That being said, I didn’t like it quite so much the second time around, but the ending did save it a bit for me.

Cat came across as a little naïve in this book, although she did improve as the book went on. So many people seemed to get the drop on her though, even if she did get them back eventually, that I wondered how she stayed alive on her own for so long!

The storyl
Jilly
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's full of tropes, totally predictable, a little cheesy, but still:

Yeah, if there are t-shirts, mousepads, and coffee mugs that say "Chapter 32" on them, you know something big happened in chapter 32. Pun intended.

So, here's the last few lines in Chapter 31:

Cat: "if I don’t wake up tomorrow red in the face from embarrassment at what you did to me, I’ll be disappointed."

Bones: "Now, I am short on some props, and there isn’t nearly enough time in one night to run through all the ways I’ve fanta
Alp
One Foot In The Grave is the second installment of Night Huntress series and it is better than the first one. Bones is pretty different from the man he used to be in the previous book, more adorable and attractive, and yes, he's head over heels in love with Cat! (Why her!? I still don't get that!) Cat, on the other hand, is still that same annoying woman whom I can't bring myself to like.

However, the story had a lot of interesting details, engaging plot, and it was fast-paced enough to hold my
Mel
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What’s up with the attitude Cat?

I was really disappointed in this second book in the Night Huntress series.
The first book was wonderful. Witty dialogue, a lot of tough action and of course: Cat and Bones together (hot hot hot). We saw Cat being transformed from a shy but determined amateur to a sexy vixen vampire huntress. I loved Bones, I loved Cat and I loved them together.

Four years later, Cat is in charge of a special task force dealing with undead felons. She has a busy work life, her col
Gavin
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This was a fun second instalment in the Night Huntress series. It was not quite as good as Halfway to the Grave, but I blame the lacklustre secondary characters for that rather than Cat and Bones.

I was initially a bit horrified that Jeaniene Frost had chosen to kick this book off 4 years after the events at the end of the first book. I usually hate such time jumps, but in this case I think it actually worked out for the best. Cat had a chance to grow on her own and perfect her vampire slaying s
Sarah Mac
It's been a long time since I read the first book in this series (Halfway to the Grave), but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Half-vamp heritage aside, Cat was an average Ohio girl. She wanted to be badass, but didn't know how to manage it -- so while Bones taught her to kill & embrace her strengths, they fell in love. It felt natural. It made me smile.

This book didn't make me smile. This book made me want to kick Cat in the face.

I should mention that I'm biased against Mega-Alpha Females
Catarina
5 Awesome Stars.

This seconds installment starts 4,5 years after the end of the first book. Cat is working with the government killing vampires and trying to move on with her life after having left Bones behind, because she believed they would never had any chance of a future together.
But destiny cross both of their paths again and between her vengeance and a new war against a powerful vampire, old feelings that never really got away are bound to return.

description

I liked this book even more than the fir
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Reread: September 2016
Reread rating: 5 stars

"And there is my payment the rubies in your cheeks. Are you properly scandalized by your wicked behavior? If you were Catholic, you'd singe the ears of the priest you confessed to. Do you remember making me swear to repeat all those naughty actions again, no matter what you said this morning?"
Now that he brought it up, I did recall saying that. Great, betrayed by my own immorality.
"God, Bones... some of that was depraved."
"I'll take that as a complime
DarienMoya
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, 2010-reads
^^I KNOW A CAT THAT CHEWS ON BONES!^^

The second book in the Night Huntress series is a winner. My second time reading this book, and it was just as awesome as ever. Cat and Bones are back in a big way, and this is a series not be missed. This book picks up where the first one left us without Bones, and Cat wallowing in all her self-pity, thus causing my Bones pain.

Well he is back with his “Hallo, Kitten” and it gives tingles to the spine. Give a dog a bone already, because I am would pull out s
Buggy
Opening Line: "I waited outside the large four-story home in Manhasset that was owned by a Mr Liam Flannery.

Gah… This was just all kinds of ways good, the question here is why did I leave the delicious and uber sexy Bones sitting on my TBR shelf for so long? I mean I already knew this was going to be great, I figured Cat was going to kick some major ass and I’d heard all kinds of rumours about the infamous chapter 32 So why the wait?? I just don’t have an answer. Anyways my thanks to SheSwitches
  • Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Desire Unchained (Demonica #2)
  • Faefever (Fever, #3)
  • Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3)
  • Wait for Dusk (Dark Days, #5)
  • Jabril (Vampires in America, #2)
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series, the Broken Destiny series, and the upcoming Night Rebel series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in Florida with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps i ...more

Night Huntress (7 books)
  • Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6)
  • Up from the Grave (Night Huntress, #7)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
“You know that old saying. Once you go dead, no one's better in bed.” 1080 likes
“You called her Kitten? And she let you? She put me in a coma for three days when I
called her that! My balls never recovered from her smashing them into my spine!”
650 likes