Start by marking “Season of Shadows (Harlequin Romance, #2430)” as Want to Read:
Season of Shadows (Harlequin Romance, #2430)

Season of Shadows (Harlequin Romance, #2430)

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
"Can you think of a better solution?"
Laura's mind searched frantically for alternatives. She simply could not marry this cold cynical man. But her newly orphaned niece, Sally, needed both Anton DeVere and her for a stable home I ife.

Laura stared at Anton in helpless confusion and finally replied hoarsely, "No--"

Totally immersed in her own feelings, she flinched in surprise
Mass Market Paperback
Published September 1981 by Harlequin Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Season of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of Shadows

StMargarets
Trainwreck alert! Trainwreck alert!

On the HP tracks, heading in the direction of cynicism and misogyny , is our train - we'll call him Hero. Hero is cruel. Hero forces heroine to marry him and then rapes her on their wedding night (she fights). Hero gives heroine orgasms, but makes sure she admits it. Hero takes heroine in anger more than once. Hero cavorts with an OW. Hero brings OW to a dinner party at their house without telling the heroine. Hero promises he will never fall in love with anyo
Julz
Jenny
Wow! This book is full of melodrama, angst and passion!

Laura's sister and brother in law are killed and their daughter needs a mother. Laura was happy to become a mother for little Sally but Sally wanted Anton as her father so the solution was for Laura and Anton to marry. But when sparks fly a loveless marriage of convenience soon turns into a deep passionate love story.

Amazing read. Old school Harlequin Presents are the best. New HP authors have nothing on old super talented authors like Yvo
Megzy
If you are in the mood for a trainwreck, a verbally abusive ass**ole who takes what is not offered to him, a brute mistreating his wife on a daily basis, this is the right book for you. Otherwise, stay away!

(view spoiler)
~M~
Jun 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: vintage, romance
The theme of this book: DOMINATION and SUBMISSION.

Before I figured that out. I thought this was the worst book ever written. The female lead is a virgin... and afraid of sex. The female lead is afraid of the male lead. Through a convoluted series of events involving the death of her sister and the orphaning of her neice, the woman is "forced" to marry the man, who is now the neice's guardian.

And really, the reasoning is ludicrous for any thinking woman brought up in the 1970's. Who CARES if "pe
Glamdring
This is a typical 80ies Harlequin book.
This book is full of double standards and examples of how love is supposedly "blind". I also have to say that it didn't age that well.
The heroine bears a lot from the hero who is a jerk with capital "J" and even though he explains himself at the end I still don't get him.
Tia
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Quite a dramatic novel and the hero was absolutely brutal, to the point of abusive. It was kind of scary watching him lose control and the heroine thinking that it was alright and being so forgiving because she loves him.
Noelle
This one is really a 2 1/2 **

I knew this one would be dated and that usually doesn't bother me but for some reason this one was just too much for me.

Laura (h) gets a call one day saying that her sister and brother in law have been killed in a boating accident and that her 10 year old niece was in need of her. So she drops everything and boards a flight the next day.

Anton (H) really had a mess on his hands. His best friend was killed in a boating accident and he is left with the responsibility o
Melinda
Oct 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Disgusting excuse for a romance. Rape is what happens to our heroine on her wedding night and at least two more times although it is disguised with words to describe it without actually calling it what it is. Taken by force aka rape. Nasty book.
Yvonne Whittal was born and raised in South Africa, the setting of most of her romances. She started writing stories at a young age, but didn't really get serious about writing until after she married and had children. She got many rejection letters from publishers, until a friend who loved romances gave her to encouragement to continue.
More about Yvonne Whittal...