Start by marking “Narratology: Introduction to the Theory of Narrative” as Want to Read:
Narratology: Introduction to the Theory of Narrative

Narratology: Introduction to the Theory of Narrative

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  267 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews

Since its first publication in English in 1985, Mieke Bal's Narratology has become the international classic and comprehensive introduction to the theory of narrative texts. Narratology is a systematic account of narrative techniques, methods, their transmission, and reception, in which Bal distills years of study of the ways in which we understand both literary and non-li

Published November 1st 1985 by University of Toronto Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Narratology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Narratology

Theryn Fleming
In Narratology, Mieke Bal argues that a narrative text can be divided into three layers: the fabula (elements, or series of events), the story (aspects, e.g. ordering, point of view), and the text (words). At each level there is an agent: fabula (actor, or agent who performs actions), story (focalizer, or subject of focalization), and text (narrator, or linguistic subject). The first two chapters (fabula, story) were clearly presented and fairly straightforward, the third chapter (text) a little ...more
Bernard Norcott-mahany
This is supposed to be an excellent introduction to narratology, which I suppose it is, but I guess my head just wasn't up to reading what seemed to me a dry analysis of what makes a story a story. I suppose it's time for me to find and reread Cohan and Shires' "Telling Stories," which I think does the same job but with a little more verve.
Nadam se da nikad ovim neću morati da se bavim.
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I read academic texts for information, sometimes for edification, and sometimes, simply because I want to brush up on my jargon in a particular area. This latter reason was why I picked up this book. It is groundbreaking in that Bal was one of the first to really codify the theory of narrotology into a field of study. And, on some levels, the discussion is useful... particularly the ways in which narrotology can offer a critical perspective outside of literature.

Beyond the jargon, how
I read (most of) this book for a course in narratology which I audited years ago. Am thinking of rereading it now, having run into someone who works on the incredibly awesome topic of Narrative AIs for video games. Not sure this is exactly the topic which most parallels that concern in the humanities, but hey, I should reread this anyway.
Useful guide to stating the bleeding obvious
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not as if this book has a lot in it to surprise-- I think most people who come to it know what they are getting into, a famously "systematic" take on narrative theory, with a share of complicated symbols, etc. But despite some sort of short-sighted statements, like the claim that a narrative is a among other things, a text with a first and last word, this is a remarkably durable book, and one that seems at least open to the possibility that readers process texts as they go along, not only a ...more
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: freaks and weirdos
This book is essential - if you're interested in narratology - the study of narrative. most people aren't. this book is extremely dry, but gains in clarity in a pretty difficult topic. it's hopelessly structuralist, but mieke bal does a good job, in this second edition, to tie narratology to other means of doing ideological critique.
Apr 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thin book in which Bal analyzes the techniques of narrative, including the duration of a representation, its frequency, and its chronological order. Her discussion of focalization is particularly good.
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A revisited conceptual frameworks of narratology, packed with tons of academic gibberish that are useful when you need to cite something 'sophisticated'.
Aline Job
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um livro básico para estudantes, pesquisadores e interessados em narrativa e narratologia. A abordagem é bastante detalhada e faz um caminho estruturalista necessário para um conhecimento preciso sobre as categorias da narrativa.
Although a bit dense and difficult to read at times, this is overall an intriguing introduction to narratology. A lot of useful theory for reading and analyzing texts.
Alejandra Díaz
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me gusta porque es súper sencillo de entender. El autor es muy directo y usa mucha ejemplificación.
Jose Marín
El contenido del libro es interesante, a más no poder, pero es de una densidad expositiva abrumadora. Apropiado para lectores con un alto nivel teórico, pero difícil para el lector medio que, como yo, trata de aproximarse a las entrañas de la narrativa. Incluso considerando que ciertas personas más acostumbradas a ello no tendrán tantas dificultades para asimilarlo, creo que Mieke Bal hubiera dotado a la obra de más trascendencia con un lenguaje algo más asequible, tal vez dedicando más espacio ...more
Interesante estudio de la focalización y un vistazo muy superficial al resto de características de la narrativa. Dicho esto es el libro peor formateado que me he echado a la cara, se han limitado a escanearlo con un montón de erratas y un magnifico indice analítico que te manda a páginas que no están numeradas. Bien señores.
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Was very useful for my thesis, but I am unlikely to read it again.
Feb 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grammar for narratives.
Kriangkrai Vathanalaoha
I love this book...Easy to understand and practical to anyone who loves Narratology.
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I've read a analytic discussion of the elements of narrative. It's good. I'd love to find more like this. Any suggestions?
Norman S
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brutal read - if this is the easiest book on Narratology then it's a tough discipline!! But in the end I feel smarter and will never see the world the same way again.
Nov 16, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i have to read this book
Sue Bridgwater
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging and mostly readable book on narratology and its developments.
Emily Care
Good fundamental work. Dense.
Clare Azzopardi
  • An Introduction to Discourse Analysis: Theory and Method
  • Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature
  • The Political Unconscious
  • Postmodernist Fiction
  • Allegories of Reading: Figural Language in Rousseau, Nietzsche, Rilke, and Proust
  • The Poetry Handbook: A Guide to Reading Poetry for Pleasure and Practical Criticism
  • The Fantastic: A Structural Approach to a Literary Genre
  • The Content of the Form: Narrative Discourse and Historical Representation
Mieke Bal is a Dutch literary theorist, cultural and art historian.
More about Mieke Bal...

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Crosswicks Journals: A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, The Irrational Season, and Two-Part Invention
    $29.99 $3.99