Start by marking “Odd and the Frost Giants” as Want to Read:
Odd and the Frost Giants

Odd and the Frost Giants

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  24,854 ratings  ·  3,107 reviews

In this inventive, short, yet perfectly formed novel inspired by traditional Norse mythology, Neil Gaiman takes readers on a wild and magical trip to the land of giants and gods and back.

In a village in ancient Norway lives a boy named Odd, and he's had some very bad luck: His father perished in a Viking expedition; a tree fell on and shattered his leg; the endless freezin

Published September 22nd 2009 by HarperCollins (first published March 3rd 2008)

·  24,854 ratings  ·  3,107 reviews

Jayson
(A-) 81% | Very Good
Notes: It's a delightful read with a simple, yet original story. It knows exactly what it's supposed to be and does it very well.
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thor fans
This book is a little treat. If you enjoyed Norse Mythology then you will likely adore this. This is a children’s tale, though as with all good children’s books it’s perfect for adults too.

Odd is a tough little boy. He is physically disabled and shunned by his step-father who pushes him out of his family home, though he refuses to give up. He refuses to stop smiling and it is because of this that he succeeds. Positivity can go a long way and it certainly helps when you stumble across the Gods.

I
Sr3yas
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The noise of the blade hitting the thick icicle cracked off the hills around them, making echoes that sounded as if an entire army of men was hammering on the ice…

"Odd and the Frost Giants" is a short, simple, magical and disarmingly beautiful tale that draws from Viking and Norse mythology. This is basically a children's book that features a much nicer version of beloved mythological characters!

The tale introduces Odd, who is odd. Yes, it is odd. *Gaaaah, this is so confusing.* Odd is the n
PorshaJo
What a wonderful way to follow up Gaiman's Norse Mythology. Odd and the Frost Giants is a story about Odd, a young boy, and his meeting with Loki, Thor, and Odin. Er, though not in their normal form, in animal form (a fox, a bear, and an eagle). Odd is on his way with the trio to Asgard to save it from the Frost Giants. Who, thanks to Loki naturally, put them into animal form and has taken over Asgard.

What a great story. Wonderful to read this one to young children. The story is short and the bo
Stacey
Each time I read something by Gaiman, I think, “This. This is where he excels.” Whether it's a fairy story (Stardust,) or a children's story (Coraline.) Or the melding of American Mythology with a new Mythology of his creation (American Gods, Anansi Boys.) Maybe it's something vaguely steampunkish and other-worldly, like Neverwhere. Sometimes it's when I revist the complexities in Sandman.

Or maybe I'm not actually that fickle, and I just like the way his phrasing and ideas are like mainlining s
Nat
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The wise man knows when to keep silent. Only the fool tells all he knows.”

This tale follows Odd, a young Viking boy, left fatherless following a raid and in his icy, ancient world where there is no mercy for an unlucky soul with a crushed foot and no one to protect him. Fleeing to the woods, Odd stumbles upon and releases a trapped bear. And then Odd's destiny begins to change. description
The eagle, bear and fox Odd encounters are Norse gods, trapped in animal form by the evil frost giants who have conqu
Bradley
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-shelf, fantasy, ya
What a delightful counterpoint to Norse Mythology!

I mean, yes, it's written for middle-grade and Thor and Loki are cute and Odin is inscrutable as always and the frost giant is funny rather than scary because, after all, EVERYONE is afraid of Freya's tongue... but it's still a real delight!

I don't care what anyone says about Gaiman. The man can write a classy tale no matter where or what he's writing about. This is, after all, only a retelling of an old story, but it's a very particular and beau
Lyn
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd and the Frost Giants is a short novel by Neil Gaiman probably intended for a young adult audience, or younger, or older; it is a fun, fable-like story.

Odd is a young Viking boy who has an adventure amongst a setting in Norse mythology. A fan of American Gods will recognize Gaiman’s voice and a fan of DreamWorks film How to Train Your Dragon would also like this short work.

description
Trish
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As mentioned a few days ago already, this is the special edition of a story Neil Gaiman wrote and published for World Book Day in the UK in 2008.

The book is about the titular viking boy Odd (meaning "the tip of a blade" and not "strange"), who had a terrible accident after his father died in an equally terrible accident (they are not the most lucky of people), leaving Odd with a disability. He is shunted in the village for being weak until one day he leaves to go back to his father's old hut in
Jason Koivu
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Odd and the Frost Giants is such a short and easy read, you'll gulp it down in an instant and be shouting to Neil Gaiman, "Next!"

This is the most childish Gaiman story I've read yet and that's saying something. But it's not saying something as negative as some might take it. Odd... is intended for the kiddies.

It's not a terrible introduction for youngsters into the realm of Norse mythology. In it, a crippled boy meets a few anthropomorphic animals who turn out to be outcast gods, who need this
Leila
This is an unusual little book. It is an excellent introduction to Norse Mytholoogy for children and an easy and delightful read for adults, especially those with some knowledge of Norse Mythology. Odd is a pleasing personality..a crippled young boy with a grim and physically painful life. He has a lot of innate courage and an extremely calm attititude and he decides to set out on a quest - a familiar theme in both adult and children's books. However he sets off with some sensible preparations t ...more
||Swaroop||
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Neil Gaiman! Odd and the Frost Giants is a delightful, enjoyable and heartwarming read... A wild and magical trip to the land of Gods and Giants!

***

THERE WAS A BOY called Odd, and there was nothing strange or unusual about that, not in that time or place. Odd meant the tip of a blade, and it was a lucky name.

He was odd, though. At least, the other villagers thought so. But if there was one thing that he wasn`t, it was lucky.

***

Odd is indeed a very special kind of twelve-year-old boy. Some
Coos Burton
Este breve libro es ideal para introducir de una manera muy amena a los más pequeños a la mitología nórdica, al menos para despertar su interés en el tema. No he leído tanto de Neil Gaiman como me gustaría, sin embargo me alegro de haber podido acceder a este título (gracias a mi pareja, que me lo prestó) ya que me pareció una historia sumamente fresca y tierna, y no pierde la magia que destaca a Gaiman en ningún momento.
Phrynne
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little fantasy aimed at older children but absolutely fine for adults too. The story is based on old Norse tales and is woven around Thor, Odin, Loki and our young hero whose name is Odd. Only 120 pages of well spaced text, I read this book in the time it took me to prepare dinner. I still enjoyed it very much as I do nearly everything this author writes:)
Paul
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
Odd is a young Norseman, who lost his father after a Viking raid. He is partly disabled after a tree fell on his leg. His mother has now re-married and his new step-father cares little for him preferring his own children. This year the winter is dragging on and on, and having now had enough of home, heads out to a hut his father owned in the forest.

In the forest he comes across a bear with his paw stuck; he frees it. The bear is grateful, and Odd learns that the bear and his companions, a fox an
Annet
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
My third Gaiman, a fairy tale for kids but also for the older people, like me :-) As a kid, I used to love all fairytales.... I enjoyed this short novel, 'inspired by traditional Norse mythology'. The pencil drawings in the book also beautiful. 3.5 going on 4. Entertaining short read!

It's about a boy named Odd, going on an adventure with a bear, an eagle and a fox...

There was a boy called Odd, and there was nothing strange or unusual about that, not in that time or place. Odd meant 'the tip of a
Mario
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book to start off a year with.
Neil Gaiman truly is one of best authors ever.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Odd and the Frost Giants was a quick, but very rewarding book to listen to on audio. The author himself narrated, and his voice is very pleasant to listen to. He knows his characters best and animated them as richly as he had intended them. The Norse mythology elements were interesting, and I loved how Mr. Gaiman injects a humorous view of the constant strife between the Aesir and the Frost Giants. He embodies the traits of Odin, Thor, and Loki very well, and their animal forms fit what characte ...more
Andrew
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit that this is the second time I have read this book although the version I first read was the world book day paperback (no idea why why Goodreads insists I have read the hardback version).

Either way this is a much better presented version of the Norse tale than previous versions - with of course the addition of atmospheric illustrations.

I think for me one of the appeals of Neil Gaiman is his ability to weave tales in style that I can easily get in to - reading only a few pages I fee
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Listened to this story on audiobook via my library's BorrowBox service!

Odd was a far better story than The Sleeper and the Spindle. Who would have thought that Norse legends/mythology could be so interesting? In the audio edition, Neil narrates it himself as we follow young Odd who lost his father due to a raid conducted by vikings. In this year, the winter doesn't seem to stop and with struggles in his home with mother, step-father and step-siblings, Odd ventures out towards a hut that was belo
Giulia Messa
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il mio primo Neil Gaiman. Avevo già sentito parlare della capacità descrittiva dell'autore e non posso che confermare; sembra davvero che ,durante la lettura, ti si materializzino davanti il mondo è i personaggi descritti nelle sue pagine. Per quanto riguarda la storia l'ho trovata davvero dolce e di piacevole lettura, amando già molto la mitologia norrena. Bellissima caratterizzazione dei personaggi e degli animali a loro correlati. Avanti con il prossimo Gaiman!
Magdalena
A beautifully written story inspired by Norse mythology and aimed at children that is bound to bring smile to your face. Gaiman, as always, delivers!
Kaya Dimitrova
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Отново невероятна история от Нийл Геймън, съпътствана от също толкова забележителни илюстрации, дело на Крис Ридъл. С “Од и ледените великани“ Геймън успя да ми поднесе обилна доза приключения, малко смях, остроумни диалози и куп чудати герои, вдъхновени от митологията.
Следващата „Геймън“ спирка обмислям да е „Скандинавска митология“. А някой от вас да я е чел?
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
This a wonderful short coming of age tale, dressed in the fine fantasy based on Norse mythology. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Odd, although his name doesn't mean that where he lives, is still actually pretty odd. Nobody gets him. It gets worse when his father dies and he greatly injures his leg. Things get so tough, Odd decides to leave and never come back. But as he does, something happens... Odd meets some gods in trouble. Namely, Odin, Thor and Loki. And he sort of ends up helping them out.

It's a
Lata
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
3.5 stars. Read this to my child, who really enjoyed it.
Roseb612
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skvělé první vkročení našich dětí do severské mytologie - i díky metamorfóze bohů ve zvířata, ale především zásluhou úžasných ilustrací Chrise Riddella. Samotný příběh je hodně jednoduchý a pro dospělého čtenáře asi i dost rozvláčný, ale děti to přímo hltaly a tohle byla jedna z knížek, díky níž ochotně a rády chodily večer spát :-)

Grafická podoba knihy je opravdu excelentní, jen jsme museli dětem bránit v potřebě tomu "přidat barvu" - nakonec jsem jim pár stránek okopírovala a mohly se barevně
StoryTellerShannon
A fast and fun tale giving a twist to Norse lore. Narrated by the author, Neil Gaiman.

OVERALL GRADE: B minus to B.
Carmen
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Half-way between a fairy Tale and Norse mythology. You can't help but love Odd, the unusual hero of the story and his even less usual methods. He is a child who has lost his father, whose mother has remarried and his stepfather is not the most welcoming one. One day something happens and unlucky Odd sort of runs away and bumps into a bear, an eagle and a Fox, and that's where the real adventure begins.
It brought back memories of my childhood days lying on The carpet reading a fairy Tale about a
Richard
This is Neil Gaiman's take on Scandinavian mythology for a younger audience. But there are so many things in it that make it more than a modernized version of a myth. We get Norse society from the point of view of a young boy. We get allusions to Viking raids, the haunting sadness of Odd's mother, and the unpleasantness of life with an unwelcoming stepfather. Life, despite its fleeting beauties and touches of humour, can be "nasty, brutish and short."

Odd, like many of Gaiman's heroes, is an odd
Tanja Berg
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"By March, the worst of the winter would be over. The snow would thaw, the rivers begin to run, and the world would wake into itself again.

Not that year.

Winter hung in there, like an invalid refusing to die. Day after grey day the ice stayed hard, the world remained unfriendly and cold."

That sounds about like the current winter I'm living through, the absolute worst one for a good 15 years. That includes winter spent far further north. Maybe the frost giants have invaded Asgard again? It certain
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Cats of Tanglewood Forest (Newford, #18)
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • The Coming of the Dragon
  • Castle Hangnail
  • Peter & Max
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse (Goth Girl, #1)
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Winterfrost
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl
  • Loki
  • Kenny & the Dragon
  • Enchanted Glass
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
“The wise man knows when to keep silent. Only the fool tells all he knows.” 73 likes
“Talk is free but the wise man chooses when to spend his words.” 45 likes