Start by marking “The Fabled Fifth Graders of Aesop Elementary School” as Want to Read:
The Fabled Fifth Graders of Aesop Elementary School

The Fabled Fifth Graders of Aesop Elementary School

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Here's a chapter book with all the kid appeal and absurd mayhem of Louis Sachar's classic Sideways Stories from Wayside School! These hilarious fables, complete with morals, will make you wish you went to Aesop Elementary.

Welcome back to Mr. Jupiter's inimitable class in this companion to The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary School. His rambunctious, special stude
Published August 10th 2010 by Schwartz & Wade (first published August 5th 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about The Fabled Fifth Graders of Aesop Elementary School

Janice RWG3
Jun 30, 2016 is currently reading it
The book tells the story of comic novels stories. Here’s a chapter with different chapter of each little story. Why I write for this book, because I had a contrary teacher in my school life. I want to know what different reactions between two types of teachers. The book relates how the classic and funny wired teacher taught their students and the teacher always goes his ways. He didn’t follow school rules.

At the start of the new term, the Aesop elementary school headmaster engaged five training
Molly (Conan the Librarian) Crumbley
The kids from Aesop Elementary School are back, and this time they rule the school as 5th graders! Rejoining them is their beloved kooky teacher Mr. Harry Valentine Jupiter, the only staff member at the school brave enough to take on this class of rowdy misfits.

Each chapter, which ends in—what else?—a moral, contains a quick and funny story from the school year and highlights the different students who make up Mr. Jupiter’s unconventional class. Throughout the final year at Aesop, Mr. Jupiter’s
Meredith
Aug 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but I didn't. Too many one- ... actually, half-note characters, too much absurdity that I didn't find all that amusing. But the kids it's written for would probably have a different opinion.

I do have to say that it could kick off lessons on:
- fables/morals
- descriptive character names a la Dickens
- spelling
- journalistic integrity
- crochet
- reading music
- geography

But I probably won't be teaching any of them in relation to this book, because I don't want to ha
Erin
Aug 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this one. The review that I read compared it to "Sideways Stories from Wayside School", which was one of my favorite books growing up. This book was definitely no "Sideways Stories". The chapters felt short and underdeveloped, and the characters were flat. The supposedly-loveable teacher, Mr. Jupiter, around whom the book is centered, was barely sketched in. I just wasn't able to connect with this book on any level.
Sandy
What an odd little book. Zaney humor is really best when it's cleverly backed by some intelligance, and it's this book's smart use of fable that really saves the story. Each chapter (and the chapters all stand pretty well on their own as short stories) is ended with a moral from one of Aesop's fables. These morals do a decent job of pulling the odd humor together into something more cohesive.
Alex
Jun 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: strips
I didn't like this book very much. Each chapter was supposed to be a re-telling of a fable, or at least it's just a story that kind of fits one of Aesop's morals.

Any way the names are all kinda lame and don't really have any need to be weird some are a little bit fun but honestly Wayside school books are better thought out.

For second and third grade who may not like full books yet and need a book where every chapter is a story, that is completed.
Marcia
Jan 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: grades-4-6
The cutesy character names really rubbed me the wrong way, but I stuck with it and the story grew on me. Mr. Jupiter's class of wacky 5th graders has all kinds of misadventures, promoted by the their unconventional teacher. Although I wouldn't call the chapters fables, each is summarized by a moral, and that is what I enjoyed most. I think this book would be enjoyed by 4-5th graders who enjoy school stories such as Dan Gutman's Weird School series.
Sherry
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Humorous, clever, and brings a new twist to Aesop's classic tales - just the thing to point today's kids back to the real thing. Presents fresh, smart classroom vignettes which culminate in a chapter-closing point based on Aesop's Fables. This could have been a disjointed disaster, but in Ms. Fleming's skilled hands we've got a funny, contemporary novel that appeals to all types of readers, and boys and girls alike.

For ages 8-11 (best for 4th and 5th graders)
available in paperback
Angie
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile-fic
I got the ARC at ALA and finally got around to reading it today.

I sort of wish I hadn't.

It wasn't terrible. But it wasn't good, either.

The first book, The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary School, was funnier.
Annie
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 3-5th graders, boys and girls
Silly, good-humored, fun. Similar to Wayside school, but more loosely plotted, which is fine. You almost feel as if the author is writing for both the teacher and students because the faculty room jokes and stereotypes are spot on - again, in a good way. I'd recommend to boys and girls - grades 3-5.
Ar Plante
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good. It was about students that no one wanted to teach other than Mr.Jupiter. While in fifth grade the class learns many lessons and has fun. This book has all the fables of the 1 fifth grade class.
McKenna
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is a good friendship book and i love the storys and Morals in this book. I am a Obsessive reader which means i am always spotting a new book with potential and i definitaly found potential in this book.
Kesha
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a rare read that has abuses a poetic device, alliteration, which made the story cornier than it needed to be. I love the allusions to the many scholarly topics mentioned that will hopefully spark young readers to learn beyond the classroom curriculum.
Becky
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I rated this book from a kid's point of view rather than an adult's. While a little silly and shallow for adults, I enjoyed the fun stories and had fun trying to guess what moral would go with the story. An inventive and fun twist on the classic fables.
Teresa Garrett
I was hoping this sequel would be as fresh and fun as the first but I was disappointed. This book felt forced to me. I felt the character names and some of their situations were aimed more to adults than the children the book is marketed toward.
Rhiannon
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
funny
Krissy
May 23, 2016 added it
i felt like it was really funny and insteresting and how the author put the book together.
Melanie
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my favorites!!!!!!Everybody needs to read this book!!!!!!!
Karen Ruiz
i think there should be another book because the book went on kind of fast
Rebecca Heywood
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Continuation, still very cute.
Emily Wallace
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE these books. All grades (and teachers) will love these witty fun books. This one was just as wonderful as the first book. This is a perfect kid book!
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 7+
So incredibly funny!
Krista
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first one, but still an entertaining read with Cirdan. I like to hear him giggle.
Sarah Mae
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: clcsc-south-bay
Just as annoying as the first
Amanda
Aug 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Each chapter is a short story with a moral at the end.
Biviana
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is like our story :3
Kim
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Found the humor tedious. I'm definitely not the right reader for this book, unfortunately. Liked the premise.
Cheyne
  • Milagros: Girl from Away
  • Being Frank
  • Lexie
  • For the Love of Autumn
  • Behind the Masks: The Diary of Angeline Reddy, Bodie, California, 1880 (Dear America)
  • Piper Reed Gets a Job (Piper Reed #3)
  • The Secret-Keeper
  • Letters from Camp
  • Brownie & Pearl Get Dolled Up
  • Triple Trouble (Trading Faces, #5)
  • Porch Lies: Tales of Slicksters, Tricksters, and other Wily Characters
  • A Stolen Life
  • The Highest Number in the World
  • The Grannyman
  • Our Children Can Soar: A Celebration of Rosa, Barack, and the Pioneers of Change
  • Work: An Occupational ABC
  • I am Jackie Robinson
  • Finding Family
I have always been a storyteller. Even before I could write my name, I could tell a good tale. And I told them all the time. As a preschooler, I told my neighbors all about my three-legged cat named Spot. In kindergarten, I told my classmates about the ghost that lived in my attic. And in first grade I told my teacher, Miss Harbart, all about my family's trip to Paris, France.

I told such a good st