Start by marking “Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance” as Want to Read:
Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance

Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance

Karl Marx was right. The workers do control the means of production; 1.3 kilograms of brain holds the key to all our futures.

Successful companies are different from the competition, and difference comes from the way people think rather than what companies make. In the new world, it's talent that makes the capital dance. Business as usual is uninspired and that's no longer

Published December 10th 2002 by Financial Times Management (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Funky Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funky Business

Start your review of Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance
Ilona
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you are a younger reader, you might hardly understand why this book was so popular back in the day. Here are some examples for you which might correlate to possible experiences for you today and in the future:
- The authors are as excited as you will be when you will have the first all-included trip to a skiing resort on Mars.
- The authors are as enthusiastic as you will be during your first hologram "call" (probably there will be another name for this).
- The authors are using word "Funky" so
Bogdan
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This book is not taking any step forward from the line of "management and business" books promoted in US. For me it just another one from the series of Alvin Tofler, Stephen Covey, Denis Rivers and others. It is just a mix of known facts, but presented systemically, lots of quotes and "evidence" supporting one main idea.
I cannot say I totally agree their argumentation, but perhaps it is just the fact that I come from a different culture. Indeed the world has changed in the last 300 years dramati
Alexandra
Mar 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Left this one somewhere halfway through and am not planning on going back. Either it was my translation, or ...
Nenad
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
I may be a bit too hush but the book is, in many ways, like reading one of those believe in yourself cheap psychology books.

it's pop economics.

Nevertheless it makes some valid points, though do not expect an eye-opener.

The problem for me, maybe was that I expected much more due to the hype around the book and the authors - it was a bit of a let down.
Kiersten
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Started it, didn't finish it--couldn't get into it.
Bryce
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is about the future of business. The book was written in 2002 so is a little outdated however the principles in the book still apply to the real world today. If you have limited knowledge about how business is changing and transforming into the future then you’ll get some great info out of this book. If you’re well versed on the the state of the future of business then a more up-to-date book on the future of business would be more beneficial.
Nathalie Zivkovic
Jul 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
OUTDATED AND BIASED, don't waste your time

Not thought provoking at all. There is no thought.
A lot of provocative name dropping for the sake of name dropping, very "funky" way of telling History.

On the back cover of the book:"FB is rigourously researched..." - Business voice

Now, see p. 73 "The bureaucratic firm is dead. It is just too small for effective exploitation and too big for energetic experimentation". They are confusing wishful thinking and the reality. This is not research. For instance
Matthew Poyiadgi
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I read in 2007 - hugley inspirational and a pleasure to read.
Joe Raimondo
I saw Nordstrom speak at a conference -- very insightful. Everyone needs to create temporary monopolies.
Alberto
Jun 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It's a great book for entrepreneurs, but you must consider the context it was written at (before the whole dot-com boom), so it's outdated but the core idea is valid and enthusiastic.
Tania
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
over use of the word 'funky'.
Natasa Tovornik
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, society
I guess it is true what the authors write at the beginning - this book is not gonna tell you what to think, it is going to make you think.

A classic to star thinking differently.
Iulia Sorescu
Jun 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was skimming the book rather than reading it. I find it overly exalting, lacking consistence and outdated. Given the title, I expected a content related to business (which could have been interesting despite the period it was written), but the book is depicting that period, over-using the word "funky". Only the examples of business which adapted to changes happening back then are backing up the idea that for thriving in business you need to embrace changes and to adapt rapidly to those changes ...more
Sintija
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got to page 160 and all I got was “funky world, so cool, customers dictate everything, yay funky world”! I suppose I got tired of this reading it in year 2019, it probably was spot on when the book came out. Some interesting facts but all in all I expected more actionable recommendations or something. I’m not fond of the “This is so cool, look at some cool examples, then figure out how to be cool” way.
Irina Starodubtseva
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though the book was written more than 20 years ago, it is still relevant to modern economy. The possible reason for that is the fact that it deals with philosophical questions much more than with practical ones and has a special poignant language. There was no plot whatsoever and nothing revolutionary, but a bit of funny revelations...
Hermano
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read, I wish I had read this book 17 years ago. These guys were dead on as to what was going to happen in the business world. I saw them speak at a conference in Toronto years ago, and they are funny live.
Narek Manukyan
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Rather interesting in its time-frame though also rather long and twisting (the first 150+ pages could be summed up in about 50 max).
Dasha Vakhina
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
First I read this book in the first year of the business school and was excited about the new for me corporate world and business future. But the flow of ideas was too wide, so I couldn't get any clear conclusion from it. The I decided to read (actually to listen on my way to work) the book again upon my graduation...and after four years of university and some work experience I see these guys (btw I think they are really interesting and inspiring professors) mostly as theoretics. Their view of t ...more
Franco Arda
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is about the funky (business) world we are living in. All three books written by the authors are such a pleasure to read ... so informative ... unconvential ... and non-conform. The reader will take many notes about funky business is truly global, working values, globally linked society, senseless supply, deregulated life, tribalisation, innovation etc. We live in a winner takes all world where normal = nothing. It's funky out there, very funky.

PS; This book is an up-dated version of t
Luka
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Don't expect for it to reveal "hidden secrets you never new before in your life!!!", but it will sum up the today's world in such a lucid manner, being very clear about everything it touches - cutting right through the bullshit :)

It's funny that this book is from 2002, with ideas that 90 percent of your surroundings STILL don't understand and live by. You'll feel that especially if you have any contact with companies.

So get the hell OUT of that nursing home community and just read this.
Cosmin Cosma
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Good reading, enjoyable! But it lacks the practical side. Apart from a description of the nowadays way of doing business, written in a fancy postmodern style, no uses for learning something really applicable.
Peter Hutchinson
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: open-mind
This book was very enjoyable to read. I had similar thoughts to theirs so I was very pleased to see my thoughts come to life in someone else's book. It confirmed many things I thought about. I read it again and underlined points I learnt. Very good book.
Dmitry
Aug 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mybooks
Reads like Powerpoint presentation :))) Fun read.
Adrian
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a very interesting book, that helps you see and discover more about you, about how talent and an open mind can be used to climb the ladder of success.
Fredrik Stenbeck
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A classic of it's time.
Francis
May 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
A good book in its time. But it speaks about the unavoidable and constant change, so 14 years later it must be for definition obsolete. Anyway you can get some inetersting ideas from it.
Sergei
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Visionary and still relevant. Must read for the future minded.
Yevgeniya
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Is lost among hundreds of similar books
Vladimir
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading it second time to refresh and having much pleaseure again!
Javier
Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive.
I´m getting tired of this "one-idea" books.
Cat Eye Vintage Sunglasses 1 1 Apr 20, 2017 03:41AM

• Технология жизни. Книга для героев
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • The Truth: An Uncomfortable Book About Relationships
  • Music for Chameleons
  • Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence
  • Hollywood
  • The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists
  • Dead Babies
  • The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology
  • The Titan (Trilogy of desire, #2)
  • The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable
  • Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
  • The Stoic (Trilogy of desire, #3)
  • Пиши, сокращай
  • The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Men Who Hate Women and the Women Who Love Them: When Loving Hurts and You Don't Know Why

News & Interviews