Start by marking “Harry and the Lady Next Door” as Want to Read:
Harry and the Lady Next Door

Harry and the Lady Next Door

(Harry the Dog)

A classic I Can Read story featuring the beloved Harry the Dirty Dog!

Harry, the mischievous little white dog with black spots, tries everything he can think of to get the lady next door to stop singing. Every time Harry tries to stop her, he gets in trouble! Can Harry solve the neighborhood′s problem before he′s sent to the doghouse?

This is an irresistible story featuring
Published January 21st 1960 by HarperCollins (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Harry and the Lady Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry and the Lady Next Door

Hilary
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young children and dog lovers
5 stars for the illustrations and 3 stars for the text.

I love the illustrations, lovely 60's style and there's something I really like about this type of illustration that uses only two colours with black, white and grey. The choice of yellow and olive used here is beautiful and surprisingly effective. The illustrations are very animated and will appeal to dog owners who will identify with this dogs antics.

I was attracted also my the sheet music on the front page and the tuba on the back, I was
Casey
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers
I really enjoyed reading this book. One thing I really liked was the fact that the story was divided into three sections. The book fit very well in my text structure unit, when learning about problem and solution. Harry's problem was that he didn't like the lady next door because he didn't like her voice (she sang too much). The book was divided into three parts, and in each part Harry attempted to solve his problem. Finally, in the third part of the book he finds a solution. The fact that the b ...more
Kirsten Kouwenhoven
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
In Harry and the Lady Next Door, a dog named Harry is disturbed and irked by the loud and high singing of his neighbor lady. His antics to stop the lady from singing are hilarious. After being thrown out of the house for attempting to bite the lady's leg, he finds other sounds that are more pleasing to him. When he hears the low and wonderful sounds of cows and tubas, he tried to convince the lady also. Finally, the lady sings in a singing contest and when all the other contestants are scared by ...more
midnightfaerie
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A great book for kids who are reading level 3 or 4 and are pretty much independent readers. Also for ones, ready to start chapter books, which this is. My son liked this so much he read the whole thing in one sitting, but as many of you know, I'm a voracious reader, so it's only natural that my kids will (probably) be as well. Besides, if he reads extra than his daily reading, he gets "credits" toward fun things to do or special time with mom and dad. It's a win win for all of us. This one had l ...more
Rebecca
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
That cute little dog tries everything to get his opera-singing neighbor lady, who sings quite loud and high, to stop making such a racket that Harry doesn't enjoy. A solution is found in the end, but Harry does try many things before a happy ending is found.
Elijah Libert
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was nice that Harry got to hear some other music besides just loud noise. And I think that he did like the lady next door but he wanted to hear low and soft music once in awhile. Besides big voices.
Heather
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly useful book for a kid who doesn't like loud noises. It has also fueled his enthusiasm for the tuba. He has now decided that besides the tuba, the fiddle and gourd harp also say "oom-pa."
Marilyn
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I have a vague memory of this book. I remember that the pictures are cute and the storyline funny.
Alice
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I love Harry (remember him "the dirty dog?"). I love the old fashioned adorable illustrations.
Tracy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I love the illustrations, and the story is funny. Easy for a young reader to read.

I also did all the singing and sound effects myself, which amused me greatly. My kids gave me mixed reviews on my singing.

Amateurs.
Kristi
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, the lady next door that was very loud! Good story!
Judy
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This story felt a little too long and is somewhat convoluted. I like Harry the Dirty Dog better than this one.
Juli19
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a very funny story. It is about a dog named Harry and its neighbor (the lady next door). Harry does not like the lady next door because she sings high and loud that the noise hurts its ears. Harry tries different things to make her stop. Harry and his dog friends howl under her window but she keeps singing; Harry makes some cows go to the lady's house and they moo but the lady goes on singing louder. Harry makes the band go under the lady's window and it does not work either. Finally, on ...more
Cammym
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Harry hates the sound of the lady who is always singing next door. She never stops! She sings high and loud. She even comes over to give a concert at Harry's house! He can't stand it. So when he gets a chance to make off with some of her music, he runs with it. He hears all kinds of soft, low sounds, so he thinks he ought to bring them on over to the neighbor ladies' house so that she can learn how to sound better. However, she does not appreciate the cows or the brass band. But when the lady wi ...more
Myrza
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
Zion, G. (1988). Harry and the Lady Next Door. New York: HarperCollins Publishers. The illustrations just capture your attention when you begin reading. The author writes about how a dog and the neighborhood deal with a lady next door that can sing really high. The funny book shows the many ways that the dog exhausts to try and stop the lady from singing. The dog discovered that no matter how hard he tried to change something he had no control over, it all worked itself out at the end.
Krista
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I liked watching Mr. Mint get so excited about reading this book! Great I Can Read book, we split the book up in 2. Read first half in the morning then the other in the afternoon as not to overwhelm Mr. Mint as a struggling reader. After we were done the story was awesome, wholesome, nice to see Mr. Mint love it. Although Harry the dog causes a bit of a ruckus, Harry is adorable, easy to forgive. I would recommend this book to mom's with new or struggling readers.
Luisa Knight
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-can-read, children
I love the Harry books and this one is no exception! Give this to your beginning reader. They'll enjoy it immensely.

Reading Level: 1st - 3rd grades

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Dolly
Oct 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, pets, childrens
Funny story about Harry and his frustration with the loud, singing lady next door. It's a good story to read aloud with children and has a bit of an old-fashioned feel, as it was originally written 50 years ago. We have enjoyed reading all of the Harry books together.
Gabriele
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
got this book as a special treat for DS and it's super cute...poor Harry has to deal with his obnoxiously loud singing neighbor and has lots of ideas to get 'rid' of her! DS has loved reading this aloud to me!
Dianna
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Harry can't stand the lady next door's singing—he prefers low sounds—but she just won't stop. Happily, everything turns out perfectly for everyone in the end.

Even though I'm an opera fan, I found this story funny. My two-year-old liked it too.
Hockey Mama
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable bedtime story.
I love trying to make different voices and sounds while reading.
And trying to make the HIGH singing lady voice and the the LOW horn sounds had my kids in a fit of giggles.
This was a fun bedtime story.
Laura (Madsen) McLain
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reader
Proof that an early reader can have plot and characterization.
Greta
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly funny. My husband was in the room when I read it to the kids. He said it was the best book he's ever heard.
Peggy
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The lady next door sang. She sang high and loud. When she sang Harry's ears hurt." How can you not love a book that starts out like that?
Kate
Nov 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
W0w. Ouch. Not a positive story.
Kayles
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first books I read as a child. I must of read it about 20 times. I loved it and it made me love reading. Brings back great memories
Mandy J. Hoffman
A cute story in the series about Harry the Dog. These 'good ole stories' are sometimes the most fun to read.
Catherine Woodman
I love the Harry books
onmerryday
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Cute and funny little story. Lovely illustration, I especially like the limited color palette.
Lucia Benzor
Harry is a lovable dog. He has his own adventures! Easy to read, big pictures good for a read-aloud! Enjoyable!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sammy the Seal
  • The Fire Cat
  • Morris Goes to School
  • Little Bear's Friend
  • Angus and the Cat
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
  • Mouse Tales (I Can Read ~ Level 2)
  • Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • A Picture for Harold's Room
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book
  • Curious George Rides a Bike
Born on October 5, in 1913, Gene Zion attended the New School of Social Research and the Pratt Institute. In 1948, he married artist Margaret Bloy Graham, who then collaborated with him on all his picture books. When their marriage ended in 1968, Zion also ended his career as an author. Zion is best known for his creation of the rascally dog, Harry, who appears in such books as HARRY THE DIRTY DOG ...more

Harry the Dog (4 books)